For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Wind Chill Factor for a Shiba
  • ddavidddavid
    Now that we have some severe weather in parts of the country, I'm wondering do you dress your Shiba for the cold ?
    Most dogs can't take a Minus -20 degrees below Zero or more below freezing, and counting the windchill that's has to be dangerous for most dogs. How will a Shiba take the freezing weather ?
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    We just plan on shorter outings with our 3 shibas. They generally are quick to do their "business" except for 1 who sometimes takes his time. If we know we are going to be home, we don't mind if no "business" is done, and we will watch them more carefully inside.
  • No I do not dress my Shiba. They have a perfect coat for insulation when it is fully in. The coat fluffs when they shake so it sort of helps to them baffle, human made clothing tends to smash all the protective insulation down.

The only time that I have added a coat is when fostering a dog with basically no hair due to illness or very old dogs.

Like brscrns, we keep the time short outside if there is high bitter wind chill.

Snf

• JuniJuni
    Juni loves the winter, but so far unfortunately we haven't had any snow in my part of Sweden this season. She is fine as long as she is not standing still no matter what temperature it is.
  • SayaSaya
    I don't use coat for Saya except when she was pup and year old, but luckily it didn't get too cold during that time. I keep walks shorter than usual and if it is too bad we stay in and play puzzle games and train some. I got jump agility inside to play with..

right now it is 32F Saya finds that temp fine.. at night will get 10- plus wind, but we don't walk much at night unless conditions are fine. Only potty breaks.

If it is like 30-F or 50-F keep outings short and if coat is needed you can, but shiba inu coat is pretty hardy. Boots for dogs or mushers secret might be needed if in town due to salt stuff. Luckily in country our fields are never salted so plenty of places to romp.

If you feel coat is needed then get one. I know one shiba owner had use it when she was in Alaska. Some dogs don't have good undercoat so depends on the dog.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • The high tomorrow for us is going to be -11 and it's supposed to be about -15 tonight (not including wind chill). Zim has a little polar fleece jacket that my mother in law got him for Christmas that we will be using.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    This is good to know. The wind chill this coming Tuesday in Virginia is forecasted to be - 9 degrees.

The cold doesn't seem to bother Kira, I think she'll be fine. The only time I noticed her shivering was when he was younger and her undercoat hadn't fully grown in.
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • SayaSaya
    First day of chilly weather currently -13F below.. with -40F below wind chill!! Very chilly.

I shoveled the driveway, back deck and then got Saya suited her up with her bandana, bells and shoveled the back porch. then headed to front to feed birds, and take some pics of the pretty trees.

Yesterday was decent it was 32F we took walk in the field and woods took our time exploring and stopping every so often to rest some.. Mostly because Saya found a spot to dig or look for rodents she didn't find any rabbits or mice. it was a lot of exercise for us.

We got inside and only went out to potty. Saya hanged on the back deck which is has a gate at the stairs so she couldn't get out. She hanged and looked for coons at the woods, but didn't find anything. She eventually came to the door and pawed to be let in.. It was snowing at that time. I got snow off of her her top coat was wet from it melting some on her, but feeling the undercoat it was dry and warm..

Saya covered with snow.
    photo DSC_0723_zps0bd568fc.jpg

Saya decided snow was too deep to go potty in so she did it where the hostas is. She tried to go out again, but went back to do #2..
    photo DSC_0749_zps9c36bf49.jpg

She explored the area by the house since it had lowest snow and went into the grass hoping to find rabbit or mouse while I was shoveling.
    photo DSC_0785_zps0ede0e75.jpg

Saya's mountain! This is from shoveling Yesterday I had to shovel three times.. This morning I shoveled one more time. had to bundle up really good three layers of clothes two socks, two gloves, neck warmer, two hoodies.. I love my northface jacket felt warm despite it being -11F below! Luckily the snow wasn't too bad so only took little bit.
    photo DSC_0804_zps6dbbfa7c.jpg

Saya hanged with me while I got lovely pics of the trees.
    photo DSC_0829_zpscdc7bb82.jpg
    Saya followed me on the road while I got some good pics.
    imagesrc="http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t679/sayashiba/DSC_0851_zpsb98ebff7.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo DSC_0851_zpsb98ebff7.jpg"/>

photo DSC_0874_zps201f8ed6.jpg
    Once I was done I said go home and she headed to the door and waited for me to get there. Look how tired she is. So cute!
    photo DSC_0908_zpsb7ce1b06.jpg

Depends where you are, but if it is below zero outside time should be for potty breaks, and short outings if needed depends if dog is picky how it potties.

Hanging with me when taking pics and light shoveling was enough exercise for her.

Be sure to put protection for feet if there is salt like booties, musher secret or something like that. I don't use salt I use pet safe kind and try to shovel it best I can. My walking area is never salted and road only salted if it is really bad, but it is just plowed.

If you feel jacket is needed use one. Some shiba don't have good coat or not done getting the winter coat it.

Saya's very built for the winter I find snow doesn't mess her paws up compared to Bella our boxer and her coat is water resistant..

Not all dogs are same. Be sure you got food stocked, water for you and your dog in case of power outage. Luckily being so cold I can toss Saya's meat in a cooler and keep outside if power goes out plus I got dehydrated and canned fish in case for dog food.

Also be sure dog have plenty of water.
    Photobucket
    Post edited by Saya at 2014-01-06 12:03:15
  • lucylulucylu
    I went on a walk this morning before work. It is -17 with -45 windchill. I was out for about 15 minutes and I seriously started getting frostbite. I've never felt such a burning sensation on my skin before. As far as the dog? She had no problem. Ran and jumped in the snow, wanted to go back out when we came inside. So if say worry about yourselves more than the dog. Seems they are built for this weather.
  • jennjenn
    I'm jealous of those snow pictures @saya! Rigby loved the tiny amount of snow we got a few weeks ago. I think the coldest its been here this winter is in the 20s, which doesn't bother him at all.

When I lived in Eastern WA my roommates Kelpie mix did fine when it was below 0 so long as she wasn't outside for more than 10-15 minutes. When we took her out, we picked up the pace and shortened her walks, but took her out more frequently.
    Jenn, Shiba Slave to Rigby / http://hellorigby.com
  • dogs can tolerate pretty cold weather if they are acclimatized to it. I grew up in alaska, and sled dogs are out all the time (though they have dog houses), including temps of -50, -60, etc.

Now I live in NM, where the coldest it ever gets is just a bit below zero (coldest I've seen was about -5). My dogs are fine. The Akita likes it, the colder the better, and he will stay outside (but believe me, is inside all summer! He hates the heat!). My Shiba has the thickest fur of any dog in the house and can tolerate cold quite well, but he is fussy and prefers to be inside on his comfortable chair.

As long they are not left outside all the time--which they shouldn't be anyway, obviously!--most Nihon Ken with a normal coat can tolerate quite cold temperatures.
  • SayaSaya
    Today is really cold -13F below with -30F below windchill. D: This morning I got Saya out to potty she again attempted to walk to the burn pile to poop, but snow is bit deep and cold so she went back and did her business where the hostas are. She has the left area of dirt and low snow to do it on too. I set the bird's plate of peanutbutter, crackers and seeds outside and we headed in.

I took Bella to go potty out front I dig a path so it is easier for the dogs to pee and poop.

Saya came out with me, but she just hanged in driveway while Bella did her business then we headed inside to hang.

Tomorrow supposed to be 21F and low of 14F so an improvement. Day after that will be in 30F We'll take our walk in Wednesday when it gets in 30F.

Dogs don't seem to mind and are good with their short run to potty and inside. Saya gets longer time out as she has warmer coat. I let her hang and go to the left area to look for animals, but she usually comes empty handed.

She isn't fond of walking in the high snow as it is bit thick and high onto her chest. Saya is petite girl.

I'm bit under weather, but getting better so I prefer to stick inside till it gets into 30F. If I layer up I can stay outside to get stuff done, but luckily I did all yard work that was needed before the big freeze.

Feet is biggest thing ice ball forming on paws, or salt can be big issue also ice dog can hurt itself running and slipping.
    Photobucket
  • TrishTrish
    Luckily, Oliver LOVES the cold weather. -30 to -40C windchills are very common here in Edmonton and it does not phase Oliver at all. I worry about his paws freezing but there is no way he'll let me put booties on him.

Here's a pic of Oliverr enjoying -22C (-31C with the windchill) weather... He's definitely Canadian!

• ArcticArctic
    It got down to -15 with the wind chill here in New Jersey, and Sansa had no issue. She acted like she didn't even notice. She didn't linger in the front yard when walking back into the house, though. Right up to the door she went! Usually I have to pull on the leash a bit because she likes to sniff all the steps and the surrounding grass. Not this time!

Also, I have become so good at bundling up that the extra cold didn't really bother me that much. People must think I'm nuts, but Sansa must be walked multiple times a day! No exceptions!
  • ekaseyekasey
    Shinobi didn't seem to mind playing in the snow in the dog park in beech mountain NC

She did seem a bit timid of the snow at first....but she warmed up

it was 1degF we were out in the cold for about 45 minutes.

She has icicles on her whiskers and on her belly!

• BootzBootz
    I want snow :(
  • jennjenn
    omg! the icicles, so cute! So jealous of everyone with snow. :(
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    The snow is always whiter on the other side.

It's fun romping with the dogs in the snow. They dive in head first and hop through the drifts. They have a great time.

The down side. Digging your car out knowing all the work you have done clearing the spot will be for someone else to park in just after you pull out.

Slipping and sliding on ice. Your fingers, feet and face go numb. If the snow is deep it fills into your boots. People clearing the shelves in supermarkets and your lucky if you can find a quart of milk.

I can go on but I made my point. Snow, it's a nice place to visit but I can't wait to not have to deal with it anymore.

And probably the worst thing for me is that my coworkers call in sick and I end up doing double shifts.
    犬竜
    Post edited by INU RYUU at 2014-01-09 19:13:36
  • zandramezandrame
    Lol, it's so much fun to romp in the snow with your shiba! :) But you gotta dress for it, head to toe. Hats, gloves, boots, scarf, jacket, pants.

We took a road trip over Christmas specifically to play in the snow with Kouda (shhh, don't tell the family they were secondary!). We brought our skiing gear and were able to play for hours. The best are the snowboard pants, they pull over jeans or pajamas (yep), and have internal snow gaiters in the legs that fit over boots. Watertight. We brought goggles and masks too, but didn't need to use them.

The locals may have smirked when they saw our getup, but they were the ones shivering! We loved it, and were sad when we had to go back home.

Kouda loved the snow too! ;)

• Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    All these pics of Shibas in snow are making me jealous. There has STILL not been ANY snow for Kira to play with here in Richmond, Virginia!!!!! :(
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • LuvourSiLuvourSi
    img src="Si in the snow photo image_zps328777aa.jpg" />
    This is my Si boy holding an icicle. He absolutely loved the little bit of snow we got. He does well with cold temps until it got around -5, then he seems cold so we didn't stay out long only short potty breaks and he was ready to come back in.
  • JuniJuni
    Juni is always shivering sitting in the bicycle basket when it is cold outside, no matter how I wrap her up...

But now I think I've come up with the ultimate solution:
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    @Juni lol, a Shiba in sheeps clothing.

犬竜
  • SayaSaya
    Cute! Love the hat and basket is cute. :)
    Photobucket
  • BootzBootz
    @Zandrame where did you guys go with that much snow?!?!

Kouda's coat color really stands out in the snow. :) looking handsome
  • JuniJuni
    We do get quite a few smiles from fellow bicyclists :)
    She loves sitting in the basket but I never expected her to keep the hat on. But she seemed to like it so it must have kept her warm and snug.
  • SayaSaya
    @Bootz
    Here's nice pic showing how the snow brightens Saya's tan on her legs. :) I love her winter butt fluff.. Come spring when she blows it she'll have less fluffy butt.

photo c_zps9f4fbd3c.jpg
    Photobucket
  • BootzBootz
    @Saya lol she's like "Why you taking a picture of my butt?!?!"
  • zandramezandrame
    @Bootz, we rented a car from @kumadude, and drove east! Most of the snow was in Kansas and Colorado.

Lol, the butt fluff! :D Kouda's got it now too since the trip.

He's got serious cheek definition
  • jennjenn
    tee hee love fluffy shiba butts!

also reminds me of this (...if only it was a shiba puppy ;):

:P
  • zandramezandrame
    Haha, @jenn! We totally need a butt thread :P
  • tatonkatatonka
    Since we're at it. Oh and he's never seen snow.
    Monkey!
  • Kana has never seemed bothered by the cold weather. When she's had enough, she lets us know and comes right in. Bachi really got her first taste of cold with the single digit temps we had earlier this week. She seems to be a lot like Kana, enjoying the cold and the snow and the ice. And, like Kana, she is good about letting us know when she's had enough.
  • glitchglitch
    Another Canadian here.. Kazu LOVES snow. I think he likes winter better than summer. His paws get really cold at around -20 C and he just plops his whole body down and lays there and whines because his paws get too cold. We put booties on him, he actually doesn't mind them. He has some allergies and has some missing spots of fur so we have occasionally put a little coat on when it's super cold outside, overall we just use the booties for cold weather.
  • AWE46M3AWE46M3
    zandrame said:

He's got serious cheek definition

He must do a lot of squats!

All the Shibas in the snow pics are great! My dog has never seen snow so I'm not even sure how he would react to it! haha

• devonmlewisdevonmlewis
    @zandrame i am reading through these at work and i CANNOT stop laughing at the cheek definition comment! haha.

@shibamistress were you in FBX?? I lived there for a few years. Let me tell you, it was NOT fun walking our previous puppy in -50!!! We're in Juneau now (where I'm from) and it's like a hot box in comparison.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)