For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Help this owner get his Shiba back! (Colorado Springs area) This is a shame...
  • AddieThibAddieThib
    The owner's ex sold his dog while he was deployed serving his country. This makes me sick, and extremely sad for him. :(

Details here:
    http://cosprings.craigslist.org/wan/4501624012.html

Post edited by AddieThib at 2014-06-09 00:00:31
  • sunyatasunyata
    @AddieThib - This has already been posted in the Shibas on Craigslist thread:

http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/comment/225725#Comment_225725
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • curlytailscurlytails
    I'm going to reopen this one in light of new information, a Facebook group, and a news article that takes it beyond a "Shibas on Craigslist" topic. Thought it was worth adding these links, in the effort to locate Baxter via social media:

Facebook: Help Bring Baxter Home 2014
    https://www.facebook.com/bringbaxterhome29

News story from KOAA, southern Colorado:
    http://www.koaa.com/news/search-for-missing-soldier-s-dog-goes-viral/
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2014-06-12 14:23:48
  • ugh... I don't have any friends licensed in the Colorado bar to take this on pro-bono. Simple strategy:

1. Sue the girl. In discovery, her email and phone records will show to whom the pup was sold.

2. Confront the family. If they don't give it up voluntarily, they can be sued for purchasing stolen property.

3. Reunite with baxter.

• SayaSaya
    Thanks for reopening the thread. I definitely think this goes way beyond a craigslist ad of dog being re homed.

Thanks for the links.

Good ideas.

I hope this spreads on the news whoever got the dog gotta see it via facebook shares or news.. I'd feel so guilty if I had adopted a dog and found out it was sold under false reasons.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • curlytailscurlytails
    I do think it's worth noting that the rightful owner is being remarkably charitable in NOT wishing harm to his ex and trying to shield her identity, despite what she did...

Also, there is a reward for information leading to the recovery of Baxter.
  • poltergeistpoltergeist
    I really hope he gets his dog back. I'm thinking of all the horrible things that might happen to this dog; especially since there was a recent Channel 4 documentary on dog-fights and a lot of people get unwanted dogs to 'rehome' for this purpose. Argh. Makes me so damn nervous.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Update:

https://www.facebook.com/bringbaxterhome29/posts/242620489279117?fref=nf
    As of this morning the family who has Baxster has contacted Robby and Baxster is safe, please keep both families in your thoughts as we try to reach a resolution that is acceptable to both parties involved...Please keep this post positive

Not officially reunited yet, but lookin' good!
  • Also mentioned on the FB, the Colorado Shiba Inu Rescue has offered to help the family who currently has Baxter adopt another Shiba, if they decide to return Baxter to his original owner.
  • SayaSaya
    Saw this on FB.
    I'm hoping it keeps looking good and Baxter is returned.
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10152573188338939&id=114200373938
    Photobucket
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Social media is amazing when it comes to happy resolutions like this! So awesome that the family that had his dog understood and stepped forward! If it were me, I would pay for the adoption for their next Shiba. And sue the hell out of the ex...
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • SayaSaya
    This sucks. :( I hate back and forth stuff like this. I hope they make right decision and return the dog.
    Photobucket
  • Its an open and shut lawsuit. People purchased stolen property, found out it was stolen, and refuse to return it. I don't see why this is even an issue.

• jennjenn
    Shame on those parents for not returning the dog. Colorado Shiba Rescue has already offered to work with them to find a rescue Shiba for their family, and they should teach their children a valuable lesson about not keeping things that are not yours.
    Jenn, Shiba Slave to Rigby / http://hellorigby.com
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    It makes me crazy, too, how many people comment "but what about the children?" Frankly, I don't care about the children. They had this dog for a couple of months, tops. What about the guy who had this dog from a puppy? This is indeed, an opportunity for the parents to teach the children something about doing the right thing--you're so right, Jenn!
  • BootzBootz
    I hate parents like those....they put their children first before what is "right and wrong"

My aunt was like that....I left my empty re-usable bag on the side during our family meeting. Her son grabbed it and stored his stuff in it. I asked nicely when they were about to leave "Your son accidentally took my bag, can i please have it back?"

She promptly replied with "Is your name on it? How do I know if its yours, etc etc"

If the parents don't give back the dog and teach their kids between right and wrong, they wont get far in life. Sorry to say, but its true.

Also, if the parents get another rescue/Shiba...i'm pretty sure the kids won't miss Baxter.
  • omgtainomgtain
    This is why I wouldn't let anyone watch my dogs without having a contract written up. Most states have laws that if you feed the dog / cat for 7-10 days you are the legal owner (even if someone elses name is on the puppy contract or vet records).. It would be so easy for me to leave my dogs with someone who I thought was a friend just for them to turn around and decide to keep them or sell them.. Very sad it has to come down to this. :\
  • What bullshit. I cannot believe that this rotten family still has his dog. Might as well let a family keep an infant that was kidnapped after keeping it for a few months. "Hey, our kids are attached to it! They think of it as their sibling now!" Selfish, despicable, entitled parents. Letting this slide is basically saying that anyone is entitled to what you own at any given time as long as it's stolen by someone else first. I hope the dog gets returned soon and those snot-nosed brats (and their kids) keeping him captive learn a lesson.
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    I wonder how emotionally attached the parents will be when their legal bills start to rack up. Not to mention if they end up having to pay damages to the true owner.

The parents IMO have a very flimsy if no affirmative defense.
    犬竜
  • zandramezandrame
    This reminds me of the story of Raffiki the Ridgeback who was stolen in February and adopted out to a family before the rescue responded to calls from the owner. May 25, the original owner was told they cannot pursue the case and get their dog back.

http://m.bbc.com/news/magazine-26375008
    http://articles.latimes.com/2014/mar/03/local/la-me-0304-banks-lost-dog-20140304
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=850702071611865&id=799012673447472&refid=17

The key difference with Baxter's case - he was never held as property of the state to make the resale legal.
  • BootzBootz
    @Zandrame

Now you're scaring me. The story you posted, dog wasn't microchipped. Was Baxter microchipped?

Also the rule says 5-7 days for owners to look for the dog. Does this apply to microchipped dogs too?!??
  • NASANASA
    I wonder if it was considered "co-owned" property by the state. Because if it was simple as everyone is putting it, saying the other family has no rights to stolen property, Wouldn't a single call to the police solve the problem? They could force the others to give the property back. Esp. If it's stolen. Right? Then the purchasing family needs to sue the seller. Also why isn't the gf in jail or charged? Maybe he still likes her so won't admit to the law it was stolen for fear of getting her in trouble... OH. The scandal lol. ....

With all the attention this is getting I can imagine the backlash this family will get. The embarrassment as well walking a dog everyone knows is stolen. They bought the dog from craigslist
  • jennjenn
    That story about Raffiki makes me sick. She had to apply to adopt her own dog and they told her she wasn't fit? Ugh, what a terrible "rescue".
  • millerb7millerb7
    http://www.inquisitr.com/1303472/soldiers-dog-sold-on-craigslist-found/

UPDATE: per email correspondence with Spc. Gabbert, Baxter has been returned; we hope they are as happy together as in the picture below.

So apparently the dog and him have been reunited.
  • SayaSaya
    Excellent! :D I'm glad he was returned.

I saw one comment Yesterday that bugged me someone said he is being deployed again wouldn't it be better for him to stay with this family as they seem to be able to provide a more stable environment?

My thoughts on this the owner's parents are willing to keep Baxter till he gets back so I think it's better for the dog to be with the owner's parent's who must have met him at one point in his life. Eventually he'll be reunited once he is done on deployment.

I don't know a ton on how it works with being soldier, but I know it doesn't last forever and eventually he'll come home. I'm sure his companion will be a huge help in him recovering from it too! I never experienced war, but I know it can cause great stress and a lot of time the soldier can have ptsd.

I'm glad they got an update and things are good. :)

I decided to not argue on the comments as most times it does no good people don't listen or want to agree to disagree..

I hope they find a nice rescue shiba from the Colorado rescue there are many who need homes I'm sure if not in state I'm sure there is one in another one.
    Photobucket
  • jennjenn
    Oh so glad!

...and to add on to @Saya's thoughts, the article stated he will be back in 6 months. Definitely not that long in the scheme of things and this is a person who has owned that dog from puppyhood. I sure hope that family takes up Colorado Shiba Rescue on their offer, that way another dog finds its forever home. Kind of a win-win.
    Post edited by jenn at 2014-06-18 14:00:25
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I, like @Saya was really bothered by the people that tried to defend the new family's "stability" and the fact that they had children that already bonded to the dog. It made it no more right considering that they purchased the dog under false pretenses. I'm glad that the soldier will get him back, that is his rightful owner.
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Nice ending...very happy things worked out.

Not sure who paid the $1400, but I think if I was in this situation, I'd buy Kobe twice!!(not saying it's right!!)
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • thecody59thecody59
    Why did he pay to get the dog back he would have gotten it back for free. It was stolen property I don't think the family paid $1400 for him on craigslist they probably paid a couple hundred now a bet the family will be frowned down on everybody they know.
  • SayaSaya
    Yeah $1,400 seems like a lot for a re homed dog.. If it was me I'd make the girlfriend pay it up. She should pay them the price they bought him for.

Guess the high $ is due to them being attached, food and stuff.. I have seen someone trying to sell puppies for around $1,000 I flagged them as they looked like a breeder trying to sell pups not someone re homing.

I hope he gets the dog microchipped if he isn't yet so he has more proof that the dog is his..

Sad the family had to cave under pressure from Facebook and stuff. they should have given him up without that.I mean sure ask for some time to explain to the kids..
    Photobucket
  • http://www.inquisitr.com/1307601/robby-gabbert-gets-baxter-back/

I guess this is the latest update. Baxter is given back to the man's family, because he's still serving his tour overseas. The man's father gave a reward money...not actually paying for the dog.
  • SayaSaya
    That makes more sense. I hate multiple news articles like this always different story some truth and some half truths.. :\

Eitherway glad they got him back. I'm sure the family will find a new shiba who needs a good home.
    Photobucket
  • MayamaMayama
    I am glad it's a happy ending.

By following this story, I was a bit disheartened that the internet is always so quick to start shaming someone, whether it's the ex or the new family. We don't know their side of the story. I respect Robby for not leaking their names to the media. Hope the new family can find another Shiba to spoil soon.
    Shiba Inu Maya's blog and FB page

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)