For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Calming treats for long car trip
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    We will be making a long car trip with our 3 Shibas and we want to know if anyone has used any of the following:

Nutri-Vet Pet-Ease Wafers for Canines, Composure, or Pet Naturals Of Vermont Calming Treats.

We want to make their trip as comfortable as possible. None of our dogs get sick on short, local car trips, so we hope that they won't on a longer trip. We do plan on making frequent potty stops, about 2 - 3 hours apart.

[mod edit: changed category]
    Post edited by sunyata at 2014-02-26 09:06:05
  • sunyatasunyata
    Is there any reason why you feel you will need calming treats for the dogs? If they generally do fine on shorter local trips, a longer trip should be fine especially if you stop fairly often.

You may also want to do a couple of longer rides (perhaps an hour or two if they are only used to 20 minute rides) in order to prepare them for the longer ride and go from there.

There are a bunch of threads on the forum regarding traveling with dogs in cars for lengthy trips. You might want to read up on some of those as well.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    sunyata - We thought it would be a good idea since they get super excited when all 3 of them are in the car at the same time.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @brscrns - Do you crate them? That will probably help and keep everyone much safer than just having them free in the car (or even strapped in with harnesses).
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    sunyata - We use safety belts instead of crates.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)