For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Help! Halo is Missing! [Update: Found]
  • HaloHalo
    Please, please, any of you guys that live in Detroit area, Halo went missing around 2am tonight when she was let out to go potty. She suddenly gave chase after some critter, and caused my fiance to drop the leash. She was last seen at the back of the Spring Apartments on Pontiac trail near Walled Lake. We spent 4 hours looking for her, and now making posters, and I am calling around to animal shelters in the morning to let them know I am missing my dog and to contact me if they find her. I don't know what else to do. I feel as if my heart got ripped in two. =( My baby is out there somewhere and I cant find her. I will try to get a most current photo of her up here, but for now she look the sam as she she was a puppy, just taller and skinnier. Markings on her legs are the same.

[changed category ~mod.]
    Post edited by Calia at 2013-09-23 10:50:53
  • Oh no! This is heartbreaking news. Keeping my fingers crossed that something will turn up in the morning. And yes, pictures, contact info, a flyer with clear information will help. Is she chipped, with information up to date? She would still be dragging her leash, presumably -- with her tags still on?
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • HaloHalo
    Unfortunately, since she was only being let out to go potty, my fiance didn't put her collar on her, and since she doesn't have a chip, she has zero identification. I am really hoping when I go back out in the daylight I will be able to find her. I cant sleep or eat til I know she is ok.
  • I hope you find her quickly. :(
  • amtiamti
    I hope she is found and returned to you soon!
  • HaloHalo
    Thanks for your support. I really hope someone finds her and returns her. I am so lost without my baby. :((
  • HaloHalo
    If and when we find her, she is getting microchipped immediately, and no more retractable leash. That isn't the first time one of us has accidentally dropped it due to her deciding to bolt, the only difference is that she will most of the time come when I call her, but Grey, she isn't that good with.
  • I hope that she gets found soon, I'm sure someone will find her and put up found posters
  • jennjenn
    Oh no! I hope you find her quick. Please keep us updated!
    Jenn, Shiba Slave to Rigby / http://hellorigby.com
  • This makes me so sad.... saying prayers for you...
  • I'm so sorry! I hope Halo comes home soon!
  • HaloHalo
    Happy update! Halo managed to find her way home, and my fiance found her infront of our apartment when he came back from printing off flyers. I have no idea where she was for the 9 hours she was gone,(he found her around noon, and I didn't get a chance to update this until just now because I had to go straight to work) but she seems to be fine, no visible injuries, but having vet check her out tomorrow if possible just to make sure. Just so happy and relieved right now.
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    Prayers answered!

To quell my own paranoia my Shiba are chipped, ruff wear webmaster harness, collar with tags, Tagg pettracker and bungee cord type leash for when they lunge after something.

Great to hear the good news!!!!

BTW, you might want to update the thread title to Halo Found
    犬竜
    Post edited by INU RYUU at 2013-09-22 19:02:15
  • YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • jennjenn
    Woohoo! So happy to hear that @halo!
    Jenn, Shiba Slave to Rigby / http://hellorigby.com
    Post edited by jenn at 2013-09-22 19:29:30
  • :D so happy to hear this :D that's awesome and I agree with the ruffwear harness those things look inescapable and I plan to get one myself
  • Wow great news! Was she still dragging the leash around?
  • SayaSaya
    Halo said:

If and when we find her, she is getting microchipped immediately, and no more retractable leash. That isn't the first time one of us has accidentally dropped it due to her deciding to bolt.

So glad she was found! :)
    Yeah microchip is good especially if dog somehow escapes with no id tag.

Another member here had issue like that with flexi leash I forgot exactly what happened, but they accidental dropped the leash the shiba got scared and kept running even released her anal glands. :(

Luckily she got the leash caught on something.

Flexi leashes are nice, but can cause issues if dropped on cement or whatever.
    So glad she was found and came back to your apartment. I bet your happy she is back.
    INU RYUU said:

BTW, you might want to update the thread title to Halo Found

Edit button has been taken out due to abuse of it.

Though there might be time on it I think edit can be taken place for 1 day or maybe 1hour I forgot..

A mod can change title to Halo is found.

@Calia @Sunyata.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • HaloHalo
    Another member here had issue like that with flexi leash I forgot exactly what happened, but they accidental dropped the leash the shiba got scared and kept running even released her anal glands.

Yah, Halo freaks out by the noice if the handle is dropped on pavement. Needless to say, the handle is hardly usable due to the apparent trip it had...all scuffed and chipped up everywhere.
    Taking Halo to the vet at 2. So happy they could get me in today. Have to say though, she never lost the harness or the leash. I was suprised, thought she would get caught into something and wiggle her way out of the harness.
  • BootzBootz
    @Halo, make sure you have a talk with your fiance. Flexi lead or regular lead....it doesn't matter. He should be holding the leash correctly, and should not have dropped it. Also, should try to work on desensitizing Halo. I've trained Bootz and Jackie so that if the leash drops, they will stay still and wait until I pick it up before continuing on our walk.

Glad she's home :)
  • amtiamti
    Bootz makes a good point about desensitizing a dog from the dragging leash. A dog could get spooked from just a regular leash dragging too, or something getting caught on the leash. Kaji is used to the retractable leash dragging because I usually have the dogs leashed when I realize I need to grab my phone or something before we walk. He'll usually follow me around the house with the leash dragging over tile and carpeted areas until we head out the door.
  • I agree with Bootz

We trained Bear in this as well, it was quite easy, started off in grass and clipped his long lead to him as well as his retractable 10' lead, then we just let him drag it around in the grass and he moved on to pavement. Now he is to the point where he could care less what is going on with the lead.
  • wliu003wliu003
    Wow that's great news! I'm always paranoid about her off leash in unfenced areas because I feel like she would just keep running too.

• GemmaGemma
    So glad Halo was found! When I take Laika out she has two collars on, her flat leather collar for the lead to be attached to and a choker with extra tags :) It's a precaution incase she ever gets spooked and manages to slip her leather collar. She'll still have her collar with identification on! :) Can never have too many ID tags ;)
  • @Gemma I would highly suggest switching away from a flat collar to a martingale or harness for walking. She's much less likely to slip those. In my opinion, walking a Shiba on a normal flat collar is basically asking for an escape. They're just too easy to slip.

I also would suggest that the idea of ID tags on a choker isn't such a great idea. Chokers, when loose, are easier to slip than a flat collar and they are also more likely to cause great damage if caught on something---what if she escapes, then while lost gets her choker caught on something without you to help her? She could end up hanged rather than coming safely back home.
  • sunyatasunyata
    Gemma said:

When I take Laika out she has two collars on, her flat leather collar for the lead to be attached to and a choker with extra tags.

Oh please say you are not leaving a choke collar on your Shiba full time... WITH tags attached!??!

That is incredibly dangerous on multiple accounts. @notoriousscrat has mentioned why, but I will reiterate that you should perhaps keep her tags on a standard tag collar instead of a choke collar. I also second the walking on a martingale or harness instead of a flat collar.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • HaloHalo
    @Gemma

Instead of doing two collars, why not switch to a harness and keep the regular collar on for identification? That is what I do with Halo. Just need to make sure the harness fits right or otherwise they can get out of them. I speak from experience. The harness also keeps them from chocking when pulling on the lead.

**if you still want two set of identification on her, the harness does have a ring where you can attach extra tags =)
    Post edited by Halo at 2013-09-25 11:45:28
  • wufanwufan
    It happened to me. My shiba got caught by the bushes with the leash stuck around the tree, That's how I found him. Retractable leashes are good for puppies I always thought so but ... Anyway after switching to a regular leash, never had a problem. I think you need to do that first.
  • GemmaGemma
    @notoriousscrat @sunyata I say I walk her with the choker on, but to be honest I actually haven't done that for a while, she won a free rolled leather collar at a dog show so I moved them onto that :) And while I understand the reasons for walking her with a harness or martingale, my personal preference is to not. She does have both a harness and a martingale but I choose to walk her on her flat leather for a number of reasons. Other shiba owners I've met in the UK at arranged meets, the majority also choose to walk their dogs on flat collars and most on flexi leads (which I know can be a controversial topic on here).

And just to point out, I didn't leave her choker on all the time, it was only when we were going for walks. And the only reason I had the choker was because it was the only thing in store that wouldn't matt her fur. It wasn't a forever purchase, it was the only thing closest to what I was looking for at the time available for purchase :) And although there were risks involved with her wearing it, I figured I'd take the risk and I'd rather her have identification on, over risking her getting it caught on a bush. (There are literally no bushes around where I live)
  • @Gemma, just curious to know if you weren't using the choker on all the time why you couldn't just use a 2nd flat collar for the ID tags if you wanted not only the collar with the lead attached and a 2nd ID collar. Why at that point make the 2nd collar a choker that can get hung up on something and unlike a martingale can tighten even tighter than a very firm fitting martingale at full closure. I am not sure I understood your logic to using an actual choker for her ID tags or why not a martingale or 2nd flat collar for the ID tags over a choker if you really prefer the flat collar for attaching the lead and still having a back up ID collar also on.
    Post edited by redcattoo at 2013-09-26 15:39:52

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (3)