For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Weight Gain After Neuter
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    My Shiba Inu Quake was neutered on February 12. He is 2-1/2 years old. Before the neuter he would regulate his food intake himself. There were times he would not eat all his food. Since the neuter he seems to be hungry a lot. Since I had read that neutered dogs can put on weight, I reduced his kibble intake by about 20% but continued giving him sardines (1/4 can per feeding) with kibble to help with itchy skin. He still seems hungry after he eats. I was also giving him some peanut butter -about 1/4 tsp in his kong toy about 3 times per week. I have not weighed him because I don't have a scale for him but I have noticed he looks heavier. My friend who had not seen him in four weeks because she was out of town commented to me that he looked heavier and I had not mentioned anything to her about possible weight gain. I have cut out giving him sardines for about four days now and am instead giving him a fish oil capsule every day for his itching issue. I have also stopped giving him any peanut butter for the time being. I will see how he does but I may change him to Wellness Core Grain Free Reduced Fat dry food. I do not want him to have any weight issues. Has anyone had any issues with weight gain after neuter/spay?
  • BootzBootz
    I think it would be best if you posted your question in existing neutering threads...

I can't find the one that recently discussed weight gain after surgery... but here is one that can help

http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/comment/96138#Comment_96138

I remember @lindsayt and I were discussing how most vet advised to cut food by half/40% or 30% to adjust for the weight gain due to neuter/spam
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    @Bootz-thanks for the link. I will pose my question on that existing thread.
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions