For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
2 1/2 year old shiba inu / mini husky mix looking for new home
  • PearlPearl
    Hello,

Regrettably, I'm looking for a new home for my 2 1/2 year old Shiba Inu / Mini Husky cross.

I live in Vancouver, BC and have another 3 months before my Pet friendly lease is up. I'll be opening up a webcam to show how good she is during the day while I'm away at work and posting videos to show how she's good to get in the bath, getting her nails trimmed and numerous other dog tasks.

I've put in a solid effort get her social with all dogs but she's got problem with small dogs so off leash parks aren't really on the menu for her.

Ideally I think she'd thrive in a home with another larger dog, like a German Shepard and two adults. Older kids would be fine too, but she's possessive so she'll have to be managed correctly.

I'll add more later, it is emotionally exhausting to post this, but I'm trying.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Why rehoming?
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • PearlPearl
    I've started a new job with longer shifts, so I'm away from home for 10 hours a day and leave the house at 5 am. I'm unable to afford the dog walker combined with extra rent for dog friendly place and my girlfriend that I plan on moving in with has cats. We live really close (in part so we can split time between Pearl and the cats)

Pearl has a bitten people out of possessiveness previously (current girlfriend 3 months ago while she was reaching into her mouth to pull a tiny toy mouse out, ex-fiancee 1 year before that for stepping on a pillow she was sleeping on) but gotten much better from where she was when she was a puppy.

She's great at home alone, but I know she'd be happier with a family that is there more often. Even if that family is just one person. She loves people and kids and has never been anything but excited to see a person, so I'm sure that once she meets someone who knows how to manage a dog like her, they'll be great together.

I'll add more later.

• sunyatasunyata
    Pearl said:

I've started a new job with longer shifts, so I'm away from home for 10 hours a day and leave the house at 5 am. I'm unable to afford the dog walker combined with extra rent for dog friendly place and my girlfriend that I plan on moving in with has cats.

Seriously? :-L I think you need to re-evaluate your priorities, invest in some positive reinforcement training for Pearl, work with a behaviourist in order to deal with her reactivity, and work with her to get her used to being around cats. If you girlfriend does not want a dog around her cats, then get a new girlfriend.

Yes, having pets can be costly, but that is what you signed up for when you purchased this girl. However, if you are unwilling to put in the work and/or the money, then I highly suggest you surrender her to a Shiba rescue, especially since she has a bite history. There is an existing thread with Shiba rescue information that you can search for to find contact information.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • Pearl,

Without knowing your situation, I would tell you to flip the roles and ask your gf to give up her cats. If that's a non-starter, it'd raise a red flag to me. (The demand that one of you give up your companion pet shouldn't be one-sided).

I also don't know your financial situation, so I am going to tread lightly and offer what I can in that regard.

I am going to assume your new job won't give you an hour lunch (and thus time to walk the dog midday). You can 'downgrade' your housing from "totally awesome" to "just kind of awesome" to accommodate the pet friendly part. Many communities have rental houses with fenced in yards. I wouldn't at all advocate leaving Pearl outside all day, but she may calm down a bit when a game of fetch is easy for both of you.

I've noticed with my dog its not how much time I spend with him, but the quality of that time. Sometimes I work late and we only see each other for an hour after work, but if he has my full attention for that hour, he goes to bed much happier than on a day when I work from home and have to give him a bully stick to keep him occupied. On those days we may spend 8 hours together, but only really hanging out for 2 of them.

This to me sounds as much as a real estate issue as a dog issue. I have extensive real estate development and investment experience (a former life before I realized I can use my skills to help people instead of pursue profit all day). If you want guidance/assistance on the housing part, PM me and I'll see what I can dig up!

Best of luck.

P.S. Remember, there will never be another pearl. Do you want to give that up?

• curlytailscurlytails
    I think this depends on the rescue, but an unmanaged bite history may actually make Pearl ineligible for rescue, and so private adoption becomes a more "suitable" alternative. Maybe your Canadian rescues are less litigious (and I don't know of an organized group in your area unless you hop across the border to the US), but you probably should know that Pearl's bite history will make her trickier to rehome, especially with this perfect family that is always around, as you envision.

That said, I would encourage you to rethink your situation. You do seem to care about her, and I hate seeing regrettable decisions play out on this forum, especially if there are other options.

I had the same thought as @BanjoTheBetaDog about how your girlfriend plays into the picture. Does she not see how excited Pearl must be to see you every time you come home, regardless of how long you've been away? Is she unwilling to work with you to find an equitable solution that includes all the pets, including learning how to be as considerate of Pearl as you are of her cats?

10 hour work days are fairly standard for a lot of people and not a compelling reason for rehoming, especially if she is "great" at home alone, as you say. As for dog-cat cohabitation, there are lots and lots of ways to manage, even if it means setting up gates and restricting areas of the home on a semi-permanent basis (say, until a more suitable housing opportunity comes up).

Every one of us is vulnerable to changes in our living situations, but our pets even more so. We often have way more control and resources than we think, though. Certainly way more than our dogs. While I would trust the majority of forum users more than, say, the Craigslist peanut gallery, I think this resource will serve you better by offering ideas to proactively manage your changes. Lots of information already available in the archives, whereas it's a game of chance to just hope for the perfect family who lives in your particular area, and who is more willing to work through your pet's history which you know most thoroughly.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2014-04-07 13:27:49
  • Everyone's said what I'd say, except to add that I don't think that moving to a place that doesn't allow pets is a good reason to give up a dog. It's like saying, I'm moving to a place where do kids are allowed, so I'd better give them up! Dogs should be for life....(though I know there are times when it is best to rehome them,though honestly, this doesn't sound like one of those times).

I'd find another place where you can live with all your pets, and I'd never be willing to live with someone who asked me to give up an animal like this.

But there are plenty of ways to figure out how to manage this, as the @curlytails notes, so I hope you'll look at those ways and reconsider. There are also ways to work with a dog who has bitten, but trying to rehome one is difficult, and most rescues won't take such a dog, and even worse, most shelters will not put such a dog up for adoption, but will want to euthanize the dog instead. I think it's important to note in a situation like this that giving up a dog like Pearl may, in fact, be dooming her to euthanasia. I hope you don't want that for her, but that may be what happens if you give her to someone not equipped to handle her issues, or even worse, take her to a shelter.

• JuniJuni
    To me, not living in the US, the whole thing with pet friendly places or apartment buildings that only allow certain weight of pets is just so strange to me. In Sweden you can't set those rules to your tenants. Luckily. And as we all know it has nothing to do with size if your pet becomes a problem or not.

Is your girlfriend unwilling to help out with the situation? In case she has better working hours or work closer by. Not knowing the whole situation it just sounds a bit sad that you have to sacrifice your pet. It would make me very upset (Although my partner always says he is clever enough not to ask me to choose between him or Juni because he knows the answer ... ;-))
    Have you tried to see if there are any friendly neighbours that could help out with walking her or pet sitting?
  • PearlPearl
    Thanks for all the collective advice and well-intentioned finger wagging, I'm aware of each of the points you've raised and it has kept me paralysed on this situation for the past 4 months. Regardless, I'll accept it all and take it into consideration. I'm making the post despite it and hoping someone _will_ be interested enough to pick her up.

Someone like me has to be out there, or on here.

If not today, then eventually. No one is killing my dog.

I'm willing to devote as long as it takes to finding her a new and better forever home, and I know it won't be easy. Wading through this criticism is just going to be a part of it.

If I'm successful, I'll post here. If she gets kicked out of her new home, I'll take her back and update the thread.

• umi-sanumi-san
    Hello Pearl,

You can find some information and help at http://www.shibainucanada.com/
    Visit the Rescue section.

Good luck!
  • omgtainomgtain
    Some might see it as mean or cruel, but plenty of dogs can hold their bladders for 10 hours.. dogs usually sleep while their owner is away anyways, so its not like you're subjecting them to staring at the wall with their bladder ready to explode. Dog walkers are a waste of money imo.

I have 4 cats and 2 dogs, a GSD and a Kai Ken (which is both similar and different to a shiba).. All of the cats were here first and got used to the dogs just fine.. Or I should say, the dogs got used to the sadistic cats.. I don't use baby gates but I know many people do to allow cats to 'escape'.

Someone mentioned earlier in this post that you tell your GF to get rid of the cat, and I disagree with that. OP is moving in with GF, so its their place and the cat was there first. I wouldnt get rid of my cats for a new dog, especially since my cats are all older and I've had them since kittens. If someone moved in with me who's dog I believed would endanger my cats lives, I'd kick them out or make them do something about their dog.

But I would definitely try to make something work.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Well I wouldn't say that "dog walkers are a waste of money". I guess that means doggie daycare is a waste as well?

Leaving a dog home alone for 10 hours isn't ideal, by any means. Even if the dog does 'well alone'. And if a dog can hold it for 10 hours, does that make it ok? I would ask anyone who believes it is to try and hold your own bladder for ten hours. Just think about how uncomfortable that would be. Dogs feel this same discomfort. (I'm NOT going to debate this in THIS thread).

Anyway, to the OP, I think you need to do what's best for Pearl. Personally, I wouldn't give up Kobe for anybody or anything , but you are the only one who knows YOUR situation. I would rather see Pearl rehomed to a loving family than be left in limbo. If this is the choice that makes the most sense to you(having considered all other options), so be it. But I do think you owe it to Pearl to find the BEST situation. Be it a rescue or pounding the ground to find a new home yourself.

Hoping for a happy ending!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • sunyatasunyata
    @omgtain - Just because you do not feel that a dog walker is a valuable investment does NOT make it a waste of money. Many people feel that it is better to let their dog get a little exercise and mental stimulation during the day, and that is a good thing. I know that my dogs are definitely happier on the days I come home for lunch to take them out for a quick walk. If I were unable to do this on a regular basis, I would absolutely pay for a trust worthy dog walker.

That being said, 10 hours for an adult dog is not unrealistic on occasion. As for the asking of the girlfriend to give up the cats... I am pretty sure that was meant as a rhetorical question; one to make her understand that giving up an animal is not something to be taken lightly, nor something that you should ask of someone you care about if there are other options.

Either way, if the OP does not care enough about keeping his dog to make this work, then the best option, IMO is a Shiba specific rescue or finding an adoptive home that has experience with behaviourally challenged dogs, especially Shibas.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • ddavidddavid
    That's the spirit.
    "I'm willing to devote as long as it takes to finding her a new and better forever home."
    Just remember:
    It's easy to criticize without being in the same shoes. and I do know well without putting in all the details into a post, or living the circumstances, can lead to false perception. If you didn't care about your dog, you wouldn't even be posting for ideas.
  • devonmlewisdevonmlewis
    I agree with @ddavid!

I wish you the best of luck for finding the best home for Pearl-- if it's with you that would be ideal, and if not, then hopefully it's someone who will be able to give her a good life. I've heard of lots of shibas getting along well with cats.

Has Pearl been to your girlfriends house? If yes, how many times? If they're able to learn to peacefully co-exist, I'd consider finding a new home with your girlfriend and her cats and starting fresh together! :)
  • PearlPearl
    Thanks for the rest of your comments. I appreciate the suggestions, support and even well intentioned criticisms. I actually interviewed a roommate today that might be spending more time at home taking the pressure off me to be there as often. Even if he does move in, it won't be for a month or so. He was really great with Pearl and excited to be around a dog.

He's a MMA fighter, so he's not the least bit scared of her wild side. It was a good day for all of us. Sadly my phone died, but here is one of my favourite Pearl pictures to show what we should be focusing on, the well being of a wonderful dog who still needs a great home.

Post edited by Pearl at 2014-04-11 00:39:41
  • jennjenn
    aww, great news and Pearl is such a cutie!
    Jenn, Shiba Slave to Rigby / http://hellorigby.com
  • PearlPearl
    Better News! I've found an old high school friend who used to be in a family of dog sled champions. He's going to take her! We just have to set up a date! HOORAY!
  • SO GLAD TO SEE GOOD NEWS FOR THIS GIRL!!! :) :) :)
    photo 6b74d441-46df-4852-af9a-1f765aea9bb0.jpg
  • Great news. My experience with mushers is just the one so this may be inaccurate.....but the guy was like a dog wizard. They work all the time with very highly driven dogs and know how to direct their energy, pair them with complementary dogs, and have a 6th sense about changes in their dogs and are able to redirect them away from unwanted behavior before it happens. Probably couldn't have found a better match.
  • PearlPearl
    Well, tonight is the last night Pearl and I are spending together in our little home. Tomorrow we're driving for 12 hours and the next day we're driving 14 to get her to her new home. I'm having the dog walker and the girlfriend come over for snacks and some play time. Considering she's been a part of the shiba inu forum community her entire life, was there anything that any of you wanted to see before she heads off to live with 2 generations of dog sledders? She's a bit groggy because I just got her teeth cleaned today but I'm shooting as much video and pictures as possible. I'm kinda emotionally fried so I'm not too creative right now.
    Post edited by Pearl at 2014-04-30 23:00:09
  • babyfacebabyface
    Aw, congratulations to Pearl on finding a new home! I hope you have a wonderful trip with her tomorrow that will leave you both with good memories.

I know how hard it must be to give her up, but it sounds like she is going to enjoy her new place. As someone who took in a shiba inu for my friends who couldn't keep her anymore, I have to say that I am so thankful it worked out like that. It involved a lot of tears on their end, but so much joy on mine. I'm hoping it will be the same for Pearl's new family.

All the best to you and your girlfriend and the cats! :)
  • Pearl said:

Well, tonight is the last night Pearl and I are spending together in our little home. Tomorrow we're driving for 12 hours and the next day we're driving 14 to get her to her new home. I'm having the dog walker and the girlfriend come over for snacks and some play time. Considering she's been a part of the shiba inu forum community her entire life, was there anything that any of you wanted to see before she heads off to live with 2 generations of dog sledders? She's a bit groggy because I just got her teeth cleaned today but I'm shooting as much video and pictures as possible. I'm kinda emotionally fried so I'm not too creative right now.

Take some pics and post them in her life story thread! We'll be happy to see anything.

Glad you found a good place for her.
  • PearlPearl
    The life story thread! Brilliant, I'll see if I can get this thread moved over when I get back.

Pearl is sleepy, and hungry and even thirsty after getting her teeth cleaned. Doctors orders are for no water until morning.
  • PearlPearl
    Mission successful. I'll add more later. Drove 56 hours in four days. Stopped in to get a hug from my mom. That helped.

Post edited by Pearl at 2014-05-05 09:43:27

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)