For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Pet Sitter Staying At Quake's House or Known Pet Walker Three Visits A Day During Mom's Trip?
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    Hello,

I am planning on taking a short trip and I will be gone all day Friday and Friday night, all day Saturday and Saturday night and coming back home on Sunday afternoon. I am trying to decide whether I should ask my regular dog walker whom Quake (3 years old) loves to come over three times a day to walk and feed Quake or should I hire a pet sitter to come and stay at my home and pet sit Quake. I am concerned that Quake would be alone alot of the time. However, his dog walker lives a few doors down in the same condo building and Quake loves him. The pet sitter on the other hand would not know Quake other than meeting him a couple of times prior to my short vacation. I would appreciate suggestions.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I personally don't like the idea of my dog being home alone without someone. I understand that people have jobs and may not be around during their work schedule, but they are home outside of those 8 hours.

I've always preferred for Kira to stay with a friend versus have someone visit the house. She is used to having someone around at night and in the morning. When we go on vacation, she stays with my best friend who also goes to my house twice daily to feed the cats.

I'd recommend utilizing this forum to meet other Shiba owners in your area, meeting with them, and hopefully making connections to like-minded owners who would be willing to dogsit Quake for you.

I've met a wonderful handful of people on this and the Nihon Ken forum that will willingly watch Kira and I will also watch their Nihon Ken.

I hope this helps, good luck!
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
    Post edited by Kira_Kira at 2014-07-30 19:54:38
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    @Kira_Kira-thanks. Btw your Kira is absolutely gorgeous!
  • BootzBootz
    Ask dog walker for an exception and become a two day sitter?
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    Thanks for the suggestions. I talked to my dog walker yesterday and he said he could pet sit Quake at his condo and would also spend time with Quake at our condo so that Quake does not get homesick. He really loves Quake and Quake feels the same so I think it will work out.
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    That's a great solution! I'd be too nervous to leave my dogs alone too--anything could happen! (And of course, at the moment I still have young dogs that get into things!)
  • I have an update regarding leaving my adorable Quake to go on the trip I had mentioned in my previous post. I took a trip to NYC this weekend to go to a concert on Friday night and I stayed the night in NYC then got back home to DC late Saturday night. Quake's dog walker works from home on Fridays so he made several visits to Quake on Friday and took him out on several long walks and then over to his condo to play with his dog Shadow who is good friends with Quake. Then later Friday night he took Quake back to our home to sleep so he would be familiar with the surroundings. On Saturday he took Quake to his home all day and Quake played with Shadow. They even took Quake and Shadow to an outdoor restaurant and Quake did great they said. Josh the pet sitter then took Quake back to my house later Saturday evening and left Quake with his dinner because Josh had tickets to the baseball game. I got home around 9:30 PM and Quake was super happy to see me. The only thing I noticed that was awry was that Quake had not eaten his dinner. He did eat after I had been back home about thirty minutes. Josh said he ate fine the rest of the time. I think everything turned out reasonably well considering this was the first time I had left Quake in 9 months.
  • jennjenn
    Yay, glad Quake had a good time while you were gone! :)
    Jenn, Shiba Slave to Rigby / http://hellorigby.com
  • @Jenn-thanks. I am too! His pet sitter really loves Quake and did everything he could so Quake would be happy.
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    Bump--

I took a trip to Hawaii for six days and Quake was left in the care of hisdog walker. This time Quake did not have any issues with eating or drinking while I was away. I asked the pet sitter to be on the look out for that. Quake did really well. The pet sitter really loves Quake and I think Quake felt secure with that. I came back to a happy little boy and I was very relieved and happy for that.
  • RikkaRikka
    That's good to hear!
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • RooneyRooney
    I might be doing some short travel trips for work and was just thinking about how I would really like to find someone I could trust to take care of Rooney if I need to be out of town for a couple days. My thought though is that Rooney is pretty shy toward strangers and I would really want to start socializing him with prospective dog sitters right away just in case.

I like your suggestion @Kira_Kira of finding some local Shiba owners who might be willing to watch him. I'll start following up on that right away. Any other suggestions?
    Allison, Rooney's Mom
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Dog friends. Dog friends are people that are my friends that have dogs and are active and passionate dog owners. They also know how much I care for mine. Best connections that you can make are with like-minded dog friends!

One of my friends has actually asked for me to watch her two dachshunds this weekend. The only requirement was that they be brought to the house a few weeks ago to ensure that they did well with my cats.

Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    You might be on the lookout for people around your neighborhood who appear to have a good bond with their dog and maybe make friends with them and their dog. That is how I found my dog walker. I saw how loving and wonderful he was with his dog and I started talking to him and then Quake and his dog became friends. The rest is history. :)
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    I wanted to add that for me it was important that the dog walker be familiar with the Shiba personality. My dog walker has a Husky and I have read that they have similar personalities to Shibas so that is why I approached him in addition to that he seemed like a really good Pet Parent to his dog.
  • RooneyRooney
    I have two potentials lined up. One is a friend of a friend who is going to start getting to know Rooney more so that she could be a sitter. Another is a woman about my age who lives in the apartments next door to me and who owns Rooney's fur-girlfriend, Fiona. Rooney and Fi whine to see each other any time they are out at the same time. Fiona's owner and I are going to start doing some more walks together, so we'll see how that goes.

I'm not going anywhere right away, but it's good to be prepared since I will be if my new position at work goes through (and it's looking likely that it will).
    Allison, Rooney's Mom
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    @Rooney-That is an excellent plan of action. I know what helped tremendously is that my pet sitter's Husky "Shadow" is best friends with Quake and that they live four doors away in the same condo building.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)