For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Traveling Laws
  • poltergeistpoltergeist
    I thought it would be very helpful to make a thread about countries and their laws on bringing in pets. Therefore people who wish to travel to these places can check here; it can make it easier and faster for them then trying to find appropriate websites with right info, etc.

So, I know that all dogs that come from reputable breeders in Europe must already have an E.U. Passport. If your dog/cat doesn't have one you can easily access this from a vet clinic. To travel in the E.U. you must have up-to-date vaccinations which must be done yearly. United Kingdom also requires that your pet is treated for tapeworm no more than 24 hours before flight. Finland does not allow puppies younger than 6 months to travel on planes!!!
    All pets must have an identification either a tattoo or microchip. Microchips are common laws in most major European cities!!

The following countries in the EU must have dogs treated for tapeworm: Malta, Finland, Ireland, UK.

In some cases, (such as Finland) if you are coming from a neighbouring country from ferry/ship they do not check your pet passport or are more relaxed (for example if you travel from Tallinn to Helsinki).

It is best advised you do not travel with a 3 month puppy if it doesn't have all it's vaccines. Some EU countries are particular about this.

For more information on Europe Union and pet travel you can visit here: (this includes individual links to countries and their laws, etc) http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/carry/animal-plant/index_en.htm

---

I would love to hear about other countries and their laws. I know Hawaii also has a quarantine law because it's an island without rabies, etc. If anyone has done this please share the info.

I also recall that Canada has a $30 charge on bringing in a pet.

Does anyone know how long it takes for Japan to quarantine animals/pets? I am interested in traveling there with my pets. I am also interested in traveling to USA with my pets, etc.
  • poltergeistpoltergeist
    So, Canada- bringing in a dog law. The laws maybe different depending if your dog comes from a rabies-free country such as Japan, Finland, or United Kingdom (not USA, not Mexico) - or age (under 8 months and over 8 months).

Here is a list of countries that are rabies-free:

Anguilla
    Antigua
    Australia
    Bahamas
    Barbados
    Bermuda
    Cayman Islands
    Fiji
    Finland
    Iceland
    Ireland (Republic of)
    Jamaica
    Japan
    New Zealand
    Norway
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Saint Lucia
    Saint Martin (Netherlands Antilles)
    Saint Pierre et Miquelon
    Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
    Sweden
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland)
    Uruguay

Traveling with a dog under 8 months in non-rabies free countries (USA, Mexico, European locked countries, etc): It must have all it's vaccinations, including rabies and proof (pet passport is fine). The dog must also have a veterinary certificate of health, as stated on their website this doesn't mean the EU pet passport is valid! This is what they need from the vet 'certificate of health':

The veterinary certificate of health must:

be written in English or French;
    be issued and signed by the licensed veterinarian who performed the examination;
    identify the animal (breed, colour, and weight);
    specify the date and time of the examination;
    have the name and signature of the licensed veterinarian;
    state that the veterinarian is satisfied that the animal:
    is not less than eight (8) weeks of age at the time of the examination;
    is free of any clinical evidence of disease;
    was vaccinated, not younger than six (6) weeks of age, for distemper, hepatitis, parvovirus, and parainfluenza virus;
    can be transported to Canada without undue suffering due to infirmity, illness, injury, fatigue, or any other causes;

All information must be recorded legibly in the veterinarian's handwriting. The dog must be imported into Canada 72 hours or less after the examination.

Bringing in dogs that are over 8 months old in rabies countries: You need to show that your dog is vaccinated against rabies only.

Failure to show signs that your dog is vaccinated; your pet will be vaccinated and you will pay for it.

Bringing a dog that is from a rabies-free country and is under 8 months: Again, you must have a veterinary certificate of health written by your vet after your vet has examined your dog.

The veterinary certificate must:

be issued and signed by a licensed veterinarian;
    state that the animal has been in the exporting country since birth or for at least six (6) months immediately preceding shipment to Canada; and
    be accompanied by documentation from a competent government authority, stating that rabies has not occurred in the country of origin for at least six (6) months immediately preceding the animal's shipment to Canada.

A competent government authority refers to a veterinary agency or other government agency that manages a country's animal health and welfare situation, as well as handles the responsibility of veterinary certification for the purposes of international trade. The document can be either:

a letter issued on the competent government authority's letterhead, which must be dated, stamped and signed by an official of the competent government authority in the country of origin; or
    a letter by the licensed veterinarian who issued the certificate, which must be endorsed by the competent government authority.

Veterinary Certificate

identify the animal (as in breed, colour, and weight);
    state that the animal has been in the exporting country since birth or for at least six (6) months immediately preceding shipment to Canada; and
    be accompanied by documentation from a competent government authority, stating that rabies has not occurred in the country of origin for at least six (6) months immediately preceding the animal's shipment to Canada.

A competent government authority refers to a veterinary agency or other government agency that manages a country's animal health and welfare situation, as well as handles the responsibility of veterinary certification for the purposes of international trade. The document can be either:

a letter issued on the competent government authority's letterhead, which must be dated, stamped and signed by an official of the competent government authority in the country of origin; or
    a letter by the licensed veterinarian who issued the certificate, which must be endorsed by the competent government authority.

Dogs do not require rabies vaccination or certification if they are less than three months of age at the time they are imported into Canada.

The European Union pet passport is an acceptable alternative to the rabies vaccination certificate as long as all the required elements are included.
    Post edited by poltergeist at 2014-03-13 11:29:03
  • poltergeistpoltergeist
    Dogs that are over 8 months and come from rabies-free countries: Veterinary Certificate

a letter issued on the competent government authority's letterhead, dated, stamped, and signed by an official of the competent government authority in the country of origin; or
    a signed letter by the licensed veterinarian who issued the certificate, which must be endorsed by the competent government authority.

---

There is also a law on commercial dogs. http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/terrestrial-animals/imports/policies/live-animals/pets/dogs/eng/1331876172009/1331876307796
    For more important information on bring in a DOG into Canada.

To bring in other animals (such as cats): http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/terrestrial-animals/imports/policies/live-animals/pets/eng/1326600389775/1326600500578

It looks like it's easier to travel with an adult (over 8 months old) dog than a puppy to Canada)
    Post edited by poltergeist at 2014-03-13 11:32:03
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Thank you for sharing this!
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • sunyatasunyata
    @poltergeist - It may be helpful to link sources to each section... This way, people can verify the information or check to see if it has changed (we all know how governments like to change things!).

Thanks for starting the thread.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • poltergeistpoltergeist
    I have done, they're in there! ;)
  • sunyatasunyata
    Oh, sorry, I must have missed the general Canadian link. I saw the others, but must have missed that one.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • zandramezandrame
    The US state of Hawaii, disconnected from the continent, is rabies-free and so has additional requirements for animals.

Quarantine information:
    http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/ai/aqs/animal-quarantine-information-page/
  • poltergeistpoltergeist
    I was looking into traveling with your dog to Japan. Here is their main site on the info/applications, etc. : http://www.maff.go.jp/aqs/english/animal/im_index.html
    Straight forward, there is a lot of paperwork that needs to be done before traveling and there is a way to get your dog quarantined for 12 hours if ALL paperwork is correct. But it takes (normally) 180 days for the quarantine. Furthermore, I understand that most tourists traveling to Japan are allowed to stay for 90 days; plus it appears that you are also in charge of providing food for the duration of 180 days whilst your dog is in quarantine.

Bottom line, if you wish to travel to Japan with your dog, please go to your local Embassy/Consult and discuss the matter so they can help you get all the right paperwork so you can have your dog there for 12 hours. But, if it is a lot of work, leave your dog in a trusted kennel or loved one. It seems like it is very difficult and maybe best to leave Fido at home if you are visiting Japan. If you are moving to Japan, then this is easier.
    http://www.maff.go.jp/aqs/english/animal/im_index.html
    They also explain what are the procedures in the quarantine (such as your dog being tested, etc). Plus, applications, etc.

Regarding 12 hours quarantine: "Regardless of the way that dogs and cats are brought to Japan (hand luggage, cargo etc.), importer must submit an Advance Notification form to the Animal Quarantine Service office in arrival air(sea)port at least 40 days prior to arrival in Japan.

After receiving the Advanced Notification, the Animal Quarantine Service office will confirm import quarantine period and availability of quarantine facility, then issue an Approval of Notification to the importer. When quaranty facility is full or other unavailable situation, Animal Quarantine Service may indicate the importer to change arrival air(sea)port or arrival date. The Approval of Notification and its Approval No. are needed on import inspection in Japan."

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)