For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Yum yum, hibiscus buds anyone?
  • tatonkatatonka
    My boy has been secretly eating up hibiscus buds in between naps in the yard. There are other plants but he doesn't touch any of them (except for grass, which I've seen plenty of other dogs eat). He seems to enjoy it so I was inclined to let him continue doing it, but anyone aware of any adverse health risks? His poops are solid and I almost always shed a tear out of pride when picking them up after he goes. Besides being not particularly thrilled of cuddling, he seems more or less "normal". Thanks!

[changed category ~mod.]
    Monkey!
    Post edited by curlytails at 2013-10-14 23:47:32
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Here's the best I could come up with!

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/can-hibiscus-flowers-hurt-dogs-eat-blooms-71517.html

Sounds like there is one variety that can be toxic.

Handsome lad, btw!!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • Hmmm....I wonder. Since hibiscus of the tropical variety is widely used in teas and beverages for humans, and is in fact a super good source of vitamin c and other vitamins, is it just one of those things like grapes that dogs can't eat? Or is this toxicity of the super cautious variety?

(my dogs show no interest in our hibiscus, thankfully, which is good because I have a hard enough time keeping these plants alive!)

I guess if it were me, if it didn't seem to have averse effects, I wouldn't worry too much, though I'd also be wanting to protect my plant.
  • tatonkatatonka
    Dang, @Kobe1468 you found a good article! Thx. I'll have to check what kind it is.

shibamistress, hehe lucky you
    Monkey!
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    @totonka

Regardless of the variety- It's a good idea not to let him eat it. The leaves seem to me to be more like H. Rosa Sinenis and not H. Syriacus. However, I am not 100% since there are so many cultivars.

Does the flower look like the tropical variety? H. Sinensis
    photo Unknown_zpsa6e93c4b.jpeg

or

H. Syriacus
    photo images_zps8865b810.jpeg

As an non-serious aside could the reason he has been eating them because of the results of this study?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17688164
    犬竜
  • tatonkatatonka
    Quoting: http://homeguides.sfgate.com/can-hibiscus-flowers-hurt-dogs-eat-blooms-71517.html
    The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals specifically lists the hardy hibiscus, Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus), as toxic to your canine companions if ingested, although the flowers are considered generally safe for humans to eat, according to the University of Arkansas, Division of Agriculture Research & Extension. Rose of Sharon grows in USDA zones 5 through 8. The reason why this and other hibiscus are toxic to dogs is unknown.

@INU RYUU my plant looks like H. Simensis which should be ok - well at least it's not specifically named as toxic, although in the last sentence it says "this and other hibiscus", so I'm not sure.

Also, do you think the study would apply since he is neutered? I'm sure he wish he could regrow his balls but he won't :P

He hasn't vomitted or shown any signs of sickness, apart from being forlorn sometimes but that's likely because of no doggie daycare after a whole year and a half of having went daily.

Either way, you guys are right. I'm going to make sure he knows to stay off. Otherwise I'll fence it out or remove it.
    Monkey!
    Post edited by tatonka at 2013-10-14 22:23:23
  • @tatonka

Here's the toxic/non toxic plant list from the ASPCA:
    http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants

I'm pretty sure that Hibiscus is generally considered a no-no for dogs. Think I looked it up at one point, when I was redoing the landscaping in the dog run. I have it elsewhere, but not where my dogs generally roam. Maybe you should transplant it.
  • tatonkatatonka
    @sukoshi's mom, the ASPCA page specifically mentions H. syriacus but not H. simensis which I have).
    http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants/hibiscus

I gave the plant to a friend of mine who doesn't have pets :P

Monkey!
  • amtiamti
    That's a good outcome! At least now the plant can grow some pretty flowers for all to enjoy!
  • BootzBootz
    I miss the Tatonka :(
  • tatonkatatonka
    @Bootz I think there will be some serious airplane ears/jumping frenzy next time Tatonka runs into you.
    Monkey!
  • BootzBootz
    Haha :) Does he still hop on VW beetles?
  • tatonkatatonka
    @Bootz, he will climb up the side of any parked VW beetle he sees, then go around and try to clumb up the back (did Bootz and him ride in the back?). He ignores the older design beetles, though.
    Monkey!
  • BootzBootz
    @Tatonka, Yup. I miss the little fellow! Maybe you can drop him off next time you need the night out ;)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)