For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    Has anyone had to use (or consider using) D.A.P.™ (Dog Appeasing Pheromone)?

I'm thinking it might be beneficial in some aspects with Hachi's transitions, she seems to be incredibly fearful of me when I come home from work, she will mess in her pen or in the kitchen where she is confined, her feet go taut and she slides all over the floor and screams b/c she can't flee to her den. Its really very sad to watch. I know she needs time and above all patience, which we have plenty of for her, I am just trying to consider other ways of making her comfortable. She has so much fear and uncertainty and when we think we are making progress in her confidence, the next day it seems we have taken a step back..

Scientifically, DAP mimics the properties of the natural pheromones of the lactating female. Within three to five days after giving birth, the female generates pheromones that give their puppies a sense of well-being and reassurance, known as appeasing pheromones. It is a diffuser plug in mechanism.
    I'm only considering it because it was suggested to me by someone in mill-dog rescue.

She is really watching and learning from our crew, how to act like a dog. It is really awesome to be a part of her transformation, as slow as it may be - so anything that will help her - a n y t h i n g - I will do it.
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    We have used it for Maui and it had an amazing effect on both Maui and Kaia - I was really skeptical but our behaviorist recommended it and I was blown away by the results.

The downside of it is that its a crutch, so once you use it you will need to continuously refill it which can get kinda $$.

I think it would really help her.

----
  • sujewelsujewel
    We used it on Jewel, but never the dogs. They were always good in the house. Seemed to work well on Jewel.