For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Places You Can Take Your Puppy
  • Good Morning,

I had a really random question. I know everyone recommends socializing your puppy as soon as possible, no high dog traffic areas until shots are completed, etc. My question is, where all are you allowed to take your puppy? I get parks and outdoor areas but I feel it would be frowned upon if I wander into Best Buy with a puppy. I had never really thought about it until reading that you should try to bring your puppy as many places as possible. I've been to winery's and seen people's dogs. I've seen people bring their tiny dogs into Starbucks but I never knew if this was actually allowed or people were living on the edge of polite society.

[mod edit: changed title to correspond with thread]
    Post edited by sunyata at 2014-03-20 14:15:40
  • jennjenn
    Dogs are not allowed in Starbucks (or any restaurant really) but pubs and bars can get away with it sometimes, even if they serve food. Also, outdoor dining with your dog can be an option at many restaurants.

I would recommend searching "(your city name) dog friendly" and see what comes up. Hardware stores typically allow dogs, pet stores (though keep them off the ground until full vaccinated), festivals, etc. You can carry your puppy around in a sling until they are fully vaccinated if you don't want to carry in your arms.
    Jenn, Shiba Slave to Rigby / http://hellorigby.com
  • alisuunalisuun
    Usually cities have a few locally-owned restaurants/cafes that are dog friendly; and as Jenn stated, many allow dogs in outdoor dining areas.

I would be careful with pet stores even after he's vaccinated, because I have witnessed quite a few dog fights break out because someone brought in their aggressive dog. I don't really understand why you'd bring an aggressive dog into a small store with tons of other dogs, but people do it.
    photo sig2df.png
  • SayaSaya
    I've gone to starbuck you will need to have someone get your drink or have your dog in car get drink then get pup and hang on the seats or bench.

The local coffee shop where I live allow dogs who behave so Saya can come there. not all are like that.

Some lowes allow dogs ask before you go in with one it varies by area.

Restaurants with outdoor seating.

I went to noodles and company once had no issue mom ordered food and we ate in outdoor seating.

Tractor supply, cabela's, bass pro, allows dogs and I think royal kind might coarse those places varies by location some states don't have them.

I find this site useful they have dinning area by state.:)
    http://www.dogfriendly.com/
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Bass Pro Shops, REI, outdoor malls, most outdoor sporting good stores. Outdoor festivals. Farmer's markets. I dug deeper and searched for any setting where there would be an abundance of people but not necessarily dogs. It's a lot of work, but hopefully your city offers lots of outdoor events so you can bring your puppy. I also frequent my local GameStop and comic book store. I asked them if I could bring Kira and now they demand that she always accompany me on my visits.

Edit: As long as the company or establishment does not sell food, you have a shot. I used to be a puppy raiser for Guiding Eyes for the Blind and I learned a lot about possibilities of socialization from my experiences. Just ask. Explain that you want to socialize your puppy to different environments. As long as you are cordial and ask first, people are usually more than willing to allow your puppy to come inside.
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
    Post edited by Kira_Kira at 2014-01-09 20:50:11
  • Actually a lot of wine shops and wineries do allow dogs. You should just call and ask first. Bookstores, stationary stores, clothing boutiques. It never hurts to ask. A surprising number of places allow well behaved dogs.
  • JuniJuni
    We don't own a car so we knew Juni would have to get used to public transport and started practising second week. Took the tram one stop where there happen to be an exciting park with ducks in a lake etc. And then walked home.
  • tatonkatatonka
    Usually fine if it's not a restaurant. I tend to assume I can bring in Tatonka wherever he goes. It helps that he's practically invisible, and cute if he's spotted.

I think that if you start asking, people answering will just say 'no you can't' even if it's not the case.
    Monkey!
  • Thank you all! This has been really helpful. I've been making a mental list of all of the places I can take my puppy for socialization. With it being winter, I think the festivals are fairly limited but spring is right around the corner! :)
  • XabiXabi
    Don't rule out the importance of puppy kindergarten! That's a good place for puppy-on-puppy socialization and where they start to learn bite inhibition, sit/stay/down commands, etc.
    X & I signature smaller
  • SayaSaya
    Some farmer's market don't allow dogs so be sure to check before..

I still went to the market just had Saya on the sidewalk so she wasn't in it, but still got pets from passing people. Mom would get her items then once she got back I got Saya's food.

We'd sometime buy some food to eat and coffee and enjoy breakfast on bench.

the one in downtown don't allow dogs, but the one in west Lafayette area seems to allow dogs even encourage it they put pics of dogs on their FB page.. I think I might have to start going to that one instead of down town one.. I feel bad about not buying stuff from my favorite farmer, but ah well. I rather give my money to a farmer's market who is dog friendly.

I mean a aggressive dog, or dog who would mark all the stalls, or tries eat items should not be allowed at a market, but one who behaves, greets people fine and doesn't mess with items should be fine.. Ah well. Saya is great she ignores everyone at the market and only goes to people who call her.

I can't wait for spring then we can try the different market.

Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • @Flamingmyst- This thread is great- Thank you for asking the question!

@Saya- thanks for posting that website, too :)

I've been paranoid about taking Haku more places because of diseases and Parvo is airborne and all that. I also thought puppies had to have all their vaccines before being able to go to puppy kindergarten. Is that correct?
  • Oh and how exactly do you determine what a high traffic area is exactly? Maybe that's a weird question, but technically, anywhere that allows dogs could be considered dangerous, no?
  • @esilenna_6 I'd say check with the individual puppy kindergartens on what they require to attend. It varies from place to place, some require 1-2 DHPP shots before attending, some just an initial vet examination, and others just have age requirements. Also some that require a certain number of vaccines will want to review your vaccination records so check if you need to bring them.
  • Awesome, Thanks @kilahimm! :)
  • Ask your vet about the prevalence of parvo in your area. As they say, more dogs die of issues arising from undersocialization than parvo. That was the advice my vet gave us. Waiting to finish shots is honestly rather late to start puppy kindergarten.

I'm not 100% certain where you are getting the airborne idea from but it was my impression that you mostly will contract via ground contact.

Heavy traffic areas were places like dog parks or pet stores or the pet area at rest stops when you're traveling. The easy way to deal with it is to carry your pup for socialization in say pet stores. We checked with our vet and she thought that wiping paws with a baby wipe (we use the target baby sensitive or unscented) was a reasonable enough precaution to take but we also live in a low parvo incidence area.

• violet_in_seville- One of the staff at the vet's office I went to told me it was airborne. I originally thought it was from ground contact also, but then she told me that so I don't know.

Maybe I'll ask a second vet?

You do have a point about the undersocializing. I'll be more relaxed about carrying my pup to places, and I've already contacted a local place for puppy kindergarten. :)
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    "Parvo is spread through the feces and vomit of infected dogs and puppies. This virus can live in feces for about two weeks and can survive in the environment (areas on floors and cages) for many months. This survival rate allows it to be passed along by hands, clothing or shoes of anyone who comes in contact with it."

Always avoid high dog-traffic areas, especially the floors of these areas INCLUDING your vet's office. I carried Kira into the vet until 2 weeks following her last set of shots (18 weeks old). We took her anywhere that would allow her to come in, with the exception of popular dog areas. The big no-no's until vaccinations are complete are pet stores and dog parks. These places have no knowledge or control of the dogs that come or if they are even properly vaccinated. Sometimes pet stores host puppy playtime, I would just double check that they sterilize the play area and require vaccinations.

Most puppy kindergarten and puppy playtime classes require at least 2 sets of shots before you can enroll your puppy. So at least you know that the puppies that are interacting with your puppy are up-to-date on their shots as well.

Edit: The following link is a great socialization checklist for you and your puppy to complete by the age of 16 weeks

http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/5953/a-socialization-checklist-puppies-before-16-weeks
    imageimage

Post edited by Kira_Kira at 2014-01-12 15:22:50
  • @kira_kira- I took Haku to the vet in a carrier because I was so paranoid about Parvo. I've been wiping him with baby wipes, non scented and for sensitive skin, whenever coming home from a walk and carried him into a few places. My family thinks I'm a little crazy, but whatever. :P

I'm looking at puppy kindergarten places now, and will probably take him to one within the coming week, if all goes well.

Also, thank you SO much for all of your advice, it's been really great! :D
  • Talk to your vet about Parvo in your area. Call your local animal control and ask if they have seen any cases (they will know if the stray dogs are sick with it.) Some areas have a high incidence of Parvo (California has hot spots fairly often) and in other areas it may be less common. If you are in the middle of a Parvo outbreak you know to be on high alert. If Parvo is rare in your area then you don't need to be as paranoid, and can focus on socialization.
    Violet is right, more dogs die from undersocialization than die from Parvo.
  • jarvizjarviz
    tatonka said:

Usually fine if it's not a restaurant. I tend to assume I can bring in Tatonka wherever he goes. It helps that he's practically invisible, and cute if he's spotted.

I think that if you start asking, people answering will just say 'no you can't' even if it's not the case.

Are you saying to just walk in and not ask lol. I do that too sometimes, especially for quick pick-ups, like convenience stores and pharmacies.

• I have also found quite a few restaurants that have outdoor patios allow dogs, which is really nice for the spring.

I agree that if you ask people, they are likely to say no. I see people walking around my work with their dog (which isn't allowed) but no one tells them. I wouldn't do this because am always worried about breaking rules but that's just me.
    Post edited by Flamingmyst at 2015-03-14 13:05:33
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I always ask, personally. I think that it's considerate and they almost always say yes. But I think that it also depends on how you present yourself and how you ask.
    imageimage

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)