For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Why Title A Dog?
  • redcattooredcattoo
    I saw this on FB and had to copy it so I could share it here. This is so true of why I continue to work on CGC goals, Rally goals, agility goals, ect with my boys even the days I feel my newbie experience is not good enough to get us to titles as a team. Something about this today made me tear up as it hit so close to how I feel about my relationship to my two boys.

photo whytitleadog_zps735003e2.jpg
  • amtiamti
    That is a really nice article on why to title. However, it forgets that not everyone can afford to title their dog.

I have never titled any of my dogs, but that is because it never occurred to me to do it. Growing up in Japan, I was never around dog training classes so we trained on our own. I've enrolled Kaji in his very first dog class (evaluation) next week, so I'm curious as to what that world holds for us.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    @amti good luck with your first dog class evaluation.

For me, I see training and going to events no different than I would see that commitment to a child's education and growth. Actually, my dogs cost a lot less than the commitment to a child's education and growth and for a lot shorter period of time.

I understand though not everyone goes into owning dogs with that same view point about the financial aspects as I do.

I don't expect everyone to title a dog, but for those of us who do pursue it, I wanted to post this as the pursuit isn't always about the next higher title, or just a way to compete, and that it can be about the special relationship that has to be developed to achieve a title. I think many people forget titling a dog isn't necessarily about being better than someone else or competitive and that it is actually more about the bond between handler and dog to work together so closely in achieving a goal.
  • amtiamti
    Thanks! Kaji usually listens pretty well without treats and almost 100% of the time with treats. BUT seeing how this is an evaluation and he's never done anything like this or been in a dog training facility, he'll probably ignore every word I say and have to do the beginner class. But as long as he has fun, I'm good with that. :)

I do have to admit, the article made me teary eyed. Its been a difficult year for me, but as I age, I'm getting weepier. I try to embrace Kaji's youth and spunkiness since I know he won't be that way forever. Who knows, I may decide to pursue a title for him too. Good luck in your quest!
  • redcattooredcattoo
    At least you have the right attitude, that the journey no matter where it goes should be fun. Depending on where else you have worked on his training (ie backyard, parks, pet stores, ect) will factor into how well he will generalize at the training facility for the evaluation.

Good luck in the journey that you take.

There are so many options out there and I think when I think about titling it is about never taking for granted the respect and bond with my boys.

Getting Bear's CGC (Canine Good Citizen) title, since he is very people shy, was a defining moment in our journey. Then being able to just consider stepping into a Rally ring was another hurdle. Yes, we got lucky in that the event offering Rally allowed enough opportunity that we ended up also getting his RN title that same weekend, but it really was the fact we even made it to a point we could step in the ring that was special to me.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)