For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Puppy attitude a problem?
  • Hi all so I've got a 10 week old puppy named Riley. So I know at this age they get bored easily and tend to try and chew/nibble/bite anything they can. The problem I'm having is that when he bites/nibbles something he's not supposed i tell "No Bad Boy!" in a negative tone or I sort of nudge him away from the object he starts to mouthy with me and sometimes growls and bites me.he's very stubborn and that I already knew but I'm just trying to figure out if this biting and attitude might be a issue down the road. Also in the mornings or if he hasn't seen me in a while he gets pretty mouthy which I take is his excitement. Any ideas everyone?
    Thanks in advance!!

[mod edit: changed category]
    Post edited by sunyata at 2014-01-15 20:41:40
  • BootzBootz
    Greetings. Please look up the many threads available under "Common Puppy Woes" located on the right side bar. This is a VERY common topic among new shiba puppy owners.

Here is one of the threads with the same issue.

http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/5199/bad-signs-of-aggression-and-biting#Item_25

Thank You
  • SayaSaya
    This is pretty normal for his age. saya would still give mom love bites when she came home from work. Once I got mom to not pay attention to her till she was calmer then Saya got better with greetings.

Saya was bad with biting as pup pants, hair, hands etc.

If the dog has enough chew items maybe up exercise and mental stimulation do bit extra training to help wear him out.

When you nudge him he probably thinks you want to play. Saya is noisy when she plays with me growls and makes crazy shiba noises. She has two types of growls it sounds differently one is afraid go away and other is I'm happy and playful..

Could be he is frustrated that you stopped him.

He'll improve over time as you work with him. is he doing any puppy class playing with another puppy helps wear pups down.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • zandramezandrame
    This is common, and as others have said, lots of threads here address this issue.

Main thing you want to do is NOT yell at him. Make it a positive experience, and teach him to choose better in the future by redirecting him to something he CAN chew. Same with when he gets mouthy. Have plenty of good alternatives like toys and other chews. Most dogs love bully sticks, so you can probably easily redirect him. When he mouths you, put a toy in his mouth instead.
  • Im having the same problem with you right now my puppy is 8 weeks old and bites everything :( i cant even touch it normally.
  • ArcticArctic
    Perhaps you guys caught me in a mood, but I'll jump in and be "that guy" and say that if someone has done ANY sort of preparation or reading about their Shiba puppy, they'd know that not only is this 100% normal and expected, but that it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Please read some of the threads linked or do a forum search. This has been addressed in several other topics, as others have pointed out.
  • AvehAveh
    Just wait till they chew holes in your baseboards.
    *mumble* ...I just doze off for a few minutes... *mumble*
  • jennjenn
    @maru_kun and @grigor92 i think its been said a million times on any thread dealing with puppy "issues" but shibas are hellions as puppies. they mouth everything, and sometimes it really hurts! teaching good bite inhibition is really important.

please read before you get your puppy and after you get your puppy, both by dr. ian dunbar, available for free here: http://www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads
    Jenn, Shiba Slave to Rigby / http://hellorigby.com
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I agree with @zandrame - the key is to redirect the puppy to chew something else. There was a particular small toy that Kira loved. I carried it with me/kept it on the living room table. Whenever she chewed on something or someone, out came the toy and placed directly in her mouth. She learned, with a lot of redirection, what she should and shouldn't chew.

The thing I would be concerned about if I were you is that your puppy is showing apprehension towards you disciplining him. You aren't physically attacking him, but you want to ensure that all his experiences with you are positive so I would recommend stop yelling or raising our voice at him immediately if that reaction is because of the yelling. The redirection of giving him something else should be sufficient and he will eventually figure out what behaviors he should not do.

Mouthiness is very common, either when I get home from work or first thing in the morning. Kira licks me like crazy every morning when she wakes up and greets me with a toy in her mouth when I arrive home. It's just from pure excitement. Always carry a little toy to stick in his mouth, you should be fine!
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • zandrame said:

Main thing you want to do is NOT yell at him. Make it a positive experience, and teach him to choose better in the future by redirecting him to something he CAN chew. Same with when he gets mouthy. Have plenty of good alternatives like toys and other chews. Most dogs love bully sticks, so you can probably easily redirect him. When he mouths you, put a toy in his mouth instead.

^^^ this!

jenn said:

please read before you get your puppy and after you get your puppy, both by dr. ian dunbar, available for free here: http://www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads

^^^ and this!

Also, your puppy doesn't have an "attitude" problem. He is simply being a puppy. Mouthing/biting is instinctual, normal puppy behavior. You have to teach puppies that certain puppy behaviors are unacceptable when living with humans (biting, house soiling, etc.)

Also, Artic is right, it will get worse before it gets better. Your puppy's chewing instinct will go into overdrive when he starts getting his adult teeth. Train early, often, and with compassion.

This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)