For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Desensitizing to Train Sounds
  • Popcorn523Popcorn523
    Sorry if this is already addressed, I didn't see anything about train noises but then, the word "train" comes up a lot when you search the forum.

We're picking up our shiba on June 22nd and she's coming out to my parents very quiet home with me over the summer. Since I live near the subway line and a hospital in Cleveland, I'm worried about the train and ambulance sounds bothering the pup when we come back. It'll only be five weeks of being in rural-ish Colorado, but I'm worried she'll be starting to get into the suspicious/fearful age when she comes back to Cleveland.

The trains concern me particularly because while I barely notice it (we've lived here for four years), I feel like sensitive dog ears might have trouble remaining calm. The noises range from faint chugging, to brakes screeching (Metal on metal) to the occasional loud rumbles that set the glass in the door rumbling. Again, it's not so loud that it bothers us, but as I'm writing this, I can tell that there's a train chugging by. It's kind of like living with a constant, thunderstorm that ebbs and rises. We'll be living here for one more year before my boyfriend's residency, but I don't want it to be a traumatizing time. We also live very near neighbors and are hoping to avoid noise-complaints.

I've thought about recording the apartment's ambient noises and then just playing them in the background at my parents house, but I don't want to invest in a decent mic if playing it back through speakers is going to be too fake for the pup to associate. Has anyone had a situation like this? I've heard of playing baby noises to prepare a shiba for expecting owners, was that effective?
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Puppies are quite resilient to new environments and sounds, as long as they are positively introduced to them. I don't think you should worry about it too much, your puppy will acclimate just fine to your particular home environment.

My boyfriend likes to watch movies really loud on the surround sound and I get worried about Kira sometimes, but she hardly notices it because she is accustomed to it.
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • BootzBootz
    ^ agreed.

Plus I noticed my shiba can tell the difference between tv/recording and real life...
  • zandramezandrame
    Sounds like you will have your puppy in a "quiet" environment for a good part of her critical socialization period. This isn't limited to just trains and ambulances. You should take your puppy everywhere you can before 16 weeks, and let her experience lots of new sights and sounds, and people. Check out this thread for more - http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/5953/a-socialization-checklist-puppies-before-16-weeks#Item_30

A CD of background noises is actually a pretty good idea. My dog's breeder had a radio next to the whelping box, as well as an airforce base near by, lol! We left a stereo on for him as well when he was young.

Here are a few puppy CDs -
    http://www.amazon.com/Calm-Pet-Desensitizing-Sounds-Animals/dp/B002JVX1UO
    http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2590&ParentCat=123
    http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1927&ParentCat=123
  • Popcorn523Popcorn523
    Thanks, I'll try checking out the cds and the checklist.
  • GrayJJGrayJJ
    I have a related question:

My Shiba is now 3.5 and seems more and more sensitive to noise. He was well socialized as a pup, and adaptable to situations; but I find as he got older he's getting more nervous/anxious in new environments.
    I brought him to work where you can hear a lot of trucks/people walking and he was anxious all day :( his tail was half down, and although he would sit/lay down, he would growl quietly or bark every time we heard people/trucks/trains.

Any advice? Do I continue to bring him and hope he will desensitize? Or am I just going to traumatize him by pushing him into it?
    I'm sure he would rather be at home where its quiet, but I want to keep him well-rounded, too.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @GrayJJ - Socialization is a lifelong endeavor, not just for puppyhood. You will probably need to go back to square one with socialization to help him adjust to new sights/sounds/places easier. Make it fun and positive.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)