For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Collar and Harness Reviews
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I have the hardest time picking out a collar for my Shiba. I am so picky about everything that the collar that I finally decided upon is one that I would have never found in any pet store. I know many of the forum members have had experience with various brands, websites, collar types, sizes, and other details that make it difficult to decide upon a collar.

Please post a picture of your collars that you have/had and give a detailed description on each - specifically the brand, what it is made of, where/how to buy one (website, store, etc.), what width the collar is, what size/length it is, type of collar (martingale vs regular flat buckle collar), how old your dog is and your personal review - why that particular collar did/did not work for you, any additional details that might assist a potential buyer.

Please also feel free to add harness reviews to this thread as well, any experiences and opinions are always welcomed!

Also, keep in mind that these will all be personal opinions on products - what works for one dog may not be preferable for another. Thank you!
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    You should search for the older threads on collar and harness reviews, there are quite a few already :)
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Thanks @lindsayt - my previous search was not as successful. Tried again, success! Thanks

:)

I'll post this here anyways for the hell of it:

So this is a 3/4" wide collar - I got it in Purple and the embroidered name in Lavender with a paw print after her name. I requested a martingale sized at 14" to 16" and even though it's heavier, I decided to get the stainless steel buckle in addition to the stainless steel slider tag. It looks really nice, the nylon is a nice, strong material. This collar will definitely be with us for a long time.

I got it from this website:
    http://www.pikoda.com

This ended up costing me $30.99 - shipping was free! I am VERY happy with my purchase and received it within 10 days of ordering. I emailed them after I placed the order because Kira's collar size was between the 10-15 inch and the 16-20 inch. I received a quick response and they offered to make the collar 14-16 so that she would have growing room if necessary. It's beautiful! I HIGHLY recommend you try one if you like the boomerang slider tags, want a martingale collar, and would like to have your dog's name embroidered on the collar!

imageimage

• Thanks for posting pics/details. Can you tell me a bit about how it feels? Is the material stiff or softer? How rough is it? I have a problem with some collars of this type of material breaking the hair of my Kai Ken, so I kind of like to feel them, but obviously can't do this in this case.

Right now I'm using a White Pine collar, which is soft and supple, but so soft, in fact, that it always slides to the largest side, so his collar is coming off him a lot. Still, I guess I'd rather deal with that than his hair breaking, and I could probably just order a different size.

But this looks like a great collar, so I might want to try one of these!
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    For the most part, the material is softer but not so soft that the material is easily torn. The area that has the embroidery is obviously a bit stiffer, but to give you a better idea of the feel of the fabric, the nylon reminds me of the same material that your typical 4' to 6' lead tends to be. It's really not too stiff or hard but doesn't feel particularly soft or cheap. So it should hold up even if your dog scratches at it a lot.

I got the stainless steel buckle and it is noticeably heavier because of it. If you don't want a particularly heavy collar than you can choose the plastic buckle. I just preferred the stainless steel because from a practicality standpoint, it will last much longer even if it is heavier. One thing I do like about the heavier buckle is that it keeps her name directly on top of her neck. Since I predominantly use a harness for her, the placement of the D-ring doesn't really affect me.

I hope that this answered your question! Their customer service is great so if you have any special requests, just contact them! :)
    imageimage

• sunyatasunyata
    Since there are already several threads on collar/harnesses, I am going to go ahead and close this one. @Kira_Kira - Please post your review in one of the other threads to keep the conversation going! :)
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)