For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Ever tried howling at your shibe?
  • Recently I discovered that if Louie and I are in different parts of the house and I make a howling noise, he will come running over ASAP, lick my hands/face, and generally check me over. He doesn't howl back but does look very concerned and has sometimes jumped into my lap just to lick my face.

Has anyone ever tried this and gotten a similar reaction? Maybe he thinks I am calling him to rejoin the pack or telling him I am in trouble - either way I am wondering if I can keep using this as a fun way to do recall instead of "come!" but I also don't want keep crying wolf (literally) and make the howl less effective over time - it's just so much fun!

[changed category ~mod.]
    Post edited by curlytails at 2013-10-22 22:27:09
  • DrySeDrySe
    If I howl than Plue will howl back and come running over. Tsuki just looks in the general direction and may or may not come over. It definitely grabs their attention and depending on what I am doing it usually makes them want to play :)
  • tatonkatatonka
    Your Shiba might be a bit like mine. For Tatonka there is a narrow range of "normal" human behaviors and howling, crying, shouting, laughing too much, etc. falls outside of that. He comes over and checks up if you're doing anything of these things, then licks you after verifying that you in fact are actually you.
    Monkey!
  • When I'm tuning my mandolin's high E strings, Kaze will howl in the same key. When I'm shredding on my electric guitar Kaze will howl as well. The last time he did it he had his favorite toy squid-bunny in his mouth and howling at the same time.

Cutest. Thing. Ever.
  • RikkaRikka
    Haha. If I make any sort of noise that isn't typically normal, Sagan will most def check it out. Usually he's not amused by it, but it's a quick way to get his attention. :P
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • RAM25RAM25
    I first noticed this with Snoz when I had a friend over who snorts when she laughs, I noticed Snoz do a huge head tilt and become suspicious of her. After she left I tried making snorting noises, Snoz started jumping towards me and back snapping and running away when I came near her! Too funny. If I mimick her Chewbacca noises she'll start 'talking' a lot and get angry (I must be saying something offensive!) Any out of the ordinary human noise upsets her and makes her suspicious. I havent tried howling yet but I might soon!
  • My 11 week old puppy Maiko will come sit right by us if we howl....then she howls...a little game we play...my husband likes to use his predator call machine to see what she will do...she doesn't quite know what to think of the sounds that come out of it....pretty funny!!
  • ShibaLoveShibaLove
    Oh man, my shibas are super tolerant of any weird noises, movements, and so on because they live with me! I am crazy goofy in my house. I have tried howling, even playing videos of dogs or wolves howling and they won't howl back. I give them raspberries, not phased. I make crazy dinosaur noises, they look at me to make sure I'm not dead but that's about it.
  • I have not tried, but will first thing tomorrow am...it's too late now:)

Koji makes a very strange primal cry/howl noise if I squeeze squeaky toys...if I squeeze over and over he'll start out with a soft whine, then progress into a loud cry/squeal border scream...that turns into a ear piercing "aaahhhhh" cry..he gets hyper and runs around...different than the shiba scream

It cracks me up so much - but then I worry if he's full of anxiety? He appears to not be able to control it...so I don't do it very often or for very long...He's very well adjusted so hopefully it hasn't done him any harm...
  • BearsDadBearsDad
    I have tried, but Bear just gives me that look like he is saying "what the hell is wrong with you?" LOL The only time he howls is when our local fire department siren goes of
  • RikkaRikka
    So... I tried howling this morning to see what his response would be, and he immediately darted over to me and started barking. Not a "haha, play with me!" bark, but more of a, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING. STOP." bark.

Sagan is not amused.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    I've never tried howling at Kobe, but I took him to visit my friends Sibe this eve. Max(Sibe) howled at Kobe. Kobe responded by crouching down, then pouncing on him!

Who says dogs can't talk!!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • AWE46M3AWE46M3
    Yeah, my dog will just look at my like I'm stupid and continue doing whatever he was doing.
  • My last dog was a great Queensland Blue Heeler Mix who would howl when I would howl. I've always loved getting a group of dogs together and just start howling to see who the howlers were. If you keep going, eventually you could get all the dogs howling...super funny.
  • JuniJuni
    My boyfriend has tried howling but Juni just thought he was silly. Otherwise she's like @tatonka, there are a lot of noises and moves that she thinks are stupid and abnormal and she highly dislikes. She will tell me off or run up to me and lick me.
  • WendyNCWendyNC
    We have a Golden Retriever who howls (he never go the memo that Goldens don't do that). Naturally, Keiko learned to howl with him. Now we have a foster Golden who apparently also didn't get the memo. When the three of them get going, usually right after we go to bed, it's quite a racket. So, enough howling in our house already, without me adding to it.
  • spacedogsspacedogs
    So I know this is an old thread but it caught my attention! I hope there's no forum policy about posting in old threads.

I wanted to teach Laika to sing so I howled at her. I did this for a few minutes "Can you sing, Laika? Sing! Hoooowwwwwwwlll!", and she would just look at me with a what the hell are you doing lady kind of expression on her face.

I did this a couple of times over the course of a week and finally one day she howled back! I was SO excited and happy that my excitement actually scared her, and sadly now whenever I ask her to sing she looks at me, flicks her ears, gives me a grumbly "wrrufff" under her breath and walks away. LOL.

• imBLASIANimBLASIAN
    lol @Spacedogs - We try using ambulence sirens on youtube to try to get her to howl by treating her, and she did it at first, but now she just side-eyes us

Also, its preferred to bump up old threads than have a billion new ones on the same topic!
  • MoxyFruvousMoxyFruvous
    Tang LOOOOVES howling. If we howl at him, he does it back. Here is a silly video of him howling at a video of himself howling. haha http://terracepets.tumblr.com/post/131546566397/it-gets-better-or-worse
  • spacedogsspacedogs
    LOL ohmigod Moxy that's AMAZING and I'm so jealous! I played your video for Laika and she gruffed at it and walked away hahaha!
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    My Quakey does an adorable "hello howl" to his favorite human friends. They love it because they say he makes them feel special!
  • NikkitineNikkitine
    @MoxyFruvous - That is super adorable!! And such a cute howl! Tali's howl sounds like a cross between an angry goat that's gurgling water and a drowning gremlin...it's doesn't sound pretty at all!
  • MoxyFruvousMoxyFruvous
    haha Thanks ya'll! I was always told Shiba's don't howl and Moxy never did. But Tang sure does. He wags his tail like crazy when its howl time ( when my husband gets home from work) It started last year when we were out for a drive. a firetruck went by and he howled at it, so then I started howling at him and he got it. I think my favorite thing is playing wolves on the TV. He howls at them too. We were watching some clip from the Twilight movie... it was a scene with a pack of wolves and thats all it took.
  • pyleapylea
    Pylea seems to only howl after I leave for work in the mornings. She sounds like a wolf howling... or like a human imitating a wolf howling... it's actually super eery and sad. :(
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Ozzy's the same as Pylea. I have a few vids on the "security cam" app we use to check on him when we leave. He sounds so saaaad. :(
  • spacedogsspacedogs
    The sad howl is so heartbreaking. :( When we first got Rhyz and had to rush him outside in the morning for a pee Laika would sit at the door and cry/howl that the baby was outside without her. She did it twice, and it's the only time she has ever howled since I scared the bejeezus out of her with my excitement lol, but it's such a sad and despairing sound. :(
  • willgrahamwillgraham
    I've tried to get Winston to howl, but he just... won't. I did get him to learn to speak by barking at him until he barked back, which took a while since he mostly just looked at me like I was crazy. Even got him to say "hello" too! It seems really difficult for him though, like at first he'll start mouthing it out, then just push air out, and finally vocalizes. Of course, he has no problem "talking" at me when he wants attention/to go out - I talked back to him a few times and he got so mad at me, lol. He's pretty quiet most of the time, though.
  • KariVelaKariVela
    Tried howling at my Ashi - she just gets hyper & excited & starts biting . Or doing the cute tilt head thing - I love it. I wish she did howl. When I was a kid ' I use to get my aunts dog to howl by doing it low so she wouldn't hear me and think the dog is freaking out for nth. lol

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)