For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Shibas blamed for infant death in my town. (update!)
  • http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/12/10/columbus-lake-shore-infant-death-investigation.html

This is in my city and the two shibas are in the shelter now.

The written article makes it sound like the dogs are to blame, while the video gives the disclaimer they may have mistaken the baby for a toy.

I feel sad about the whole situation. I did e-mail the Tri-State Shiba Inu rescue a bit ago to see if they may be able to look into the shiba situation.
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2014-11-04 13:52:02
  • koyukikoyuki
    Oh god thats horrible.
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Kenji- black and tan male
    Suma- sesame female
    Haruki-brindle Japanese Akita Inu
  • dang
    Fred and Jodie...Madison WI

**Mika....The Shiba Inu**

**Zoey....The Schipperke**
  • natashanatasha
    This is awful! I don't understand how a baby falls off the couch and the father is completely unaware though.
  • BootzBootz
    Ok seriously....people that write articles like that need to shove it up their..... Always making innocent people get bad rep.

At least the news people in the video try to give you the whole picture and not just blame the dogs.

Bottom line is...the person to blame is the dumb ass who fell asleep. Who falls asleep while taking care of a baby? ESPECIALLY when the baby is on the couch instead of a damn crib. You would think the dad be extra careful since the baby just came out of ICU.... Sigh. Just really sad to have to go through all that pain and suffering, bring the baby home, just to have an incident like this happen.

I'm so sorry for the mom's loss :( And really hope nothing bad happens to those Shibas.
  • Oh wow, that is so sad for the child, the parents, and the dogs.
  • jennjenn
    Aw, those poor dogs look so scared on the way out :(

Honestly, I find this story so bizarre. Wouldn't the baby cry if it fell off the couch? And if the dog did bite the baby, wouldn't there be cries/screams/noises from the dogs? Seems like something is missing here...
    Jenn, Shiba Slave to Rigby / http://hellorigby.com
  • amtiamti
    Wow... what a strange case. I do feel bad for everyone involved, especially those dogs. At least the news reporter lays down the facts and shows that the dogs may not be as guilty as the writer thinks they are. That is one poorly written article. I thought the baby was mauled or something and not just "external injuries."
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    This is in bad taste but I can't help it:

"Help! A dingo ate my baby!"
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Very well said @Bootz!!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • My immediate reaction: dad wasn't napping, dad was passed out drunk or on drugs.
  • SayaSaya
    Glad the video didn't paint them as vicious beasts.

Still sad for the baby and parent I'm so tired of this happening each time it is always the baby unattended or alone. :(
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • That is really tragic... but I am actually relieved to hear reporters and the police speculate about blame going right to the parents, even though the headline says the dogs were "responsible." Poor Shibas looked so nervous and confused.

Thank you for e-mailing Shiba rescue as well.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • AtenAten
    Horrible.
    First of all, I agree with Jen. There would be sounds to awaken the father.
    I also would like to know about the 'external injuries' caused. If it's not bites, or a mauling, then I wouldn't blame the dogs right away.

Also, the parents weren't being very responsible leaving a baby on the couch in the first place, and especially unsupervised.

I haven't watched the video, but at least it doesn't sound as bad as I think.
    Post edited by Aten at 2013-12-10 23:09:15
  • @jessefritschzy,

Please update us as you have news. I feel so sorry for all parties involved. I too find it strange and wonder how a baby can "fall from a couch while the father fell asleep during the night." Where was mom? The reporter said mom awoke to the sound of the dogs scratching on her door and she found her baby unresponsive.... That poor little baby.

Definitely something missing. But even if they charge someone with neglect or a crime, what are the chances that the dogs will not be euthanized. :( Poor little pups...
  • It's a horrible story, overall. And I would understand that the parents would not want the dogs, anymore, because, well, how could you handle that? But the dogs should not be killed. They'd be hard pressed to go into rescue, though, because what rescue can afford to take on dogs like these that were involved in a baby's death, and who would want them?

I mean, I'd take them, if my circumstances were different (closer, didn't have so many other dogs already), but unless someone comes forward and wants them, I don't think it will end well for these dogs, who probably have done nothing more than make a mistake which was ultimately human failure. :(
  • The rescue e-mailed me back. They are saddened by the situation but said they're hands are tied. if the dogs bit the baby they cannot rehome the Shibas. However, they also stated the have a good working relationship with the Franklin County dog shelter (where the are at) and would most likely receive a call from them if the shelter believes they can be rehabilitated.

I find it odd the baby didn't cry when it fell to the floor. Maybe like someone stated before, the dad was too drunk to wake. Or maybe the baby would've cried if the dogs were touching it while the baby was still alive. During college I worked at a daycare in the infant room, and I never met a baby that didn't cry when in distress.

The dogs probably felt something was wrong and tried to wake the mom by scratching on the door.

I suppose the autopsy will give the results. I'll update you all when I find out.
  • Please do update. I hate articles and news story's when they give such little details. I am going to reserve in my mind that in some way if the dogs did anything to the baby it was to try to help it. I wish they would have said if the dogs scratched or bit.

And yes the baby should have made noise. Maybe the dad rolled over on the baby and suffocated the baby the and baby fell and dogs were scratching to get a response? Who knows I hope they up date soon and I hope the dogs do not get put to sleep.
    Post edited by CrystalWolf at 2013-12-11 06:24:03
  • SayaSaya
    Maybe the baby fell and went unconscious or the fell killed right away and any trauma from the dogs were after death? Could explain why there was no crying? Who knows so many questions it's hard to say and it is sad accident.

I hope people who read it take lesson to never leave baby alone.

Crap happens I mean if it wasn't the dogs the fall could have killed the baby or injured depending how high the couch is or if there is coffee table near it might hit..

another article on it with bit more info..
    http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2013/12/10/police-investigate-babys-death.html
    Photobucket
  • This just breaks my heart. Would love to help in any way I can. FYI - it is possible to get a copy of the police report to find out exactly what happened. It will probably cost a small fee but is probably worth it for the potential rescue. I work at a law office and would be willing to write the letter to get the police report if needed. Praying that these dogs are rescued and not put to sleep.
  • MamaYokoMamaYoko
    Wow. Something seems very off about this story. How does a father sleep through that? Unless...like many have said, the fall killed her initially (but that would have to be either 1) a really high couch or 2) she fell right on her head or in a very fatal way...maybe she fell and hurt her neck? who knows). What a terribly tragic story, and I really feel for those poor shibas. I will add them to my prayers tonight.
    Post edited by MamaYoko at 2013-12-11 09:29:26
  • natashanatasha
    Thanks Saya for the extra article, I like other members feel that something about this story doesn't gel. As a mom myself I don't understand how a baby can fall and be played with roughly and no one hears anything!!! As for the initial fall killing the baby, how high was this damn couch?
  • vihleevihlee
    The only ones responsible for the infant's death are the parents! Animals of any kind should not be left alone with children of any age! Poor dogs.
  • YIKES. Whatever happened, there is something really off about this story. Even if it's discovered that the dogs were "responsible" in the sense that they inflicted the fatal wounds, there are too many things amiss here. The video does a better job of showing how irresponsible the parents were than the article.

I find it odd the baby didn't cry when it fell to the floor. Maybe like someone stated before, the dad was too drunk to wake. Or maybe the baby would've cried if the dogs were touching it while the baby was still alive. During college I worked at a daycare in the infant room, and I never met a baby that didn't cry when in distress.

Yeah I agree. But I could possibly see a baby land and not cry out, if the distance from couch to floor was short, and the floor was well-carpeted, especially if she had been asleep. But even if that were the case (what would be the chances?), that still never justifies ever leaving a baby on the couch. And like you said, if she didn't cry from injury, she would cry from distress: she was only four months old, so she would likely cry from the surprise whether she was hurt or not. I worked daycare too, and I've had babies that took small tumbles onto carpet and did not cry, but as soon as another baby accidentally bopped them with a toy harder than plush, they would burst out screaming.

Why was she not in a crib? Was the father holding her while he fell asleep on the couch, or was she next to him? There's always a risk when you fall asleep carrying an infant; the parents I've known who have done this usually wake up often to check on their infant or move them to the crib. Most parents don't sleep soundly if they're nervous about the safety of their child, especially a post-ICU child like this (I've had siblings who went through NICU when I was young, my parents barely slept). Even if the dad wasn't carrying her, how could he sleep through the night knowing she was on the couch? And the mom, for that matter?

I'm also wondering why she didn't cry afterwards if/when she received the external injuries. If the baby never cried at all during the incident, maybe she suffered from internal injuries as @MamaYoko suggested.

And then I'm also wondering if the baby did cry, and no one heard her--except maybe the dogs, who may have been trying to alert the mom by scratching on the door. Every scenario I'm imagining screams of the blatant parent negligence whether the dogs were involved or not.
  • One of the local stations said an autopsy will be conducted today. My guess is the evening or morning news will provide some updates.
  • SayaSaya

http://www.nbc4i.com/story/24195703/coroner-confirms-infant-died-of-injuries-from-dog-bites.
    Photobucket
  • So... will they euthanize the dogs... How sad for everyone... :(
  • I've always hated OHIO for a reason. I grew up in Ohio only an hour away from Columbus. I've been to Columbus a few times and I must say, that I've always had a bad vibe. I guess I'd rather be a little supersticious in blaming the city than blaming two innocent Shibas! Grrrr. The poor pups probably didn't know any better, especially if they were born and raised in an enviornment without babies!!!! This frustrates me!!! Any dog should not be unattended around a child. NONE! ZIP! ZILCH! ZERO! I googled this incident and the damn reporter is blaming the pups and said that the pups mauled the baby! EXSCUSE ME, the pups did NOT maul the child. Oh my my my.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ohio-family-dogs-kill-baby-rough-play-cops-article-1.1543992
    photo 6b74d441-46df-4852-af9a-1f765aea9bb0.jpg
    Post edited by iLoveMyShibz at 2013-12-11 16:55:10
  • BootzBootz
    This is very sad.

But at least its good to know a lot of readers don't blame the dogs, and blame the owners/parents.
  • I agree @Bootz....
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Wondering if they will temperment test these Shibas? Would be interesting to see the results.

I really hope they won't be euthanized, but somebody will have to be held accountable.

I vote for the parents, but I have my doubts.
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • That's really tragic. While I'm sure the parents are heart-broken, I'm a little disappointed that neither parent is being investigated for negligence. It sounds like so much about this accident could have been prevented. If anything, I hope people take this as a cautionary tale on how not to leave your child unsupervised instead of demonizing an entire dog breed.
    Post edited by Nattles at 2013-12-11 17:28:39
  • @Nattles, Exactly! This is sickening! My child would be with me or in his/her crib. Especially if my child had just gotten out of the hospital! I wouldn't want to be seperated from him/her.... :(
  • Aiko1Aiko1
    Can everyone please sign the petition to save these two shibas???? Also PLEASE pass it around. They should not have to die for the "parents" lack of responsibility!

https://www.change.org/petitions/franklin-county-animal-shelter-of-ohio-please-do-not-put-these-2-beautiful-shiba-inu-s-down
  • jennjenn
    Signed and shared, thanks for linking that @Aiko1
    Jenn, Shiba Slave to Rigby / http://hellorigby.com
  • MalMal
    Am I understanding this correctly? The guy falls asleep on the couch with the baby, the baby falls off the couch, and then the dogs start roughhousing with the baby... how does this not wake the dad up? :|
  • @Aiko1, Do you know exactly how legit this petition will be by chance? I see that there are 105 signees and the signatures keep on coming!
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Signed and shared, it's worth a try!
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • knnwangknnwang
    Wonder if either of the parents are fourm members. they did have what looks like two pure bred Shibas.
  • EthosEthos
    I feel sorry for the family and the baby.
    But Poor dogs! how is that in any way their fault!! they might be put down? WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!? What the hell?
  • Frankly, I have more faith that direct contact with the shelter and legal authorities in this case will do more to prevent the dogs from being put down. And I don't know what the laws say about dogs involved in bite fatalities in Columbus, or if there is a process by which they are officially labeled "vicious" dogs and need to be put down.

Has anyone notified advocacy groups like the Lexus Project about these Shibas?
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Lexus-Project-Legal-Defense-for-Dogs/134397299923522
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    According to that petition, The Lexus Project has gotten involved.

The Lexus Project is willing to step in and help, as long as the shelter is willing to allow it. We are all begging the Franklin County Animal Shelter to work with the Lexus Project and give these dogs a chance. Here is a statement from President of The Lexus Project:

We've gotten dogs off with this type of history and currently represent Onion, a RR who accidentally killed a one year old he lived with. Very sad.

The owner of the dog is the grandma. Loves the baby and dog. Murdering the dog won't bring back the baby.

If there is any way possible to get the Franklin County Animal Shelter on board, The Lexus Project will try to help. BUT only the parents or shelter can request their help saving the dogs.

Robin Mittasch, President
    The Lexus Project
    www.thelexusproject.org
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • amtiamti
    So, it seems the mom woke up to the sound of one of the dogs pawing at her bedroom door and found the baby next to the living room couch, where the dad was sleeping. When she called EMS a little before 7am, there were cries in the tape that sounded like a baby's. The baby was pronounced dead at around 7:45am. And she was about a pound and a half in weight. Mia was found with puncture wounds but no trauma.

So unfortunate for all parties...

On a bright note, hopefully the shelter or the owners will allow the Lexus Project to step in. Keeping my fingers crossed for a little ray of hope for these dogs.

http://www.thelexusproject.org/

Post edited by amti at 2013-12-11 22:52:04
  • Ah, thanks. Guess I should have actually read the petition (sorry, I'm a bit allergic to most online petition links these days).

Here's hoping that those involved can work towards a fair and reasonable outcome in the midst of such tragedy.
  • It's really a horrible story. The fact that the baby was so small, too, makes it even more likely the dog might think, oh, something to play with, and play like dogs do. :(

I hope someone does step in for these dogs. The lexus project sounds promising...

And I thought I'd link James Crosby's blog here for more information on canine aggression, and someone who deals with dogs that have killed humans. It's a good blog and worth a read: http://canineaggression.blogspot.com/
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2013-12-11 23:26:41
  • amtiamti
    One of the side new reads on one of the news pages is a link to an article: How Dangerous is a Shiba Inu? Another stupid article imho.
    http://www.nbc4i.com/story/24197618/how-dangerous-is-a-shiba-inu
    How Dangerous Is A Shiba Inu?
    Posted: Dec 11, 2013 5:01 PM CST
    Updated: Dec 11, 2013 5:01 PM CST
    Clova Wide is a Marion dog breeder. Her specialty: Shiba Inus, the breed of dog that attacked and killed a 3-month-old girl in Columbus this week.

"They're quiet, and they very seldom bark," Wide says she's been raising them for 17 years. She said was shocked to hear Inu's were responsible for the death of the baby.

"A big dog in a small body," is how the website YourPurebredPuppy.com refers to the breed. The website recommends the dogs be kept on-leash, as they typically have a high prey drive and will pursue anything that moves.

Wide said that what she heard about the incident is not typical in her experience.

"That is absolutely in my opinion not typical of a Shiba Inu," she said.

Shiba Inu Information, according to the American Kennel Club

Appearance

Smallest of Japanese native breeds, originally developed for hunting
    Excellent watchdog and companion

Size

Males average 23 lb
    Females average 17lbs

Head

Expression is good natured with a strong and confident gaze
    Temperament
    At times aggressive toward other dogs
  • natashanatasha
    When my daughter was born she was a big baby, she weighed in at about 7 and a half pounds and still as a new mom I was so protective of her and worried about her well being. This baby was 1 and a half pounds according to the news story, that is tiny! Why was she left on a couch? I'm sure this was a tragic mistake on the part of the parents, but this child was so small and frail she should have been safe and sound in her crib. In fact that sounds like a very low weight for a baby to be out of the hospital at all.
  • AWE46M3AWE46M3
    I wonder if, given the baby's apparent health, it died from SIDS or something BEFORE the dogs got to it. Why else would the mother AND father not wake up to a cry/screaming child?

Very sad situation no less and hopefully the dogs are not deemed to be the problem...

Next time we're at the dog park, if everyone clears out upon arrival at least I'll know why...!
  • SayaSaya
    1 and a half pounds wow that was small!

I keep seeing comments like my shiba is 100% good with dogs protective and friendly etc.

I have a Shiba and am totally confused here. They are very smart little dogs and can't see how they could inflict "internal injuries" to a baby or any other injuries enough to cause a fatality?

Shiba inu are not that small.. A dachshund can do some damage to a baby if it wanted to.

Saya is pretty strong for a 20lb dog and I think if she wanted to she could done damage.

If the baby is a small premie and weighed 1lb sure it could do damage if intentional or in act of play. so many what ifs, should haves, but sadly this happen.

Really a couch is not a place for a small baby it should have been in crib or something.

Dogs are still new to the whole baby thing and can't expect them to be 100% reliable left alone.

Coarse parent's are the ones who screwed up and I hope they learned a good lesson.

I hope the dogs can be rescued and evaluated.

Saya is super gentle with kids and toddlers, but I'd never leave her alone with them.

Do a baby that age move much? 1lb seem small.. I've been around babies, but forgotten when the parent's said they started rolling and stuff.

This video says the shiba got a hold of the baby? I thought she fell then the dogs bite the baby?
    http://www.nbc4i.com/story/24197240/parents-of-infant-killed-by-dogs-called-her-their-thanksgiving-miracle
    Photobucket
    Post edited by Saya at 2013-12-12 10:15:57
  • MamaYokoMamaYoko
    Signed the petition. Sharing it as well. Praying.
  • With preemies they are so vulnerable. Their whole bodies, skin and veins are delicate and any kind of mistake or trauma and it's over does not matter what breed of dog.

Anyone that states do nothing with their dog when expecting are out of their gourds. The vast majority of dogs have had no formal experience with babies on a daily basis. Babies are formula drooling, poo excreting aliens. You never know how any family dog will behave in regard to the odors and sounds of the daily hygiene and care of an infant once it enters the home. It's best to never make assumptions. New expecting parents would be wise to look into "Dog and Storks" programs make sure transitions are smooth.

Snf

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)