For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Upcoming conferences, seminars and webinars
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    I thought it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to posting info on upcoming educational seminars/webinars and conferences.

I'm always keeping my eye out for ways to educate myself on cognition/behavioral issues. Webinars, especially, are great, and many are free!

Here's one I think will interest many. A webinar conducted by Patricia McConnell on canine behavior and acoustics. Learn how your dog is effected by noises in its environment, and how your own voice effects a dogs ability to respond to/ follow commands.
    Very interesting!!
    Please note, this webinar is through the ASPCA, and will be available to everybody, for free, on Sept. 13, according to McConnell's website.

http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/aspca-webinar-canine-behavior-and-acoustics

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • XabiXabi
    Nice! Thanks for updating us with these details.
    X & I signature smaller
  • SayaSaya
    photo DSC_0122_zps9a562bff.jpg
    Wolfpark in battleground Indiana do seminars on wolves and also on dogs too. Each year is different and sometimes have special events so always good to check site if needed.

http://wolfpark.org/education/seminars/

Even if a seminar isn't being held visiting can be fun and educational they do Q/A for wolves and they have coyotes, bison, and fox(red fox and three young gray fox).

Holiday events can be fun too each one is different Halloween they give jack o lantern full of goodies, watermelon in July 4th etc.

They sometimes do other educational stuff like photography talks.

Or talks from people like Doug smith. The talk was very informative on the Yellowstone wolves.

The store also has dvds of seminars from ray Coppinger.

Thanks for making this thread it is good idea.

Pics are from Doug Smith talk he covered a lot on wolves in Yellowstone taging them for study and this is big wolf here! hehe
    photo DSC_0124_zps9c110563.jpg
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Thx for the Wolf Park info Saya. I would absolutely love to do the three day 'comparing and contrasting wolves and dogs' seminar.

Wolf Park is such a great concept and a great research tool. I'd love to make it down there someday!
  • SayaSaya
    Plus the main pack enclosure is big! sometimes the wolves comes over and others they rather sleep and stay cool in shade during hot times.

One time they separated the younger wolf due to health issue needing to have surgery and the wolves mostly hanged by the pen he was in.

The wolf park always open to questions. :) They have FB page too.
    https://www.facebook.com/WolfParkIN

They once had a wolf dog the story was he had bitten a boy who wandered close to him. He was on a tie out and you know how that goes. Dog can't run away and feels threatened etc.

Mom wanted him dead. Mr.Klinghammer said that he would serve better purpose living his life at the wolf park so they can tell the tale of what had happened to him and the boy or something like that I forgot the exact thing. I got it recorded somewhere on my pc..

That happened long time ago and the wolf dog has passed away.

The place is big on education and the wolves are raised around humans so they don't run in hide when there is big crowd so you can get a good look at them.

They have fox too for those fox lovers. hehe two different kinds now red and gray.

Sorry for long post.. haha
    Photobucket
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468

Don't forget about the FREE ASPCA WEBINAR!

Canine Behavior and Acoustics

Thursday, September 12, 2013
    3:00 - 4:00pm ET

This live, 60-minute webinar is open to all animal
    welfare professionals and volunteers, including foster
    parents. If you don't fall under any of these categories,
    don't worry! The recorded webinar will be available the
    following day, September 13, and is free to everyone.

• Kobe1468Kobe1468
    This is mainly for anybody in Ontario, Western Quebec and even upstate NY...

Dr. Chris Zink will be doing a two day seminar on 'Canine Form and Function', November 9-10 in Ottawa.

This seminar should interest anybody into conformation, dog sports, people wanting to learn about dog form, in regards to picking out a healthy puppy, and(for me anyways), interested in dogs in general.

Dr. Zink is well known for her dog athletics, and also has some very strong views on spay/neutering practices. Should be interesting.

I'm planning on going, as Kobe's breeder is in Ottawa. Hoping he can play with his sister and meet some other relatives as well!

Here's the link, including reg. form.

http://thetraininghall.com/CZink.pdf

• Kobe1468Kobe1468
    The info for the 2014 SPARCS conference is beginning to leak out. It sounds like topics covered will be more specific to the average dog owner.

Day 1- Aggression vs. Conflict Behaviour

Day2- Temperament and Personality

Day3- Applying Science in Training

Speakers to include, as of now:

S. Gadbois
    K. Lord
    P. McConnell
    J. Serpell
    M. Udell

And of course C. Wynne

JUNE 20-22
    Newport, RI

And again, they say it will be streamed live, for free!!
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    For anybody living in or around the Tempe, AZ area, I would highly recommend this, and it's free!

https://psychology.clas.asu.edu/lab/canine-science-collaboratory-wynne/going-dogs-evening-canine-science

Don't know if it will be streamed...I'll keep my eye on it.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Here's a confirmed list of speakers for SPARCS '14...

http://caninescience.info/speakers/

It's still a ways off (June 20-22), but I'm pretty excited. The topics sound like they will be more relevant to the average dog owner.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Kobe1468 said:

For anybody living in or around the Tempe, AZ area, I would highly recommend this, and it's free!

https://psychology.clas.asu.edu/lab/canine-science-collaboratory-wynne/going-dogs-evening-canine-science

Don't know if it will be streamed...I'll keep my eye on it.

UPDATE.....this will be streamed live for free. Just hit the webcast URL in the link.

It's Feb. 25, 5-7PM(I'm assuming this is Arizona time)
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    @Saya...thought of you when I saw this...

http://blog.wolfpark.org/?p=931
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    SPARCS '14....

Here's the daily breakdown of topics being discussed.

http://caninescience.info/topics/

These are some if the best minds in the field, and would encourage anybody interested in canine science and behaviour to tune in.... It will be streamed, once again, for FREE!!
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    This looks like a very interesting series.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/nature/inside-animal-minds.html
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Don't know if anybody caught the recent PBS series I posted above. Was excellent, and would recommend to watch for a replay. Highly educational.

Wanted to share a very good review of the '13 SPARCS conference....

http://lifeasahuman.com/2013/pets/dogs-the-best-friend-we-hardly-know/

Hopefully it will give a better understanding of what the SPARCS conf. is all about, and will get you excited for the 2014 conference(link to is posted earlier in this thread).

From all the cognition labs to the more recent MRI research, science is striving to give us a better understanding of our dogs. It can only help to strengthen our understanding and relationships with our dogs.

Edit...to correct spelling error.
    Post edited by Kobe1468 at 2014-04-26 23:53:41
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    A interview with SPARCS founder P. Breeden:

http://www.smallanimaltalk.com/2014/05/bringing-canine-science-to-world.html?m=1

Sorry...I keep talking up this conference, but I really believe in educating ourselves and believe in the cause behind SPARCS.
  • SayaSaya
    Yeah I know of Beth Duman I think she was at a speaking event once or maybe not I know they talked about her.

I need to go to one of these events.. been kinda of a crazy year. It's getting back to normal now though.

Wolf park is awesome. Love their educational stuff loved hearing Mr Klinghammer's talks he was very good at keeping your attention.
    Photobucket
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    https://twitter.com/caninescience/status/478377686801215488

Starts this Friday...countdown begins!
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I wish I were a little more familiar with twitter, that sounds interesting @Kobe1468
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    http://caninescience.info/events-2014/

Can get the schedule, speaker info, and FREE live stream from above website.

Starts this Friday with "Aggression" and Conflict. A topic that's talked about on this forum quite frequently.

Looking forward to McConnell dispelling the whole 'D' theory and misuse of 'aggression'.

This years conference, I believe, is more geared to the average dog owner, but of course will be science based. Hope those interested will get a chance to tune in now and again.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Did anybody tune in today? Just wondering how it was? I followed it via twitter(when I had a chance, crazy busy at work!).

Oh well, tomorrow is 'Personality and Temperment'. Should be very interesting and again, topics often discussed on the SIF!
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I was at work. I wanted to but the timing just wasn't right. What time is that one coming on tomorrow?
    imageimage

• Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Think it starts at 900AM with founder Prescott Breeden doing a presentation.
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    I watched some, but I was running around, so mostly what I caught was the barking part--barking as communication, which was interesting, but I'd hoped to catch the parts on aggression and didn't. I don't have a twitter account or follow it, but the twitter stuff was easy to read and I was able to catch some stuff of what was going on via twitter that was on the webpage, including updates from our own @Curlytails! (M.C.)

I'm going to try and catch some of it tomorrow too, though I have a solstice event planned, so will be a bit pressed for time.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Nice....I'm now following you @curlytails!

• Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Noticed there was a lot of mention of 'consciousness' in the discussions. Not a term I've heard of frequently in canine behaviour! Very interesting.

ETA:
    https://twitter.com/caninescience/status/480110235773046785
    Post edited by Kobe1468 at 2014-06-20 21:52:03
  • curlytailscurlytails
    @Kobe1468 It's because Ray Coppinger dropped a provocative bomb by stating right at the beginning of the talk that he didn't believe dogs were at all "conscious" of their behaviors. He's arguing that basically every canine behavior has a structural (I think that's the term he used?), evolutionary, and therefore genetic basis -- NOT some kind of rational or emotional motivation.

And of course, many others disagreed with him or didn't like the way he said what he did, which sparked a lot of conversation. I really like and respect having Coppinger in the mix even if I don't see things the same way he does!

Anyway, that was FUN, but I'm exhausted! I almost never ever use Twitter, yet I think I racked up over a hundred Tweets today. Audience participation and the scrolling sidebar of immediate hashtagged responses was one of the most captivating things about last year's conference, so I'm happy to join in this year. They WANT to hear from their audience, including the non-scientists. Plus, it's an interesting way to take notes. =)
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Thx @curlytails! Leave it to Ray C. to spark a little controversy!!! Did McConnell blow a gasket??!!

Next two days should be fun...and I can actually tune in!!

• shibamistressshibamistress
    Here's the full schedule too for people: http://caninescience.info/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/8-SPARCS-2014Schedule_6.15.14.pdf

I'd like to watch the why wild dogs don't make good pets, about Dingos today but I've got a solstice event planned so probably won't be able to, but I can check in with some interesting stuff tomorrow! :)
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Great twitter coverage today @curlytails! Thank you!

• curlytailscurlytails
    @shibamistress

Bradley Smith, the dingo researcher, has a website here:
    http://www.howlingdingo.com.au/

Very interesting presentation! Yes, LOTS resonated with Shiba owners, and also things I've heard of NGSD people, Basenji people, other "primitive" dog peoples... He has a book coming out, should be interesting.

Now I'm scrambling off for a Solstice event, too!
  • curlytailscurlytails
    @Kobe1468 Let's see if I manage to rouse myself at 6am California time to catch McConnell's final talk on Sunday... It appears that McConnell and Coppinger are quite familiar with each other's personalities though, and there's a lot of mutual respect despite the fervent disagreement. As it should be!
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    I missed McConnell on Friday, so I'm defiantly tuning in. I love her work. But not so bad for me as it's 9am for me!

Yes, I really like the different viewpoints, along with the mutual respect they seem to have for each other. Who was it last year Coppinger got all riled up? Can't remember. But he's defiantly one of a kind!

Love the new research presented. B Smith was great with the Dingo research. I can't imagine living in a multiple Dingo home!! There were times during the presentation I couldn't help but to think Shiba!

Tomorrow should be great. 'Science in Training'. Looking forward to hearing from Wynne, Udell, and at 530 Krista Macpherson (from the U of Western Ontario) will be presenting some new research. They are doing some good work at the UWO canine cognition lab. (London, Ontario)

The great thing about SPARCS is the proceeds go to funding grad/phd research projects....the next wave of SPARCS speakers!!
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    @CanineScience: Dominance is a prediction about who will get access to a limited resource. Has nothing to do with training. McConnell #SPARCS2014

@CanineScience: Dominance does not equal aggression and is not about control. Patricia McConnell #SPARCS2014

@CanineScience: Just because dominance isn't useful in training does not mean it does not exist. Patricia McConnell #SPARCS2014

@@CanineScience: "Whatever you want to call it, dogs do show ritualized displays" that show which dog "gets the pork chop." Patricia McConnell #SPARCS2014

^some quotes from her presentation this morning. Nothing really new, but all good points to remember. She is such a excellent speaker!!!
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    SPARCS '14 in the books. Disappointed I didn't get to see as much as I wanted, but what I did see was excellent.

Thanks @curlytails for your excellent twitter coverage. Really filled in the gaps for me!! And you say you don't tweet very often?,,,,could have fooled me!
  • curlytailscurlytails
    @Kobe1468 Thanks for the highlights on McConnell's talk! I didn't wake up early enough after all. Sounds like she really threw down the gauntlet.

Considering over 500 over my 700 tweets occurred over the last three days, I'd still say I don't tweet often. But I caught on quickly to live tweeting. ;) It seems especially appropriate for an online conference, and I loved seeing the cascade of everyone's tweets and retweets!

Anyway, with that, my Twitter's going back into hibernation, until the next time I see a purpose for it.

Only a few of us on the Shiba forum checked out SPARCS? Was everyone else too cool for school?? ^_^
  • sunyatasunyata
    Thanks for the summaries guys. I wish I could have tuned in for some of it, but I had a big race this weekend and was out of touch.

When I get a few minutes of free time I will have to check out the Twitter coverage. :)
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Thanks for the updates, it sounds like it was really informative.

I really wanted to check it out, but there were a few dog-friendly events that I took Kira to instead. I might be losing my weekends off soon so I wanted to get in our bonding time together before that happens.
    imageimage

• Kobe1468Kobe1468
    A SPARCS mega selfie!!!!
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Someone needs to give Ray Coppinger a big ol' hug.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Will post this here as well. Excellent blog to follow...the most recent is a great overview of SPARCS '14.

http://blog.smartanimaltraining.com/
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Someone to follow in the future. Great research on scent detection.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Podcast with Sam Gosling discussing Personality in non human animals:

http://www.humananimalscience.com.au/personality-non-human-animals/
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Just one more addition(from me) on SPARCS '14....a great recap with lots of links and photos:

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/dog-spies/2014/06/29/canine-science-summer-camp/

BTW...scientificamerican.com has some excellent material. Lots of great blogs to follow as well.

Thx for putting up with my SPARCS obsession!!!

ETA: one more link...the reviews just keep on coming!

http://www.clickertraining.com/sparks-flying-at-sparcs-conference
    Post edited by Kobe1468 at 2014-07-02 21:59:43
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Here's a recap of last weeks Canine Science Forum:

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/dog-spies/2014/07/21/canine-science-a-trend-you-can-easily-get-behind/

• Kobe1468Kobe1468
    http://youtu.be/D8debRN5_8c

Good interview with Clive Wynne.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    SPARCS 2015 announced:

June 19-21 in Phoenix, Az

Themes:
    Day 1- Learning and Memory
    Day2- Dogs Around the World
    Day3- Stress

• Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Kobe1468 said:

SPARCS 2015 announced:

June 19-21 in Phoenix, Az

Themes:
    Day 1- Learning and Memory
    Day2- Dogs Around the World
    Day3- Stress

Here is the link to this years schedule and speakers. And once again, streamed live, for free!

http://www.sparcsinitiative.org/events/2015-conference-speakers/
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Two weeks away and counting! SPARCS 2015!

Looking forward to K. Lords presentation on why stray dogs may not be so astray(or to that effect). And some interesting shelter dog research will be presented.

Noticed Dr. Wynne isn't a presenter this year. Can't have SPARCS without him...pretty sure he'll be one of the 'mystery'/special guests.

Looking forward to Cobb and Hecht as moderators again. Great chemistry!

Streamed live for FREE...pretty inexpensive for the knowledge you'll gain. Will just cost you time and interest in canine behaviour!
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    One last reminder...SPARCS starts tomorrow. You can access the FREE live stream via the SPARCS website. Enjoy!
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Loving @curlytails Twitter coverage again this year!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)