For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Places You Can Take Your Puppy
  • Post edited by sunyata at 2014-03-20 14:15:40
  • jennjenn
  • alisuunalisuun
  • SayaSaya
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Post edited by Kira_Kira at 2014-01-09 20:50:11
  • Actually a lot of wine shops and wineries do allow dogs. You should just call and ask first. Bookstores, stationary stores, clothing boutiques. It never hurts to ask. A surprising number of places allow well behaved dogs.
  • JuniJuni
    We don't own a car so we knew Juni would have to get used to public transport and started practising second week. Took the tram one stop where there happen to be an exciting park with ducks in a lake etc. And then walked home.
  • tatonkatatonka
  • Thank you all! This has been really helpful. I've been making a mental list of all of the places I can take my puppy for socialization. With it being winter, I think the festivals are fairly limited but spring is right around the corner! :)
  • XabiXabi
  • SayaSaya
  • @Flamingmyst- This thread is great- Thank you for asking the question!

@Saya- thanks for posting that website, too :)

I've been paranoid about taking Haku more places because of diseases and Parvo is airborne and all that. I also thought puppies had to have all their vaccines before being able to go to puppy kindergarten. Is that correct?
  • Oh and how exactly do you determine what a high traffic area is exactly? Maybe that's a weird question, but technically, anywhere that allows dogs could be considered dangerous, no?
  • @esilenna_6 I'd say check with the individual puppy kindergartens on what they require to attend. It varies from place to place, some require 1-2 DHPP shots before attending, some just an initial vet examination, and others just have age requirements. Also some that require a certain number of vaccines will want to review your vaccination records so check if you need to bring them.
  • Awesome, Thanks @kilahimm! :)
  • Ask your vet about the prevalence of parvo in your area. As they say, more dogs die of issues arising from undersocialization than parvo. That was the advice my vet gave us. Waiting to finish shots is honestly rather late to start puppy kindergarten.

I'm not 100% certain where you are getting the airborne idea from but it was my impression that you mostly will contract via ground contact.

Heavy traffic areas were places like dog parks or pet stores or the pet area at rest stops when you're traveling. The easy way to deal with it is to carry your pup for socialization in say pet stores. We checked with our vet and she thought that wiping paws with a baby wipe (we use the target baby sensitive or unscented) was a reasonable enough precaution to take but we also live in a low parvo incidence area.

• violet_in_seville- One of the staff at the vet's office I went to told me it was airborne. I originally thought it was from ground contact also, but then she told me that so I don't know.

Maybe I'll ask a second vet?

You do have a point about the undersocializing. I'll be more relaxed about carrying my pup to places, and I've already contacted a local place for puppy kindergarten. :)
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Post edited by Kira_Kira at 2014-01-12 15:22:50
  • @kira_kira- I took Haku to the vet in a carrier because I was so paranoid about Parvo. I've been wiping him with baby wipes, non scented and for sensitive skin, whenever coming home from a walk and carried him into a few places. My family thinks I'm a little crazy, but whatever. :P

I'm looking at puppy kindergarten places now, and will probably take him to one within the coming week, if all goes well.

Also, thank you SO much for all of your advice, it's been really great! :D
  • Talk to your vet about Parvo in your area. Call your local animal control and ask if they have seen any cases (they will know if the stray dogs are sick with it.) Some areas have a high incidence of Parvo (California has hot spots fairly often) and in other areas it may be less common. If you are in the middle of a Parvo outbreak you know to be on high alert. If Parvo is rare in your area then you don't need to be as paranoid, and can focus on socialization.
    Violet is right, more dogs die from undersocialization than die from Parvo.
  • jarvizjarviz
  • I have also found quite a few restaurants that have outdoor patios allow dogs, which is really nice for the spring.

I agree that if you ask people, they are likely to say no. I see people walking around my work with their dog (which isn't allowed) but no one tells them. I wouldn't do this because am always worried about breaking rules but that's just me.
    Post edited by Flamingmyst at 2015-03-14 13:05:33
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)