For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Houdini Inu
  • This morning, as I arose from bed, I found Pepper, my 2 year old shiba, curled neatly on top of our bed covers. She had a smug smile on her face knowing she had accomplished something devious, and as if I would not notice. By choice, we don't allow Pepper and Dexter to sleep on our bed, unless it's a special occasion. We usually crate them at night. Before going to bed, I snuggly tucked Pepper into her crate and brought Dexter to bed. He was feeling a bit off that night, and my husband and I wanted to make sure he was doing okay. Half way through the night, Dexter decided to go back to his crate. So I got up and put him back in. Pepper must have 1) gotten jealous, 2) decided she deserved to be on the bed, and 3) needed to find an escape route out of her crate ... and that she did. This morning, the door to her crate was wide open and she was sleeping neatly curled up on our bed. I swear she has hands and not paws...

Has your shiba ever pulled a Houdini??
  • BootzBootz
    Depending on what type of crate you have....its not surprising that your Shiba can get out of it.

Some loose crates, if the dog keeps pawing at it with their foot, will unlatch the door.

I would suggest you try to find a way so that she cant get out of it, for her safety of course.
  • @seastar135, This is too funny. I would have loved to have seen the Shiba Smirk on Pepper's face! CUTE! :)
    photo 6b74d441-46df-4852-af9a-1f765aea9bb0.jpg
  • Kobi was being crated at the in-laws, while we were heading out for a dinner. He's not allowed anywhere in the house because her mom doesn't like dogs. But since it was so cold in the garage we asked if he could be crated inside the house.

We drove separate from her parents and after dinner we got to their house before them. And we could hear the house alarm going off so we ran into the house to his crate and it was empty. We're running through the house looking for him and we see him casually strolling in the hallway like he owned the place. He somehow had pushed the backside of the crate open and had gotten out.

In our home he studies us when we open and close doors. I have a webcam set up and have seen him try to jump up and open the handles with his paws.
  • tatonkatatonka
    Luckily Tatonka doesn't have Nightcrawler's powers.
    Monkey!
  • @KingKobiYashi, Kobi sounds adorable! haha. We are thinking of getting a webcam for when we're at work. We always wonder what our pups are up to when we're gone. Shibas are too smart!
  • @seastar135 I recently read about something that's sort of like a roomba but it has a webcam and a speaker on it, so you can not only see what your dog is doing but also talk to him/her. I have no idea how much it costs, but I was very intrigued!!
  • LuvourSiLuvourSi
    @kingkobiyashi that's funny (only since he's okay)! My Si learned to open the gate to the back yard. When he did it he gave me that shiba smirk like yes I'm smart. After that time when I let him out I would watch him when he didn't know I was watching, to make sure he didn't attempt again, he looked up at the latch then turned around. I guess he had already proved to himself he could do it and he knows how good he has it at home lol no since in leaving haha!
  • Panko's crate has two doors and each door has two sliding latches that have to be lifted away from the crate before sliding.

One day when I got home from work I could hear Panko barking excitedly as I drove up. As I got to the back door he sounded like he was right there. Sure enough when I opened the door, there he was, happy as can be. What the...?

The weird thing is when I went to check his crate both doors were closed and only one latch was unlocked. Again...what the....? I now use four s-biners for the latches to be safe.
    Panko!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)