For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Holiday Travel and Play Pen Woes
  • Kiba0713Kiba0713
    So, my boyfriend and I are scrambling a little right now to prepare for Thanksgiving, because plans were changed on somewhat short notice to have the holiday at his relative's home in New Jersey. It's going to be an hour or so drive for sure, and we've been trying to figure out what to do with Kiba. We're definitely taking him with us, but aaafter we agreed to attend we were told that there is a cat in the home and that Kiba can only come if he is crated or outside. We cracked on crate training (bad us) after Kiba started throwing TANTRUMS after being perfectly fine in the crate when we first got him, and now I think the crate we have is too small for him anyway, at least for him to be comfortable for an extended period of time.

So our plan is to get a travel play pen that we can set up in their house, so he has a little more room to move around. We placed an order for one but I'm crossing my fingers that it arrives in time (there was no express ship option for the one I found that was both affordable and had positive reviews). Since we rushed to order one I cant really ask advice on which is a good option etc, but I wanted to share my worries and ask if any one else has had similar problems with traveling/holidays/family and their pups? And if this one doesn't work out it would be nice to know what others have done or what pens are good, in case we need to repeat this in the future.

I hope that the pen arrives in time and Kiba doesn't tear through it in 5 minutes, leaving us kinda screwed. :/ I also hope he is comfortable, because he isn't used to being confined in a space smaller than a bedroom and hasn't been to this house before, so I'm worried about him whining the whole time and being upset.. I also read some funny reviews about how the reviewer's dog just keeps walking and the pen rolls with them, for these pop-up travel pens. But I'm hoping hes small enough for that not to be a problem, and maybe we can place something heavy in it if we need to.

Anyone with similar experiences?

This is the one we ordered http://www.amazon.com/Pawhut-Deluxe-Sided-Folding-Playpen/dp/B008BUEIMC/ref=sr_1_25?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1384926152&sr=1-25&keywords=travel+pen
  • BootzBootz
    Ehhh....Have you asked them to see if you can just keep the cat/shiba in separate rooms? Worst come worst you can try out your local pet store and just buy a pen/crate to use...then return later and claim your dog escaped out of it (lol).

You should definitely invest in a crate that fits your shiba...and re-crate train him for situations like this. I have a crate for Bootz that I only touch once a year (when we need to leave her with a sitter). Yes it is a waste of money, but its better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it!

• Kiba0713Kiba0713
    Lol I suppose we could- I definitely guess that we'd be getting one in store if it's not here in time. We haven't asked about separate rooms but it's my boyfriend's family and I dont want to impose or ask them to keep their cat confined. I'm also worried that Kiba would pee all over their carpeting if he's left to his own devices... There's a very small amount of carpeting/mats in the apartment and we have to keep him away from them so he doesn't go on them.

And I agree about the crate, I hate to say it but we had some unexpected money issues shortly after getting Kiba so we're trying to budget (um, being =allegedly= robbed by the person who also poisoned him.. looong story). As of now I think he'd still fit in the crate if we had to get him somewhere urgently etc but we will need to get a bigger one some time.

edit: wording change
    Post edited by Kiba0713 at 2013-11-20 12:04:28
  • BootzBootz
    Well...if its family :) never hurts to ask. Just have your boyfriend to ask them if you feel uncomfortable. Don't cats usually prefer places that are quiet? Maybe she can be in the bedroom...or upstairs away from the crowd, while your Kiba can be in the same room as you so you can keep an eye on him.
  • Kiba0713Kiba0713
    I would guess as much, but again wanted to be respectful of their wishes. I know our cat (at my parents' house, not with Kiba) always hides away when people are over. We'll ask. Thanks for the replies :)
  • A friend of mine has given me permission to socialize our future puppy at her weekly social gathering, as long as I promise to take the puppy outside every 30 minutes to prevent accidents. She politely and firmly suggested I set an alarm.
    It's not that she doesn't want me there. It's not that she doesn't want my puppy there. It's that she doesn't want puppy pee on her carpets, which is totally understandable. I also have to supervise the puppy personally at all times, which is completely understandable. My friends house isn't a puppy sitting service.

We wouldn't have had to have this conversation, if other people hadn't let their peeing puppies run wild in her home. Your relative may have had a bad experience before, which has caused her to set limits.

I second the crate training idea Bootz shared. Crate training is handy for a host of situations, even if your pup doesn't sleep in one every night.

Be sure to give Kiba a ton of exercise and interaction while you are there, so he mainly sleeps when he is separated. Taking him out often will also help prevent accidents, as the extra excitement can make him need to go more. Be sure to pack for walking the pup in a New Jersey November (I'm from a warmer climate, but this may not be a factor for you.)

Bring some new toys to keep him busy, and a couple old favorites for comfort. Interactive food toys can while away the time. Squeaking toys annoy some people.

Can anyone in your family bring a baby gate? Most cats can hop over them, but most puppies can't, so the cat would have a safe room. The extra barrier protecting the cat may make the hosts more comfortable, and give you a fall back plan if he can escape his pen.

Good luck! We may face a similar situation soon too. Our puppy may come home a couple weeks before Christmas. (If he's show quality the breeder will keep him and we'll wait for a future litter.) Getting our puppy would be great, but it also means that we are investing in a pen and a couple baby gates to get us through holiday visitors.
  • Kiba0713Kiba0713
    Thanks for the feedback! I would be mortified if Kiba peed in their house, and they have a baby which is another reason to make sure we're super careful of what Kiba does.

I think the pen is a good solution for now, because its waterproof with a bottom etc and we'll put his blanket in, so hopefully there would be no escaped pee if he decided to go in the pen. They also have a yard so he will be out there for some of the time with us.

A new, non-squeaking toy is very good idea, thank you. And we do have a couple of baby gates set up, maybe we'll bring one (or they'll have? because they do have the baby..hm lol).

As for the weather, we're in New York and currently dealing with 35 degrees one day and 60 the next lol, so we'll bring his sweater and coat.

I hope you're able to get your puppy :D
  • zandramezandrame
    Last year for Thanksgiving when Kouda was only 3-4 months old we went to my brother's house. His wife was also not comfortable with him in the house around her dogs and baby. So we brought a folding metal pen, and kept him and his toys and his crate inside it. We went to home depot and got a roll of cheap vinyl to put under the pen, on top of the carpet. We set this up in the living room, close to the back door and visible from the kitchen so he wouldn't feel alone.

We spent a lot of time in the yard so he wouldn't have to be cooped up inside, or I sat inside the pen with him. I even watched a movie from in there with him on my lap. :p

He was great. No accidents. We also stayed in a hotel with the same setup with no problem.

I definitely recommend a metal pen, he cannot rip it! And the panels fold flat. Kouda is still good with his 30in one, and I can still step over it without opening the door, but they come taller too.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002908DX0?vs=1
    Post edited by zandrame at 2013-11-20 13:59:53
  • Kiba0713Kiba0713
    Thanks, the reason I was worried about going with metal was the weight and being unsure of how small/flat it could be when folded, for travel purposes, but if this turns out miserably we'll try metal next time. I do like the openness of us being able to see each other better with that style versus the kind we ordered, but we'll see how it goes. If this doesn't arrive in time I'll consider that too, I think I've seen them at petco.
  • BootzBootz
    The metal crate I got was collapsible. After it is broken down....the height was about 3 inches at the most? It is a little heavy, but that depends on the size you get. I got a crate large enough for 2 shibas (so that my Shiba will be comfortable staying in)
  • zandramezandrame
    Amazon will likely have the best price! And shipping is fast (we have prime). The pens collapse completely flat and are super easy to use. Way easier to set up than a crate. I store it in the trunk on the bottom underneath all the luggage when traveling.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I have one of the plastic pens, it's lightweight and easy to take apart/put together. The big metal ones are great too. I own one of each and they are worth it to have whenever we need it.

Midwest 24"x24" panel playpen - normally around $50 to $60 - donated to Kira by a friend

IRIS plastic playpen - discounted to $24 on Wayfair
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • Kiba0713Kiba0713
    Thanks for all the replies. Will update on how it goes :)
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Cloth pens and Shiba puppies are not a good match. Can you buy a small wire expen and line the inside of the cloth play pen with that? Italy help prevent the walls from being shredded.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • Kiba0713Kiba0713
    Yeah to be honest after all the great replies I'm thinking of grabbing the midwest wire pen from amazon (I can use my sister's prime account), but we still would have to get something waterproof under it like the vinyl that zandrame mentioned. We'll discuss it together and make a decision tomorrow, maybe check out home depot. I'm just laughing thinking of packing all this in the car with ourselves, Kiba, all his other supplies like coat, food, toys, and our Thanksgiving dishes and rolling it all out in this house lol. Id rather be over-prepared than under, of course.
  • tatonkatatonka
    Can't he just be confined to a room or the backyard? I imagine the cat can have the rest of the house.. it's not like both have to be confined.
    Monkey!
  • Kiba0713Kiba0713
    Yeah I mean I would have thought so but as I said I'm trying to respect their wishes and if they have a carpeted house I'd be scared to let Kiba loose in any room, because he loves to pee on carpet.

As far as the yard I dont want him to be too cold and I definitely wouldn't want to leave him unattended because I dont know what their yard is like at all, but Kiba puts everything in his mouth and loves to dig. So, he could get into plenty of trouble that way. He keeps trying to pull up the bulbs my mom planted in the yard when he's there.
  • zandramezandrame
    Kiba0713 said:

I'm just laughing thinking of packing all this in the car with ourselves, Kiba, all his other supplies like coat, food, toys, and our Thanksgiving dishes and rolling it all out in this house lol.

That is EXACTLY what we did last year. LOL!! :)

• Kiba0713Kiba0713
    We ordered the Midwest 24 x 30 metal pen for 40 bucks on Amazon and got the 2 day shipping. We also went to home depot and got a large sheet of eco-friendly vinyl thats meant to be put down when you're painting so hopefully this will do the trick. :)

I really appreciate all the responses, I'm glad we made the switch in plans. As a side note, the first one we tried to order didn't get processed, there was a problem, so it was like ok we're not going to get it in time anyway. =P
  • zandramezandrame
    Sounds good! :)

Just make sure the vinyl is strong enough to withstand digging claws and pointy corners like the pen/crate edges. The kind we got was the flooring kind they have on rolls in the back. It was a precut piece on sale - incredibly ugly but cheap!
  • Kiba0713Kiba0713
    Yeaaa we werent sure which one to get but its biodegradable and a bright green color lol and I think theres enough to double it over for sure.. It was like 3 bucks for 108 sq ft. We have time to grab something else if need be, maybe well put some down and see how it holds up. The funniest thing is we were told they werent worried about the carpet, just separating Kiba from the cat. So, I suppose the pen's the most important part.
    Post edited by Kiba0713 at 2013-11-21 20:53:46
  • zandramezandrame
    LOL, we got the same stuff to put under Kouda's first play mat as a pee barrier.
    I wouldn't say it is very durable on its own. (The mat here is a children's puzzle style foam play mat. It lasted a week before he thought it was fun to chew up. Not recommended.)

Here's his travel setup with the cheapy vinyl. It was still fairly thin, but withstood him pretty well. But after some repeated use transporting the setup from my brother's house to the hotel, the edge of the pen by the door would get caught on a wrinkle and it finally tore (my fault). We discarded it after we got home, but it served it's purpose!

I can't quite tell, but it looks like in @Kira_Kira's pics that they have a blanket in the pen. This would probably work better than the green thin stuff. (Kira always has the craziest patterned stuff! Those spiders, wow!)
  • Kiba0713Kiba0713
    Yeah the plan is definitely to put a blanket on top I just wanted to make sure we had a waterproof layer. If we lay out the blanket entirely over the vinyl and put the pen on top of the blanket maybe he wont even get to it. He loves to 'dig' through blankets but maybe with the pen on top it wont happen. Its a one day trip we're not staying overnight etc so hopefully this will do for now. :)
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    @zandrame - Yes, it is a blanket with black widow spiders. I have a weird infatuation with all things dark, creepy, and Halloween-related. I bought nearly ALL of Petco's clearanced dog toys (that were 75% off score!) as Kira's Christmas presents this year. We will have a "Nightmare Before Christmas" at our house. :)
    imageimage

Post edited by Kira_Kira at 2013-11-21 23:02:40
  • Kiba0713Kiba0713
    Happy thanksgiving all- Wanted to thank everyone again for their responses to my questions and report that we made it there and back in one piece. Kiba had a bit of a tough day- he got car sick on the way there and puked on his small blanket.

In preparation for the day, we set up his pen on Saturday when it arrived, and left it open so he could come and go and explore it. He spent a lot of time in there over the past few days, and we eventually put him in there with it locked a couple of times. While we were at the house today he whined a lot if we left him in the pen, because the space they allowed us to put him was a little separate from where we spent most of the day, but we came back to see him and pick him up frequently, walked around holding him for a while, sat with him in our laps, and took him outside of course.

We even left Jesse's scarf in the pen with him because we thought he might feel better with something that smelled like him. He got a new plush turkey toy and some turkey & cranberry flavored biscuits. :)

Didn't wind up using the vinyl we bought, since there wasn't carpeting like we thought there would be. We did however bring a duffel bag full of supplies lol.

• SayaSaya
    Glad it went well.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Success! It's a nice, tall playpen, too.
    imageimage

• Kiba0713Kiba0713

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)