For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Our puppy is in heat - small blister on vulva
  • UrsasMomUrsasMom

Our Ursa is in heat. We don't plan to breed her, and she started her estrus one week before her scheduled spay. Naturally, we have rescheduled her spay surgery until after her heat cycle should be over. She is almost exactly six months old.

Everything seemed normal for the first few days, but a two days ago I noticed a small bump on her vulva. It has gotten slightly bigger and looks like it might be a small blister. She is a red sesame who has a black vulva, and the bump is light pink, so it's noticeable. I was just wondering if this could be a cause for concern or if it's just irritation from her heat cycle. It doesn't seem to be bothering her, but it's hard to tell because she's been cleaning the area a lot more since she's been in heat.

Do you recommend I take her to the vet right away or continue to watch it to see if it gets bigger or smaller? We're a bit inexperienced with dogs in heat and we're not sure if the bump is related to her cycle. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    It sounds like some sort of irritation, perhaps from licking, trying to keep herself clean. I'd probably call my vet and ask them if I should come in. If it irritates her, it could get worse with more licking, etc.
  • They will spay her while she is in heat. They just spayed my little girl (two days ago) and she was DEFINATELY 'single and ready to mingle!!!!". They just charged me an extra $25 for the 'complexity' of the surgery. I would say take her into the vet for the irritation, and ask them weather or not you should go ahead with the spay. :)
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    They can spay while in heat, but IMO it's bad practice and risky for the dog.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    Yep. Many vets (including my own) refuse to spay while in heat because of the risk, so Ursasmom's vet is following standard practice.