For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Bark Box - monthly subscription
  • Wondering if anyone subscribes or has subscribed in the past to Bark Box and thoughts/reviews of items and shiba appropriateness.

• Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I signed up when there was a Groupon for $42 for a 3-month trial. I ordered the Medium dog box and have been pleasantly surprised! It's quite steep at the normal price, but Kira has thoroughly enjoyed the toys and treats that have been in the box lately. I have one more coming this month. I will take a few pics and give you a review after it comes in.
    :)
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • BootzBootz
    There is another company that was popular before bark box... Forgot the name :( but I remember I tried it because of @curlytails
  • RikkaRikka
    Yes, I subscribe to it. It's definitely worth it for what you get. There are occasionally one or two toys where it's like, "yeah, Sagan won't play with this..." but other than that, the treats are nice, and the other miscellaneous goods.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • @Bootz You mean Pawalla.com? I think Bark Box got started around the same time, if not a little earlier. Pawalla gave it a year or so (approx. July 2012 ~ August 2013), and then rather abruptly and unceremoniously closed up shop. I don't think the enterprise was profitable enough.

There were a couple other companies that tried to cash in on the subscription box trend too. Pawalla and Bark Box did the best job, from what I could see. Pawalla transferred its subs over to Bark Box when they closed up, I think.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • BootzBootz
    @curlytails

Thanks!! Been trying to figure out the name and it was bothering the hell out of me.
    Interesting, I didn't see bark box ads during the time you recommended pawalla, but lately bark box advertisements have been EVERYWHERE
  • Rikka, do they make you send back old toys like netflix dvd's? or do you keep them every month?

and what size do you use for your shiba? My guy is right around 20-22 lbs. Would you go for the "middle" size?

Post edited by BanjoTheBetaDog at 2014-02-13 21:26:13
  • jennjenn
    No, you keep the toys. Rigby gets the medium box.
    Jenn, Shiba Slave to Rigby / http://hellorigby.com
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Kira's Medium dog-sized February Barkbox:

Only one toy this time but 4 different treats. All very good quality:

Toy - www.loopiestoys.com - A giant brown cigar made by Loopies (Kira loves it)
    Biscuits - www.superiorfarmspet.com - Superior Farms lamb biscuits that are grain and gluten-free - 12oz
    Treats - www.completenaturalnutrition.com - Complete Natural Nutrition Cheese Please that are grain free and 99% lactose free - 1.7oz
    Biscuits - www.boccesbakery.com - Bocce's Bakery Truffle Mac & Cheese biscuits that are wheat and preservative free with organic ingredients - 5oz
    Smoothie - www.barkworthies.com - Mr. Barksmith's freezable peanut butter smoothie - I'm excited to try this one, maybe this weekend for the Shiba Inu meetup hike on Saturday!
    imageimage

• glitchglitch
    We tried this for Kazu. I don't remember if it was the small or med box. Either way we ended up getting a couple types of treats that weren't grain free. Most of the toys were good, but some were just regular plush toys that Kazu would destroy right away. The problem is you can't request for specific things (wheat free treats.. tough toys.. etc) so we stopped the subscription because of that. Overall we felt like we could use the money and buy a couple very durable toys instead. Super awesome and cute idea for dogs that dont have allergies and can play with all toys tho.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    @glitch - I agree the cost is pretty steep. It seems like the majority of the box is heavy on treats, which we are never out of in our household. A monthly box that provides more toy varieties would be more conducive for us simply because there are always the same, generic boring toys at pet stores but treats and a variety of them are easy to come by. The Groupon for $42 for 3 months was worth it, but $19 a month is a little more than I would prefer to spend on a gamble myself.
    imageimage

• Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    If anyone wants to try out a BarkBox, here is a coupon code for $10 off any subscription!

Use this BarkBox coupon code to get $10 off plus free shipping on a BarkBox. (expires March 31, 2014)

coupon code:BARKPOST
    imageimage

• Thanks for the posts eveeyone!
    Our February box (medium) arrived yesterday. We too had the Cigar toy (which played with but is not destroyed yet :D )
    The Cheese Please crisps are opened (dog and human friendly according to the package).
    We received a meatball mix that requires a pound of lean ground meat. We will prepare those at a later time.
    A barkworthies bully stick was the item most highly prized by my boy.... We had decided a few months ago not to give him bully sticks any more because of the way he behaves (which is a whole different thread). He enjoyed the stick for a few minutes and then began to guard the item :(
    Also another bag of treats, that are lamb I believe, arrived. We didn't open them because we have plenty of biscuit style treats open at this time. Excited for the next box (hopeful there are no more bully sticks).
  • BarrowBarrow
    We have received Bark Boxes for the past 3-4 months and really like them! Deshka has toy ADD and receiving a new toy and various treats every month has been a really great thing for us! Especially since the closest pet store is 450 air miles to the south of us in Fairbanks!
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    BarkBox is on sale for today ONLY!!!!!

48% off ANY subscription - 48% off today (March 21, 2014 only!!!)
    Just got a 6-month subscription for $59.28 ($54 discount!)
    Considering how much I will spend on Kira in a month, that's quite reasonable!

Fine print: new subscriptions only... I'm having her boxes sent to my work address and subscribed with a different email to make Kira's a "new" subscription! :))
    imageimage

Post edited by Kira_Kira at 2014-03-21 23:10:52
  • @Kira_Kira Thanks for the heads up! I had been wanting to give it a shot!
  • BootzBootz
    damn :( I saw this post at 11:55 pm

I don't like making last minute decisions so I decided to pass.

Hope they get a similar deal next time! 32% not the same!
  • poltergeistpoltergeist
    I've decided to look this BarkBox up. I am wondering what I'm going to do with treats as I am strict raw-feed person. But I don't have a dehydrator to make my own treats or whatever and most store-treats are full of so many unwanted ingredients :(

I also like that this box comes with toys. Always need toys. But I wonder what the shipping is to here and hopefully I won't get done for customs taxes :(

ETA - They don't do overseas. Just US & Canada. I could've sent the package to my mom in Toronto but they require a US/Canadian card too. Pfft.
    I've sent them a msg via Facebook if they ever considered putting a Paypal option, so I can still pay for it but send the product to my mom :)

ETA 2 - They got in touch with me, there is a paypal option via 'gift' option. But they got in touch so late, I'll have to wait for the next deal. Plus, looking at this, I don't think they offer the deals via gift option. Poop. Oh well, I will try it out in the future.
    Post edited by poltergeist at 2014-03-22 13:33:12
  • bikingleiabikingleia
    I posted it in the shiba deals thread, but I just found this thread in a search and thought I would add it here as well. I got the 6 month subscription (for medium size dogs) since I've been wanting to try it out.

From Groupon:
    Choose Between Two Options
    •$42.50 for a three-month subscription to BarkBox ($72 value)
    •$79.99 for a six-month subscription to BarkBox ($114 value)
    •Free shipping
    •10% of BarkBox proceeds go to help dog shelters and rescue initiatives

BarkBox
    On the 15th of every month, BarkBox ships a bounty of high-end dog products to your dog's doorstep, where a bond of trust and mutual respect is finally forged between pup and postman. Tailored to the size of your dog, every box comes stocked with four to six items that can encompass anything from healthy treats to innovative toys and helpful hygiene products. Each box includes items of up to $50 in value. Plus, a portion of all proceeds goes to help dog shelters and rescue initiatives.
  • FuyutsukiFuyutsuki
    This is amazing! We're about to refill his barkbox, so hopefully I can still snag this deal!
  • FuyutsukiFuyutsuki
    New customers only.....maybe Fuyu's imaginary older brother will be getting a barkbox instead.....
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    @Fuyutsuki

Send it to your work address. That's what I did. If the address is different they treat you like a new customer.
    imageimage

• FuyutsukiFuyutsuki
    Ohhhhhhh good thought!
  • bikingleiabikingleia
    We just got out first box yesterday and it was shiba approved! We got two toys:a JW pets ball and a stuffing free squeaker toy with a squeaker that is too high pitched for humans to hear (genius!). They also love the treats which were grain free and made in the US/Canada.

• Thats awesome!! I didn't get the stuffed squeaky thing and I'm mad about it!!

The riley's peanut butter and molasses are human grade and taste pretty decent FWIW. That little ball is banjo's new favorite toy. I got most of these last month except for the squeaky toy which drives me bonkers!!
  • Jshaw1993Jshaw1993
    Blitz absolutely loved the Mr. Barksmith's smoothie when he got that last month, he was looking for more when he finished it. Both the treats you got are fantastic and the ball I like to stick some peanut butter in to make him go extra crazy. It's so funny to watch
  • explain this peanut butter and ball thing please? The core of the ball is hollow. You simply load it up with peanut butter? Does it make a mess?
  • zandramezandrame
    @BanjoTheBetaDog, yep! Just put some peanut butter inside a hollow toy/ball. Not too much, use common sense, PB is a pretty rich treat. Get all natural if you can. It shouldn't really make a mess - the dog will make sure to get all of it! You can also freeze it if you want it to take longer.

BTW, those smoothie cups sound ridiculous! I've got ice cubes trays and can make that myself!
  • FuyutsukiFuyutsuki
    We didn't get a squeaker either! I would have killed for that!
  • jennjenn
    We got a stick in ours and Rigby LOVED it. he grabbed it before any of the "real" treats like the crunchy duck stick. another win from Barkbox. We also got those Riley's last month and they are gone. :P

also, don't mind the grass in the background, we were sent a PR sample for the blog. ;)
  • zandramezandrame
    @jenn, is that the Bionic stick? Is it durable enough for gnawing?
  • FuyutsukiFuyutsuki
    What size box do you guys get? We got the rubber ball,smoothie cup, truffle Mac and cheese treats and the cup of duck treats!
  • jennjenn
    @zandrame yes it is! it seems durable to me, though he was only really chewing it vigorously this one time. he's generally not a huge chewer unless theres a reward inside or he's super bored. :P amazon reviews say that its not for aggressive chewers, so ymmv.

@fuyutsuki we get the medium box! we've gotten the truffle mac and cheese, smoothie cups, and balls in past boxes, as we've been subscribers off and on for about a year. :)
  • BootzBootz
    damn...i'm tempted now. I think the surprise part is luring me in...
  • @Bootz, do your girls eat ANY treats? or are they picky?

I think it is totally worth it. If you go on amazon,the value of the box is greater than its cost. Even when I get something "just eh", its still pretty good.

• BootzBootz
    @BanjoTheBetaDog

Haha. The girls eat any treats. They have plenty already. I'm more tempted to try out new toys for them. (They have a whole drawer full of toys they don't touch now...)

Their birthday is coming up too! But we have a list of things "to do/buy" for the kids already. Example: 2 x full blood panels, travel crate for car, annual check up, Honest Kitchen...the list goes on if i can get everything i want!

I'm all for spending on them :( But my husband limits my spending!

• bikingleiabikingleia
    Those treats smell great! The beef ones smell just like you opened up a bag of beef jerky! The peanut butter ones are a big hit too. I didn't notice that they were human grade... I don't think I'll be trying them though lol.

The squeaker toy can be found at www.hear-doggy.com.

The treat ball worked great for filling the little grooves with dried lamb lung. I just broke it into pieces and shoved it down into the grooves and in the center so that she had to work to get it out.
  • CroakedjCroakedj
    Max loved his first box. I personally thought he wouldn't want some of the toys, but I guess I'm not a good judge of what he'll like! I was spending way more money on toys and treats for him, so if he continues to show the same excitement month after month it'll be worth it. I don't think 20 bucks a month is a bad deal as long as he's enjoying it. My two cents.
  • We've been getting about 2 toys a month that are usually priced around $10 or so; if nothing else it's worth the toys we are getting. We usually save one and some of Rei's favorite toys are from them, currently this month's watermelon. Actually this month's box has been her favorite so far-she inhaled the deer chew, loves the "candied" sweet potato and is ok with the chicken biscuits. This is from a dog who is NOT food motivated in the slightest.

I can see why for some dogs it isn't worth it. I tried the year package on a discount so here's hoping it's still good and she still likes it.
  • I heard that all the boxes are themed for the month-- like Septembers is back to shcool and Octobers will be Halloween. So since im a sucker for themes we're going to try it and see how it goes. Ill post pics as soon as we get it. I did the 1 month and with this link (https://barkbox.com/r/9DH5R4CRM3) I got a free box so it broke down to being $15 a box which isnt too bad at all I dont think.
    Post edited by Tweenersmommy at 2015-09-01 16:20:32
  • @Tweenersmommy -thanks for the link and coupon. I subscribed for six months!
  • We are super excited for our first box to arrive! Tweener is super food motivated and loves toys so I think this is going to be really fun for him. I hope your Shiba loves it too @Antoinette
  • Wow that's a great deal. I may sign up again with a different email address. The coupon is only good for new subscribers.
    imageimage

• BootzBootz
    BOGO?!!?! I think I'll do that for my dogs when I get home... Lol
  • Boo I didn't realize that it was only good for new subscribers :( Its a really good deal though, so I think using another email address would be worth it lol
  • Their customer service is amazing. Just go on the website, hit chat, be nice and I'm sure they'll honor it with a renewal.
  • Tweeners Barkbox is here! It's New York themed (we're guessing because of September 11th?) and he loves it! It had two toys, a rope pretzel and a squeaky ball that looks like the statue of liberty's head. He was OBSESSED with the ball from the moment that we opened the box so I feel like that alone was worth the cost of what I spent on the box (about $15 with the coupon code). It had two bags of "new york"ish food flavored treats (like pepperoni pastrami) which he seemed to really like, and a butchers block trachea chew which we have not tried yet. The only downside to the box was that Tweener became obsessed with pulling at the tag for the pretzel and in about 5 minutes had the nylon pretzel cover off the rope center-- so its not a pretzel anymore...Oh well at least he seemed to enjoy himself. I think that I'm going to extend his subscription but now the dilemma is whether or not to go with the "tough chewer" package since he apparently can destroy things in record speed otherwise.

photo image_5.jpg

photo image_4.jpg

photo image.jpg

photo image_2.jpg

target="_blank">photo image_1.jpg

photo image_7.jpg
    Post edited by Tweenersmommy at 2015-09-11 10:17:26
  • If you are signing up for the first time you can Give back while treating your pup by purchasing a BarkBox!

When you use the code (NYCSHIBA) the new york shiba rescue gets $25 of your purchase donated right back to them.

BarkBox is a monthly pupscription box full of awesome dog treats and toys! Thank you so much for your help! 

Just a thought if you don't have a Groupon or you want the money to do good for shibas in need.

My guess is that's why it was a new york themed box
    Shiba Inu:
    doin' their own thing since 300 BC.

With a black button nose, little pricked ears and a curly tail, the Shiba enters the world knowing he is a superior being
    Post edited by Jerricadotcom at 2015-09-14 13:36:04
  • @Tweenersmommy -Quakey's Bark Box arrived too and he loved it. Like Tweener, he loved the squeaky ball! He didn't pay too much attention to the pretzel. He loved both the treats. We have not tried the butcher's block trachea chew yet.
  • @Antoinette, yay I'm glad he liked it!
  • So we gave Tweener the trachea chew last night and he devoured it in 5 minutes flat :)) I have decided that since he loves the barkbox so much Im going to continue my subscription to a year and I even brought one for my mother in laws Akita Yuki as a birthday gift for her (interesting idea for that person who never uses anything and you never know what to get lol) --hopefully he loves it as much as Tweener does. I used another email address for the new subscription Tweener has his own friend referral code "SHIBALOVE", so I used that for another bogo barkbox, which I thihk is an amazing deal considering how some of the money goes to shelter dogs in need :x
    Post edited by Tweenersmommy at 2015-09-29 09:45:47

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)