For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Grandmother's dog hurt my 11 week old Shiba puppy..... :'( !!!! Please help.....
  • Post edited by sunyata at 2013-11-19 10:19:45
  • zandramezandrame
    Of course it's traumatic to have your puppy injured, but in this case it doesn't seem like he was seriously hurt. You didn't mention having to pry off the other dog, so I don't think it was malicious. Probably just an accident. Facial injuries bleed easily, but you don't see a wound? I remember when my old dogs played rough and my boy got a cut on his ear... He was fine but there was blood everywhere. :(

Puppies learn boundaries and bite inhibition through experiences like this. But it is important to always monitor interactions, especially if the dogs are not evenly matched or not that familiar with each other. It could be the case that your pup was getting too intense and the other dog reprimanded him. A play break is usually a good idea when this happens.

How did the other dog behave after you appeared? Did you let them reconcile? Was this his first interaction with another dog?

It's also important not to baby him too much, or read too much into his feelings. He was probably exhausted after playing and ready to sleep. He wasn't taking it out on you. But you also shouldn't let him walk all over you and "decide" things like where he gets to sleep, etc. He will only get more demanding as he gets bigger. Puppies need boundaries and routines, and you are the source of everything good.

However! If you see him limping or otherwise sensitive to touch over the next few days, take him to a vet just in case to rule out any unseen injuries.
  • Kiba0713Kiba0713
    I think zandrame made good points and I also sympathize with wanting to share what happened since I'm sure it was stressful for you. Something similar happened with Kiba the other day and I realized that the other dog (a neighboor dog he's played with many times happily) had knocked out Kiba's first baby tooth. Sounds like Yoshi is okay. :)
  • JuniJuni
    Puppies will scream when they think they are about to get hurt or if they are upset about the other dog winning the game too. Since noone saw what happened it is hard to tell what went on. I wouldn't baby him too much afterwards as it could add to the experience that something really bad happened to him. Next time they meet take them for a walk first to see their reactions to each other and supervise them.
    I don't see anything wrong with letting him sleep where he wants to, it is natural to move around and find different sleeping spots. If he doesn't take the opportunity to chew on anything forbidden or go potty there it is fine.
  • jennjenn
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
  • BootzBootz
    I would like to second what INU RYUU said about shibas being drama queens. Just keep an eye on your puppy to avoid any mishaps and to ensure he gets positive socialization :)
  • BootzBootz
    LOL. Jackie actually got that all the time when she was a puppy. She's another dog :)
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)