For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Acana duck and Bartlett pear question
  • So our shiba is currently on Orijen puppy but her stool is a little soft. It has 38% protein (their old formula was 40%). I want to switch her to acana for the lower protein.

I was reading their protein levels and in a little rush and I picked up the duck and Bartlett pear (25% protein). I totally didn't realize it wasn't grain free. It doesn't contain corn and all that crap, but does have an oat (which makes up all it's grain content).

The regular grain free acana is 31% protein (so down from 38% but up from 25%). My question is I guess do you think this will be okay containing some grain? My goal was grain free (and plan to switch next bag). My pet store will take it back and exchange if I want but figured I'd thought I'd ask in case anyone else has done so...

• lindsaytlindsayt
    This formula was more intended to be a single source protein and carb (I thought) for dogs with sensitivities.

You may want to just swap it for the other Acana, but I see no reason why a Shiba should eat grain free over something like this, unless there is a problem with runny stools or specific allergies to certain grains. Does your dog have allergies?
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    I feed Acana Pacifica right now, but for one dog I do give the Chicken and Burbank Potato because of the lower protein level. I switch back and forth at times, and he has no issues when I do.
  • I just checked Acana's website. It says that duck & bartlett pear is intended for dogs with some allergy problems or dogs needing for low glycemic carbohydrate source. As lindsayt previously mentioned, it is a good idea to exchange to another bag of kibbles. I feed my dog Wild Prairie, which has about 31% protein. He has been doing well with this. I also mix the kibbles with the dehydrated food made by Honest Kitchen. I personally haven't tried other Acana products other than Wild Prairie.
  • millerb7millerb7
    Nope no allergies. Was just a mis-read on my part regarding the grain.

Maybe I'll swap it out today. Who's 7% protein make much of a diff though? Orijen puppy is 38% and acana grain free is 31%.
  • SayaSaya
    Saya's home made treats have oats they don't need them I can just use flour, but I find half oats and half buckwheat flour in it. Saya did fine with them.

Saya has had this food as a puppy her breeder fed it so I got a bag to feed and then switched to wellness puppy.
    http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/chicken-soup-dog-lovers-soul-dry/

Wellness puppy has oatmeal, ground barley, brown rice.. Saya did good on that.
    http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/product-details.aspx?pet=dog&pid=56#ingredients

Grains are not too bad unless dog is sensitive to it.

Yeah things like corn isn't good and some dogs have wheat sensitivities.

Saya has iron gut though. haha

Bella has eaten fromm's pork kibble with grain.
    http://frommfamily.com/products/four-star/dog/dry/pork-applesauce

I think the issue with grains is quality of it. Good ones have good ingredients not gluten and by products of grains or corn..

Bella didn't do well on wellness super5mix puppy kibble so had to switch.

There is now grain free kibble line.

I always do a slow transition to a new kibble that the dogs haven't had before.

Saya is raw fed now so she gets varied diet daily, one day she gets chicken liver, ground beef, next she gets chicken drumstick and beef tongue and day after that honest kitchen zeal and a egg.

She gets various kibble for treats.

Whatever works for your dog orijen can be bit rich for some dogs. Not every dog does good on every kibble.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • millerb7millerb7
    Do other folks see a difference with the 7% decrease in protein? That just doesn't seem like a big decrease. Maybe it's enough to harden up the stool though some.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @millerb7 - Sometimes with food issues (sensitivity to high protein, allergies, etc.), it is trial and error. I would say try it and see what happens. As long as your pup does not have food allergies, you might want to try to decrease the protein in steps to see what percentage works best for her.

This is why there are so many different brands and types of (higher quality) foods. Some foods work better for one dog while other foods may cause digestive upsets. It all depends on the food and the dog in question.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    7% is a big difference, and it does make a big difference in stools and in urine IME.
  • BearsDadBearsDad
    We noticed a big difference when we made the switch, we have not had runny stool and upset tummy since switching.
  • millerb7millerb7
    Thanks guys... I think today I'm going to return the Acana duck and barlett pear and pick up wild prairie and then start to slowly transition from the orijen to that. She doesn't have runny stool any longer but it is def. on the softer side and I think it's due to the higher protein level. I just didn't know if 7% would make any difference but after reading some of the comments I'll def. give it a go and see if the stool hardens up some going from Orijen to Acana.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    I would do a direct switch if it were my dog. It's the same company and ingredients.
  • One of mine did not tollerate the duck formula. I think she just has an allergy to poultry because she doesn't do well on chicken either. They both do well on all the other Acana formulas though.

If your dog doesn't have a grain allergy, I wouldn't worry too much about keeping their diet grain free. I rotate Acana flavors with my dogs since they seem to get bored with one thing all the time. They don't seem to have any issues with it not being transitioned since it's all Acana.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)