For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
My shiba rubs her neck into poop
  • Kaya_BearKaya_Bear
    I've had my Kaya for about a year now and this has occurred 4 times in that time. She will go outside to use the bathroom and end up rubbing her neck into poop. I believe its another animal's feces too (like a raccoon or possum). The 1st time it happened we didn't see her do it, we just smelled it a little later and it was gross to say the least, an emergency bath followed as it does each time this happens. This occurs at very inconvenient times too, like when I'm in a rush to leave and she acts like she'll die if I don't take her out so I do and she sniffs around and then sure enough I'll see the dreaded neck go down and start rubbing on the ground, and as before it's definitely the smelly stuff. So I have to hose her down or draw a bath and it's a pain for sure. If I catch her in time and I can detect the behavior and give her a stern "NO" I can avoid it happening but she is sneaky. I've read that this happens because the shiba is trying to hunt the animal so it's masking it's own smell with that of the animal's smell. Shibas are amazing hunters from what I've seen and read so this behavior would make sense. Just wondering if anybody else's shiba has done this. It is so gross!
    photo 8cdd9b46-aaa9-4cfc-8c3f-693b94b32da8_zps2ccdd366.jpg
  • BootzBootz
    You have a dog....dogs rub themselves in anything stinky, dead...or even stuff they want to "claim".

My Shiba does this all the time. She's 3 years old. We spend a lot of time together and I can tell the signs before she rubs. "NO!" is something i don't use often. I don't like the word "NO!" I use "leave it" so she'll ignore the item in question and move along during our walk.
  • JuniJuni
    It is normal behaviour but I've heard the idea that they try to mask their smell is not valid.
    Any animal with a good nose will smell poop and dog and will not be fooled. Or let's say a deer that would smell poop and a wolf will not linger at that place, it will still smell danger.
  • RikkaRikka
    Pretty much what @Bootz said. She's the master of dog advice. ;)

I also avoid "No!" because it's used in daily conversations all the time and repeating it can be annoying... I use "ah-ah!" or "leave it" for Sagan. He gets the jist.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • MayamaMayama
    But they still look cute being gross... LOL!

Maya rolling in horse poo.

Shiba Inu Maya's blog and FB page
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Gross to us, but an absolute delight to them...

Roll of 28, Day Fifteen: Simply irresistible

Bowdu doesn't do it when he's on leash. But when he's off leash and finds his own stash of cow or horse poop, it's basically fair game. Nothing I say will deter him, so the blame is on me for letting him have access to the poop in the first place. I just give up and take pictures as evidence that yep, my dog is a dog after all.

Horse poop jackpot!!!

It's one way dogs entertain us AND themselves, I guess...
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • SayaSaya
    Saya my shiba never done this.. She did it once in her five years of live and it was just grass no smell was on her when I smelled her.

Bella on other hand if mood strikes her she'll roll in coyote poop or deer poo. Most times she eats deer poop, but sometimes she'll roll in it. I haven't gotten it on picture or video yet. lol

There is no really known reason why wolves and dogs do this.. Some say to mask scent others say they do it to bring a scent to the pack. Or maybe they just like the smell so much they want to have it on them. haha

If the poo is raccoon or possum be careful. I know with raccoon poop it might have parasite in it.

Info on this site. Though it shouldn't be an issue long as you wash the dog and your hands.. Remove the poop etc.

Wonder if you can do something to deter the raccoons.. Like repellent like they use for deer, rabbits, cats and dogs.. I never had need keep them out. have no fence and bit yard so it would be costly to do so.. :\

Grossest thing Bella has done was ate a dead mouse with maggots plus her rolling in poo. Omg!

Grossest thing Saya done well two things.. she found a rabbit head under the bird feeder.. guess coyote or whatever left it there for later. Saya ate the ears and left the head. lol

Second gross thing she found a raccoon arm at side of the yard close to the house.. It was freaky. She was just sniffing it. I told her to leave it had her sit and stay got paper plate and bag to get it. I took pics of it, but not posting as it is yucky..

Saya did once try eat horse poo and deer, but I told her leave it after that she stopped.

Working on drop it and leave it command might help some, but that takes time you gotta work up from low value item to higher valued kind.

Some dogs are just dirty little guys.. My brother wife's mother has two labs who goes swimming and roll in dead fish they find on the shore.. Labs stink, but lab rolled in fish even worse!

While working with the dog I'd keep him on leash especially if your in a hurry to go somewhere.
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • Kaya_BearKaya_Bear
    Thanks for the info all, didn't realize it was such normal behavior. She doesn't do it often so it seemed strange.

And also I understand why people wouldn't use the word "no" but I don't see the harm in it and will continue to use it when my dog does something that may harm her, something else or someone else.
  • Kaya_BearKaya_Bear
    Also didn't even think about parasites in the raccoon feces, thanks for the heads up. We have a trap we just need to put it out, but luckily the animals only come around rarely. My boyfriend's lab has never rubbed herself in feces so it was weird when Kaya did it, but now I see it's not so weird.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    There are a lot of different theories as to why dogs do this. The one I find most fascinating is this:

Of course, dogs aren't wolves, so not so sure it would apply to domesticated dogs. Don't know...maybe dogs just like it?!

Kobe has done it a few times. He rolled on a dead bird, and on a dead mouse the other day. Is he trying to communicate something to us? It's an interesting question.

I agree with others...a good 'leave it', strong recall, and attention/knowing your dog are the best ways to stop this.
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • seastar135seastar135
    Both my shibas love to rub themselves in another dog's pop. When we are at dog parks, I have to extra cautious that they aren't running off into the corners where other dogs have gone to eliminate. haha.
  • micomico
    Horse or fox pooh are Suki's perfume of choice and when the local farmer dresses his fields she's in heaven. Thankfully she loves having a bath but I wish the fox wouldn't choose to pooh in our garden late at night because 11pm baths aren't fun when you're up for work at 6am!
  • RAM25RAM25
    My Shiba once rolled around in a lambs tail that had just dropped that was disgusting!
  • CrystalWolfCrystalWolf
    Hahahhaa this thread is so interesting. I'm lucky enough to live in the suburbs. No raccoons, foxes or deer poop ect for Riku to roll in. He doesn't do it at the dog park either.

I also find it interesting shibas like to do this as they are known to be clean.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (3)