For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Adult Woes - SHIBA RANT
  • BootzBootz
    Since I've read so many threads about people complaining about their puppies...I decided to post a rant about my adult Shiba who is currently 2.5 years old +

I think this would be a good way to let current and future Shibas owner know what to expect as their Shiba mature, and is no longer considered a puppy. I will share my rants now, which I am sure many other Shiba owners can relate to, and hopefully hear some stories from other Shiba owners as well. Keep in mind, my rants are just for amusement purposes. I love my Shiba.

This is adult woes - no puppy woes please!

Thank You :)

• BootzBootz
    Rant # 1 - The amount of time they take to do their Business. It usually takes Bootz 5-10 mins tops to do her business in the morning. But MAN...when it comes to night time (Before bed) she sure does take her time. She normally takes 5-10 mins to "warm up" followed by half an hour of sniffing, before she starts to do her business. Also, if she was distracted by a car/stranger walking by her, we would have to start the sniffing process all over again.

Rant # 2 - Their stubbornness (This rant is from my Husband). My Husband and I walked Bootz the other night and she took a LONG time to do her business. My husband got frustrated and it showed in his tone, Bootz caught on to his frustration and basically gave him a hard time: She gave him the look, took longer than she usually do, even refused to do her business. ***I laughed because that is typical shiba***

Rant # 3 - Bed Hog. Bootz has been cuddly lately and would sleep in my bed with me, which is fine. The bad part? She would curl up with her back against my chest. During the night while i'm asleep, she would then extend her legs out and push off. I would wake up finding myself at the edge of the bed or on my Husband's side, while Bootz has a majority of the bed to herself.

Rant # 4 - Shiba-princess syndrome. Instead of crawl into my lap or curl up against me, Bootz would stare at me and expect me to know, she wants to be cuddled. Same with the water bowl, when it is empty, she would stare at it expecting it to refill itself, instead of scratching it and letting me know (which her sister does).
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    We also have rants 1,2, and 3 with our female and with one of our males we observe the "me first", meaning he wants the treat first. Wth our youngest, he just doesn't want to miss out on something, so he will push to see what he is missing. We have 3 Shibas.
  • RyanRyan
    My only real complaint is that they don't quite get it that when it is 40deg C outside, they aren't getting walked no matter how cool the A/C is. Bella will then keep me awake ALL night just whinging at everything wanting to go for a walk.

Oh, she's a snarky bitch but that's an intact female for you.
    Bella (Sherae Aka Akicho) | F | Born 27/1/2012
    Suki (Aust. Ch. Betlin Takaisuki) | M | Born 03/02/2005, adopted 10/09/2012
  • jennjenn
    @bootz i feel your pain about the potty thing. oh man. it can be really bad when its pouring rain or freezing out. :?

1 - we also have a potty diva. its the WORST when rigby has ate something he wasn't supposed to (part of a toy, a piece of garbage, etc), because then he takes an hour wandering around, sniffing things, etc. to actually relieve himself. we had an up-at-4am-night last week. :/

2 - lately rigby has taken to barking at me (and only me or his grandma, apparently he knows who the soft touches are) when he's hungry, when he's bored, when he thinks i should be playing with him, etc. its really awesome since we live in a condo which makes it hard to just ignore him...

3 - the nail trims. don't get me started. i think we're going to make him his own giant emery board because we just can't.
    Jenn, Shiba Slave to Rigby / http://hellorigby.com
  • AvehAveh
    Ahh it's strangely satisfying to read about other Shiba woes :D

1. He sits by the balcony door and whines to go out. I open door, he goes out only to sit down right by the door, on the balcony, and stare inside at us. If I close the balcony door (because it's freezing outside in Canada) (and the balcony door is glass so he can still see us), he'll whine even louder. If I just leave the door open for him and retreat to my room, he follows me and plops down by my feet! Why did you want the door open then?! He does something similar with other doors in the home, like a damn whiney cat. "Let me out let me out!! Let me in let me in!! Let me out let me out!!"

2. Makes these crying whimpering sounds every time he finishes a yummy raw meal or any other particularly delicious treat. He's been doing this since he was a pup and it always sounds like he's whimpering in pain (first few times I thought he had a bone stuck in his throat or something!!). But turns out it's his version of "ahhh that was super delicious.

3. He's caught on that the longer he holds in his pee and poo, the longer of a walk he gets. Horrible in the morning when I'm trying to leave for work.

4. Screams like a banshee getting murdered when it comes to nail trimming and shower time.

5. Recall is excellent except when it matters I KNOW YOU CAN HEAR ME. WE'VE PAID GOOD MONEY TO PUT YOU THROUGH OBEDIENCE SCHOOL AND HAVE SPENT A LOT OF TIME PRACTICING. STOP PRETENDING YOU CAN'T HEAR ME!
    Post edited by Aveh at 2014-01-15 19:05:43
  • RyanRyan
    jenn said:

@bootz i feel your pain about the potty thing. oh man. it can be really bad when its pouring rain or freezing out. :?

1 - we also have a potty diva. its the WORST when rigby has ate something he wasn't supposed to (part of a toy, a piece of garbage, etc), because then he takes an hour wandering around, sniffing things, etc. to actually relieve himself. we had an up-at-4am-night last week. :/

2 - lately rigby has taken to barking at me (and only me or his grandma, apparently he knows who the soft touches are) when he's hungry, when he's bored, when he thinks i should be playing with him, etc. its really awesome since we live in a condo which makes it hard to just ignore him...

3 - the nail trims. don't get me started. i think we're going to make him his own giant emery board because we just can't.

Oh yeah, those. Nail trims are easy on Suki, IMPOSSIBLE on bell. Plus, being the vocal one she loves to jump on my chest and yell at me to play with her. or tell me that i should lift up the couch. at 6am. on a sunday. when i;m in bed with someone and hungover. thanks bitch.
    Bella (Sherae Aka Akicho) | F | Born 27/1/2012
    Suki (Aust. Ch. Betlin Takaisuki) | M | Born 03/02/2005, adopted 10/09/2012
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Hey everyone!

So, are all these behaviors things that your adult Shibas displayed as puppies, and eventually became more intense? Or did they just start out of the blue?

I would hate to think that my now 7-month old puppy that is great with doing her business, doesn't snark much at all, etc could possibly become a hellion!

Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • zandramezandrame
    @Kira_Kira, for the most part, with maturity shibas lose their innocence and replace it with snark. Lol. Around the 1.5 to 2 year mark, the intolerance sets in, mostly around strange dogs. And with mature bladders/bowels comes the option to be picky about where to go. :)
  • Kit_Keet_Kit_Keet_
    Haha the most recent one for me was when we had that ridiculously cold snap. It was -10 plus here before the windchill, with the windchill it was well below that. Needless to say, we did not take walks for a couple of days there. We have a fenced in backyard, so I let the dogs out on one of these cold days and Kit walks probably three quarters of the way out there decides she's warm on her body, but her feet not so much. She starts stopping and holding one foot in the air for a bit before continuing on. So I freak out, put boots on, run out there to get her and carry her in. All of this would've been fine, if she hadn't proceeded to do the exact. same. thing. every single time I let her out!

We also have the #3 issue. Except she also gets a little disconcerted when our other dog takes "her spot" laying by my chest. Kit then proceeds to pace up and down the bed and in circles staring at me and Bel in a mild panic because, obviously, no other spot on the bed is even remotely as good.
  • ddavidddavid
    Thanks Bootz, fun reading.
    We have an 7 - 8 year old. I read Rant #1 to my wife because she does the walking.
    She said: OH DEAR (I'm in recuperation of a shattered heal bone - so it's yet not my time.)
    Rant #2 Their stubbornness: Too long of a list. He knows how to dig in. Push me aside.
    Never give up. Stare at me forever. Act as if he was death & dumb I until lower my voice 1 Octane.
    Rant #3 Bed Hog. LOL Tell me. I can have a foot left, he won't move an inch. If I roll over he will keep his position on top of me. My wife is going on a diet so she won't fall off of bed.
    Rant #4 There lots of communication between him & us. He pounces on the bed when he wants out, Makes funny crying noises to get our attention. If don't act immediately after 30 seconds he gives us a warning Foxy Coyote cry. He makes great lapdog for my wife, and without warning jumps into her lap -- some day his paws will scratch up her iPad if she ever looses that quick reaction. I'm just a slave, a servant, and kibble a giver. There is no love there but he expects his kibbles from me. So he sits and whines
    with his tail going 75 mph, until I throw him one, and another and another.
    When I'm done giving he's back to my loving wife.

In end he knows when to smile, cry, bark, wag his tail, and make faces. A Shiba is truly the boss.
  • RikkaRikka
    UGH GOD, POTTY TIME. MY BIGGEST COMPLAINT! D:<

a) We have relatively spacious side-yard, and a large patch of grass, yet Sagan will NEVER go pee nor poop out there. Even when it's sunny, the grass isn't wet, and everything--he refuses. Even as a puppy, he didn't like going in the most convenient place! He will not even go pee on the same street our townhouse is on now. We have to at least walk around a block, sometimes more, for him to even pee. Pooping is at least a 45+ minute walk. But as soon as his leash is off at a dog park, he'll immediately spring to the nearest corner and poop within milliseconds. I. don't. get. it.

b) Nail trimming and vet visits. Welp, we're still looking for a muzzle, because he apparently can't tolerate either of those anymore as he's gotten older. It's bizarre because he's fine with myself, and others, playing / messing with his paws, but as soon as there's a trimmer involved, all hell breaks lose. It's as if we're cutting off his actual paw. (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
    Post edited by Rikka at 2014-01-15 23:10:46
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Great thread!!!!

I would post more, but King Kobe is calling....gotta go!!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • koyukikoyuki
    Rant #1 Nail clipping (Koyuki)- she screamed so so so loudly and FLIPPED into the air at the vets that other clients came running into the room thinking the dog was dying. Ugh.
    Same behaviour for bath time for Koyuki. Shes a twonk.

Rant#2 refuses to come inside. Will run around in the backyard making me chase them. This is a PAIN as they are on a constant rotation of being in and out , taking turns with the younger two. Takeo is worse for this-he will rin off and hunt imaginary critters.

Rant#3 Koyuki- extremely vocal when she doesnt get her way immediately- whether its for a pat, dinner, coming inside etc she goes straight into the yodel/scream

Rant#4 intolerance of dogs- Takeo is consistent atleast-he does not like other dogs 100% of the time. Koyuki though will want to play then 30 seconds in she changes her mind and gets very snarky
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Kenji- black and tan male
    Suma- sesame female
    Haruki-brindle Japanese Akita Inu
  • RAM25RAM25
    Ha Bootz when I read the intro to this thread I was thinking 'I don't have any adult woes' and then I read your first rant and realised all of that is identical to my Shiba - except she takes an hour plus in the morning to do her business, specifically so I miss my preferred train to work, or so it seems...

Oh and the fact that my Shiba has developed a taste for my socks, knickers and bras and will not stop eating huge holes in every nice garment I own. She keeps getting into the laundry hamper/my wardrobe and running through with my clothes in her mouth. I have no idea how she's doing it grrr
    Post edited by RAM25 at 2014-01-16 02:28:57
  • ArcticArctic
    zandrame said:

@Kira_Kira, for the most part, with maturity shibas lose their innocence and replace it with snark. Lol. Around the 1.5 to 2 year mark, the intolerance sets in, mostly around strange dogs. And with mature bladders/bowels comes the option to be picky about where to go. :)

This is a great explanation of the change in their personality, I think!

1) Just like everyone else, POTTY TIME! Sansa can hold it all day long, but she'll hold it still until a good 5-10 minutes into our walk before peeing. And pooping? Forget it, that requires lengthy walking, and the 40 minute walk she gets every morning before I go to work may not cut it. Case in point, she didn't really poop today on our morning walk. It stresses me out all day long. I like that it forces me to walk her whether I want to or not since it keeps us active, but it really sucks during the winter. And if there is a distraction around, such as another dog or something, forget it.

2) Sansa also does the thing where she will stare at me to request cuddles instead of, you know, actively engaging me or coming to be with affection. She will also stare at the water bowl or, around dinner time, sit two feet away from me and just stare at my face until I feed her. Shiba Princess Syndrome like crazy with her.

3) Nail clippings are rough. I will fully concede that it's my fault for not conditioning her better to it. She was good with it for a while until I accidentally cut her quick. Now, forget it.

4) When Sansa sees fit to sleep on the bed with me, she always sleeps above the covers and away from me. And if I toss and turn in the middle of the night and bump into her by accident, she growls like a rabid dog since I'm startling her sleep. Little stinker!

• Ha! Yeah, I've got a couple of picky pottiers. Our female takes FOR-EV-ER to pee, and seems to have a bladder of steel. She can go 12 hours between pees and still act like she doesn't want/need to go out. Don't even get me started about pooping in the crazy snow/ice/antarctic cold we've been having. Several of us hearty midwestern Shiba parents have been comparing the length of poop strikes that our Shibas have been on. There's nothing like being outside in -10 degrees at 10 pm with an icy wind and you have to take another loop around the block on a sheet of ice because she refuses to poop -- mind you, you can SEE that she needs to poop because it keeps peeking out before she slams the door shut. Sigh...

Our male is still young (he turns 1 this month, so this is NOT a puppy rant!) so we take him out more often. He doesn't usually take as long to pee, but his issue, which our first male Shiba also had, was the need to find just the right spot. He sniffs, and stniffs, and sniffs - then does this multi-step parallel parking maneuver to sidle up to whatever tree, bush or snowbank he's selected. If something in the terrain or karma or environment just isn't perfect, he'll abort and we have to start all over again. This is complicated by the fact that Jiro is missing most of his right front leg (he's a rescue from a puppy mill - not sure how it happened, but whatever happened was shortly after birth). Anyway, most of the time he will kind of lean forward and to one side to direct his pee. But sometimes he'll lift his rear leg and that's when it gets hilarious. With only two feet on the ground, he'll teeter, then stumble, then sometimes face-plant -- all while peeing (makes lovely and complex little yellow designs in fresh snow)! Other times, he'll fling one leg so high in the air that his head is on the ground for balance, sending a glorious arc of pee high into the air. My personal favorite is when he leans to one side to pee, and cranes his neck all the way around to watch himself, which usually means he ends up peeing on himself.
  • ebumuebumu
    Ha! I like this thread (still laughing about three-legged pee acrobatics).

I have a different kind of adult potty rant, which is this: When we are walking and find some piece of featureless terrain that smells JUST SO VERY INTERESTING, we have a conflict between smelling and peeing on that place. That's when Griffin, in his earnest eagerness, will pee right on Mia's head if I am not very quick with the leash. It happened this morning--I was sleepy. It grosses me out(!!!!), although neither dog seems to get what I am talking about. One evening, long after dark, I found myself involuntarily shouting "you do not pee on your mother's head!" so loud that the neighbors came out to check on the situation. Sigh.
  • tatonkatatonka
    Not sure these are rants but just behavior changes.

#1 - barking at human male strangers. This presented itself at about 8 months. Prior to that Tatonka had puppy "I love everybody" attitude. I've thought hard about where it might have come from but my best guess is over socialization with people. He'd get grabbed and petted and squeezed quite a bit and I think at some point he started hating it. He barks only at people who focus on him and trying to approach him. I carry treats everywhere so that he gets treats from random strangers we run into, so it helps.

#2 - getting smarter. It used to be that it was EASY to get Tatonka to chase me. Now he's figured out that he can just wait out a hide n seek, so he'll just plant himself and stare. Of course I can still get him to come but he'll have a scowl afterwards or sigh because he's been tricked. As we know these dogs are quite smart and sometimes too smart for their own good.

#3 - teaching new tricks. When trying to learn some tricks Tatonka may get frustrated because he's not getting it fast enough. Basically if he doesn't like the setup he'll completely forego any rewards (treats, play ball) and walk away. Of course he responds to commands he's taught, but I find it difficult to teach him new things if he doesn't feel like it. Best way to describe it is that his body is there but mind is elsewhere - his body will respond to "come" and "stay" but his mind is elsewhere and not willing to learn.
    Monkey!
  • BootzBootz
    @Kira_Kira Zandrame basically explained it.

All of which I posted about, she did not display as a puppy. This is one of the reasons I decided to create this topic =P so puppy owners like yourself know what to expect!

@Rikka, LOL! Bootz does that too. I think they poop quickstyle so they can run/play/sniff around.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I hope I can remain strong if that is what I have to look forward to... and I thought I got lucky with having the most angelic Shiba puppy ever. At least she's cute :))
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • Lol, good to know when the attitude kicks in!
    The shiba boy I used to take out was a potty artiste - he had to sniff the entire yard, then do a dance nearwhere he was gonna go (or not, change his mind n pick a different area) then circle circle circle and if there was any distraction at this stage, start over.. THEN FINALLY the poops fall out and then the kicking..mostly clods of grass, or just kick in the air but sometimes..flying turd :P
    That is when i learned steer clear of a kicking shiba!
  • I really enjoyed reading this thread! I got a couple of good laughs out of it. ;) I will have my boyfriend read this so he also knows what to expect! We've been doing pretty good with our Yoshi Bear. :) When he starts acting up and running around the house like a little hot shot race car, I just look at my boyfriend and say, "he's only a little Shiba!" :) :)
    photo 6b74d441-46df-4852-af9a-1f765aea9bb0.jpg
  • This is a great thread.

Rant #1 Miko does not like to pee all at the same time. He feel like he has to mark up every single tree, light pole, stop sign, and bush in the neighborhood before he comes home. This makes it hard in the morning when you are rushing to get ready for work and leave on time.

Rant #2 Every time we leave the house for a walk or for potty time, Miko thinks that we're going for a car ride. He'll come straight up to my car and start pawing it while looking at me. If I click the alarm, he starts running around in circles. However, once I open up the door, he won't get in. He'll stand or sit by the car door and expects me to pick him up and place him in the car. The dude knows how to jump into the car. I've seen him do it on multiple times. Yet, he decides that he wants to be carried into the back seat of the car.

Rant #3 Before, Miko would sleep through the night on the doggy bed that I leave in the corner of my room. Mine you, he's only 8 months now, he's been good throughout the night. Recently, He's been waking me up around 3, and 4, and 5 to, what I think, let him out to pee or poos. He doesn't do any of that. Instead, he gallups around in the backyard kicking his soccer ball around. I'll leave the door open or a crack, and go back to bed (it's cold), so he can open it up on his own and come in to which I will leave the warmth of the bed to close the backyard door. Once I'm in bed, he'll settle down only to do it again an hour later. W.T.F.

Rant #4 Miko apparantly hates bath time. I'll take him to the groomers and they'll call me an hour later telling me that his having a bad day so they couldn't bathe him. I'll pick him up and go home. The next day, as i'm getting ready for work, he jumps in the shower with me. I decide, WTH, I give him a shower and he's all calm. We leave the bathroom clean and I'm an hour late for work.

Many rants to come.
    Post edited by 949RedFlurry at 2014-01-21 19:38:37
  • JuniJuni
    @949redflurry at 8 months Miko is not even near being an adult. You have a teenager ;)
  • @Juni I know right? :)
  • sunyatasunyata
    @949redflurry - Agreed with Juni, this is typical adolescent behaviour. For rant #3, stop letting him out to play. This is only enabling the behaviour and it will continue.

Instead, if you feel he needs to go potty, take him out on a leash. Walk him around for five minutes, if he does not go, bring him back inside and put him back to bed (a crate will help with this). If he gets up again, do the same thing. Allowing him free run just teaches him that if he wakes you up, he can go out and play.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • @sunyata - thanks for the advice. I will definitely be more mindful of his actions and body language on the potty issue. If deem he does need to go potty, leashing him up is a good idea...even if it means I have to go with him. :)
  • I don't have any adult Shiba rants, because except for the way they became less tolerant of other dogs, I find adult Shibas pretty easy beasts. (For me, adult means past the change that seems to come at about two years of age, when they settle into being the adult dog they will become). Adult Shibas are a breeze in comparison to the puppyhood and adolescence we all had to survive!

The only thing I have noticed is the pickiness about where to go--they are set in their ways, now, and have...preferences! :)

One thing I love about having an elder Shiba (Toby turned 10 yesterday) is that he doesn't pull on the leash on his walks at all anymore, so he is a pleasure to walk with. He just strolls along, calmly, and even though he is dog reactive, he chooses to ignore most other dogs as long as they don't get close to him. I get nervous, especially, if I see a loose dog, but he seems pretty calm.

Also, as an elder, his main role in life seems to be warming the couch or his chair, and he has the softest fur ever, so I like to sit with him and pet his ears.
  • Kit_Keet_Kit_Keet_
    @shibamistress, you are definitely right about all of the above! Haha most of Kit's "adult rants" are more little "isms" she has every now and then rather than typical behaviors!

I think Kit's a little lazy though, she already enjoys warming the couch and chair almost as much as she loves walks!
  • amtiamti
    My foster has to sniff everything and pee on everything! Any place that Taisho or Kaji have peed on, she has to pee as well. If they are sniffing something, she has to sniff and squat. I don't know how many times I have had to pull her head to keep her from getting peed on.

When I try to make the bed every morning, Kaji jumps on the bed and thinks it is time to mess up what I have done. He doesn't crawl under the covers until it is time to fix the bed. Then he does a splendid job of pushing his body through one side of the bed and coming out the other. I have begun to enjoy his silliness and accept that I can no longer have a neatly made bed. There will always be wrinkles on my comforter.

When Kaji gets bored, he'll sit next to my desk chair. If I ignore him, he'll start a quiet pitiful whine. Then it will change tones, get louder, and then if I still ignore him, he'll get closer and put his paw on my knee. It is quite cute. But it happens every day at least twice. I'll stop and ask him a series of questions to see what he wants. He'll just tilt his head left and right with his eyes beaming to understand me.
  • @dhelsing - OMG! I just pee'd myself reading your thread! These are great reads! Thanks everyone.
    Panko!
    Post edited by LemonChicken at 2014-01-27 19:15:59
  • knnwangknnwang
    I get to deal with this twice a year for the rest of Ratchet’s life.

photo 20140215_165641_zpsaa808d5d.jpg

photo 20140215_170115_zps4f9c7389.jpg
  • BootzBootz
    @knnwang lol. I'm fine with the shedding...except when my husband freaks out everytime... "Omg i can see her skin" "omg...is she ok?" "omg is the collar too tight?" "Omg, do i have to take her to the doctor"

Me: -_- she's shedding. Of course you'll see her skin, her fur is coming out.

did you give her a bath yet? It helps during the peak of the shedding cycle.
  • knnwang said:

I get to deal with this twice a year for the rest of Ratchet’s life.

OMG YES THE SHEDDING - it never stops.

I noticed Tali sleeps more compared to when she was a pup, I think as a pup she would sleep but would harass us more for attention versus now, she knows the drill - master's busy so either a) wait it out b) go to sleep or c) pester master anyway

Haha I feel like she's more well behaved but she still hasn't gotten over the "I wanna be friends with every other human/animal in existence" phase. She's a year and a half now. Waiting to see if she reaches that point everyone else talks about where she's wary of strangers. XD

Oh and she still has that "I think you're stupid" look that she gives us when we're trying to be slick with her or she's bored. Like when throwing her favorite toy, she's chasing it all happy and then we just switched to another toy that I guess she didn't favor as much, threw it and she just looked at it like, "You want me to get that? No, where's the ball we were playing with?" *sigh* Tali...
  • micomico
    Another morning potty rant - if its raining we've got to go out into the garden so she follows otherwise she will not get out of bed and she has one preferred spot for peeing and another for pooing. Likewise we come in from work and she may have been on her own for 8 hours if I haven't been able to come home at lunchtime and if its still raining (we're in the UK and its rained almost constantly for 8 wks) she won't go out but come 8pm and there's something good on TV and she wants to go out every 10 minutes and at our bedtime she pretends to be asleep and refuses to go out.

9pm means human playtime, she does play fetch with me (instigated by her) when I come home for all of 3 minutes before going back to bed but at the witching hour we have to press pause on the TV and entertain her until she's bored with us and then she'll go back to her lonely bed in the kitchen only coming back into the living room to let us know she needs to go out again or if husband gets himself a packet of crisps and then she's his best friend (while they last)!

Diva alert - she won't walk through a muddy puddle - that's for humans - but will jump into any pond we pass (and a lot have filled up with all the rain) and she won't go for a walk if its raining. She can do a variety of tricks but only for whoever taught her and only when there's a treat on offer.

Does anyone else's dog play mindgames with passersby? Shibas are rare here and if I'm waiting for husband she stands in a perfect showring stance and focusses on someone approaching, 7/10 they stop and make a fuss and ask what she is but she stares at the back of the 3/10 who ignore as they walk away with a look to us that says 'they dare ignore the beauty of the shiba'. Someone once said I don't like dogs but felt compelled to come over!
  • RikkaRikka
    she won't go out but come 8pm and there's something good on TV and she wants to go out every 10 minutes

Sagan does this a lot too. :|

"Humans are comfortable and winding down after a long day on the couch? Better ring the bell every 10 minutes to let them know how badly I gotta go out, even though I won't go in the backyard."
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)