For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Dogs as 'persons', with emotions?
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Post edited by curlytails at 2014-04-25 21:12:11
  • knnwangknnwang
    Be for I read the links. I would like to remind everyone Shiba Inus' are dogs...
  • RikkaRikka
  • natashanatasha
    Both articles were interesting and made some valid points. While most of us realize our dogs aren't human, those of us who live with these wonderful animals rather than using them as lawn ornaments out in the back yard, have realized long ago that they're a lot smarter and more complex than the "dumb animal" view some people have of dogs. I welcome any study that attempts to educate people as to the fact that dogs and other animals are sentient beings and not just bags of instinct, although their instincts definitely play a large role in their development. My shiba may not be human but she's definitely a fully fledged member of my family and a canine person in her own right :o3
  • redcattooredcattoo
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
  • BootzBootz
    When i saw the title of the thread...I thought somebody was like me and think dogs should be counted as "persons" for carpool purposes. :-))
  • kalicokalico
    My company just did an article on it too. Nothing new in terms of info, but Emory did allow us to post their video:
    http://www.mnn.com/family/pets/stories/dogs-have-capacity-for-emotion-study-finds

I think that the research is really interesting, but to consider dogs as "people" is a farfetched. What I do hope though, is that this research is used to help further protect dogs from neglect and abuse and make harsher punishments for those that choose to harm them. I've had many people here in Georgia say "you're giving dogs too much credit, they're just dogs". Research like this can come to help make people see them for what we know they are. Not humans, but loving companions that are much smarter than most give them credit for.
  • amtiamti
    I may be in the minority here, but I've always thought my dogs were very similar to young toddlers. They act and think so much like young toddlers. They are extremely smart and learn to understand me when I speak to them. They sense my sadness, and know when I'm happy. They understand what it is that I want them to do, and what they are not supposed to do. The more time I spend with them, the more they learn. I know they are not humans, but they definitely have a place in my heart alongside my children and family members.
  • JuniJuni
    It could be the other way around, people are actually dogs! :D
    Aren't there many studies out there on many species, confirming they have a wide range of emotions, so this is not a characteristic confined to humans.
    I remember reading years ago about a study on cows where they found that the brain activity increased in the part of the brain that controls feeling happiness when the cows managed to solve a problem!!!
    In this case it was about how to open the door to their booth and get out from the barn.
    I love it, problem solving happy cows!
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
  • tatonkatatonka
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
  • knnwangknnwang
    Lol; tatonka brings up an interesting point. My Shiba has demonstrated behavior that feels like he's a raceist and evil. Idk. :D
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
  • RikkaRikka
  • tatonkatatonka
    Post edited by tatonka at 2013-10-14 22:41:12
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
  • JuniJuni
    You beat me to it @kobe1468 I was just about to post it!
  • knnwangknnwang
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
  • poltergeistpoltergeist
  • poltergeistpoltergeist
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Post edited by Kira_Kira at 2014-04-26 09:11:53

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)