For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Yay(sarcasm) Toy Aggression and A fight
  • Sigh... So I'm posting a new topic because it's not really a cry for help but more sharing what happened.

My dogs got into a fight last night over a rawhide bone. Note I don't usually give them rawhides but I was having work done on the house and needed lots of things to keep them occupied. I've had a couple of fights before and sorted them out quickly but this time... well I'll explain.

So they taunt and steal toys from each other all the time and I just let them sort it out, it usually ends quickly and they both go their separate ways and are fine, in fact they've both been getting better with it. This time Kuma attacked Oslo when he came up to get the rawhide and I couldn't step in quick enough. Oslo hates conflict but couldn't get away so retaliates, this ended up with me grabbing Kuma by the back and picking him up. Oslo got Kuma on the ear, not bad just a nick but it bleed a bit, he didn't seem to notice it at all. Like all their fights it ended just as quick as it started. Oslo was terrified but got over it and they were in the same room within minutes no problems. Rawhides in the bin and no toys in the bedroom that night just in case, all is back to normal more or less.

Today Kuma had one of his toys, not a high value one mind you. Oslo came up to Kuma and he started again but I stepped in quicker and problem avoided. While I don't like removing toys after an event like this I did. Urgh looks like I need to do some serious training with both of them now, last thing I want is two dogs that can't be in the same room as each other.

So first step is walks, more of them, after all a tired dog can't be bothered to start as much trouble right? Next some good old fashioned redirection and positive reinforcement, for instance Oslo had a ball today and Kuma kept trying to steal it so I called him over got a sit and wave and treat. A couple of repetitions later and Kuma is already ignoring Oslo then finally laying down just watching. Huzzah progress already, the same will be done for Oslo but he's not food motivated so I may need to revert to putting him in the bathroom a minute or two as a last resort(I haven't had to do that since he was a puppy but it was effective after the 4th or 5th time). Luckily(fingers crossed) it's only toys and they still play together so it's not the end of the world just yet.

God dogs are stressful and we just had to get two difficult breeds of dog didn't we. Anyway this is going to be a long term thing and really this is all my fault for not being stricter on them.

Thanks for listening.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @oslo_and_kuma - There are TONS of threads about resource guarding issues. Even though you wanted to share you story, you can share your story in an existing thread that is relevant to the issue at hand (pick one, there are dozens). Since this is a common topic that already has many threads on it, I am going to close this one.

However, feel free to post your story in one of the many resource guarding threads. You will probably also want to read through some of those threads for some advice on dealing with this.

Thanks!
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (4)