For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Shibas blamed for infant death in my town.
  • BayBay
    The autopsy results confirmed it was dog bites that killed the infant. =(
    Still not the shibas fault in any way. So sad. Hope the dogs can be saved.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2013/12/11/dog-bite-death.html

• KBBD83KBBD83
    This story sounds rotten. I don't believe for one second that the parents are not to blame. No one is being charged??? It's obvious neglect! I'm thinking that because the parents were so distraught (and who wouldn't be) the police put on kid gloves and didn't do their proper job! My blood is boiling, I'm so mad.

I think that they should drug test the parents. Who can sleep through a child's cries???
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    It's a tragedy for all concerned. Not to defend the parents but you have to take into consideration the lung development in a premi and it's ability to cry.

Regardless, the parents should have been more responsible with having an infant around a dog/dogs.
    犬竜
  • If the dog was pawing at the door, maybe it was actively trying to tell the mom something was going on? :/ maybe the punctured wounds was just the dog trying to lift the baby back up on the couch. I'm sure that since the child was so little it would have been hard to help without hurting him/her. When that didn't work out, the dog went to fetch the other parent.

That's the story I'm imagining, heh. Still so sad. :( I will sign the petition.
  • SayaSaya
    Inu Ryu makes a good point. I never been around a preemie babies I been around have been born at normal times and big and healthy. Either way sad all around.

Some comments made by some shiba owners is sad..

"Parent's should be euthanized" Or"We should contact PETA So they can break the dogs out of shelter" Really? One thing PETA would probably kill the shiba because to them any dog being owned by human is bad they euthanize dogs and steal them.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • The whole thing is really sad, and I can only imagine how terrible the parents feel too. I did think a baby that small--it's possible it can't cry. And rather than assume the worst for the parents, I kept thinking about the exhaustion new parents face, esp. of a preemie, and how the father simply could have fallen asleep. Obviously not a good thing to have happen, but I can imagine it happening, anyway, and not everyone is a light sleeper. So I do think, these parents have been through hell, and are still going through it, and to say things like that (euthanize them) is just horrible.

That said, I hope the dogs aren't euthanized either, as it was not their fault.
  • Oh, what a sad, sad situation. I agree with many of the comments above and would urge all who are touched by this to put their energy into signing the petition mentioned and/or supporting The Lexus Project in this matter. I don't know about other online petition sites but, my family has experienced first hand how Change.org brings attention to certain issues and helps to enlighten "those in charge" to make reasonable decisions so, I hope they quickly get the remaining signatures needed. Taking the lives of these two beautiful creatures will not bring back the life of that precious baby. May there be mercy and compassion shown toward this family and the two dogs! Such a tragedy on so many levels.
    Peek A Boo Pups
    "Pardon Me. Is My Shibaness Showing?"
  • amtiamti
    I've listened to a couple of videos where concerned Shiba owners contacted the police and spoke to people in charge. They confirmed the dogs are being held in the same pen and still alive, and there is still an ongoing investigation. The people answering questions seemed very compassionate and sounded like they didn't want to kill the dogs. They know about the petition and thanked people for signing it as well. The Lexus Project can only help if either the dog owners or the shelter allows them to help. Otherwise, they have to no power to do anything.
  • HaloHalo
    Those poor shibas looked scared. =( I think they really look into the situation and not just blame the dogs. Why was the baby on the couch? Where was the crib? why wasn't the baby in the crib, especially being that she was so small and frail? Was the baby dead before or after the external injuries? Being that the dad slept on the couch, possibly the same couch as the baby, could he have rolled on top of her and sufficated her before she fell to the floor? Maybe falling to the floor caused severe head trama that killed her. So many questions unanswered....yet they just want to blame the dogs. I hope the baby was dead before the dogs got to her. Making the dogs not responsible for her death.
  • Forgot to mention the following resources and hotline info. for expecting families

http://familypaws.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/FamilyPawsParentEducation

There is no reason for such a tragedy to repeat itself. I only hope others will spread the word and reach out to parents with resources that are now widely available.

Snf
  • Who would you all recommend I contact if I was interested in taking one of the pups??? I really want to save them! I may have a home for the two of them. A very NICE and LOVING home with a great fenced in yard. They would enjoy that very much!!!! :)
    photo 6b74d441-46df-4852-af9a-1f765aea9bb0.jpg
  • INU RYUU said:

It's a tragedy for all concerned. Not to defend the parents but you have to take into consideration the lung development in a premi and it's ability to cry.

I wondered about that. I had two premie siblings younger than me who were used to being jostled during freqent hospital handling, but I couldn't remember how loud they cried or how often. They might not have cried that much, so it's entirely possible this infant wasn't able to cry loud enough to alert the parents, if at all.

I also agree that people calling for the death of the parents are way over the line. You don't justify death--especially accidental deaths--with more deaths. We also don't know for sure what exactly happened, but the parents obviously hadn't wanted this to happen.

That said, I'm still shocked by the blatant negligence here. Tired or not, they should have known better, especially with a premie baby that just got out of the ICU. My parents were exhausted with my siblings, but even with their fatigue, they took all the necessary precautions with the babies before resting themselves. This couple 1) left the baby on the couch 2) overnight, 3) with one sleeping parent in the same room completely unaware that the infant had fallen to the floor, 4) and the other parent was in another room with the door closed and no idea what was going on until the dogs woke her up, 5) and two dogs that were not crated that had access to the infant. Accidents happen, and it's tragic, but this was a disaster on multiple accounts.

@Halo: No, I think the autopsy would have confirmed if the infant had suffered or died from any internal injuries not inflicted by the dogs. There's an article on the first page and a second one at the top reporting the autopsy results.

EDIT - typos
    Post edited by Nattles at 2013-12-12 20:59:04
  • knnwangknnwang
    Wow, Shiba Inus are Baby Killers!. In Ohio. So weard...
  • sunyatasunyata
    Just an FYI... If the baby was discharged from the NICU, the baby can cry and cry loud. They will not allow a premature baby (or any baby for that matter) to leave the hospital without proper lung development. Doing so is an insane liability for the hospital. With that being said, I am really surprised that they allowed a 1.5 pound baby to leave the hospital at all... I am dubious that the reported weight is accurate.

Without seeing any evidence, my guess of what happened is that the mother was exhausted and went to sleep in the bedroom with the door closed. The father was most likely watching TV on the couch, placed the baby beside him, then fell asleep. Perhaps the TV was loud (which would explain why the father did not hear the child hit the floor) and when the baby hit the floor she was knocked unconscious. The dogs, being curious and perhaps not having been introduced to the baby, most likely nudged it, then perhaps bit down to drag the baby. This could have been done out of play, curiosity, or by instinct knowing something was not right. Either way, a premature baby that small (or even 3 times that weight) is extremely fragile and even a light pressure on the right area of her body could cause death.

Was there parental negligence, yes. Was it intentional, most likely not. Are the dogs to blame, absolutely not.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • Any news yet if the dogs will be released to the rescue?
  • Very well said @sunyata!
    photo 6b74d441-46df-4852-af9a-1f765aea9bb0.jpg
  • MegaenMegaen
    So many things wrong with the story of "what happened" how the hell does a baby fall off a couch and shibas play with her and no one wakes up. Yet there's story somewhere I've heard that the mother, who was asleep in her room, woke up to one of the dogs scratching on the door?? This really needs to be investigated fully before any judgements are made. Any baby/child needs to be supervised while the pets are around, not just for the baby's sake but for the pets too.
  • knnwangknnwang
    When watching the video of the 2 Shibas being dragged away by police officers from OP jessefritschzy. Did anyone else think only a Shiba could pull off that look no matter what it is charged with?
  • I find it very irresponsible for a parent to fall asleep anywhere with a baby under 2pounds outside of it's crib.

My weekends are Monday and Tuesdays, so I might try to stop by the Franklin County Dog shelter in the next couple days to get an update. I'll also see if they will allow me to see them (not sure they would be out in the public cages).

For the poster asking earlier, I believe I am the only board member from Columbus or the central Ohio area.
  • This story is sad from all sides. I just don't think we have all the info out there yet. I saw a YouTube afterwards of a concerned man calling the shelter, and an autopsy hadn't even confirmed the cause yet despite news reports. I can't find the link right now sorry, it was on a news sites comment section.

This hits home because I too have an infant and a shiba. G has always been great with the baby, slowly accepting him. I can't bring myself to believe that these two dogs caused the death on purpose. I keep envisioning the baby on the floor, the dogs trying to help, inadvertently causing bites, and then going to the mothers bedroom to get her up. The baby didn't deserve to die, but neither do these two dogs.
  • Some people can sleep through anything... I myself have slept through violent thunderstorms before. But if you KNOW you are a deep sleeper, why would you leave your premie baby on the couch within access of your dogs? Even if your dogs are well-behaved, I would never put a baby where any dog can get to them, unsupervised. This does sound like obvious neglect on the father's part.
  • TengaiTengai
    does not make sense. As far as I know a hospital would not allow a baby less than 2 lbs go home! Someone said it was 1 1/2 lbs.
  • amtiamti
    One of the articles mentioned the baby was 1 1/2 pounds, but I also think that might have been the weight of the baby when born. One of my friends had a premie that was smaller than the size of a beanie baby bear, which would probably be around 1 1/2 pounds. She stayed in the hospital for almost three months for lung development and was about five pounds when she was released. So I bet the baby was closer to five pounds.
  • This is just awful....I also signed.
  • Are there any updates on the fate of these two dogs?
  • Hey all.... Just a heads up. There is talk with a lawyer about what our next step is for these 2. There is a foster home set up in North Carolina, however we need to get them from Ohio to North Carolina. Please message me if you are interested or able to help out. I will also link in the information page, and we are looking for donations for the legal fees. If you are on Facebook the group is called "Help Save the 2 Ohio Shiba Inus blamed for the Death of Mia Gibson"
  • RikaRika
    This is so tragic. The dad obviously wasn't paying enough attention, and no one should be blaming the poor dogs without enough evidence! We should pray for the whole family. :(
    Rika -- 1 year old red coated Shiba Inu <3
  • Here's more info. on the work to save the dogs. The organizer is trying to raise money for legal fees to help get the dogs into rescue if the owners are willing to give them up (still a lot of "ifs" in this case). But there is a lot of information here: http://www.youcaring.com/pet-expenses/help-save-chance-and-karma-in-ohio-from-being-euthanized-/119324

(it's the same video as above, but he's switched over to a different funding site.....So most of that info as above, but consolidated in one link)
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2013-12-23 21:54:18
  • Thanks shibamistress for updating that video!!!
  • OMG! Rather than safely using a crib, what kind of neglectful a**hole risks falling asleep with a new baby, any baby, let alone a preemie? Why, that would be a Columbus a**hole and such a sound sleeper he never notices his babies' fall to the floor nor the commotion a couple playful Shibas make with that baby/toy! I agree with a previous commentator noting "kid gloves" seem to have been used with the "distraught" parents when the father was clearly at fault, neglectful, and I suspect under the influence of something (booze, meds., etc.) EVERY new parent experiences some exhaustion but using that as an excuse for a babies' death is ridiculous. I note that mom was able to awaken merely by one of the pups scratching at her bedroom door--no mention of when "dad" finally awoke to the nightmare of HIS making.

Babies are precious, priceless, and helpless. The very best of pets should NEVER be around little ones unsupervised. NEVER. Mia's worthless father is the reason Mia is dead. I speak as a mother (yes, my son and I survived those sleepless new born nights), and as a pet owner of both dogs and cats--currently a couple of fine Shiba Inus! I hope the two Columbus Shiba Inus can be saved.

• knnwangknnwang
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/animal-rights-group-gets-dog-that-killed-nev-tot/2014/01/24/2faed8ce-84d4-11e3-a273-6ffd9cf9f4ba_story.html

Interesting article. The grandmother that owned the dog requested help from the New York-based Lexus Project. :/
  • BootzBootz
    @knnwang. Damn. That is clearly the owners fault. Should have desensitize the dog to ear/tail/feed pulling.

And why the heck is the baby walking around in a dark room? ~X(
  • I wish I had the link, but I already deleted the email. But I did get an update about the Shibas in Ohio. An attorney has been hired, and they will be released to a service dog trainer. I don't know if that means they will as in the attorney is still fighting for that, or if that has been decided to be an acceptable alternative, but in any case, there is progress for Chance and Karma, the two Shibas.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    http://www.youcaring.com/pet-expenses/help-save-chance-and-karma-in-ohio-from-being-euthanized-/119324

Here is the link that John has posted to the fundraiser explaining the situation and giving progress updates.
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • jessefritschzyjessefritschzy
    UPDATE:

Today I went to a local dog shelter (Actually, the nicest one in Columbus) and I saw a shiba outside in a play area. I went over and after talking to the lady (shelter worker) I found out the shiba is Sampson, the red shiba from the case. Unfortunately, the owner decided to put the other shiba down because she believed it was the one that attacked the baby. She is trying to keep Sampson, but he is to be kept at the shelter pending DNA evidence. They are waiting for the results from swabs to see if his DNA is on the baby. If so, she more or less said he will be put down. The shelter lady says she takes him out at least twice a day and gives him special treats. He looks to be in great health and was wagging his tail when I walked over.

My shibas lick EVERYTHING. I can just imagine Sampson licking the babies wounds which would leave his DNA everywhere. I just hope he doesn't get put down.
  • SayaSaya
    Oh wow that is so sad for the other shiba and now for Sampson. I hope if he is cleared I hope he goes to other home..
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    It's so sad that the media blew it up then forgot about the dogs. I always wondered what the outcome was and am devastated that one of the dogs wasn't saved. I hope the other dog is given a chance.
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    Huh. I'm on a list/group for someone trying to save these two Shibas. They've even hired an attorney, to get the dogs turned over to them, and they keep us updated, and have not mentioned that the girl was going to be put down. So I wonder if that is accurate info. or not? Maybe the people who run the group I have been following just don't know yet? Or maybe--hopefully!--the dog shelter lady was wrong?

The Franklin County Dog Shelter is right down the street from me. The worker at first told me she couldn't tell me anything because the shiba was apart of an investigation. I then prompted her by asking if it was apart of the baby case, and that it was on the news so it was public knowledge already. That's when she started talking. So maybe they are keeping it low key. It sounds like the original owner is trying to keep Sampson if everything comes back clean with the DNA. I'm thinking your group hasn't been updated yet.
  • AddieThibAddieThib
    Not trying to take the Shiba's side intentionally, but if that baby was born premature, even after 4 months of health it should be monitored carefully. Regardless of health, ANY baby should be monitored carefully! Why in the world would anyone leave a baby on the couch to sleep and fall asleep themselves? In the end, it's the parent's responsibility to watch their baby and make sure it's sleeping where he or she can't fall, and they need to follow a routine for introducing a newborn to the dogs that have been in the house or keep the baby away from them.
    I see it as the parent's irresponsibility. I hope they find more evidence to better clarify this case.
  • AddieThibAddieThib
    Actually I just found this:
    "Sgt. Steven Little of the first-shift homicide squad said the dogs, two Shiba Inus, didn’t seem to have attacked the baby but were playing roughly with her."

I still think the parents shouldn't have fallen asleep or left the room with a premie baby with dogs in the room in the first place. There's always precautions to take with babies. (and puppies.) This family is in my prayers though.
  • DianaBostonDianaBoston
    The euthanization of the dog is news to John -- Boston leader of the group to save the dogs. He said neither he, nor his attorneys, nor anyone on the team had heard of this. And, that they had spoken to them on Friday and that both dogs were okay. The attorney for this group will call the shelter. Just thought I'd pass this on. Are you sure this is true @jessefritschzy? If so, this is really shattering news and more so that the attorney nor team was updated.
    Thanks DianaBoston, for that update. I'd been going to ask on the ShibaSaviors worldwide page, but I got busy and didn't have a chance to ask. I'm hoping this is just a confusion with the kennel worker, and the female has not been euthanized.
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2014-05-04 14:18:48
  • KireielaysonKireielayson
    Boy I sure do hope there is some confusion on this. I would sure hate to find out that the Black/ Tan was put down and the Shiba Saviors attorney has not been notified. That just smacks as so wrong. As an attorney, the idea that the "other" side hides this kind of information is infuriating!
    That is what the kennel worker told me. Hopefully it is not true, but she seemed pretty sure. Please keep us updated with news from the group.
  • DianaBostonDianaBoston
    An update on this. Just heard back from John G. of Shiba Saviors. They have been told that both dogs are still alive and well. However, that the prosecutor in this case is working hard to have the dogs euthanized. The legal battle continues in order to save them.
    Glad to have an update, and glad to hear both dogs are still alive. I hope they are able to save them!
  • Jshaw1993Jshaw1993
    Does anyone by any chance know what's been happening with this case? I was curious to know if anything had been finalized with these two.
    I just checked in with Shiba Saviors Worldwide and there is some news, but a lot of it was not good. Karma was euthanized (and apparently it has been decided that Karma was not attacking the baby, but playing roughly, but the rough play killed the child). Chance is still alive, and the owners said he was not involved in baby's death as he was in another room with the mother at the time of the incident. However, they have not been able to have Chance released and he is still categorized as a "vicious" dog. Apparently the parents' wishes have totally been ignored, as well, and they were not even allowed to say goodbye to Karma though they wished to, nor were they informed of his/her euthanasia til after the fact.

The whole thing is a mess, and though Shiba Saviors Worldwide has hired a legal team to save the dogs, the whole thing has been mishandled at the shelter, and by people that appear to have an agenda. It's really sad overall, but there is still hope for Chance.

And I've got to say, I'm astounded by how callous some of the comments have been on this case--not here, but elsewhere, blaming the parents, calling them terrible people for not saving the dogs, on and on. I mean, seriously, these people lost their child and their dogs, and they are still trying to save one dog, and did try to save the other--even after the dog killed their baby! I don't know if I would be able to do the same thing myself.
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2014-07-09 23:01:03

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion