For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Close Call
  • Hi I just wanted to share my story on what happened today so other shiba owners can be careful. Today when I was checking the mail and walking my puppy Riko on the way back when I was walking down the road to my house the leash slipped and my puppy Riko just bolted down the road and when this was happening a car was going up the road I saw it and got scared he was running right in the middle of the car I waved her down as fast as I could and luckily at the last second she stopped the car. Riko was about a half a second from getting hit by the car and after another 5 minutes of running up and down the road I finally caught him with the help of the lady in the car. I am just writing this so everybody can be more careful from now on I will be holding on to the leash with my life thanks for listening.

[mod edit: changed category]
    Post edited by sunyata at 2014-01-29 07:10:27
  • Kiba0713Kiba0713
    I'm so sorry that this happened- I'm terrified of something like this happening, especially because people on this street tend to speed really absurdly (short residential street). I'm so glad your Riko is okay.

I saw some leashes that have a different kind of end, instead of a loop there's sort of a "glove" without fingers, like a thick band of fabric with a thumb hole. I thought about getting one. Might be worth looking at?

One thing our trainer had said was that instead of trying to chase them down (not counting running at the car, but after) is instead to flop down on the ground making a lot of noise acting like you're having the time of your life, and the dog will come running up to you. She says it has worked with other dogs, we havent tried it.
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    Been there and done that and it's a scary ordeal. I use the Ruffwear roamed leash that allows me to attach the leash around my waist and is still long enough to hold onto.

http://www.ruffwear.com/The-Roamer-Leash-trade_5?sc=2&category=15

I've also have worked on with my two Shiba to come to me when I kneel on one knee and point with one finger onto the ground. They seem to have to investigate what I am pointing to.

犬竜
  • BootzBootz
    I am pretty sure there is another thread where the same thing happened to another owner. But I think hers got hit by a car....

Were you using a retractable or a regular nylon leash? Was your shiba bolting because he was scared? Or because he realized he was free?

I always advise owners to get their dogs use to hearing things drop near them, especially the leash. My cousins dog bolted when the retractable leash slipped out of my other cousins hands.

I personally trained bootz and Jackie not to react when the leash drops. Reinforcing it with "stay" "it's ok" "wait". Now a days if I drop the leash, they will stop in their tracks and wait for me to pick it up. Sometimes if I'm slow to get it right away, they will look back at me like "hello? Anytime now. I want to keep moving!"
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I saw a large carabiner at Target and plan on going back soon to use to attach the leash to my belt loop/purse/hiking backpack. Thought that would be a good idea for you to try out!

Good to hear nothing serious happened, learning experiences can be scary!
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • ddavidddavid
    I Love that advice. ""I've also have worked on with my two Shiba to come to me when I kneel on one knee and point with one finger onto the ground. They seem to have to investigate what I am pointing to.""

I tried it in house at a distance, and work perfectly. Gave a kibble to my wife, and
    the same happened. I think training in the house should be first before we try it outside.
  • knnwangknnwang
    I like the 6’ leather leashes. There strong, soft, and have a little bit of give/stretch. I usually snake the rope over my pinky and thumb like this.

photo 20140128_180137_zpsf1e2b6db.jpg

With a light grip, the leash holds very securely.

photo 20140128_180108_zps22a45081.jpg
  • LoreliLoreli
    I have just basic nylon leashes that have the loop at the end. I always make sure that is looped over my wrist and I am holding the leash with that AND my other hand.

My little guy usually isn't strong enough to pull me unless I am not prepared, but my female will pull me clean off my feet if I am not careful one day...and she stops being afraid of anything outside of my 'safety bubble'.

Glad your little one is safe. Good paying attention by the driver to notice you. I live on a road with a hospital about 5 blocks away. I have people driving STUPID fast down this road...not to mention ambulances going too. On the bright side, my road is ALWAYS plowed and clear :)
  • LuvourSiLuvourSi
    So glad your little one is safe. This is kind of off but on this subject so I thought I would share the link I came across tonight.

http://www.reshareworthy.com/how-to-find-a-lost-dog/
    Post edited by LuvourSi at 2014-01-30 22:56:02
  • So glad your dog is ok, but yes, it happens to the best of us, and is very scary. It happened with my Kai Ken once, and they are known to be even worse than Shibas off leash (bolting out of fear and going feral). Luckily, we did agility together, so I just acted like I meant to unhook him (his leash came unhooked) and said "let's go" in a very cheery voice and pointed to where I wanted him to go, as I do in agility, and he came right over to me. But believe me, my heart stopped, and I didn't even have the horror of a car to add to it.

I love the idea of pointing at the ground. Gonna try that with mine.

And I only use leather leashes. Sometimes the dogs chew on them, which makes me go through them faster than a nylon one, but they are not hard on the hands and don't slip, so I much prefer them.
  • SayaSaya
    @shibamistress I do point to the ground and it's fun game.. I see a animal track or mouse hole, crawfish hole etc. I point to the ground and Saya comes running to see if it is something she can sniff or follow..

I sometimes drop a special treat like cooked meat or home made treat when she isn't looking point at the treat and say hey look at this or find the treat and Saya will come over and look for the item.

I will even drop the leash on purpose and tell Saya/Bella to sit coarse I do it where it is safe so if the dog might run off your safe, but I think it helps lesson the excitement of omg~! Leash fell I'm free! Run and play time!

I could be wrong I'm no dog trainer. Like I said don't do the exercise where it is unsafe try to do it in enclosed area like dog park or something like that.

This dvd might be helpful to shiba owners or future shiba owners.
    http://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?ID=dtb810p

Even if shiba are bad for being off leash it is still important to work on recall daily have a special recall word to use etc. Can practice this in your fenced yard, dog park on long leash. Make it low distraction at first and slowly work up to higher distractions.

If anyone use retractable leash be careful to never drop it unlike lighter nylon or leather leashes the retractable can really scare a dog with the loud noise from the plastic handle.

Some uses an extra loop to have around the wrist so if you drop it the thing is still on you. Same with nylon or leather have tight grip in case the dog suddenly pulls and surprises you. I don't know how a 20 to 24lb dog can pull that hard.. I handled Bella and she is 55 or so lbs never lost grip and she sometimes pulls really hard if she sees an animal like a cat, opossum or rabbit. she is getting better about it, but still working on it.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • JuniJuni
    I have done something similar to Saya. When I tried to have Juni off leash I would relaese her and immediately drop treats around me. That way I kept her interest around me and stopped her from running off first thing. Then I could give her an ok to take off. It could be used for practising both dropping the leash and open doors for those who have door bolters.
  • ekaseyekasey
    This happened to me once.....

I got home and was carrying some groceries, Shinobi jumped for a leaf hard enough to get the leash free and in a flash she was off!

I threw the groceries and ran after her as fast as I could out into the street from my parking garage without looking...

Finally caught her after yelling her name enough that it got her to stop and look so i could step on the leash and pick her up.

When I turned around there were 5-6 cars stopped and waiting, thank goodness nothing happened to us.

I was pretty scared and felt like such a bad parent =(

From then on I have reinforced off leash and on leash stop, stay and wait commands.

Now if I happen to drop the leash ( tested this in a big enclosed field ) she may start to run but responds to commands
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Originally Quoted from: @thecody59: Hi guys just wanted to share with you another very scary experience i had with Riko just a few minutes ago I went to give Riko a walk i have a couple different leashes i grabbed my backup today but never again it is a petsmart on that separates in two and claps together my other one is a very strong one that can't come undone. Riko still likes to pull and he pulled right out of the leash and the claps came undone. I chased him for awhile until i lost him around a corner i ran everywhere but he was gone so i ran home to get my mom to help look lucky i very nice couple found him and cornered him into a fenced house until we got him. it was very scary i thought i would lose my best friend forever never again i am throwing this trash leash away and am buying a gps tracker in case he get's loose i can find him we live next to some very busy highways and he could easily die.

Very glad Riko is home safe. Very scary lesson learned!

[mod edit: included original post that was deleted during thread merge]

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
    Post edited by sunyata at 2014-07-23 07:20:46
  • SayaSaya
    @thecody59 So sorry this happened to you. Luckily you found him.

If your dog isn't micro chipped yet I'd get him soon as it can be helpful if he looses his collar.

Someone I know dog got lost and found someone and her id collar wasn't on that day. Luckily the guy took her in to be scanned so he found a number to call.

This thread talks about the tagg pet tracker. Few people on here uses it. I'd ask on this thread for more info on it.
    http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/8812/tagg-the-pet-tracker-gps-tracker/p1

There is few other brands out there. The tagg one seems pretty popular..
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • moramimorami
    @thecody59 Wow, that's scary. I'm sorry that happened to you. Glad he's safe now.

I use the typical leash with a loop at one end. Whenever I walk Koji outside our fenced-in yard, I slip my hand through the loop and wrap the leash a few times around my hand. I then make a tight fist, and before I leave for a walk I open my hand and pull on the leash to see if Koji could slip off in any way. If it's tight enough the leash won't slip off, even with an open hand. While walking I also use my other hand to hold the leash (Koji walks on my left side). So my right hand is in a tight fist with the leash looped around it and my left hand is holding another portion of the leash.
    My grip looks like this (picture off of Google):

Koji is still a puppy and isn't strong enough to drag me yet. I've already taught him loose leash walking, but you never know what can happen. I trust him, and he listens to me well so I'm not worried about the way I hold my leash; I wouldn't recommend using the fist-wrapping technique with dogs stronger than you because if they take off they can drag you with them. I would say the same thing for wrapping the leash around your wrist or waist/belt, too. If you think your dog is strong enough to pull you with them if they try to take off, you might get yourself injured too. But since Riko is still a puppy I would say you don't have anything to worry about. Just condition him to walking at your side and walking on a loose leash.
    Post edited by morami at 2014-07-23 17:19:37
  • sakkasakka
    i had a close call recently as well - sakka is usually very well-behaved during walks and the most he'll do is lay down on the grass if he wants a break. because of this, i usually have him on a loose leash. however, one day he saw a squirrel around a garbage can during our walk. he headed straight for it, of course, but i stopped him. it was hiding behind the garbage can and wasn't moving, so we prepared to walk past it. as we walked past, the squirrel darted out from behind the garbage can into the road. sakka took off and yanked the leash harder than i've ever felt as he sprinted after it - it felt like my shoulder was almost dislocated. i'm not a very big/strong person, so he is able to drag me when he really wants to (although he always listens so it's not a concern). at the same moment that he sprinted into the street, a van was driving by and i screamed bloody murder as it was about to hit sakka. the van stopped immediately and sakka stopped as well. all of this happened in less than a blink of an eye. the lady in the van proceeded to scream at me for not watching my dog while i was just thankful she stopped in time.

now i'm beyond vigilant when i walk him. even though he's able to drag me, i still wrap the leash around my fist several times to keep him on a slightly shorter leash - this way, even though he can drag me, he won't be able to sprint into the road as easily because my weight will slow him down.
    instagram.com/sakkaho
  • BootzBootz
    morami posted some nice tips.

This is why its so important to train your shiba to walk correctly on a leash. They are not suppose to be dragging you around.
  • sakkasakka
    yup, i walk him exactly like morami walks his shiba now. i even have the same leash, i think! sakka walks very well on a leash, but as morami said, you never know what can happen.
    instagram.com/sakkaho
  • moramimorami
    That's actually not me, sakka. Lol It's a random image off of google. (too lazy to get an actual picture of myself)

Yeah, most of the time when I walk Koji he doesn't pull, but he's still a puppy and he still gets excited. I correct him and then we're back to our normal walking. I trust him enough to walk him while holding the leash 'normally', but our dogs certainly aren't conditioned to be okay with everything in this world and something out of the ordinary can happen that will spook your dog and make him or her want to bolt. It's always good to take precautions. Just the other day when I was walking Koji he got a little freaked out over a sign that said "Warning! Keep out". His fur was standing on end and he wanted to get as far away from it as he could, but I had to take him to it and let him smell it to see that it was a harmless, inanimate object. Dogs can be like horses, if you've ever had experience with horses. The strangest things can get them spooked.

@thecody59 It can be fairly easy to train your dog to walk on a loose leash. Just look up youtube videos and you should be able to find what you need. That should stop your puppy from pulling you so much and taking off whenever he gets the chance. It should make him more reliable, and you won't have to worry so much.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    @morami...nice posts! I agree with most of what you say. My only concern(not necessarily with you), is not pushing a puppy past threshold. It's great to introduce puppy to novel things, but please don't force the pup.(again, not saying you...a general statement). Forcing a pup into the unknown can cause more harm than good.

A good article on teaching loose leash walking:

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/15_10/features/Training-Loose-Leash-Walking_20624-1.html

• moramimorami
    @Kobe1468 Yeah, I agree with you a lot on that one. The puppy can fear an object more by forcing them. It's like training a bad experience. If Koji wouldn't have been okay with me introducing him to the foreign object I would've just walked past it and let him get used to it on his own terms.

In addition to Kobe's link, this is also a really good link about improving your dog's leash manners:
    http://www.dogster.com/lifestyle/leash-training-dogs
  • Kaya_BearKaya_Bear
    Close calls are scary experiences. I realized the 1st day I adopted my shiba that a collar and leash was not smart because of their head shape. It's just too easy for her to slip out of the collar. I got a harness and it was great. One day though we were talking to a neighbor and while we were stopped someone was coming down the street with a german shepherd and Kaya somehow wriggled her way out of the harness! She bolted straight for the other dog and thankfully he was well trained and let her sniff him but I was terrified! I bought her a new harness that hopefully will contain her, that was the only time she got away. She did come right back though so that was nice. They are just very fast dogs.
    photo 8cdd9b46-aaa9-4cfc-8c3f-693b94b32da8_zps2ccdd366.jpg
  • I can certainly sympathize with everyone here, I've had a number of escape close calls myself with my Juno. The worst however just happened last week. Juno suffers from some very bad anxiety and occasional seizures. We have it under control with medication and life has been easy for over a year. Then two weeks ago she began having issues with confinement. One night when we went out she broke out of her safe place (gated room) and had a panic attack in the house. Destroying blinds and clawing at windows. Eventually she made her way to our bedroom on the second floor where she found an open window and clawed a hole in the screen and jumped out. She fell around 18-20ft. We found her bloody in the backyard suffering from shock. Several days later and a 4 hour emergency drive to Lansing Michigan our baby Juno is doing fine. She managed to not break any bones (a miracle) and needed surgery to repair a ruptured bladder. One thing I gotta say, the Michigan state university veterinary teaching hospital is amazing. If you have an emergency and can get to them they will take the very best care of your little one as well as you. I would never have imagined her panic would drive her to do something like this. Needless to say we are taking more steps to further secure her safe place.
  • BootzBootz
    Had a close call with Bootz yesterday.

We brought Bootz and Jackie to a relative's house. They both have free roam of the house and backyard. We were there from 2 pm til 9 pm. No issues, they both check in with my husband and I throughout the day, and vise versa.

Around 8 pm... Different groups were leaving, which was fine. Bootz usually watch them exit the house then check in with my husband and I. However, my parents (who Bootz knew growing up) was leaving the house. My mom (even though I told her a million times) left the door wide open. Bootz wandered out.

My cousin checked for Bootz and discovered she was missing. So I called/searched for Bootz in the backyard, while my husband check the front of the house and the neighboring blocks (we were at a cul de sac). Luckily, a neighbor had his garage door open, working on some stuff. Bootz had approached this man and sniffed him, while allowing him to pet her. My husband called Bootz and she came straight back to him :)

• Kobe1468Kobe1468
    So glad Bootz is ok!

A good example of how important it is to have a well socialized dog. A fearful dog could have been blocks away, in a panic.

Kobe got away from me this past winter(due to my own stupidity). I found him down the road at a unfamiliar 'neighbours' house(approx. 1/2 mile) hanging out with the guy who had been snow blowing his laneway. I'm so glad he loves people!
  • I been in that situation before with my Chihuahua mix. Hopefully that doesn't happen again... :(
  • Hi i haven't been on the forum for awhile but i wanted to share what happened tonight, . Riko got loose again tonight, a family member was walking him when he pulled and got loose off the leash i just spent 30 minutes chasing him up and down my townhouses and he was running in and out the streets i don't think i can take this anymore i was so scared he was going to get hit and die and i don't think i could ever live with myself if he did. But he doesn't want to come when called at all i even tried giving him his favorite treats ever he goes crazy when i have these at home but he wouldn't do anything for them outside. Now i am covered in blood from my hands diving to try grab him. This week i am buying a tracker unit for Riko so i at least i know where he is if i can't catch him ad i will be looking for training in the area to handle this behavior i know i can't train him to be free off leash but i want to be able to get him to come when he is called because i know if this happens again the worst will happen and he will go right into a car.
    Post edited by thecody59 at 2014-11-12 22:13:35
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    W/B @thecody59

I've experienced the feeling...sort of helpless panic! I'm so glad Riko is home safe.

I believe there are threads on the forum concerning recall, and lots of great articles to aide you, but I also think professional help can be extremely successful and rewarding. Maybe a good option at this point...I hate seeing anybody so (rightfully) frustrated.

Again, glad he's safe...wishing you luck.

• It happened again this morning when my mom came home from work he was standing by the door and slipped through it again it was easier this time but i can't deal with this anymore.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @thecody59 - Shibas are not known for their recall. They are also known for having necks that are the same size as their head. If your Shiba is on a regular collar, you need to fix that before you start having a freak out about not being able to deal...

Get your Shiba a martingale or limited slip collar or an escape proof harness, such as the Ruffwear Webmaster harness. Talk to your family members about how to properly walk your dog and how to ensure that your pup does not bolt through the door (an ex-pen around the front door works great, putting the dog in a crate while you are away also works well).

It appears that there is a lot of human error going on in your home, so you need to fix that first, then work with the dog on recall, door bolting, etc.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • @thecody59-I agree with @sunyata and would add that I have taught Quake to back away from the door when I open it. He used to bolt the door when he lived with my son so I didn't want him doing the same thing when he came to live with me. Before we leave for a walk I have him back away from the door and sit every single time. Then I go out the door and I tell him "Mom first" and he follows when I say "now Quake". When I get home from somewhere I open the door and he knows to back away from the door before greeting me. He knows that when we are at any doorway I always go first and then he does. You have to be very consistent when you do this training and of course use positive reinforcement. Now when we go into any room in the condo he backs away and I go into the room first. I hope this helps.
  • BootzBootz
    @thecody59

Definitely second what Sunyata says. The problem is not the shiba, it's the human errors. Have you been going over with your family member the proper training method? Door bolting is something that should have been worked on long ago, that or have baby gates installed.

Also the fact that your shiba was able to "pull" the leash from your family members hand means they are not holding the leash properly. You definitely need them to be on the same page, if not, then you need to be the ONLY person responsible for walks and what not...
    Post edited by Bootz at 2014-11-13 13:59:38
  • I bought a gate today for downstairs so he can't get to the door anymore so that is fixed but i work odd shifts alot like 5am to 2pm and 11am to 5pm so he can't hold it that long so that's why she takes him out in the morning.
  • @thecody59-I have a leash for Quake that is very durable and that can go around your waist. It's actually for runners but you can use it for walking too. I bought it for him two years ago and it is still holding up very well.

http://www.kurgostore.com/dog-leashes-and-collars/quantum-leash/
  • I agree with antoinette on the trying a different leash type.

You could also get a leash like this - Multi-Use Leash

We have one for training that we can clip around our waist or in a sling style so that we have both hands free. The leash can't slip from your hand if it's slung around a waist.
  • RooneyRooney
    I had a similar scare when I first got Rooney. My back patio is raised up by two layers of big rocks. The first time Rooney went out there I had him on a leash, but he seemed really scared of the drop off. This lulled me into a false sense of complacency and I thought he could lounge out there with me without the leash next time. Little did I know he had been building up his courage and promptly found an area to jump down. He went bolting up the backyard area of my condo complex and disappeared into the the next section of condos. I tried to follow him, but he was really fast and I heard a car horn in the next condos over and started freaking out. Luckily, they missed him and he came running back to me, but it was still a terrifying experience. I've never trusted him off leash in non-fenced-in areas since.

I use a retractable leash because he's scared of the regular ones. I'm trying to work on him with those though. To prevent bolting, I always keep the retractable locked within a safe range if we're near a road (he gets more slack if it's safe for it). I still hold it twice though. Once with my right hand in the retractable handle and with my left hand on the little knob where the leash would stop retracting.

I have heard before not to chase a Shiba...not sure if it's true or not. I think the reason was because they might think it's a game or get scared and keep running. With my one incident, that seemed true. He zipped right off when I was following him, but when I went back by the patio and called him/offered treats, he came back okay.
    Allison, Rooney's Mom
  • @attheCody59-In my humble opinion I still think it's a good idea to teach Riko to sit before he gets to step out the door and to be trained that he has to be told to come out the door before he can do so. I have a friend who put up gates in her house to keep the dog from bolting when the door opened but it did not prevent him from bolting when she took him to visit her parents since they did not have any gates.
  • When we got our Shiba from our breeder she gave us a velcro wrist strap that attaches to the end of the leash and also to your wrist, so if your Shiba yanks the leash out of your hand, the wrist strap catches it. I will try and download a good picture. It has saved us from losing Fen MANY times!
  • MooseMoose
    Something my trainer recommends is also doing border training, ie, train the dog to stop at the sidewalk, and must hear a command (my trainer uses "take a break") to allow the dog into the street.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (4)