For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Wolf Park...an Educational Journey
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    I'm pretty sure most of you know I'm a huge fan of wolves. I think they are one of the most intelligent, loving, beautiful....yet misunderstood animals. From Little Red Riding hood to the werewolf movies and other misleading Hollywood accounts of them being aggressive bloodthirsty creatures. And yes, to the whole equally scary 'Dominace' debate.

Wolf park has been doing some incredable research to dispell all of the myths about wolves, about dominance, and introducing the general public to these beautiful canines, through educational seminars, guided tours, special events and yes...howl nights!

I am hoping this thread will offer a basis of understanding wolves and how current research is not only relevant to wolves, but also to our domestic canines.

I will be taking my journey in early October to Wolf Park. Can't wait!!

Official Wolf Park website:
    http://wolfpark.org/

Good blog post:
    http://blog.smartanimaltraining.com/2014/07/07/wolf-park-for-the-love-of-wolves/
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • SayaSaya
    I hope you have a good time there. :)

Wolf park is a nice place the amount of space the main pack gets is great.
    I haven't gone recently sadly been kinda busy and not able too.. Might go next weekend.
    photo DSC_0288_zps5e135fb0.jpg

photo DSC_0124_zps58d32f74.jpg

Dharma enjoying her pumpkin. :) She is young in this pic.
    photo 1_zpsec3f060b.jpg

Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Great pics @Saya! So lucky having it (basically) at your back door!!

Good read:
    http://www.wolf.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/scientificclassificationwolves.pdf
  • SayaSaya
    @kobe1468 I saw someone recommend this book and it looks interesting. Sounds good book for this thread. :)
    Among Wolves: Gordon Haber's Insights into Alaska's Most Misunderstood Animal
    http://www.amazon.com/Among-Wolves-Insights-Alaskas-Misunderstood/dp/1602232180

I never read this so not sure on it, but looks good. Sad he died. Sounds like a good wolf researcher.

“This extraordinary collaboration between Alaska writer Marybeth Holleman and the late world-renowned wolf biologist Dr. Gordon Haber is informative, gripping, passionate, and revealing. It takes readers deep into the culture of Denali National Park's wolf family groups through Haber's 40-plus-years of exacting observations, and then deep into the mire of Alaska wolf politics.”
    (Interdisciplinary Studies in Literature and Environment)

I'll have to order the book this weekend.
    Photobucket
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Thanks @Saya....book looks very interesting. He died in a plane crash while doing the research he loved...sad.

I googled his name and came up with this very good article on wolf conservation:

http://4thenaturesake.wordpress.com/2013/11/22/gray-wolves-betrayed-by-u-s-fish-and-wildlifre-service-decision/

As much as I don't think it's appropriate for this thread to become a plea for wolf conservation, I do think it's incredibly important to understand the ramifications of hunting wolves and delisting a whole subspecies.

ETA...I honestly know very little if Haber's work. This article goes into great detail on his life, his (at times) controversial research, and his overall love for the subjects of his studies:

http://m.anchoragepress.com/news/searching-for-gordon-haber-and-the-wolves-he-loved-/article_52938079-4451-5e71-9ca1-10a34ea0ee7b.html?mode=jqm
    Post edited by Kobe1468 at 2014-07-15 21:59:22
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Thinking I better link this Forum thread as well!

http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/9223/national-geographic-magazine-february-2012/p1
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    More great reading...this book sounds fascinating!

http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/theotherendoftheleash/a-wolf-called-romeo
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    I said this thread shouldn't be about promoting wolf conservation, but this really caught my eye, being I was born and raised and lived in WA State for nearly 26 years...

http://www.cascwild.org/state-fish-and-wildlife-commission-denies-petition-to-require-nonlethal-steps-to-manage-washington-wolves/

I'll keep my personal opinion about this out, but since I wanted this to be an educational thread, thought I'd at least post it and let anybody who cares form their own opinion.

While I'd rather this thread serve as a tool for helping us understand the contrasts/comparisons between wolves and domisticated dogs, I can't help but feel obligated to point out the injustices wolves suffer.
  • natashanatasha
    This is really sad. In South Africa we have a similar problem where peoples' livestock was targeted by cheetah. In order to stop the farmers killing all the cheetah, a program was started whereby the farmers were given Anatolian shepherd dogs to guard their flocks.
    This was successful in two ways: 1-the dogs drove the cheetah away, and 2-the farmers didn't have to shoot the cheetah in order to protect their animals. The dog club that I belong to actually donated the funds to buy an Anatolian shepherd which was then donated to a farmer.

Mind you, we now have an even more serious problem as all our rhino are being killed mercilessly by poachers who sell rhino horn, and thus far trying to protect them has been a losing battle. X(
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    I remember watching a show about the Anatolian's in Africa. Nice to see them being proactive in using non lethal means.

As for the rhinos, that's just a shame. Unfortunately, $$$ seems to trump common sense and compassion.

ETA: just a quick description of the Anatolian Shepherd:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatolian_Shepherd
    Post edited by Kobe1468 at 2014-08-04 17:03:04
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Leaving for Indy tomorrow AM...excited! Seminar is Friday(all day), will try and post some pics and share some of what I learn.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Great trip so far.(despite the crappy weather). A few pics, more to come once I get Monty Sloans CD he made for us of over 1000 photos from today. I kept my own pics to a minimum as the weather sucked.

Welcome to wolf park
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Dharma howling

Wotan(in main enclosure with Dharma)

More to come!
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Dharma

Wotan taking a 'break' from us.

I must say I was very impressed with the entire wolf park experience. From Pat to Monty to all the interns and volunteers, they do an amazing job assuring everybody has a safe, educational and highly rewarding experience.

I'll post some more when I get home. And I'll share some pics (from Monty) of ME and the wolves, as well as a little of what I learned.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Great shots so far! So jealous of the amazing experience that you have had, hope to see more great pictures!
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Here's a few more...

Wotan and Pat

Dharma and Wotan waiting for us to enter the enclosure

Two more of Wotan
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    A few observations of my visit to the park...

Pat Goodmann started the morning with a short talk about captive management, followed by a safety orientation before we entered the enclosures. Pat is a good speaker, with almost 40 years at the park! She covered a broad list of topics, including training. Many familiar terms were used, like operant conditioning, positive reinforcement, clicker training. The Wolf Park animals are all trained using PRT techniques. Pat admitted is wasn't always the case, but once they committed to PRT, she said training became much easier and a lot quicker.

The wolves are all leash trained, and often get walks outside of the enclosures. They gave us an example, walking Renki on leash. He pulled a bit, but was also very excited with his visitors.

I was surprised to find out the wolves all have strong recall. Pat said it's very easy to train and they learn very quickly. They also know basic obedience commands.

Pat didn't spend much time on the D word, however did say that she gets amused when people come to her claiming their dogs are acting dominant towards them.

I met 8 of the 10 wolves. Each, of course, has it's own personality and comfort level with humans. Some, like the elder Marion(my fav!) was shy at first, and took some time to warm up to us. Then you have the twolings(Fiona, Bicho and Kanti) who were all over us the second we entered their enclosure. A very energetic trio, I must say! But they were fun. Ayla, Dharma and Wotan were all reserved at first, but quickly warmed up to us. I didn't meet Wolfgang(although he was back in the main enclosure with Dharma and Wotan in the afternoon, so I did see him), or Kailani, who isn't allowed to meet new humans.

It was interesting to see how the wolves interacted with us, as opposed to other wolves. They are all socialized to humans, yet are wolves, and many don't get along. Most of the females don't get along. Wolfgang and Wotan(brothers) get along most of the time, yet sent their older brother Renki packing from the main pack. And then there is Dharma, who got under Wotans nerves a few times while we were with them.

Guess my point is, they may be socialized but are still wolves, and interact amongst themselves almost as wild wolves would. Some interesting dynamics going on there!

In the afternoon, Monty Sloan spoke a bit on enrichment. From the human interaction, to fun toys, such as paper mâché footballs, big balls with holes in them, and even the yellow pages(what a mess!). They also have special events that add an enriching experience to the wolves.

Wolfgang has been taught to dance! I didn't see it, but he can stand on his rears and jump backwards! Multiple jumps. One of the staff will grab is front paws and dance back and forth with him. Pretty cool!

My visit has me wanting more. I'm planning on going back, in the next couple of years, for a three day seminar. Interacting with these beauties has been such an enriching experience. Yes, you can go to a zoo and watch them through a fence or plexiglass. You can gauge their outer beauty by looking at pictures or even a freak spotting in nature. But until you come face to face, hands on, muddy paw prints all over you and saliva all over your face from all of the kisses, I don't know if you can truly gauge the inner beauty of these wonderful creatures!

On a sadder note, Wolf Park recently lost their two red foxes(I think it was kidney issues(?)) in a two-three month span over the summer. While I did see their Coyotes, I didn't see their grey foxes. Didn't know if they were still there? Maybe @Saya knows?
    Post edited by Kobe1468 at 2014-10-04 22:56:57
  • JuniJuni
    It sounds like a very interesting visit!
    I can't help wonder though what they meant with enrichment. Enrichment is what you do to allow them to act on their natural behaviours in regards to eating behaviour, pack/family, hunting, guarding. Meeting people would not be enrichment in my point of view.
    And the fights between them sounds more like what happens with captive wolves than wild ones. In the wild they might have separated and created other family packs.
  • Great photos, and it's really interesting to hear about them too!

there is a wolfpark here in NM too, that also has Singers and foxes. I went out a couple of years ago when my mother was visiting from Alaska. (she loves wolves). It was cool to go, but they were all about the alpha/dominance thing, which was a bit much for me. And the guy who runs it kept talking about the wolf was his soulmate, which was also a bit much for me. However, even if some of the talk bothered me, they do good work--they take wolves and wolf dogs that people can't place anywhere else. The Singers were from the guy that had a bunch and was shut down a few years ago? Somewhere in the midwest, or perhaps a bit further east like PA? I don't remember--@Saya might, because I remember we were posting about it when he got shut down.

I don't see any reason, either, that this thread can't be about wolf conservation too! :)

I'm going down to the Gila Wilderness area soon....where the Mexican Gray Wolves were reintroduced. I doubt I'll see one--I'm not camping, and will probably only go on some basic hikes, not too far out in the backcountry. But my vet told me they were down there, maybe 6 or 7 years ago, and saw some elk running past them like crazy, with a wolf after them....Clearly a wolf, too. They were thrilled....such a rare thing to see....I've seen wolves a time or two in Alaska, but even then, it's not a common sighting.
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2014-10-05 02:30:00
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    @Juni here's a definition of environmental/behavioural enrichment...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_enrichment

As far as fighting, I saw none. But as it was explained to us by Pat, Wolfgang and Wotan ran Renki out of the main pack, just as would happen in the wild.

Dharma, I think, was irritating Wotan by getting into his space. Don't know if it was intentional or not, but I wouldn't say this behaviour is limited to only captive wolf packs.
  • JuniJuni
    I think I have a fairly good idea of what enrichment is, I've taken classes for a man who is one of the most prominent ones in Sweden. He's worked a lot with captive wolves among other things.
    And I still wouldn't class being habituated to meet humans on a regular basis enrichment for a wolf.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Meeting people is only a small part of it. Introducing novelty into their environment is, IMO, extremely enriching.

I shared the definition of environmental/ behavioural enrichment as you questioned what they meant by enrichment. Was simply trying to explain what they meant.

ETA...Juni I'm sure your experience is valid. It must have been awesome studing under a prominent researcher/instructor.

There has been recent research showing that human interaction with captive wolves does constitute an enriching experience.

http://doyoubelieveindog.blogspot.ca/2014/02/scientific-approaches-to-enriching.html?m=1

Interacting with humans was only one example of enrichment that I shared. Don't want to get too hung up on it. I gave other examples, as well. If you prefer to disagree, that's fine with me.
    Post edited by Kobe1468 at 2014-10-05 23:30:46
  • JuniJuni
    I will read the article, it may change my mind about it. I totally agree about novelties would be enriching at least :-)
  • SayaSaya
    Sorry you didn't get to see the grey fox they still have them. They're bit skittish. I got some pics of them.
    Here's one up in the tree. that's why they have the enclosure fully enclosed. hehe
    photo DSC_0245_zpsdea22b3b.jpg

Pic of Ember they were giving her fluids at the time. They had to cut it short as she had enough. She did well though.
    photo DSC_0273_zps91e10512.jpg

They used to do bison/wolf demos, but they had to stop due to Aphis or something like that. I forgot the name of it.

I been to a few and it was neat. The wolves mainly explored the bison enclosure, rolled in bison patties(poo) some of the times investigate the bison. If they had a young bison the bison would surround it to protect the young bison.

Sometimes the teenage bison would test the wolves and they'd chase the wolves off, but none ever got hurt. They had staff there and only did two wolves never the whole main pack.
    photo DSC_0251_zps0af4eaa4.jpg

I find they provide plenty of enrichment especially if you compare to other zoos who have smaller enclosures. The main enclosure is pretty big. Every time I've gone they looked good and healthy.

Pic of Ember and Devon. They also had a white red fox he was a fur trade fox that someone got for a pet and coarse it didn't turn out to be good pet so the wolfpark took him. He walked good on leash due to being raised as a pet.
    photo a-5_zps21a37260.jpg

Some bison pics. :) They love apples.. hehe
    photo DSC_0417.jpg

photo DSC07339_zps219c7c36.jpg

The wolves do know training commands, but they're wolves and they make sure to tell people that they're not tame or pets..

One thing I know is founder of wolf park Eric was an amazing guy too bad he passed away and you couldn't meet him.

I listened to him few times talk about how he got started and about wolves and it was nice he definitely caught your attention.

Sorry about the rain @Kobe1468. :\ I had to walk Bella in the rain Friday as my brother and his wife came over from Louisiana and I had to get Bella in for a run or she would not be well behaved with guests she needs her exercise rain or shine. lol I was soaked.

Saturday we did another walk it wasn't too bad, but Bella coarse decided to run across the muddy area by the pond. lol

currently decent out so planning to get them for walk..

Also to get back on topic we saw a fox in the woods.. Bella went for it, but stopped when we called her. I didn't see it in time before Bella did to tell her to leave it luckily she is good about coming right away when called.

Nice to see fox in the woods again as it's been awhile.

I hope rest of your trip goes well.

I need to go visit wolfpark again soon.
    Photobucket
    Post edited by Saya at 2014-10-06 12:21:24
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    @Saya...yeah, the weather was horrible on Friday. I took those pics during the morning session in the main enclosure. I didn't take my phone out in the afternoon as it was raining steadily. So I wasn't able to get any of my own pics out at the East Lake enclosures. I'm waiting for Monty's pics...they'll be much better anyway, he's a gifted photographer.

They mentioned the wolf/bison demos, but can't remember which group got them to stop doing it. Would have been neat to see.

Neat that you saw a fox in the woods. And yes, would have been nice to have seen the grey foxes at the park.

We went back for a very chilly howl night Friday, then headed back up to Plymouth, Mi for a hockey game Saturday night.

Great trip overall!
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    One thing I forgot to mention...was talking to Pat about Shibas. She said Monty Sloan's roommate had a Shiba, which she referred to as...

"John Wayne reborn as a small plush toy"

Made me laugh!

Just one more bit on enrichment. I have no doubt that human interaction is enriching to the Wolf Park wolves, as well as any well socialized captive wolf. The wolves enjoy the interactions, and some, like Dharma, have took it a little further by teaching the humans to rub the inside of her hind leg...should see the look on her face! And Ayla loves belly rubs.

The research has shown that the wolves even interact with each other more positivly when humans are amongst them.

As long as the interactions are stimulating in a positive way, I don't see how they can't be enriching.

I'm still waiting on more photos...hope to share them soon.

ETA: Didn't know I had these pics on my phone.

Dharma will lift her leg to encourage people to rub the inside of her leg
    Post edited by Kobe1468 at 2014-10-11 16:41:23
  • SayaSaya
    Love the pics of Dharma. :) Dharma one of my favorites.
    Photobucket
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Some of Monty's pics...

Our group with Dharma(sniffing my hand)

Kisses from Marion

Renki demonstrating his leash skills

Dharma, Wolfgang and Wotan

Howl night

Will post a few more later.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Interesting article....not real familiar with them, but they are absolutely beautiful!

http://magazine.africageographic.com/weekly/issue-16/ethiopian-wolf-rarest-canid-cry-wolf/
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    A few more...

Not my best expression!! The mud was flying, and we had just entered the enclosure!
    Dharma jumping up on me..

Kisses from Ayla

Having Fun

Just for fun!!!!!!
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I can't get over how socialized and friendly they are! I wish I could do something like this. Dharma looks like a sweetheart.
    imageimage

• Kobe1468Kobe1468
    The socialization starts at 2 weeks( critical time for wolves is 2 weeks to 6 weeks). The pups spend 24/7 with humans, and are bottle fed. They are raised by both male/female, as to not develop a fear of a certain gender.

They are introduced to the vet(for obvious reasons), and very importantly, learn bite inhibition(as well as other training, which I never got to clarify about).

Pat says the stress on the mothers is limited, so long as the pups are close and they know they are still nearby. I guess this could be controversial...I think I would like to see it for myself before I totally accept it...however, Pat is great and I doubt she would lie.

I'll be going back next July for a 3 day seminar with Ken McCort. It will be more classroom intensive, so I hope to be able to learn much more, and ask lots of questions. He, from what I understand, will do more of a comparative presentation between Wolves and domestic dogs...which is where I'd like this thread to eventually go.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    http://www.everythingwolf.com/news/readarticle.aspx?article=38

I found this tonight. Great message from Pat...hopefully will answer any questions regarding captive, well socialized wolves, and why they are so beneficial to study/research.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Some new research...

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S037663571400271X

• Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Good news(IMO)...

http://blog.wolfpark.org/wolves-in-great-lakes-states-ordered-returned-to-endangered-species-list/

Will be interesting to see how the appeal goes.
    Post edited by Kobe1468 at 2014-12-21 23:07:47
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    New interesting research...

http://www.companionanimalpsychology.com/2015/01/do-hand-reared-wolves-get-attached-to.html?m=1
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Nice pic of Ginger having some fun!
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    This is an interesting read...

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/dogs-and-their-people/201504/did-dogs-hack-the-oxytocin-love-circuit
  • SayaSaya
    Love the pics of Dharma. :)

Wolf park has two new fox now. Red fox named Scarlet which was a pet, but was confiscated due to owner not having license and newest is named Joker.

http://blog.wolfpark.org/meet-wolf-parks-newest-resident-joker-the-silver-fox

I've seen Scarlet haven't been back yet to see Joker.

Scarlet likes getting pets from staff she is more friendly since she was raised as a pet kinda like Basil the white red fox they had while ago he was a pet too, but re homed since fox don't make the best pets.

Hope you have a good time in July! :D
    Photobucket
  • I'm so jealous I wish I lived near a wolf park haha
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468

I'm so jealous I wish I lived near a wolf park haha

Be jealous of @Saya...almost in her backyard!(I'm jealous)

Thanks for the fox updates Saya. And yes, Dharma is one heck of a personality! Dharma=drama...what a character!

My visions of a July visit have taken a detour. Seems a new roof is more important, so hoping to go back in 2016. Just hoping Marion will still be there...what a sweetheart!
  • SayaSaya
    Yeah Marion is pretty old. I hope she lives like Kiri. Kiri was PTS at age 19.

I'm always amazing at the care they get. They eat well and coarse get vet care as needed. :)

I hope to go again haven't been back since they've opened. I'll have to post some pics I took at opening day they had a lot of people there.

The water was still frozen Monty, Pat, Wotan, wolfgang and Dharma went out on the water for some pictures.
    Photobucket
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Would be a great pic...out on the frozen pond!

Monty is a awesome photographer...his knowledge of the wolves is also very impressive. He's a good speaker as well.

@Saya...if you do go back this year, please ask Pat about her references to John Wayne regarding Shibas. She had a funny story. She may remember my email...if so, please tell her I say Hello!
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Sad news regarding Marion...

http://blog.wolfpark.org/marion-april-20-1998-april-22-2015/

I'm so honoured to have meet her in person. She was a sweet soul and a beautiful wolf.

Post edited by Kobe1468 at 2015-04-25 22:17:43
  • SayaSaya
    I see you saw the news. :( I was going to share the blog here, but you beat me to it.. I saw this on my FB feed.. at least she lived pretty long.

I'm glad you got to meet her. she lived a good long life!

I loved seeing Kiri he was very nice old age too.
    Photobucket
  • FoxysMumFoxysMum
    I thought about this thread a couple days ago while having a conversation with a couple that lives down the street from me. I had no idea 5 dogs live in that house..two of them are wolf dogs and they used to have two actual wolves. Turns out that husband and wife are involved with the Wolf Conservation Center in South Salem, NY (don't remember their titles). They invited me to bring my daughter and a few of her friends for a visit with their ambassador wolves. Planning to attend their evening Howl! program some time in May. I find wolves intriguing..super excited!
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    ^Interesting. While I believe Wolf Park is one of the main 'research' facilities, I know there are a lot of Wolf sanctuaries around the U.S. and Canada. I think they all do good work and are highly educational.

Some are dedicated to wolf hybrid's, functioning as both rescue and educational facilities. I think most do very good work.

The Wolf Park website has some great articles/research on wolf hybrids as well.
  • FoxysMumFoxysMum
    We've decided to do their "Sleeping with Wolves" program in May 15th. Its also a birthday celebration for Ambassador Wolf Atka. Its a cool program; you get the whole educational program, visit with the wolves, the evening howl, then pizza and bonfire, marshmellows etc..they provide you a tent and you get to sleep outside the enclosure. My daughter is psyched :-)

I don't know how involved this place is with research..I think they're mainly educational and have this whole program with raising litters of mexican wolves to be released. They also have some really cool 24/7 live wolf cams in the dens and enclosures. nywolf.org
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    ^sounds like fun! Would love to hear about your experience and pics as well! Enjoy!
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    OMG....very sad and unexpected news...

http://blog.wolfpark.org/dharma-april-27-2010-june-9-2015/

RIP Dharma.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Oh no! The article is vague, do they not know who/what she fought with that caused her injuries?

She was so young, RIP.
    imageimage

Post edited by Kira_Kira at 2015-06-15 07:33:00

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (3)