For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
"You know you're a crazy dog person when..."
  • poltergeistpoltergeist
    So today, I was scanning some stuff for my husband, and I live across one of the town's oldest (and therefore popular) Vet clinic. Anyways, as I am in the process of scanning, my husband looks out the window and sees a massive big van parked outside our house. He reads out the name on the van, and I say, "Oh, that's Yoshi's Kennel name!" and my husband turns to me and says, "Yeah, their van's outside!" - So I stop what I'm doing, call my dog and head out to greet the breeder inside the vet clinic with my dog! Hahahaha I'm such a crazy dog lady. Needless to say, she was so happy to see him, and took his photo. She is sad that I don't show him because his appearance is excellent (although he doesn't have the right mentality for dog shows!)

I thought it'd be fun to share our moments of "Okay, crazy dog person." So why not a thread! (Sorry if this isn't allowed).

[mod edit: changed category - this is more of a 'general' discussion than a member's only discussion]
    Post edited by sunyata at 2014-04-30 11:16:43
  • 1) I purchased a second car so Banjo has a safer mode of transportation than shotgun in my SUV.

2) I am currently looking at buying land and building a house because Banjo likes fetch.

I am not married, 30 years old, and looking at building a 3k sq ft house so my dog can play outside with me every day. Does it get crazier?

• RikkaRikka
    - I feed Sagan better than I feed myself--and spend more money on that, too!
    - I've researched countless articles and books regarding dog behavior more than I've researched some classes in college
    - I bought a $300 beanbag for my office room, but ended up migrating it to downstairs near the window so Sagan could be comfortable + look outside

so on and so forth...
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • Your desk at work is covered in more pictures of your dog than your husband and family........!
    Owner at Foxtrot Creative Studio. Dog mom to Romeo.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    When you plan your vacations around dog activities
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Your dog has a Facebook page, you spend your weekends with your dog, you belong to a meetup group for dog pack hikes, your friends ask how your dog is instead of your boyfriend.

And the big one for me was:
    You choose getting a puppy instead of getting an engagement ring. :)
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    This weeks example:

I was sick in bed, fever, nausea, vomiting, body aches and dizziness.

Get out of bed to play fetch with them because INU brought me the ball. My two were probably laughing inside.
    犬竜
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    I know I am completely crazy about my adorable Quake when I cannot wait for my work day to be over so I can get home to see him!!! I even sing a little song in my head that I made up for him as I'm going down the street and I just imagine how adorable he is!!
  • koyukikoyuki
    -when you get quite a large tattoo of one of your dogs, then feel bad because you dont know where to get the other 4 on your body-then feel worse because you remember that you also have a daughter and should probably get her name or the like tattooed too.
    -when you drive across the country to get a new dog,get stranded there for a few days and have seperation anxiety for the other 4 dogs at home (and the daughter ofcourse!)
    -when you have no social life because you would much rather be at home with the dogs.
    -when you lose so much sleep for a puppy your eyeballs are melting out of your skull and you still look forward to more dogs in the future!
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Kenji- black and tan male
    Suma- sesame female
    Haruki-brindle Japanese Akita Inu
  • devonmlewisdevonmlewis
    -When I research larger vehicles to accomodate Yuki
    -When I plan vacations around Yuki time (will it be too hard without him?)
    -When I put out a Face Book Buy-Sell-Trade to get a private boarding for him, because I don't want him in a kennel all day!
    -When I don't go out on weekends, because I don't want to leave my boy!
    -When people say "congratulations!!" to make fun of me because they know I"m an obsessive puppy parent.
    -When people have to remind me (daily) that it's "just" a dog. Clearly they just don't understand how special my baby boy is!!
    -I no longer consider purchasing a home without a fenced yard.
  • thecody59thecody59
    -I have over 50 boxes of treats and food and I am still looking and buying more.
    -I quit my factory job so I can work from home to spend more time with him.

• knnwangknnwang
    Lol, off topic, apologies.

If we're ever homeless. I would hold up a sing with him at a corner "Homeless. Need dog food."
  • Kit_Keet_Kit_Keet_
    Haha Banjo you're not the only one! We moved out of our apartment and bought a house so our dog (we only had one at the time) would have more room... We then adopted a second dog for Kit four months later because Kit was lonely. The first major remodel we did was to put a six foot privacy fence around the backyard so the two could go out and play without leashes on... and yes, I took a video of the first time they got to run around, I'm a dork like that lol.

I also can't say no to them when they want to sleep on the bed and will not move even if I'm cold/hot/a limb is cramping up so I don't wake them up. They're just too cute when they're sleeping!

Edit - point of clarification, adopting Bel was about more than Kit just being "lonely" lol, but that was not the point of this thread!
    Post edited by Kit_Keet_ at 2014-04-30 21:32:18
  • poltergeistpoltergeist
    Today I was taking a bath, and Yoshi kept whining and jumping up, attempting to enter the bath with me. I was so tempted to let him join me...
  • ddavidddavid
    We, my wife & I were invited to our nephews wedding, a small town in the vineyards, California.
    The gang rented a lodge to be together and also is cheaper than the local hotels. But it has no pets policy, so every dog and cat owner placed their pets in a kennel.
    We went the extra mile of calling every hotel, no pets, there aren't any motels, so we payed double so we can have our Niiki with us. No way is he going into a kennel for 4 days, regardless of costs.
  • kagurarapkagurarap
    Haha I'm gonna borrow three from others:

- Feed Tali better than I feed myself
    - Investing in a house so Tali can play in the yard
    - when people ask me how Tali's doing instead of my bf

And two of my own:

- when my mother sends me mother's day cards because I have Tali and I don't have any actual kids
    - when I invite people over for Tali's Bday and have a party
    Post edited by kagurarap at 2014-05-01 12:23:37
  • poltergeistpoltergeist
    I love that you have birthday parties for your pets @kagurarap - thing I will do the same thing. Hahah, oh noes, I think I started a very bad thread--'more ideas for crazy dog people' thread :D
  • LOL I was talking to my mom this morning and told her I was house hunting, when she asked why, and I said "so Banjo can play outside". I heard her scream to my dad "Honey, your son has gone crazy. Cut him out of your will". Nice to know its not just my parents who think this way.

• Train your dog how to be a good "bed buddy" and set aside sleeping space for him/her on the bed.
    Show up at the car dealership with a crate or crate measurements when considering a new car.
    Have at least one dog oriented event scheduled each month.
    Get Mother's Day cards from your mother because she has adopted your dog as a "grandchild".
  • RikkaRikka

Today I was taking a bath, and Yoshi kept whining and jumping up, attempting to enter the bath with me. I was so tempted to let him join me...

Haha.

I guess it's a little crazy of me to join Sagan in the bathtub while I'm bathing him since he's so much more cooperative and peaceful when I'm in there with him, lol.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • poltergeistpoltergeist
    Yeah, Yoshi hates baths, but when I'm bathing, it's perfectly acceptable to attempt to jump in the bath with me! Dogs are so weird :D
  • NASANASA
    .... Consider throwing the dining room table away to turn the space into a dog play area. 8->
  • kagurarapkagurarap
    @poltergeist

Haha yeah! It gives me a good excuse to bake Tali homemade treats too and so other people can spend money on my dog instead. ;-) Even though I still buy her something. Dang it she's spoiled...
  • I have another to add...

I'm out of town and banjo is staying with the trainer. The sink in the hotel bathroom was dripping. I woke up at least 5x and said "Banjo no" because I thought he was peeing on the floor.
  • BootzBootz
    When your husband wants to buy a new house because the one that is available has a long pathway that is good for fetch...also he wants this new house because there will be a trail where he can walk the dogs....
  • knnwangknnwang
    Sounds like a home to me. ;)
  • NASANASA

I have another to add...

I'm out of town and banjo is staying with the trainer. The sink in the hotel bathroom was dripping. I woke up at least 5x and said "Banjo no" because I thought he was peeing on the floor.

Agreed. All running water makes me think a pup is peeing in my house!
  • MiraFoxiMiraFoxi
    I definitely fit into this catergory.....you know your a crazy dog person when......

1. You pack more stuff for your potty training puppy on a weeks vacation then you do for yourself.
    2. Watch the clock at work just waiting for 5:00 so you to get home to your dog.
    3. Just about everything that you do revolves around timing for the dog.

I am sure there are more, but yep I sure fit into the crazy dog person catergory!! :))
    photo d48c316d-ce82-4a25-89fa-c1b57a673aa8_zpsqzf1t0cc.jpg
    Forever in our hearts.
  • Becker85Becker85
    I always teased the crazy dog people, as I haven't really had a doggie from Puppy to adult, however, now that we have Milo, I have turned into the crazy dog person. Milo is only 9 weeks old, so I haven't had the opportunity quite yet to see how I evolve with him:)

- took time off work to be at home the first few days of him being home with us.
    - Fiancé takes Milo to work every day (slightly jealous :-/ )
    - have done more research on him, what he might need/want, how to train/be a good fur mommy than almost anything else.
    - make sure one of us or our daughter is home at all times so Milo isn't home alone, or having to be kenneled (he is kenneled at night time)

We make so many sacrifices for these little critters, but man oh man are they ever worth it. He's my fur baby lol
  • JoyceJoyce
    You know you are a crazy dog person when you get a second rescue so the first won't be lonely. Getting Sumo (the second rescue) was one of the best things for both me and my first rescue.
  • KokadrilleKokadrille
    Haha I've done so many of these.

Adding
    -You choose your wardrobe based on what has the most convenient way to stash poo bags and treats...

-You talk to your dog in public.

-Cancelling lots of plans because I feel like he'd be left alone too long, one way or another.
  • poltergeistpoltergeist
    I am so glad I'm not alone! :)
  • When:

-You can't wait for your lease to be over so you can get into a house (with a fenced in backyard of course)
    -have a carseat for your dog
    -post pictures of your dog daily on social media sites...
    -take your dog everywhere, even to volleyball games just so she doesn't have to be home alone
    -have a list of 1000 dogs that you will be getting once you have a house...
    - And when you have her education planned out for the next 3-4 years :)
  • I really do fit in this category (though more of a crazy animal person as I have many animals) :P

- You're comfy on the couch but then move so your dogs & cats can be comfy too.
    - You give your dogs expensive blankets so you know they're warm in the winter.
    - You give them Beggin Strips when you're eating anything bacon so they don't feel left out.
    - You have more books on dog breeds and care/training then anything else.
    - You spare no expense so you're dogs/animals (and kids of course) can have the best even if it means giving up something you really want.

I have been called "Crazy Cat Lady", "Crazy Dog Lady", and "Crazy Bird Lady" by friends, family, and strangers. But I believe that these are badges of honor. So when I hear myself being called one of these I turn to the person and say "Yes I am." :D
    photo Paint-Project-Backround3.jpg
    Proud Momma of 2 cats, 1 Morkie, 1 Shiba Inu, 3 hamsters, 2 gerbils, & 20 finches :)

"A person's heart is not truly open until they have known the love of an animal."

"Those who say that dogs can't smile have never had a dog who loved them"
    Post edited by FallenIce at 2014-08-10 14:05:59
  • EVERYTHING on this list!! http://news.distractify.com/people/30-reasons-that-dog-people-are-completely-crazy/?v=1

Well, Ok, a few exceptions, but this does sum me up, nicely
    Post edited by poltergeist at 2014-09-06 09:23:58
  • lindsayt said:

When you plan your vacations around dog activities

Just did this and it was a blast!
  • RooneyRooney
    I've long been a "crazy pet lady" and my step-mom does not understand because she doesn't really understand pets. She once asked me why my sofa didn't have any feet and was flat on the floor. I explained that the cat ripped into the bottom and was playing under it, so I took the legs off and that I'd had to do the same thing to the bed. She asked why I didn't get rid of the cat for his bad behavior and I was like "you don't get rid of family."

I have designated pet watchers for when I go on vacations. Nikki, who lives 4.5 hours away from me will be in charge of watching Rooney. Yes, I will drive 9 hours twice to drop off/pick him up to make sure he has people who will love him, take him on long walks/hikes, and 4 German Shepard mix buddies to play with while I'm gone. Some people might view this as crazy. I just think it's practical.

- I have a designated dog walking bag. It has all the necessary materials (baggies, a light for night time, treats, mittens for me if it's cold, Rooney's Muttlucks, etc.). Kind of like a doggie diaper bag.
    - I've had Rooney for a little over a month and I've spent close to the same amount on him as I did for a 9 day trip to Ireland.

Crazy and proud of it. :)
    Allison, Rooney's Mom
  • You know you're a crazy dog person...When you have the chance to party in NYC for an entire weekend starting Friday afternoon and decide to come back home late Saturday night because you do not want to be away two whole nights from your furry angel even though he will be staying with an awesome pet sitter!!!

@Rooney-I have the Doog Dog Walkie Belt that I use to carry all kinds of things like treats, doggy bags, hand sanitizer, his toy, my phone, etc,

http://www.amazon.com/DOOG-Walkie-Belt-Running-Equipped/dp/B00FPXH4X8
  • RooneyRooney
    @Antoinette, the magnetic snaps on the dog bag are kind of starting to tear, so I might invest in one of those belts when it finally bites the dust. :) Good idea.
    Allison, Rooney's Mom
  • @Rooney.... I have a 'doggie diaper bag' too. It has everything for an extended trip away from the house... Tennis ball, small crinkly toy, a himalayan dog chew, a package of small bully sticks, crunchy treats (I've noticed the soft ones get hard if they aren't in their original bag), water, nylabone, puppy wipes.... the list goes on... if I think I'll need it for her on the excursion - it comes with.
    Post edited by lauratherose at 2014-09-30 20:34:33
  • - I've seriously considered buying a cute Kate Spade diaper bag to keep Severus's treats, toys, and water bottle in whenever we go on outings. Then I realized I spend way too much money on him that I can't afford to buy things like Kate Spade bags anymore.

- My mom calls me all the time to tell me I'm spending too much on his doggie daycare, his training classes, his equipment and toys, etc. And I'm 100% self-sufficient and pay for all my own things, but my mom just thinks I should be saving up more money for retirement and a house and my future kids, etc

- I definitely feed Severus better than I feed myself. Whenever we're making dinner, I have to stop my husband from finishing all the chicken breast because "I need them to make Severus's training treats!" My husband is also not allowed to touch Severus's hot dogs.

- I constantly think about saving up more money to be able to afford a nice large property with a fenced in yard. We live in an apartment now, but when we finally decide to settle into the suburbs, I'm not going to settle for anything less than the perfect doggie-playground!
  • I would definitely say I am a crazy dog lover!

1. I have three shibas
    2. I am single with no children because I have fur children
    3. I have 500+ photos on my facebook of my dogs
    4. I have my dogs photos on plaques in my house
    5. I spend more on my dogs food/toys than I do myself
    6. My dogs come before my boyfriend
    7. I purchased my house based on my dogs need for a yard and room to roam!

I think that is pretty crazy... no wonder I am single lol!

Shiba Mom of Two (Xavier 1 1/2 red male) & Argo ( 6 month red male)
  • tysaaantysaaan
    When you try your dogs treats to see if it is satisfactory enough for them.

... I've done it once. Hahahaha
  • NikkitineNikkitine
    - Have three dogs
    - My dogs are baby replacements
    - 90% of my facebook posts are of my dogs
    - I have "I heart *dog breed*" bumper stickers on my car
    - I haven't changed my wardrobe for 2 years, but I buy clothes/accessories for my dogs every week.
    - I can only seat 2 people in my SUV because it's completely dogafied with doggy seat covers and tons of dog fur in the back.
    - I like to watch them sleep...like a creeper.
    - I'd rather spend time at home on the weekends with my pups than go out. Unless it's a dog related event.
    - I love them more than myself
    Post edited by Nikkitine at 2015-01-23 14:54:49
  • - You buy a house based on three things: Your spouses desires, your desires, and your dogs desires.

- You are seriously considering a tattoo of your dog's pawprint on your shoulder blade . . .
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Your weekends and calendar dates revolve around spending time with your dog doing various dog-focused things like hiking, attending dog events, expos, etc. instead of obsessing about spending time with your significant other, fiancé, or husband (things that society expect good women to do). NOPE! NOT ME!
    imageimage

• @tysaaan oh man, I do this with my cat's treats! I normally try to get all meat treats for them (not like Whiskas dreams or whatever) so when I find that one of my cats won't like it, I try it for myself just to see if it's nasty. Sure enough, some are pretty nasty!
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    You make plans on Valentine's Day with your dog, not your fiancé...

I drove 90 miles to take Kira to a Pet Expo, meet up with other Shibas & a Kai Ken, and let her run on the beach while the S.O. was home sick. Happy Valentine's Day!!!! @};- :x :o3
    imageimage

• When your dog has a bum paw (he never limps at the vets office so everyone thinks I am being paranoid) so instead of making him climb on and off your bed, you simply spend the night on the floor so he can sleep on top of you if he wants.

• @BanjoTheBetaDog Awwww! My girl likes to sleep on top of me too lol. What we won't do for these furry lil monsters! :)
  • NikkitineNikkitine
    When you're currently supposed to be on vacation and all you can think about is your dogs. You spend roaming minutes to bug your s.o. twice a day to ask how they're doing.

Side note: Hong Kong has quite a lot of Shibas. Been here for about 2 days and I've seen about 4 or 5 owners already, mostly with a pair of them.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)