For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
How the F%^K do you trim your Shiba pups nails?
  • Our Kuma was 110% totally fine with nail trimming via PediPaws dremel and a normal clipper up until recently. So up until I would say three or four months of age... but ever since his one damn testicle dropped.... it is very difficult to trim his nails without him screaming his ass off and biting us. We can manage to get his back paws done, but the front ones are impossible now. Is this because his nuts are dropping? Any chance he will grow out of this once we get him fixed? It is pretty damn frustrating especially when he let us do it before and not now... his true Shiba colors are showing now. lol

thanks in advance for the read and help!
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    With bribery... There is no other way

I did the same as you, one time she just lost her sh** about it and fights me tooth and nail every time! I couldn't offer advice on his male maturity being a reason for the attitude since I have a female. But it seems like mine just is starting to get older and set in her ways.
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • BootzBootz
    Yeah.... You got a long way to go. First couple months of having a shiba puppy are fun. Then they get worst before they get better again. You won't know how your shiba will be as they mature til 1 year of age at the earliest.

Something similar happened to Bootz. No her balls didn't drop, since she has none LOL. But she just randomly was not ok with nail cutting. It wasn't fear or adolescence stage so I was confused. I just started over with de sensitizing her to nail cutting. Took a month or two, but she's ok now
  • JuniJuni
    There must be other nail clipping threads on the forum, I'm on my phone and can't search, but I would suggest go back to basics again. I clicker trained Juni to be ok with paw wiping, slowly making her fine with me grabbing a paw and messing with it. Try clip them when he is super tired, test another position from how you normally do it, do only one claw each time. Juni likes to stand up when we clip her paws, as she does not like when you hold her too tight. If she is tired she's fine lying on her side.
  • Kiba0713Kiba0713
    I agree that the pup should be tired. For us its a two person job.. One of us holds a treat for Kiba to nibble at but we dont let go of it, while the other does a paw. We go through a couple of treats by the time we've done every paw. It works as long as he's not riled up.
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    If you have the time, do a few nails per day and keep track which one you do. Be sure to give him a treat when he behaves well.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @Kuma1026 - We actually have an entire category dedicated to grooming, with a TON of existing threads on nail trimming.

Since this is a duplicate of other threads, I am going to go ahead and close this one. Feel free to browse the other threads and if you still have questions, feel free to pick the most relevant one and post there.

Thanks!
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)