For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Moving with 2 shibas to North Carolina!!! NC Shiba owners - PLEASE READ!
  • MamaYokoMamaYoko
    Hi all! It has been SO long since I've checked in on here. We are officially moving with Yoko and Sienna, our 2 rescue shiba girls, to Mooresville, NC, from WI! BIG change for us. We found a house in Mooresville, and we are so excited. Besides advice on traveling with two shibas, I was wondering if I could hear from some shiba owners in NC! We will be looking for friends. We want to do some training of our dogs in NC. Any recommendations? We also will need in-home sitters for if we ever travel back to WI. We already have a couple names of some vet techs that do in-home dog-sitting, but any other advice would be great. Can't wait to hear from you all!
  • ekaseyekasey
    My girlfriend and I have two Shibas and live in the uptown charlotte area.

I don't have any recommendations for training as we do all of ours in house.

If you're looking for a good vet Matthews Animal Clinic has been awesome. I highly recommend Dr. Getz tell her Hanzo and Shinboi ( our two puppies ) sent you.

Sometimes I feel like we're the only Shiba owners around here but there's a few of us here and there.
  • MamaYokoMamaYoko
    Thanks so much! That's good to know. I desperately need a trainer...I'll have to ask around.
  • No advice, but how are Yoko and Sienna doing? I was following their progress, so I'd love to have an update! :)
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2014-08-14 00:28:46
  • MamaYokoMamaYoko
    They are doing pretty well. We absolutely adore them! We just moved out of our house last week and are living at my parents. They don't have a fence so it has been a nightmare. It's amazing how much more brave and friendly to people sienna has become. It has been amazing watching her grow. She still needs a LOT of work though. We are still having serious issues with sienna that we have been sort of putting off...she keeps pottying inside. We have tried letting her out every hour and nothing has helped. We are moving to NC on the 28th, so I'm worried she will pee in our new house a lot. Yoko has been her normal self but we have been having trouble with her being too rough with sienna. They have gotten in some vicious vicious fights recently because yoko doesn't know when to back off and really beats on her sometimes so sienna gets fed up. Having them tied up on leashes outside has made it extra difficult because they get wrapped up so the fighting gets worse. I am looking into a trainer in NC because I'll be working from home so I want my girls to be well behaved.
    Post edited by MamaYoko at 2014-08-14 22:35:21
  • sunyatasunyata
    MamaYoko said:

Yoko has been her normal self but we have been having trouble with her being too rough with sienna. They have gotten in some vicious vicious fights recently because yoko doesn't know when to back off and really beats on her sometimes so sienna gets fed up. Having them tied up on leashes outside has made it extra difficult because they get wrapped up so the fighting gets worse. I am looking into a trainer in NC because I'll be working from home so I want my girls to be well behaved.

EEK!!! Separate them now! Things are only going to get worse. And I really hope that you are not leaving them tied up outside unsupervised.

I know things are probably pretty stressful right now, which is most likely contributing some to the behaviour issues that you are seeing. However, you need to keep your dogs safe from each other. If Yoko is bullying Sienna, then you need to intervene and separate the dogs. If you fail to do so, things can escalate very quickly and can turn deadly before you can blink.

If you have not already done so, please take Sienna to the vet to rule out medical issues for her using the bathroom in the house. You will also need to go back to potty training 101, which means not only taking her out every hour, but supervising her when she is not in a crate or ex-pen. This will allow you to catch the behaviour in the act, redirect her, and then praise the heck out of her when she potties outside.

You should also be looking for a certified behaviourist and NOT a trainer. It sounds like training is not really the issue, but that your girls have some major behavioural issues that you need professional help with. Just make sure that whomever you decide to go with uses only positive reinforcement and negative punishment methods. This means NO aversives at all. That will only make the situation much worse.

Hopefully the move goes smoothly. Keep us updated.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • MamaYokoMamaYoko
    @sunyata I am always supervising them, don't you worry :), and I have been there to separate them in the 2 instances it has happened. The vicious fights have only happened since they have been tied up on leashes outside when they need to go potty. They have gotten tangled up and then it gets a little too rough. At home when we had a fence, they were more playful about it because they had room to run away from each other, so it never escalated.

We have already taken Sienna in, and our vet said she is in perfect health. We are constantly supervising Sienna, and we let her out when she thinks she has to pee (every hour) and she just goes outside and lies down in the grass. I try picking her up and getting her moving, and she still lies down. Then, she'll come inside and pee. We have caught her in the act before, redirected her, and she does not understand. Any other recommendations on things to try?

I actually tried the spray bottle method on Yoko today when she was starting to push sienna around and wouldn't listen to me...let me tell you, it WORKED. She was so sad when I sprayed her that she came right up to me with her ears down and bowed to me, as she often does when she feels sorry or wants me to give her kisses and pets. I haven't needed to use it again, but maybe I'll keep trying that.

I'm afraid to use it on Sienna though because she is just very sensitive still due to her puppy mill past. I think this is why we are having trouble training her with pottying...she just does NOT understand things...she is just so broken and we have to be careful not to terrify her when we try to correct her.
    Post edited by MamaYoko at 2014-08-15 12:59:38
  • sunyatasunyata
    @MamaYoko - NO!!!! Stop with the spray bottle. Remember, Shibas do not do well with aversive punishments. It might work for the first time or two, but it will backfire eventually and break down the relationship that I know you cherish with your pups.

Instead of allowing Yoko to even start bullying Sienna, it is probably best at this juncture to limit their interactions. If Yoko gets sprayed when she is around Sienna, she is going to start to associate Sienna with getting sprayed, which in turn is going to turn out very badly. :(

As for the potty training, there are tons of threads on the forum regarding it. Re-training an adult is just like training a puppy. Instead of just taking her in the yard, take her on a walk. When she does go (it may take a while, so make sure you have the patience to wait her out), praise the heck out of her with some scratches, super special treats, a squeaky toy, whatever floats her boat the MOST. Puppy mill dogs are hard to potty train, but it just takes dedication, patience, positive reinforcement, and a good routine to get it done.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • MamaYokoMamaYoko
    @sunyata Ok no more spray bottle! I only did it once.

As far as sienna, she has never peed on walks. She's actually pretty scared of leashes. So that makes it tough too. She's always scared of something and it really holds her back. She has never walked straight through on a walk...she stops constantly. She is so interested in new sounds and hates her leash. All these little obstacles are killing me!!!
  • sunyatasunyata
    @MamaYoko - Have you taken a training class with any of your pups? If not, it might be a good idea to go to one. You may have to take Yoko since Sienna is fearful, but it will be good for you to get the foundations of how to teach the pups new things in a positive way. You have to make it fun for the dog to learn.

Example: teaching a dog that leashes are excellent and wonderful things that lead to even more excellent and wonderful things. Use whatever food Sienna things is the most amazing thing in the world (peanut butter is a really good one for teaching leash manners, since you can put it on a wooden spoon and let them lick it when they are behaving appropriately). Start slow by leaving the leash on the floor so she can sniff it. Whenever she gets close to it, give her a treat. Then start clipping it to her collar/harness and treat. There are threads that go over this in more detail, so search for leash training threads to give you some ideas.

You may also want to think about bringing in a behaviourist to help you understand the dogs' body language and to get an outside opinion on how to make things more peaceful in your home. If Sienna's fear and anxiety is the biggest obstacle, you may also want to talk to your vet about giving her some anti-anxiety medication to help you over some of the bigger hurdles.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (3)