For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Gah! A tick!
  • hondruhondru
    I was petting Rakka and felt what I thought was a clump of fur on her neck, then I thought it was a wad of puddy, then... eeewwww! A big engorged tick the size of a jelly bean! I sprayed it with tick killer and it fell off about two hours later. Head and mouth intact, thank goodness.

Yuck.

So I guess this is a wake-up call for me. Ticks aren't terribly common and my vet had told me not to worry about preventative measures, but that was when I lived in the city. I can't believe I didn't think of it after moving out to the country. One tick in almost a year of daily outdoor romps through the tall grass isn't so bad, though, I guess.

Still... I did a little research and it turns out that we get rocky mountain ticks in this area, although there are no known cases of lyme disease in Alberta (yay!). Tick season is from May to August. I guess it's time to start buying preventative treatments.

So what does everyone else use? I don't think I even know anyone around here who uses it, or at least no one's ever mentioned it, including my vet. They sell stuff for it at wal-mart. Collars and little squeeze-packs you put on their neck or something. Do those actually work or what? Or should I just remove them with the tick-killer spray as they get them? Should I start worrying about fleas? I've never known anyone who had a dog that got fleas, although I have heard of one cat and one person having fleas.

Perhaps this is what I get for letting my lawn look like this (in my defense, it's only looked like that for a week. It was flat and sparse as can be and then it rained and, well, plant life is opportunistic):

Photobucket
    -Heidi, with Rakka (shikoku) and Sosuke (kai ken)
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    I use frontline plus and I haven't seen a tick - or a flea - our tick season is April to September and I use it from March to November just to be safe (whenever the ground isn't frozen). They also have not had any hair loss on application site or other issues/side effects so I continue using it!
  • ddowdemersddowdemers
    Your lawn is gorgeous.
    I, also, use Frontline Plus. Go on-line for the best prices.
    I take Tenji to the county park on a daily basis and have not found a tick on him.
    Frontline Plus is used once a month and it is so easy to apply.
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    Same thing around here, ticks are not supposed to be an issue... but we use prevention anyway. We use Advantix.

I'm glad you got that thing off her! GROSS!!!

----
  • okironokiron
    I would recommend not using the things sold at Walmart. This family uses Revolution.
  • JessicaRabbitJessicaRabbit
    We are a Frontline family too. To be clear none of these fully prevent ticks (they prevent fleas) and KILL ticks. Meaning with 48 hours of a tick attaching itself the Frontline will kill the tick.
  • RomiRomi
    I use K9 Advantix - It kills fleas and ticks and it also repels ticks. I dont' think Frontline or Advantage repels, just kills.
  • sujewelsujewel
    We use frontline too.
  • LeonbergerLeonberger
    Frontline Combo here, on both of them. Advantix is poisonous for cats.
    Thinking of getting a Scalibor collar to prevent the Leishmanose mosquito.
  • hondruhondru
    Thanks for the recommendations, all. Didn't know that about Advantix... is it harmful to cats in the house just being on the dogs? I guess it would probably be in our case because Tojo and Ridley like to get all snuggly.
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    I use sentinel
    LJ - owned by Queen Jazz, a Shiba Inu, Atlanta, GA
    CSC_0144
  • LeonbergerLeonberger
    If I remember it correctly, it's poisonous if it rubs off on them. My vet said that after it dries it should be safe, but none of us wanted to risk it.
  • baantonbaanton
    Frontline Plus is a staple for dogs in MN. There are so many ticks in MN, not just in the country but I think even in the city parks and any other places where they can get into longer grass. We have to use it from April to October. Fronlline is to be applied 48 hours before they could be exposed to the ticks. The ticks are immobilized as soon as they try to bit the dog, so I think if its on them they will not be too likely to be exposed to the tick bites. It only lasts a month and has to be re-applied. Maybe a bit sooner if they have been shampooed, or in the lake several times.

Our Josephine already had Lymes disease (had 35-40 ticks on her when we found her). Our previous dog had Lymes disease too. There is now a Lymes vaccine, but I think using the Frontline is also a good idea. Not sure the vaccine is entirely effective from what I've heard.
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    I'm kind of shocked that ticks aren't more abundant out west. From the pictures of your morning walk, all that tall grass looks like a tick paradise.
  • zoiegirlzoiegirl
    Harley gets revolution its a mix of heartguard and tick and flea stuff for the summer months only
  • hondruhondru
    I'm kind of surprised there aren't more ticks around here, too, but it might be because there aren't actually very many trees around here and the grass isn't always that tall. In fact, we had hardly any grass until just two weeks ago or so and it's just been pouring and pouring the grass is growing at an alarming rate. I mean, it's noticably longer just from one day to the next and it's always wet so I don't know when I'm supposed to mow it. So, yeah, it's usually more sparse than that, but the second there's any moisture all the plant life explodes. I guess it's adapted to be opportunistic in this dry region.

Of course, Alberta seems to not have a lot of things that I don't really understand. Apparently there's no heartworm around here and somehow Alberta is completely rat-free, even though the provinces on either side have rats. Also, like I said before, no lyme disease, and it's the same deal, the provinces on either side have lyme disease. I saw something on the news, too, about there being some kind of tree-eating beetle that lives in BC but can't cross into Alberta for some reason. I don't know what's keeping the rats, ticks, and beetles at bay. Maybe the oil tycoons up north paid them off.
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    Why did I think you lived in Montana?
  • okironokiron
    Lol Brandon I think you did the same thing before.
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    Does someone live in Montana? Anyone?
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    In the post, if you could live anywhere, I stated Montana or Ireland.
    LJ - owned by Queen Jazz, a Shiba Inu, Atlanta, GA
    CSC_0144
  • hondruhondru
    Well, I do live really close to Montana. I'm even getting a Montana post office box next week.
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    Well maybe that's it.
  • robes325robes325
    I just found a tick yesterday on my pup Blaine. We took him hiking and i guess a tick got embedded in his coat. in the middle of the night he started howling because he wanted to sleep in my bed so i let him out of his cage and pet him a bit. It was dark but i felt a bug jumping around my skin and onto my face. I eventually swashed it and realized it was a tick. It freaked me out and i searched the rest of his coat but couldnt find anything.
    Whats strange is that the tick definitely didnt bite onto Blaine at all or me. When i squashed it it was fairly flat and i didnt really see blood. Do you guys think the tick just couldnt get to his skin because it was so thick? It had been over 8 hours since we went hiking. im glad blaine is okay though.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium
    Are you sure it was a tick? I've never seen one jump around like crazy, and they're fairly difficult to squash if they haven't adhered anywhere yet (they're very hard).
  • emmyemmy
    That doesn't sound like a tick to me, either. I think maybe it was another type of bug.
  • Serkle kSerkle k
    a jumping bug, that's flat... sounds like a flea from the desciption.
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    Yeah, ticks are pretty....slow moving. In fact, I've never seen one move, though I guess they have to :)

Like Brad, I also live in NM. I don't, however, use a tick preventative. In the 9 years I've lived here, I've seen two ticks, both the same time, the first summer I lived here. I've never seen any again. My vet said she doesn't feel they are a big enough problem here to justify the preventative and I agree. Now if I lived down in the valley, or took the dogs down there, I probably would use one, as they are more common down in Albuquerque, esp. in the river valley.

Ticks are pretty disgusting though!
  • emmyemmy
    Ticks move fairly slow compared to some other bugs. We have tons of them here so I actually think it's kind of funny to read how freaked out people get when they find them on their dogs. I have had tons of ticks (mostly as a child since I don't run around in high grass or anything now...) and they are kind of creepy but not THAT bad. We used rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol to get them to let go and then carefully pulled them out (you don't want to leave the head in).

Fleas are hard bugs that jump around, but there are other bugs that "jump" too. Some bugs that have those spring things and pop around are hard. Without seeing it it would be hard to know for sure. I have had good luck with Frontline. I wrote a post a while back freaking out about fleas, but the Frontline actually worked and I only saw about 6 or 7 fleas and they all eventually died.
  • shibahiroshibahiro
    what happens when a head is stuck???
  • inubakainubaka
    @shibahiro - a scab will form over the head and in a few weeks it falls off naturally. I find if you bother with it, you chance infection at the bite site.
    volunteers4paws.wordpress.com
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Coincidentally (or maybe not, since I guess we're entering the appropriate season), I just found a tick on Bowpi the other day. It was my first tick, so I was a little freaked out!

Since everyone emphasizes removing the whole thing, including the head, it was news to me that it's not a big issue if the head or mouth pieces remains stuck. As the skin heals, the pieces will naturally get ejected and fall out on their own. Or, you can treat the remaining pieces as fine splinters and try to tweeze them out with sterilized tools. If the tick was carrying any diseases, the dog would already have been exposed to them whether or not the head piece remains in the skin. The nasty bacteria and other diseases come from the tick's body, which is why you want to be careful not to squash or explode the tick if you do find one... that's just going to make the tick spit its junk load or get the disease juice all over yourself and the dog. Ew.

The other thing to watch out for is an infection at the bite wound.

http://www.lymedisease.org/lyme101/prevention/tick_removal.html

As for prevention, we used to use Frontline/Advantix, but we don't use topical treatments anymore. Both dogs are on Comfortis, which is an oral flea medication -- doesn't do anything for ticks. I don't know of a complementary oral tick repellant...

Would it be okay not to give them anything for ticks and just observe closely? Or is it really worthwhile to keep them vaccinated for Lyme and give them a topical tick treatment, since we do a lot of outdoor and woodsy walking?
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • The only time I ever found a tick on one of my dogs, it was Bear, and late November, so I didn't expect it (especially since all he did was pee on some hedges in Princeton). I totally freaked out since it was the first time I had seen a tick, and I had just returned home and it was pretty late. I didn't use most of the normal methods of removing a tick (loosening with alcohol or matches) but I did discover that the classic Tweezerman tweezers are remarkably good at removing a tick, even if you have never done it before. So now my travel tweezers are the emergency tick removal tweezers.
  • Serkle kSerkle k
    There was a post a while back, on how to remove a tick with out tools or matches or anything... I can't find it at the moment...

It had a video on youtube as well... basically if the tick is embedded and still in tact and alive, gently roll the body of the tick in a circular motion and the tick will eventually remove itself. I actually had to do this once last year on Stella late in the summer/early fall. Due to the unfortunate nature of my area having high amounts of mosquito and ticks, i have to use preventatives.
  • SayaSaya
    I use preventives too Being in the country I have to luckily the ticks are not in my backyard just the fields and garden. Saw two ticks on top of the compost they just sat there and moved when I got close. I think they move pretty quickly..

I had one attached to me once not fun. >.<<br />
    I use advantix and do checks after walks and before bed. I've been woken up in middle of the night with a big tick on my neck. Not big as in full of blood just big.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • Shiba-TrioShiba-Trio
    Here in Germany, we have a real tick invasion this year. We don't use Frontline since some years as ticks in our area have really become resistant against it.
    So, we are using Advantix or Exspot now with very good results. Last year, we had only one tick and until now, we have also had one tick during this season thougt many other dog owners using Frontline told us they had 20 or even 50 ticks on their dogs. Tick prevention is very important here as some ticks even carry pathogens for babesiosis, maybe even the ticks in our backyard at home...
  • SayaSaya
    Yeah I've read ticks/flea becoming resistant to stuff like that. Saya has done fine with advantix and she'll get ticks usually just one sometimes none most times it's still crawling around or just sitting there in her fur.

I do so many tick checks after walks she's used to the handling by me. lol

I stay on the trails never going in high grass or in the forest except for winter when there's lots of snow.

9 confirmed Lyme diseases have been reported at the vet I go to in Lafayette IN..
    Photobucket
  • KitaKita
    We've discovered ticks since moving here... eew.

We were using revolution in Japan but apparently that doesn't repel / kill ticks? Anyway, it didn't work here and the cat had a massive couple & Kita had one on her belly. They don't seem to be able to get through her fur elsewhere.

Hubby found some tick collars in a store and both pets have these on, plus a vet we tried out gave us some stuff, but unfortunately I don't know what it is. I was too jet-lagged to concentrate. The collars worked and the drops give me peace of mind. No ticks since. I'd better do my homework now, hearing Shiba-Trio's comments.
  • LosechLosech
    My Mom's dogs got ticks a couple years ago when we first moved to the Northwest. I was severely grossed out by it. They haven't gotten ticks since Mom moved to the new house and out of the rental. The rental has a creek-thing in the backyard, this one doesn't. So I'm guessing ticks can be more readily found around water?
    The rental house is almost within sight of this one, so we aren't far away at all.
  • robes325robes325
    This was the tick i found. Ive seen ticks before (pried one out of my friends leg) and im 100% sure its a tick. It was really hard to squash. I had to use a metal spoon to crush it.
  • LosechLosech
    AAAAAH GINORMOUS TICK PICTURE!

Looks like a tick to me, and that automatically makes it gross.
  • camodudecamodude
    I have never seen a tick before and being a new dog owner I know that it is important to check my dog after walking and going hiking. My question is how big are ticks? Are they pretty easy to spot when check the dog or do you really need to search through their fur to see them?

Also this summer I am going on vacation and our shiba will be staying at a kennel for 2 nights. The kennel people take the dogs for walks a couple times a day, but from the pictures on their web page it looks like there are in a field type area. When dropping of my dog at the kennel would it be weird for me to ask/insist that they check my dog for fleas and ticks after each walk? Thanks for any help!
  • Serkle kSerkle k
    camodude - I would suggest trying to google types of ticks, and more specifically, types of ticks in your area. Ticks can be very very small to rather big, depending on life stage, and type of tick. Some are easier to see while some aren't. I would also talk to your vet about the type or ticks in your area and if there is cause for concern with Lymes and other diseases. As for the kennel, I personally dont think there there is anything wrong with asking, it's your dog that is going to be staying there. They may also require that your shiba have some type of preventative as well. It never hurts to ask.

And that picture definitely looks like a tick!!
  • Shiba-TrioShiba-Trio
    @ Kita - sorry, I've just read your comment: I see you are in Berlin now? I recently read an article in a vet-magazine where they reported about a tick-invasion in Berlin, too.
    It also seems as if those ticks who carry pathogens for babesiosis are also living there now (some years ago, they only lived in the very north of Germany and in France - then they crossed the border and came to Saarland and Rhinland-Pfalz, my real home, where my 3 Shibas live. But Advantix and Exspot are said to be very good against this kind of ticks as they make ticks avoid dogs treated with it. If you would like, I could try to translate the article and mail it to you? (But that will not work until at least Monday because I'm going home this weekend to spend some time with the Shibis and my parents)
  • AnnaAnna
    OMG I found an enormous tick on Hammond this evening. I was so disgusted/horrified that I almost threw up on him. I was like "huh, that's odd, what is this weird, dark pine nut looking thing in his ear? Is he having a reaction to something?" but it wasn't a pine nut or a simple reaction. ;_;

I got it off by dousing it with soapy water and rolling it around (SO GROSS I TOUCHED IT BARFFFFF!). It was wedged in that little fold/flap near the bottom corner of his ear. My first attempts to inspect only resulted in him getting really upset, my getting angry, and my hands getting bitten up real bad (no punctures, but I do still have red marks). So I put him in his crate and thought "I'll deal with this in the morning". But then I got a bad feeling, so after Googling and realizing it was a tick I read some suggestions here, wrapped him up tight in a towel, sat indian-style on the floor and wedged him in between my legs. He still didn't like it, but he was much calmer and I was able to get it out.

THEN I SET THAT DISGUSTING ABOMINATION OF NATURE ON FIRE!

I had called a friend in a panic for help, but she was away from her phone. She called me back after the situation was resolved (lol) and was able to talk me down from just setting the house on fire and starting over somewhere new where there are no ticks. Like maybe Antarctica. And had to console me that my house probably is not infested with them, he just picked it up outside, haha.

I'm still all queasy and shakey and grossed out, though.

So for anyone who hasn't yet experienced a tick: Soapy water, towel, a shower, wine. Those are the things you'll need to deal with it (the first two for the tick/dog, the second two for you afterwards)

Here's a picture of the horrible thing (just looking at it gives me the shivers and an urge to vomit, but I'll put it here for reference for other people):

My only consolation is that it appears to be just a dog tick, not a deer tick.
  • LosechLosech
    lol set it on fire. I'd do the same thing if I found one on Conker.
  • SayaSaya
    Yuck! I have ticks in my field.. :( Reason why I love winter after some snow or good frosts the ticks usually stop appearing.. I do tick checks after each walks and before going to bed.

The tiny little ones are hard to find, but it can be done. I had a big on on my neck once not a big one as engorged just big as in in size. It must just latched on. I be sure to where my old exercise pants tuck it into my socks and spray off on the socks and lower part of the pants and stay away from high grass I seen ticks sitting on high tall grass..

They love places with lots leaf litter.

There's not much ticks in my backyard probably thanks to the birds that walk in the backyard in the morning eating stuff..
    Photobucket
  • AnnaAnna
    I thought he'd be okay because we're out of "tick season". It's been getting colder and I live in an urban area. The only grass he plays in is that strip of grass between the sidewalk and street (and my friend's backyard - which is in a residential/urban area).

Apparently I was wrong, though. :(
  • Ticks are only "dormant" if there is a layer of snow on the ground. They can come out in the cold, I've seen them on dogs/cats in the early winter before the snow is on the ground.

This flea season has been HORRENDOUS in MA. Tons of people come into the vets office at night saying they have NEVER had fleas before until this year.

We use Frontline Plus or K9 Advantix (whatever I get a discount on that month.) I try and only use the Frontline because like people said, if the Advantix gets on the cat it can be toxic. Luckily the cat doesn't groom, rub or really deal with the dogs that much.

I treat my pets from the minute the snow melts until the minute the snow cover is back.
  • So I know that no one on this post needs more reason to be grossed out by ticks, but i have to share.

I remember when i was little, i was told the reason you wanted to be sure to get the head was because it would burrow into your skin and keep going, getting into your bloodstream and killing you. Thank you older siblings.

I cant say i'm too grossed out by them, they're just too common up here (MN) , but even being used to doing tick checks in the summer before bedtime, i admit, they are creepy.

On the other hand, burning ticks or using salt water on them is viciously satisfying...
  • AnnaAnna
    @kfontaine04 I'll probably be going with the Frontline, because of the cat. Plus the cat's vet suggested putting her on it as well, even though she doesn't go inside, just to ensure nothing comes in on the pup and then infests her. Luckily no fleas thus far. We just got our first frost today, so I expect we'll get snow soon.

@kaysejean I spent most of my childhood summers camping or at my grandparents' lake house, so I heard that a lot as well, but from adults. To my knowledge I never got a tick on me, despite running around in woods/grass barefoot or in just a bathing suit.

My friend was like "well at least it wasn't fleas" and I was all "omg I wish it was fleas! Fleas I'm familiar with and can handle and they're not nearly so disgusting as this monster tick!". Our cats had massive flea problems when I was growing up, so I've been completely desensitized.
  • SayaSaya
    Yeah once snow is on the ground I'm happy means I can hike in the woods without worrying about ticks.
    Photobucket

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)