For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Home Made dog food. I'm starting to do this! Worried about nutrients.
  • roxanneroxanne
    While Django was ill, the vet recommended a very bland diet. Cooked meat and white rice. I really enjoyed cooking for Mr. Mooshy, and now I'm looking into continuing, now that he's well. I have the Pitcairn book, but it's sort of out of date, and I am so concerned about getting him the nutrients he needs. Does anyone have good advice for me? PS, I'm not really into the raw diet. I am thinking about giving him dry food in the morning, (Organic Castor and Polux Organix grain free).... and then a nice home made dinner at night. Do any of you do this? I was thinking the dry food would supplement any missing nutrients from the home made meal.
    I saw a few other threads around the home made subject, but none of them really dealt with specifics... and mostly were about raw food diets.
    I want recipes and ideas about the nutrients.
    Thanks!
    Rox
  • I believe that @tsukitsune used to do home cooked, non-raw meals for her pups.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • roxanneroxanne
    I decided to feed him a good quality Organic dog food, too. I figured if I'm going to go processed at all I'm going to do it as good quality as possible. He isn't as interested in the dry food now that he knows he's getting human food later... I wish I could make every meal home made but I'm concerned about getting him everything he needs. Thanks for the feedback, Shiba folk!
  • SayaSaya
  • amtiamti
    My mom made food for her dog when her dog became paralyzed. She used a little bit of dog food, but mostly meats, rice, eggs and oatmeal. She also gave Millie veggies- cooked broccoli, carrots, cabbage, tofu, kabocha and some other stuff.
  • Thanks for the great ideas and links! I feel more empowered now...
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    Post edited by INU RYUU at 2013-11-02 22:48:15
  • BootzBootz
    @INU RYUU ohhhh! I might give that a try. Been doing kibble/raw chicken/ premade patties. That would help with my raw transition
  • SayaSaya
  • esilenna_6esilenna_6
    Hi everyone! Just wanted to thank you for posting all of this great info.

My boyfriend, who's a chef, wants to start preparing meals for our 8 month old Haku and I was feeling uncomfortable about it because I'm worried about our puppy getting enough nutrients. But I might just do as some of you said and feed him kibble in the morning and home-cooked in the evening.

If I feed him kibble, should I still get him a raw bone to chew on maybe once a week for his teeth?

Thanks again!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)