For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Luxating Patella- Does it hurt to do certain activities?
  • amtiamti
    My foster Sheba was recently diagnosed with luxating patella. I've never seen her knee slip or her shake her leg, but she does walk a little wobbly and bow legged so I suspected it. I always have the dogs sit at the curb before we cross the street. Does sitting or doing certain activities hurt her? She does sit but not always willingly, so I'm wondering if it hurts. If it does, then I don't want to make her sit. The vet said her condition was a 2 (out of 4 stages). I'm not sure what other activities (other than jumping) I need to keep her from doing. Stairs? Running?
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Sharp sudden changes in direction like in Agility, Flyball and Lure Coursing would likely aggravate it. She probably would not be a good jogging partner. If it really hurt her to sit, she wouldn't do it at all. Does she sit on her own around the house?
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I do not know very much info on luxellating patella or the pain that might be involved. But I just wanted to share a recommendation on something else besides sitting at intersections. I understand the concept of why you require them to sit; Kira has to sit and wait for me to "release" her before she goes outside.

You can change her command to "look" and train her to establish constant eye contact with you, then "release" her when you are ready for her to cross. Just a thought. Hope it helps and best wishes for your foster Sheba.
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • amtiamti
    Thanks for the suggestion Kira Kira. That's a good idea.

Lindsayt. Come to think of it, she's either laying down or standing unless she's moving. The main times she sits are right before I feed her and before we cross the street- both are times I make her sit. She tends to get up quickly although I've been trying to teach her to stay sitting until released. She's not much into sudden movements or being fast, but lately, she has done the Shiba 500 with Kaji a few times, but just for a couple of laps around the coffee table. She's indoors on carpet when she runs. And with her physical condition (obesity) jogging was always out of the question. I'm thinking it may bother her to sit, and that's why she's not doing it much. Kaji doesn't sit that often either, but he does sit, and his knees are tight. We had them checked a few weeks ago.
  • I was thinking the same thing--it may hurt her to sit. None of my LP dogs had problems sitting before the surgery (though fat Toby sits to one side, but he does that on his own), but after the surgery, we didn't get 100% mobility back for Bel, so she could not sit easily after the surgery.

Most of the things that would bother her, though are probably things she would do anyway, but if she were a more active dog (like Bel was) I'd be careful about running in the yard and quick turns. Quick turns are particularly bad.
  • amtiamti
    Ok, thanks. I didn't make her sit tonight at the curb although she did on her own one time. The other time, I had her look at me, which worked great. Our back yard's enclosed area is pretty small so there's not much running other than straight. She does have to go down a flight of stairs to get to the yard though which worries me since she goes down pretty fast. The only real running Sheba has done is in the house around the coffee table, which is square and about 5'x5', so it isn't too small. She does make a few quick turns and stops so I'll have to slow the dogs down when they start playing.... hmmm, time for creative thinking ....
    Post edited by amti at 2013-12-08 12:38:34

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (7)