For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
  • Post edited by sunyata at 2014-05-08 08:46:06
  • KireielaysonKireielayson
    Yes, you should report the incident to the police/ animal control! Even though the owner has given you his info (good for him), it should still be reported. A dog that attacks without provocation needs to have a documented history.
  • knnwangknnwang
    Is banjo okay?!
    Post edited by knnwang at 2014-05-08 00:56:22
  • He is in surgery now. I'm a grown man crying in the vets office.
  • knnwangknnwang
    I know. Hurts watching family in pain. :(
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • curlytailscurlytails
  • BootzBootz
    I'm so sorry this happened. I hope Banjo heals quickly and bounces back.

• Kira_KiraKira_Kira
  • I already took tomorrow off.

I feel like I failed him.

If I call the cops, will they make this guy put his dog down? I can't have that on my conscience.
  • Thinking good thoughts for Banjo.

Yes, report the incident. You need to let "Animal Control" for your area know about this.

Keep us posted. I wish Banjo a good and speedy recovery.

Post edited by sukoshi’s mom at 2014-05-08 00:22:15
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Post edited by curlytails at 2014-05-08 00:36:09
  • shibamistressshibamistress
  • natashanatasha
    I'm so sorry this happened to your little guy! Wishing him a speedy recovery and just know that you absolutely didn't fail him. This was an encounter with a dog you'd met before with no negative results, there was no way of knowing this would happen.

• About to leave. He is a mess but a trooper. At least I have an excuse to get the car detailed.

Will update tomorrow. Very concerned about how he is mentally. Navigating the socialization aspect is my new concern.
  • I'm sorry to hear it and hope he heals quickly!
  • So sorry for Banjo and you. Waiting for your update.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
  • We slept ok. I slept on the floor so he knew I wasn't leaving him. He won't eat (I don't know how to give him his pills without crushing it up and mixing with his food). He won't leave his crate. I'm just gonna sit with him until he's ready to.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
  • he wouldn't eat cheese alone this morning. I will try the pb sandwich. Thanks.

I couldnt' even handle a responsibility for 5 months. I feel like the ultimate failure right now. I don't think I've stopped crying for very ong since yesterday.

I am not a man who cries. The last time I did was when we almost lost my father a few years ago. This sucks.

• I am actually wondering if he isn't better off with a more experienced owner. It would devistate me, but this can't be about me.

• Kira_KiraKira_Kira
  • catloreecatloree
  • sunyatasunyata
  • NASANASA
    Post edited by NASA at 2014-05-08 09:02:28
  • thanks for the kind words. i probably am being hard on myself, but i cant bear to look at him without thinking i caused this (you know the drill... what if i chose a different walking route, what if i didn't chat with the owner, what if what if what if) and its good to be reminded not to play that game.

@NASA

Yes it made me laugh. Thanks!
  • SayaSaya
    Post edited by Saya at 2014-05-08 09:37:15
  • RikkaRikka
  • Be gentle with yourself. You have been through a traumatic event too.

The little guy needs your love and comfort. You've been a responsible dog owner as much as one can be.

Just work on getting Banjo healed.
  • is not drinking normal? we just got back from a walk. All he has eaten today is peanut butter mixed with his meds on a small chunk of sourdough bread (thanks @Kira_Kira). Had a sip of water. Not much more.

He keeps crating himself.

I know a lot of this is shock for him. After how many days should I be worried no eating/drinking is more than shock?

(lots of questions. Thanks for the guidance and support.)
  • catloreecatloree
  • poltergeistpoltergeist
  • curlytailscurlytails
  • Also if he is drinking less, try ice cube form. Also, I would get some unflavored pedialyte: it is good for staving off and treating potential dehydration.
  • NASANASA
    Agreed! My vet after surgey/sickness almost alway tell me to only feed chicken broth and boiled rice for the next few days. But to make your own broth just boil fatty chicken parts in water
  • RustyAngelRustyAngel
  • JeffSTiJeffSTi
    @banjothebetadog Don't be so hard on yourself. They can sense your frustration and sadness. Keep your head high and he'll eventually know! Aka was in a similar situation but later we found out he stepped on something sharp that caused small bleeding on paw. And you're doing an amazing job of being a great pet owner and I hope he gets a speedy recovery!

• shibamistressshibamistress
  • umi-sanumi-san
  • zandramezandrame
    Oh man that cone! :(

I know ears bleed like crazy, but can't they wrap it instead? Like they do for cosmetically clipped ears. That looks so uncomfortable.

Yes on ice cubes, ice cream, yogurt, broth, pedialite...

Force feeding pills is easier than you think too, dogs don't gag as easily as people do. Just get it far enough and keep his mouth closed and head up. One trainer told me to gently blow on the nose so they instinctively swallow.
    http://www.healthypawspetinsurance.com/blog/2012/06/04/how-to-give-pills-to-your-pet/

Hang in there, we are all with you!
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    I am so very sorry to hear about Banjo. Please know that I am sending healing thoughts and love to your adorable Banjo. Please do call Animal Control and report the incident. The owner of the dog will need to show proof of rabies vaccination. Also, the dog may need to be muzzled since the attack was not provoked. I agree with the others about needing to calm down because Banjo needs to know everything will be fine and it will be. You did not fail Banjo in any way. Banjo will heal and everything will be fine.
  • jennjenn
  • sunyatasunyata
  • BootzBootz
    Take deep breaths. Keep calm. Your vibe will feed off to Banjos.
    You have been doing great with him, don't think otherwise.
    The accident was out of your control, and was not your fault.

If Banjo doesn't take any of the suggestions above for water, do something simple - feed him via a syringe or something similar. I used a small water gun to squirt water into my dog's mouths when they were wearing a cone. They loved it.

I hope he heals fast!
  • HirokiHiroki
    I'm sorry to hear this, you must be devastated. We had a situation on Christmas Day, three days after Hiroki was neutered, during the ten minute walk he was allowed that morning, where an off lead greyhound ran out of the bushes and attacked him, going straight for his stitches. Luckily, we hadn't put his harness on that morning due to the cone and he managed to slip his collar, which actually probably saved him from any major damage being done. But even after that near miss, I kept replaying it, thinking we should have done something differently, gone a different way, at a different time, seen the dog earlier etc. It was me that had said to take that route, and I felt so guilty. I can imagine how you are feeling, but people are right, you could not have expected what happened and it doesn't seem like you could have responded better in the circumstances.

I hope Banjo recovers soon. My thoughts are with you.

Phoebe
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
  • Not much else to say everyone has said everything.

You really shouldn't blame yourself though. Years ago with one of my previous dogs I was sitting outside a takeaway food place when a large German Shepard came up off leash with no owner. Both of them sniffed each other then out of nowhere the other dog grabbed mine around the neck and shook him violently like he would with a toy then let go so he went flying into the wall. It was enough force for his collar to come flying off.

I took him to the vet terrified he was seriously injured. Luckily no major injuries and he was fine physically although after that was would have a go at any large dogs he saw. It happened so quickly I couldn't react and I felt terrible but there was nothing I could do.

Relax, Banjo will recover.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)