For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
I love cafés but some coffee shops aren't pet friendly inside so how do I order?
  • AddieThibAddieThib
    One of my favorite places to relax is a cafe. I was thinking once I get my shiba, I could take him or her to my local cafe but sit outside. I have no problem with that, I love the fresh air. Most coffee shops allow pets outside.

This might sound silly, but I keep rethinking this scenario over and over again: Should I leave my shiba in the car with the window cracked for 5-10 minutes (depending on the line) to order then go get it to sit outside???

I have a fear of leaving any living thing in a car alone haha, please don't think I want to, but I wouldn't be able to order my drink if I took my Shiba down first.

If even 5-10 min with the window cracked is dangerous please let me know! I'm thinking about it and I wouldn't leave a child in the car but a child is allowed in coffee shops...
    I don't want to tie the shiba outside either. While I'm waiting for my coffee I'd be watching my car too.

Suggestions much appreciated!

**I'm also not sure if I posted this in the right discussion thread
    Post edited by AddieThib at 2014-05-07 05:06:02
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
  • RikkaRikka
    Post edited by Rikka at 2014-05-07 09:41:38
  • poltergeistpoltergeist
  • AddieThibAddieThib
    Thank for your suggestions! I'm sure I could use an extra key for my car! :)
    I'm not saying people are bad around where I live, but I wouldn't feel comfortable tying my shiba outside. I still feel that someone could untie him and take him. I could possibly watch him or stand by the door as I'm waiting for coffee, but it seems a little awkward haha.
    I'll have to look up some dog friendly cafes!
  • BootzBootz
    @AddieThib

worst come worst get a sturdy harness and a metal chain with padlock. Hahaha. Try to put them in the shade if not have them access to water.

I've tied my dog outside to a tree before, but made sure I got a window seat. It was definitely a weird experience. A group of teens came up to my dog and took a picture (they are lucky she is friendly). I came out to make sure she was comfortable with it, and the kids told me it was for a scavenger hunt.

Another dog owner tied her pit bull to a parking meter, in the sun, no water. Some customers felt bad for the dog in the sun, offered water - which it rejected, then they proceeded to pour water on the floor to keep the dog's paw/body cool.

• Kira_KiraKira_Kira
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    I agree with Kira-Kira and AddieThib about not feeling comfortable leaving my adorable Quake tied up in front of a cafe. He's just so cute and someone might take him. I would rather opt for leaving the AC on in the car for him. Since I live in the heart of DC and don't own a car I just take Quake when I have a friend with me who can go in and order for us. My favorite cafe in Dc is right across the street from the National Zoo and is called Zoo Bar. They allow pets outside and the wait staff comes out to take orders.
  • NASANASA
  • @poltergeist - actually in the US It is generally a legal issue. Dogs are legally not allowed anywhere where there is food (including grocery stores). Some places may let you do it, at the risk of great fines to themselves.

@addiethib - I think @kira_kira has a great suggestion, but as @poltergeist says, it doesn't hurt to ask. Some places are sometimes also accommodating in that they will have someone take your order at the doorway and bring whatever you ordered outside afterwards. I found that this more frequently happens at places where one is a regular though.

As for leaving the car window cracked, it can get really dangerous in 5-10 min, depending on the weather. It only takes a few minutes to have a car interior heat up to 100f+ depending on the conditions. Personally, I would only do it if it is 65f or less outside. I would also never ever leave a puppy in the car. Puppies get dehydrated fast.
  • poltergeistpoltergeist
  • shibamistressshibamistress
  • KokadrilleKokadrille
    Part of my daily walk involves going to a coffee shop with my Shiba. Colorado is really dog friendly, so I leave him tied up to the patio outside. He's comfortable enough with it to not run off, the tying up is mostly so someone else doesn't think he's abandoned (which happened the one time I just let him hang out. I had to convince the stupid lady I was his owner by reciting the info on his tag. To be fair though, I think she thought she was doing the right thing..) I don't know if the lines are really long where you live, but usually once you order, if you're nervous, you can just let them know you're waiting outside because you have a dog, and if you don't hear them you'll come back in for your order. I did that at first, but after about a week I realized Zia is more interested in being worshipped by people on the patio than by me leaving for a couple minutes. Maybe I'm too trusting, but it's a small neighborhood. All the people at the coffee shop know him now, the owner actually got smaller biscuits specifically for Z. :)
  • RikkaRikka
  • AddieThibAddieThib
  • KokadrilleKokadrille
    @AddieThib - Very good to bring up!
  • RyanRyan
  • RooneyRooney

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)