For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Mild separation anxiety?
  • So, my roommate has been back in the country for about three weeks now and he just informed me today that every time I leave the room (even if its for 30 seconds) Joey starts whining. He said he'll continue for up to five minutes or so. He also said Joey will stand at the top of the couch looking for me or pace around nervously.

I just ordered "I'll be home soon" to get some ideas, but I thought I'd ask my favorite dog people too. Does this sound like separation anxiety? If so, its pretty mild right? Should I be concerned that it will get worse? Any suggestions or analysis you have would be awesome. Thanks a lot!
  • RomiRomi
    It sounds like very mild separation anxiety. Since he only whines up to 5 minutes and then realizes you aren't coming back he accepts it. Most dogs with separation anxiety will pace and whine for hours and even get destructive. In that book, there was an incident where a dog actually leaped out of the window to follow her owner. Another sign of separation anxiety is if you notice that he starts damaging the bottom of your doors or your windows. A sign that he is trying to get out and follow you.

To me, it doesn't sound that bad, but you can never be too cautious. That book is really good and she gives a lot of useful tips and tricks to get your dog to get used to you leaving without it seeming like it's the end of the world. You will learn a lot from it, I would probably just start conditioning him with you leaving. You should keep an eye to see what it is that you do that makes him get anxious. If its when you put on your belt, or your coat, or jangle your keys. And then start doing that thing that sets him off on a regular basis, even if you don't leave, just to get him used to it.
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    Sounds like mild separation anxiety to me too - but I would not get to freaked out yet. Five months is the PERFECT time for fear to start showing up, puppies will go through fear stages right before or as they are entering a growth spurt. I bet he will grow a little in the next week or so. Might be close to his last one - Shibas reach there full size super fast.

----
    Post edited by BradA1878 at 2008-06-13 01:20:52
  • LeonbergerLeonberger
    I think I got kind of lucky with that, Kuma accepted us leaving pretty fast. He used to whine and cry, but he got over it with a toy overload to keep him busy. Still, to the day, we never leave the house without diverting his attention form the fact. I think that making him sleep out side the bedroom for the first months actually helped (although it was very hard at start).
    With Kuma what really worked very well was his Kong stuffed with some peanut butter. That would even keep him distracted enough for us to come back in if we forgot something at home, and he wouldn't even care.
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    Brad is right. Dogs, like babies, go through different phases as they get older. One of them that always happens is a bit of seperation anxiety.

I know a guy whose Akita once jumped out of a second floor window, and then walked around Boulder, CO until she found him outside at a coffee shop. Then she just sat down next to him.
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    Brandon, thats a crazy story!!!

tsuki went through this phase around 4-6 months old and it only really lasted a little while. I don't think you have to worry about separation anxiety - its much more involved, not so much whining as barking - continuous barking - and destructive behavior and eliminating in the house. We could tell distinctively the difference between tsuki's phase and our foster basset's anxiety. Tsuki was Linus, the basset's quick cure, when we put their crates together, it would stop him from getting really really anxious.
    Although that could happen to any breed at any age, so maybe since he's displaying this sort of behavior, just keep an eye out for it getting any worse!
    Post edited by tsukitsune at 2008-06-13 11:07:19
  • sujewelsujewel
    It seems really common in breeds that are known to be loyal. Sounds like a really, really mild case. Mika would tear up the drywall, door molding, insulation and the speaker wires next to the door. She would also bark and howl for the entire time we were gone.....which is the reason we couldn't leave her at home when we went to visit you.

I thought she had outgrown it when we got Keigo, but it was really just a band aid.
  • scarletscarlet
    I agree with all. Sounds mild and to me typical of most of our companion pack animals. They want to be with us.
  • Thanks for the reassurance guys (and thanks Romi for the book suggestion)! I'm not all that concerned about it yet, but I don't want it to develop into something that will become a lot more difficult to deal with. I appreciate the input! :-)
  • Oh yeah, and that story is awesome Brandon!
  • RomiRomi
    NP Dave! That is a pretty crazy story Brandon!
  • baantonbaanton
    Oh yeah! I will admit it... we leave the tv on to Animal Planet or some such silliness sometimes for Josephine. That seems to help, and it also seems like she is lot less prone to anxiety if we keep her engaged socially (i.e. playing with other dogs) before we have to leave her alone at home. Not sure if the dog interaction wears her down so she then rests/sleeps while we are out? Good news though --- there are two new pups in the neighborhood with tons of energy, so either one or the other or both is up to a 30 minute romp practically at the drop of a pin. So we can usually count on her being pretty calm these days (and maybe that's one of those signs of maturity!) as long as we plan and make one of those encounters happen before we leave for a few hours ...
  • speeedspeeed
    sorry for bumping this old thing but i have a similar situation...

I'm just wondering what a dog WITHOUT seperation anxiety will do when you put him in his crate and you get ready to leave the house? Versus a dog with a mild to major case of seperation anxiety?

Kuma will whine and paw his crate door, but it lasts all of a minute or two. I do notice some of the bars of his crate are bending, is that seperation anxiety or just being bored too long?
  • sunyatasunyata
    @speeed - It might help to describe a little more of what happens when your put Kuma in his crate and what he does when you are not there.

As for a dog without separation anxiety, they usually just do what they normally do, which is lay down, chew on a bone, etc.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • Hi! Recently our 3 year old, Kenji, seems to be having separation anxiety. If one of us leaves the apartment he shakes and also cries and wants to go outside. Also, lately at night it seems like he paces more and whines and is stressed out, when normally he just sits with us in the living room. He is still getting all the exercise he always did, at least an hour walk a day, but it is just weird that this is just happening now. Does anyone have this experience with their older shibas?
  • HaloHalo
    I am pulling this thread back up because I think Halo is starting to show signs of separation anxiety already. I have left her several times for a few hours (6 hours has been the longest I have ever left her) in our kitchen. I make sure the floor is clean, all cabinets are closed properly, dishwasher is locked, oven is locked, everything shut off and unplugged and wires out of reach. I give her food and water and toys and her day time bed. I didn't know how long she cried or even if she made much noise, but she would work on destroying my baby gate, until today, I pretended to leave for 2 hours, she cried, howled and screamed the entire time. When she wasn't, she worked on destroying my baby gate. Lately too she gets anxious when I get ready for work, will follow me around, and if she can't follow me, she whimpers and cries. Today, she got really anxious because I was moving around a lot doing laundry, and was crying (I think she thought I was gonna leave). I don't know what to do. I don't want to encourage this behavior, but I am confused at to what to do. I do tell her she is ok in calm reassuring voice, and often will try to redirect her attention to a toy, but its not working.
  • BitiBeaBitiBea
    You could try leaving for short periods of time and coming back. Do your normal routine as if you were going to work, leave for 5 minutes and then come back. Continue this, gradually increasing the amount of time you are gone. Maybe this will help Halo realize that you WILL be back.

Reward her when she is calm :)
    *´¨)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•` Kismet & BitiBea~*.
  • sunyatasunyata
    Destroying the baby gate? Why not crate her so she feels more secure and can not harm herself or your property? As for pretending to leave... That never works. They know you are still there and will cry because they want to be with you instead of separated.

Use the search function. There are TONS of threads about separation anxiety (including this one) which can give you some ideas to try.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • amtiamti
    I was also going to suggest crating her while you are gone. If she is destroying the baby gate, then it might be a matter of time before she goes for the walls, etc... Not only could she destroy other property, but she could potentially hurt herself. If you think you can trust Halo, you can let her have a little more room in the house, but keep the outings really short and build up to longer times. I believe she's still a young puppy, so it may be way too early to let her roam freely.

My Taisho has separation anxiety when I leave and crate him. I recently started to leave him in uncrated if I know he has pottied. He still rushes to the door and tries to get me to take him, but I use the same words with him each time and tell him to stay home and that mama will be back before I leave the house. I cuddle with him while I tell him that and give him a kiss so he knows I still love him. I did this when I crated him too, so he knows what it means. So far, I have come home and he has been good. Our other dog, Kaji, who is almost 9 months, has to be crated because he will jump on the table or grab and chew anything if I am not there to keep an eye on him. We've had Kaji since a pup and he does not have any crating issues and goes into his crate by himself so we always reward him big time. Since I've started keeping Taisho uncrated, he no longer cries when I leave and doesn't shake like he did in the crate. He still gives me that sad eye though. He is also almost three and doesn't have all the puppy craziness that Kaji has. All Taisho ever does at home is sleep on the couch or my bed, so I'm sure that is what he does when I am gone. Kaji on the other hand must have ADHD because he is all over the place. When he does the shiba run, we have to watch him because he's run on top of the coffee table and jump on the couches like he is parfouring.
  • devonmlewisdevonmlewis
    I'm experiencing some issues with Yuki that I'm hopeful I can get some advice on. He wants to be everywhere I am, which I never thought was odd, since he is a five month old puppy. However, lately when he is separated for short periods of time (any time he cannot see me) he cries. This even happens when he's with "his people", such as my husband. The other evening we were having a bonfire with our friends, and my husband was with him, and he broke free and ran down the street to find me. It's "cute" right now, but I can see this becoming a problem, especially if I am wanting to board him while we travel. Any tips?
  • NASANASA
    Since you have gotten him, where does he sleep, eat, rest, and play? Also who is around him when doing those things?
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    I'm not a trainer or a certified behaviourist, so won't offer any specific advice.(never do)

But a good article on mild sep. anxiety:

http://www.clickertraining.com/node/3291

Wishing you luck!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • devonmlewisdevonmlewis
    @NASA I got him when he was about 9 weeks old, and he was initially crated during sleep time hours. Recently (within the last month) he has been sleeping out of his crate in our bedroom. He eats on our side of the house (we live in a large home with my family), and he rests in all areas of the home, including his car kennel, where he spends work time hours. He plays everywhere- we take walks three times each day downtown near my work and out in the community. He is quite social-- he wants to say hi to all people and dogs-- no one is excluded. He likes his people, but when he can't see me (even when he's with his dad) he becomes anxious. A good example is yesteray we walked (with his aunties) to a bakery. He sat outside to wait for me-- he could see me through the window. When his aunties tried to walk him up the hill, he went with it for a few seconds, and then wouldn't go anymore, and walked back and sat outside of the window until I came out.

Thanks @Kobe1468 I'll check it out!
  • NASANASA
    During any of this routine, does he socialize with other dogs ? Not just meet but like play and sniff etc ?

I would spend less time with him so close. Have others give him treats. He may be scared. When he is in the house does he roam or does he stay near you? When he is in the car and your working How is his behavior? Are you able to see him the ENTIRE time he is in his car kennel.... The fact that he is in a car kennel may be scary to him, new cars sounds and people passing him by each day vs a kennel at home in a controlled environment. At 9 months you should start addressing or working on getting him out of being near you or anxious when he isn't around you, but based on your response/routine it seems like you want him around 24/7.

I'm on my phone so hope it sorta makes sense.
  • BootzBootz
    @devonmlewis

I agree with @NASA's recommendation. You might want to start working on the issue now since your Shiba is still a puppy. Try to desensitize him to being separate from you. Have your family members distract him, calm him down, praise him when he's quiet. If you don't work on this now, it WILL be an issue later.

A fellow member, Tatonka, has the same problem. His shiba is now 2 years old. But his case was not as severe as yours, He does fine with any human, but whine/cries when left along to himself (or with other dogs). He needs human presence to feel comfortable. Keep in mind, his shiba is well socialized.
  • devonmlewisdevonmlewis
    @NASA I'm not seeing the connection to the separation anxiety- but I'm into the questions! haha. When he sees another dog he will stalk them, then pounce and say hi by sniffing. If they're big, then he will put his paws up on them by their face. He's only been able to truly play with three dogs, and it's true shiba play (lots of mouthing, lots of teeth shown, not a lot of biting, back legs up and front paws on the other dog). << I call this his angel face. hahaha. It sounds like they're killing each other with the weird growling, but it makes him happy. He is perfectly fine just sniffing and saying hi to a dog-- he is SUPER social!! <br />
    He isn't scared of people at ALL. He wants to say hi to EVERY person. Treats are not necessary here, except we are getting him not to jump up, so perhaps we could do that, but only to get him to sit and control his body. He is not fearful of people at all. He will go into other rooms that are open, as long as he knows where I am. Otherwise he's always near me.

He's five months now, so I don't want to leave him at home for eight hours. When I take him in his car kennel, he's able to get walks right before work and at lunchtime, as well as two potty breaks in between (I'm trying to leave him in there longer, because the point is to acclimate him to more kennel time, but I hate it!! I hate having him in a kennel, although he is totally crate trained). He can see me now that it's warmer outside and there aren't blankets over it. I let him sit in the front with me on drives (for shame, I know), and he loves it. He puts his paws up and watches the cars go by. He doesn't seem to be scared of cars/sounds at all.

He isn't really exhibiting any signs of fearfulness, with the exception of when I leave. His aunties can get him out of his kennel without me there, and he's fine. It's only when he sees me and then I leave. His past bad behaviors have totally been MY bad habits (not that you said that, but with me wanting him around 24/7). You are SO right!! I'm working on this, and am setting up a mid-day dog walker, just to get him used to other people. I'm also considering doggy daycare with whoever will board him while we are traveling (finding someone who is a good fit has been quite a challenge).

@bootz Yuki is SUPER socialized. He loves all people and dogs! He's even great with our cat (p.s. She hates him). I concur-- I want to address this now so it doesn't become super problematic later. Like most issues (in my opinion), these behaviors come from the owner and puppy parenting. So I'm looking for tips on what I can do differently!
  • devonmlewisdevonmlewis
    sorry for the novel!
  • NASANASA
    Lol at the novel- however bare with me.

I only ask about his socialization with dogs because dogs that interact with humans more than dogs. As it seems may be the case develop stronger bonds with humans and can exhibit seperation anxiety.

Now to be honest, I have seen separation anxiety and I must say you pup isn't close. It could develop into SA but currently a couple weeks of training should resolve some of the issues above. Also remember that no matter what , your dog is always gonna miss you. Your his new safe place his parent. Especially if you feed him. All you can do is curb it. Maybe let someone new watch him for a weekend. Or extended period. Feed Him , play with him etc... He should start to get better once he knows even if your gone you'll be back.
  • BootzBootz
    @devonmlewis

I think you misread what I said. I agreed with NASAs suggestion about working on the problem now and desensitizing. But did indirectly mention socialization is not the problem.

You just have to slowly teach your shiba that you are only leaving him for a short period of time and work from it. Put him in a crate, treat praise, talk to him and let him know you will be back. Leave the room. Make sure he's quiet, come back. Treat and praise again. Repeat and extend the length of time you are away.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @NASA - I have to completely disagree with your assessment that dogs that socialize more with humans than other dogs have a higher chance of having separation anxiety. Almost ALL dogs (who are only dogs) socialize with humans more than they do other dogs. And even multiple dog household dogs often socialize more with the humans than they do the other dogs in their home. So, honestly, how much another dog socializes with other dogs will not determine how strongly they bond with humans.

Think of it this way, your Shiba and your Shikka have a stronger bond with you than they do with each other and with other dogs they see on a regular basis, or at least they should. The same goes for my dogs, they have a much stronger bond with me than they do with each other and the dogs they see on a regular basis. And neither of my Shibas (or any other dog that I have owned or worked with) have ever displayed any signs of separation anxiety. And I work with a LOT of dogs who are purposefully NOT socialized with other dogs (public safety work).

As for the OP (@devonmlewis), there has been a ton of advice already given on the forum and in this thread regarding mild separation anxiety (which is most likely what this is). You just need your pup to know that when you go out of sight, you will come back and sometimes when you leave, really awesome things happen. Have other family members take him to do things that he enjoys (like running around, for puppy treats, to go roll in smelly stuff, etc.). Then after a few minutes, have them bring him back, gradually increasing the time apart. Make sure that you are calm when he leaves and calm when he comes back. If you make a big deal of it, so will he.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • devonmlewisdevonmlewis
    He seems to be most bonded to me, but that makes sense, because his primary caregiver and the source of his favorite things (food, play, and walks). 

Yeah I don’t think he’s belligerent or crazy about it @NASA, but I do want to make note so that it doesn’t develop into anything crazy, and I have a well-rounded shiba. He’s doing so great with socialization, and that’s been such a focus that I didn’t even notice this as a possible issue! Thank you for the feedback!

@Bootz Thanks for the clarification. I can do that (the leaving in his kennel for short periods of time). That’s a good idea—thanks!

@sunyata This totally just made me think that I will leave for short periods of time, and my family/whoever is watching him shall give him treats. Because that is what brings him the greatest joy! Hahaha Just like his mama!!! LOL. That’s something super simple that I hadn’t thought of. That is great advice. Thanks. 
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    @Kobe1468-Thanks for the article. I found it extremely helpful for dealing with Quake's separation anxiety which started out very mild and I did not realize it was even separation anxiety until his separation anxiety had gone past the mild stage but thankfully not into the severe stage. I am working with an excellent behaviorist trainer and I am also reading everything I can on the subject and asking the trainer for her expert advice.

The following article that @Kobe1468 posted is excellent. I have also bought the book eating Separation Anxiety in Dogs by Malena Demartini-Price. The reviews say that it is aimed at trainers and I am going to ask my trainer to work with me and Quake on this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1617811432?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

But a good article on mild sep. anxiety:

http://www.clickertraining.com/node/3291

I believe that with patience and training that Quake and I will get through this. I am participating the most I can in our recovery. Quake and I are a team.

Thanks for your support Shiba Inu Forum members.
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    After having read the above article more than once I became very aware of Quake's triggers. I have been documenting everything in a journal. This morning I intercepted a strong trigger (when he sees me get my lunch bag) with a big red Kong toy filled with half of his kibble and some treats that he only gets on days Mum leaves for work. The Kong toy kept him busy enough so that he did not focus on me finishing putting on my make-up. When he saw another trigger (me getting my handbag) I went into the bathroom carrying my handbag instead of going to the door. Then I went to the kitchen to get a frozen toy for him and put it in his bed. I did not speak during this time or make eye contact. He went for the frozen toy as I was getting my keys. I left his favorite Kong toy in the entry way. He did not follow me to the door and he did not cry or whine when I closed and locked the door!! YAY!
  • SOOOOOO... I'm bumping this thread. I never thought I'd have an issue with this but apparently it's happening. :|

Kira is a little over two years old and has been an absolute angel - she's never had an accident, never been destructive when she's left at home. We moved into a new house in May and she quickly acclimated well to the new environment. We crated her from a puppy up to about a year and a half with no issues.

In the past month, my fiance has started to work from home on a pretty consistent basis. Kira typically just does her own thing, naps in her specific areas of the house, and acts as if no one else is home besides being able to go outside more with him there.

Yesterday, my fiance went in to the office and when he came home Kira wasn't at the door. He heard her in the bedroom and went in to find her under the bed. She wasn't stuck, she was moving back and forth when he talked to her. Kira didn't come out from under the bed, although she was excited to see him. He left her and figured she'd come out when she was ready but he eventually just pulled her out about an hour later.

This morning, we were both home and I was doing chores as usual and Kira would be doing her own thing - either in another room of the house or just hanging out nearby. Nothing needy or out of the ordinary. I left for work and my fiance called me to tell me that while he was on the phone, she jumped on the couch beside him (Kira NEVER jumps up on anything - we think she has an aversion to heights). Kira also is now laying on one of her blankets that he put under his desk in his office because she wants to be in the same room with him.

It's quite unusual - I think it's separation anxiety since I'm not home but wanted to get some objective opinions on the situation. She's not acting out or destroying anything...yet. I'm paranoid though that it will get worse. This is only day 2. One of my friends thinks that she really misses me when I'm gone and therefore attaches strongly to my fiance until I am back home. Thoughts?
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • @Kira_Kira

I think its the change in routine... like your shiba, mine doesn't really have separation anxiety issues and is fine with being left alone (i.e. I don't come home to destroyed things). However, the week before Labor Day, I took some time off from work and had the whole week off. That week, his routine changed... I slept later, we took more car rides, he got more walks, etc. One night, I didn't come home till 5 am (in all fairness, I walked him at 10 pm before heading out for the night). The little angel let me sleep till noon that day.

Since that week, he has been more cognizant of the fact that I am leaving. Usually, after I shower, I feed him and then get dressed. By the time I leave for work, he is already in his crate napping. Now, occasionally, he will wait by the door with a toy as if to say "car ride?" Its sad and breaks my heart, but he does seem to long for the days of me being home. Also, at night, if I leave (even for an hour) he comes to the door when I am leaving, as opposed to before when he didn't really seem to care what I was doing.

Kira and Banjo are both roughly the same age (Banjo is 2). It sounds like a longing for human companionship.

I suggest that you just get her used to the idea again of no one being home, and her being loved upon people's returns.

My $.02.... no refunds.

• JuniJuni
    I don't know if I'd call it separation anxiety or if the two incidents are linked.
    Hiding under the bed could be for a number of reasons, some sound or something that has startled her.
    And for the rest, well I have a weird Shiba and she has her set ways of doing things. Nothing surprises me anymore. She hardly ever gets up in the sofa (I swear, earlier she would only use it for a few days in January every year and the patio chairs she only tried once a year in August) then out of the blue once in a while she'll come and join us being sweet and cuddly. For no apparent reason. Or change something else all of a sudden.

Even if it is the new changes causing her behaviour I think Kira is sound and stable enough to adjust soon.
  • Kira,
    Your concerns reminded me instantly of our first shiba, Copper. I thought I would share. Something about when he turned 2 years old, he changed. He did exactly what you said Kira did, except he hid under the bed for two days! We would get him to come out and he would relax a bit, got cuddly, but then something in the house would startle him and back under the bed he would go. It took us 2 days to figure out that it was a fly! I guess flies didn't go under the bed and he was safe there. There had been a fly in the house and it was about this time of year. Flies are bad this time of year here, and occasionally they would get in the house. We were also concerned that it might have been separation anxiety because we had just had him camping with us for a long weekend, and then back to routine and it started. Needless to say, when we were camping, the flies and gnats were horribly bad. He was afraid of flies for the rest of his life, under the bed every single time one got in the house. He was never afraid of flies before that long weekend, and it was very concerning when he would NOT come out from under the bed.

Just thought I would share the story, it might not be too relevant, but the incident just sounded too familiar.
    photo d48c316d-ce82-4a25-89fa-c1b57a673aa8_zpsqzf1t0cc.jpg
    Forever in our hearts.
  • I left for work and my fiance called me to tell me that while he was on the phone, she jumped on the couch beside him (Kira NEVER jumps up on anything - we think she has an aversion to heights). Kira also is now laying on one of her blankets that he put under his desk in his office because she wants to be in the same room with him.

Also, at night, if I leave (even for an hour) he comes to the door when I am leaving, as opposed to before when he didn't really seem to care what I was doing.

@Kira_Kira, @BanjotheBetaDog,@Juni, @MiraFoxi-I of course am not qualified to assess whether a dog's current behavior is separation anxiety or perhaps an increase in generalized anxiety. I do remember that for about a month before Quake showed symptoms of increased general anxiety and then separation anxiety he started needing to be right in the same room with me where before he would mostly do his own thing in another room while I was at home. Another thing that changed is that he started standing by the door with a sad look on his face when I would be leaving for work. An additional behavior is that he started being super excited when I would get home. He had always been excited; but this was almost over the top and it would also take a while longer before he was able to settle down. I encouraged this behavior because I was so happy to see him even more happy than usual to see me when I would get home.

I now know that I needed to have made my departures and my coming home very low key so that my departures would not stress him and my coming home would not be the highlight of his day for him. The increased anxiety, needing to be closer to me while I was home, as well as his going to the door and looking sad prior to my leaving, and super excited welcomes for him as well as having an issue calming down; were all signals that Quake was on the road to increased generalized anxiety and separation anxiety. I would suggest that you read the book "The Dog Who Loved Too Much". The author speaks to generalized anxiety as well as separation anxiety. I recommend the book because generalized anxiety and separation anxiety can escalate very quickly and I believe it's best to know what to do to help avoid those issues.
  • I just had a thought... could it possibly be due to weather? It's been raining since about the time that her anxiety began. "Tropical Storm Joaquin" has just recently been changed to "Hurricane Joaquin" and will likely be a CAT 2 or CAT 3 that will hit our state by this Sunday. Just a thought, I've heard that animals are very sensitive and sense when things like tsunamis, earthquakes, and other natural disasters occur.
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • @Kira_Kira-That certainly is a possibility that the weather could be effecting Kira's behavior. I have read that dogs may react to changes in barometric pressure.
  • I found this article interesting regarding how weather changes can effect a dog's behavior:

http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/theotherendoftheleash/low-pressure-and-dog-behavior

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)