For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Shiba rescue in Japan?
  • This is a very sensitive topic... I am visiting my in-laws, and I am very worried about the dog that lives here.

Momo is an older female Shiba (10+) that belongs to my brother-in-law's wife. The lady in question is kind of off her rocker, having virtually abandoned her husband and son, but they are trying to keep things positive and maybe someday get back together. My mother and father-in-law are retired, in their 70's and fixed income. The brother-in-law is supporting himself, his son and his parents.

Momo was in great shape the last time I saw her three years ago, but her health has obviously deteriorated. She has lost 90% of her coat, won't walk, and is emaciated. I'd estimate she is about 12-15 pounds. The family has tried to get the owner to do something, but she said not to do anything for or about her dog. From what I understand, she may have an infestation of fleas or lice or something else, my Japanese isn't good enough to understand exactly what it is.

My question is, does anyone here know of a JSPCA or similar organization that could or would intervene? My google-fu has come up largely empty, providing info about protecting lab animals, but nothing that seems to cover this situation that I can find...

My in-laws are coming to America when we leave on Wednesday, so the likelihood that Momo will receive veterinary care drops even further next week, but someone could easily come and rescue the dog from it's kennel, guerrilla style...

:( my heart pounds in my throat when I look at the poor old girl. :(
  • Wow can't believe that nothing I typed went through.

I hope someone does, I do not. I hope momo can be rescued and finish out her life in a happy, loving and good home being as healthy as possible.
    Post edited by CrystalWolf at 2013-08-17 06:38:50
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    Contact them they might be able tp put you in the right direction.

Animal Refuge Kansai
    http://www.arkbark.net/?q=en/
    犬竜
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Yeah, start with ARK -- hopefully they can help you network with someone in your area. Where are you?

There's also Heart Tokushima:
    http://www.heart-tokushima.com/ENGLISH/WELCOME.html
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • Take photos and send to the rescues suggested. (Just a thought)
  • Momo is living in the Okunitama section of Sakuragawa-shi, Ibaraki-ken.

I will try to connect with those organizations, hopefully my inadequate Japanese speaking ability isn't a stumbling block.
  • I contacted ARK.

Thanks for helping.
  • I was able to sneak a picture of Momo this morning. I just got it uploaded to photobucket. Breaks my heart. :(

photo 1FFA9D07-5E45-4912-BD35-4DDB2708DBE0-838-0000010A5854A9F3_zpsa66ce8cc.jpg
    Post edited by rollermonkey at 2013-08-17 23:50:25
  • ArcticArctic
    Ugh really? That's awful.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Wishing you luck getting Momo into rescue. She definatly needs help!!

Yeah, the photo is horrible and really pisses me off. Wondering how anybody could be so cruel to allow this to happen. "Off her rocker" doesn't even begin to explain the neglect.

I can only hope somebody will step up before you have to leave. Once you are gone, I'm affraid she'll be just another 'stat'.
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • RikkaRikka
    I feel sick to my stomach.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • Oh that poor dog! I wonder if she has SA? It's more than fleas, that's for sure. Could me mange too, I suppose, but does look like photos I've seen of SA. http://www.akitaclub.org/health/health/sa/sa1.html

I don't know much about it Shibas, but it can be a problem in Akitas, so as with many other health issues, it likely can occur in Shibas as well. It's particularly hard to treat, unfortunately.

anyway, I feel terrible for those poor dog. I hope you're able to find a way to help her.

Keep us posted.
  • OMG, I actually gasped when I saw the picture. Way worse than I imagined. I hope she gets help soon! It looks like mange to me.
    Horrible.
    Poor baby. :(
  • SayaSaya
    Poor girl. :(

If she has fleas or lice that can't be fun. I agree it could be mange, or something.

I remember seeing a B&T shiba with same look I think it was either mange or very bad allergies.. The update pics on the rescue page was amazing when the dog got fur back.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • amtiamti
    I'm shocked too. Poor baby. I hope she gets help soon.

If you can get their email address and forward that photo of Momo, that should tell them what you can't say in words. It is pretty powerful. Good luck. I wish I could help you since I'm rather fluent. Maybe if you skype and they do too, we can have a group chat? That may be a stretch though since a lot of the small town folks don't use computers that much. My relatives in Shizuoka all use their cell phones and we got them converted to using skype on their cell phones, so maybe they have it too.
    Post edited by amti at 2013-08-19 00:48:10
  • Japanese law makes ZERO provision for animal neglect by the legal owner of an animal, AND if a rescue organization takes action without the owner's permission, they are guilty of theft.
    Shocking.

Regardless, I spoke to my wife first, then we worked together on her mom. The three of us spoke to her dad, and her dad spoke to his son. Today, he got permission from his wife for ARK to rescue Momo. I've relayed that, and all the pertinent address and contact info to ARK's Tokyo office. Hopefully, despite my leaving Japan tomorrow, everything will continue to progress and Momo will be OK.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    So, so so heartbreaking!! =( Thank you for your attention to this little peach...

I realize the timeframe is inadequate for this now, but depending on where you fly to in the States, you may want to think about networking with Shiba rescues in your home turf. If the dog has a passenger, the cost of transport is not prohibitive, and you could possibly get some assistance/sponsorship from both local and overseas rescue. Bay Area Shiba rescue takes dogs from Taiwan, for example, and they're adopted very quickly out here because there are relatively few Shibas needing rescue in this area [compared to the Midwest or other puppy mill hotspots, I mean].

Just putting this out there in case you or anyone else ever encounters a similar situation...
  • amtiamti
    Shipping a dog from Japan is a lot of work and requires lots of planning. Japanese are sticklers for rules and if everything is not perfect, you will get denied. Just keep in mind a dog with obvious health issues won't pass quarantine nor will they let such a dog on a plane. When my parents shipped Millie from Japan, they had all these restrictions and records they had to have as well as a plane approved crate that fits the dog. They also don't fly animals during certain months when the temperature gets over a certain degree (this is for Texas, but it may not apply in colder places). My mom flew on the same flight, but my dad stayed behind in case Millie was denied. Once they land stateside, the animals are inspected again and then released to their next destination. Millie was in the crate for a good 24 hours before she was allowed out. They wouldn't let her out in Dallas since she was in transit, and they don't allow you to feed your dog (which was a big issue with my mom and she did get to feed her dog in Dallas with the support of other agents). Maybe shipping dogs from other countries is easier, but Japan is a lot of work.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Yeah, I didn't think Momo was a likely candidate given her visible health issues and age, but... I just wanted to throw that out there. Taiwan has a lot of specific rules as well, and temperature restrictions vary by airline. But I guess I don't find it too onerous to dot your i's and cross your t's as expected -- as long as you know what the rules are. And I don't, for Japan.

My other concern is the availability of direct flights between the dog and would-be rescuer. Every transfer is a risk that I wouldn't recommend unless absolutely necessary, but if you're talking about a direct shot, it's worth looking into, IMO.
  • Glad to hear that Momo is going to be rescued. Will keep fingers crossed that this happens and that she finds a good future home.
  • glad to hear Momo is going to be rescued, and thank you for intervening for this poor girl.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Well done!! Thank you!!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • redcattooredcattoo

Regardless, I spoke to my wife first, then we worked together on her mom. The three of us spoke to her dad, and her dad spoke to his son. Today, he got permission from his wife for ARK to rescue Momo. I've relayed that, and all the pertinent address and contact info to ARK's Tokyo office. Hopefully, despite my leaving Japan tomorrow, everything will continue to progress and Momo will be OK.

Thank you for dedicating so much effort in trying to do what you can. I do hope it all works out for Momo!
    Post edited by redcattoo at 2013-08-20 17:20:39
  • I am so frustrated right now.

I relayed the message to ARK that the owner had given permission to take Momo.

ARK's response is that the dog needs to be taken to the vet to determine the cause of the skin condition, shots updated, heartworm check completed, AND a certificate of spay before someone in the family can take the dog to Tokyo. (Tokyo is about a 90 minute drive, more depending on where in the city they are located.) oh, and since Momo isn't spayed, they'd have to pay for that, first, too.

If the family could do those things, or if the owner wanted to provide proper care for her dog in the first place, I wouldn't have needed to contact a rescue organization in the first place!

I'm leaving for my flight in two hours... I feel horrible.
  • @rollermonkey- Perhaps you should contact "the Walrus" who is a member of the Nihon Ken Forum and who lives in Japan. Maybe he can follow thru on Momo's situation. His email: kato.the.walrus@gmail.com

Here is his blog: http://nihonken.blogspot.com/

(The Nihon Ken Forum is the sister forum to the Shiba Forum. It is also run by Brad Anderson)
  • That is really frustrating. It's so true....if the owner was willing to do this, then the dog wouldn't need to be rescued. What is the point of rescue in this case? That is very frustrating.

I have to say I'm less than thrilled with ARK right now, between this and the other post about them. :(
  • Jeez! What are they there for then!? Hope you can contact "the walrus" and he can help. I feel awful for poor momo and hope she gets rescued and fixed up in a happy loving home.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    What a sad turn of events ... so hard when that one dog you know needs help gets in your heart and you think you find it the help it needs only to find out another road block is in that path :(
  • GorosanGorosan
    I am previous owner of a shiba-mix and living in Tokyo. I have no dog now, since
    my apartment is no-pets-allowed apartment. Alternatively, I have been donating foods and supplies to many rescue organizations within Japan.

There are a lot of rescue organizations in Japan other than ARK. Most of these organizations are run by Japanese. I heard some rumors about ARK, I am not sure
    whether true or not, they prefer cost-effectiveness, and they deem it's better to apply euthanasia for some dogs/cats with disease ( I don't know how bad they are).
    Please do not believe, it is just a rumor.

Mainly, activities for most of the rescue organization in Japan are to take abandoned dogs and cats from the local animal shelter, to take care of them, and to seek foster home after investigating qualifications. Each activity is different depending on the organization policy. Some organizations accept abandoment and neglect of animals from individuals, but some organizations do not, but accept through shelter or defunct puppy-mill & Back Yard Breeders.

I googled rescue organizations in Ibaragi-prefecture and found out some organizations. Please refer to the below.( sorry, these are in Japanese)

・"Animal Support Kizuna"
    http://kizna.sakura.ne.jp/index.html
    ・"Pochitama-kai"
    http://www7b.biglobe.ne.jp/~inu-neko/
    ・"AWS_Animal Welfare Society"
    http://w01.tp1.jp/~a270142951/index.html
    ・"CAPIN"
    http://www.capinew.jp/

I believe the points are to adopt Momo urgently regardless of her health condition
    and the location where she is, and to give her medical treatment ASAP .
    Fortunately, the owner of Momo agreed to giving up the possession.
    I am thinking about asking organization as above linked to adopt and take care of her
    by e-mail.
    I woud like to ask you, is it OK to foward this thread including "photo of Momo" to the rescue organizations? If it's ok, I will accordingly.

• curlytailscurlytails
    @Gorosan This is a publicly viewable thread that anyone should be able to see. If it helps get some urgent care for Momo, please feel free to share this thread with anyone else.

Hopefully @rollermonkey may be able to give you more specific information about Momo's whereabouts via private message, once s/he has returned to the States and has access to the internet again.
  • GorosanGorosan
    @curlytails Thank you for your advice!
    Momo is in such a bad condition and extremely hot days continue in recent days Japan.
    The temperature is more than one hundred degree(F)/38 degree (C) in this summer.
    And humidity is so high likewise, it is reported that temperature and humidity in Japan
    is higher than South East Asia (Singapore, Thailand and Indonesia), and a lot of people
    die of heat exhaustion, most of them are the elderly.

I've sent e-mail to the rescue organizations to ask to save "Momo".
    If they are not willing to save her, I will ask other organizations, in such as Chiba,
    Saitama,Tochigi, and Yamanashi area adjacent to Ibaragi prefecture.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    I just want to say thanks @Gorosan for joining the forum and reaching out to do what you can for Momo. I hope in the near future we can celebrate the wonder of social media's capability of helping Momo.

As an older generation (over 40 that is but under 60), I look back some days and wish for the simpler life without having to deal with all the changes in technology and social media, then days like today I look forward and realize that good things have come too within that complexity.
  • Thank you so much, Gorosan, for continuing the attempts to save Momo! It makes me hopeful since there is someone in Japan who may be able to make some attempts. Thank you!
  • @Gorosan- I sent this email to rollermonkey earlier. There is a member of the Nihon Ken Formum who is in Japan.

"@rollermonkey- Perhaps you should contact "the Walrus" who is a member of the Nihon Ken Forum and who lives in Japan. Maybe he can follow thru on Momo's situation. His email: kato.the.walrus@gmail.com

Here is his blog: http://nihonken.blogspot.com/

(The Nihon Ken Forum is the sister forum to the Shiba Forum. It is also run by Brad Anderson) "
  • GorosanGorosan
    I had a prompt reply from one of the organization I've asked, the representative
    of "CAPPIN" http://www.capinew.jp/

He says "She should need medical treatment ASAP, if you let me know the address,
    we are ready to save Momo and take her to vet and provide a proper medical treatment
    for her skin. If its a mange, her skin is likely to recover from the bald, if it's triggered
    by a fungus infection, it takes a lot of time to recover from the bald. However, she needs
    bringing out in such a filthy cage. Her owner is completely irresponsible to neglect her
    health condition, but there are many irresponsible dog owners like this in Ibaragi.
    It is easy to save her from the owner and a bad place with the consent of the owner
    giving up possession of her.But due to lack of funds and monpower, we would like to
    ask you to cover the medical expense at the vet and other food & supplies expense,
    and need your help as a volunteer staff twice a week, if you want us to take care of her until she has been fostered. Some of the bystanders leave all the matter to us, and then we can not contact them. We needs your cooperation, since we are struggling on the edge of funds, manpowers&space. However, taking her to the vet, temporary assistance and keeping with her until she recovers from sickness for a certain period, we can do any moment from now. we look forward to your reply"

@rollermonky
    I think it is better to leave "save the Momo project" to CAPIN temporalily, and of course I am considering covering the medical expense at the vet . I am wondering if it would be possible for your wife's family member to cover the half of the expense or not. Would you consider taking her to US with you when she has been recovered?
    If it's impossible, I have to work to find another rescue organization after she gets better.
    Anyway, if you agree to the above mentioned, please kindly let me know the detailed address and her personality (CAPIN needs her personality info.).

@sukoshi's mom
    Thank you for your information, i confirmed "the warlus" blog.
    He seems a little bit to dedicates to breeding Nihon-ken and hunting.
    Is he interested in rescue? Anyway, when I need his help, I will ask him accordingly.

• Glad you got a response! This sounds like exactly what is needed for Momo! So glad you were able to find help for her! Now if Rollermonkey can get the info. to you, this will work out perfectly!

and Gen, "the walrus," is involved with Nihon Ken in general, and has helped some members with finding breeders/importing dogs. I think the initial thought was he might have some ideas because he was in Japan, rather than because he is involved in rescue (which I don't know if he is per se, but he might have had some suggestions.)
  • Gorosan, thank you for helping with this cause! Domo arigato gozaimasu!

I am still jetlagged, but I just sent whatever information I could think of including keitai bango, address, etc. in a private message. My brother-in-law was willing to give up Momo so that she can be rescued, and he had briefly convinced his wife to do the same, but she's a bit crazy. She changed her mind once already... Hopefully if someone who speaks Japanese and understands the law about animal neglect can speak to her, she will do the right thing.

Thank you for helping, I was pretty worried before I left this morning, but I think we can still get this done for Momo.
    Post edited by rollermonkey at 2013-08-22 00:36:58
  • Thank you Gorosan! I too anxiously await news as to Momo's rescue
  • GorosanGorosan
    I am so dissapointed to hear that she has changed her mind once already.
    I am not expert of the law & legal matters at all, but neglect is against the law,
    animal welfare act in Japan.

http://www.alive-net.net/english/en-law/201208awactpoint.html
    (※Please refer to the "6.Definition of Animal Abuse and Enforcement of Penalties")

If I call the police or the local authority about this neglect, the owner would be sued as animal abuse to neglect her dog. And then she was imposed fine for less than 2 million yen or less than2 years imprisonment.

Recently, same kind of incident for the neglecting dog in Tochigi-prefecture,
    adjacent to Ibaragi-prefecture. The owner has been sued as animal cuelty and
    against the animal welfare law.
    This is the news ↓for this incident.
    ( I hope this youtube video works without regional limit)
    http://youtu.be/EB-Iy9lY7Uc

Maybe the local authority & the police in Ibaragi would be sensitive about this
    kind of matter after the incident as above in Tochigi-prefecture.

I received the detailed information for Momo from @rollermonky,
    so I will try my best and give you feedbacks.

• BearsDadBearsDad

I was able to sneak a picture of Momo this morning. I just got it uploaded to photobucket. Breaks my heart. :(

photo 1FFA9D07-5E45-4912-BD35-4DDB2708DBE0-838-0000010A5854A9F3_zpsa66ce8cc.jpg

Jesus...What the hell is wrong with people? How can you have a dog in this condition and not do anything for it?

Glad you are so dedicated to he well being
  • CaliaCalia

and Gen, "the walrus," is involved with Nihon Ken in general, and has helped some members with finding breeders/importing dogs.

His name is actually Shigeru, Gen is another NK forum member who live in CA.
  • Calia said:

and Gen, "the walrus," is involved with Nihon Ken in general, and has helped some members with finding breeders/importing dogs.

His name is actually Shigeru, Gen is another NK forum member who live in CA.

Of course it is. That's what I get for trying to do too many things at once and not paying attention. When I typed it, I thought something is wrong, but was trying to do too many things. D'oh!

• GorosanGorosan

I could contact @rollermonky's brother-in-law by phone just before!
    I asked some questions as below about Momo and his wife.

・Why does she want to keep Momo?
    →That is why she has had Momo for about ten years, and Momo has a little
    time to live, so she wants to spend with Momo until she sees Momo off.

・When is the latest visit to Veterinarian?
    →Last year.

・Does Momo have any health problems or troubles?
    →Yes, she has a desease of pecular "Nihon-Ken (Japanese dog)".
    But I don't know the details and the name of the desease.
    And did you see the photo of Momo, did't you ? that's so poor and horrible.

・Some rescue organization based in Tsukuba, Ibaraki is willing to save Momo,
    so how do you think?
    →I agree to handing over Momo to the rescue organization by all means.

・When can you acquire the consent of your wife?
    →This night, when I go home, I will ask her again.

・When is available for you to accept the rescue action? Saturday or Sunday?
    →Both of days are availbale.

I could not talk with him by phone for enough time to ask the more detailed info. because he was driving. Eventually I am supposed to call him tomorrow morning again.

At the same time,a staff of CAPIN left a message on my answering machine,
    " The action should be taken ASAP, please tell us the current situation."
    I am really frustrated, but I have to tread carefully, since the lady who is
    the owner of Momo is difficult person seemingly but she is a family member of @rollermonky too.

• @gorosan - you are really doing amazing work in helping this dog (and I'm sure others). Thank you so much for keeping those of us following the story up to date on the latest developments.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    @Gorosan, thank you so much for getting involved and helping Momo. Thanks also for the updates on the progress.
  • I have been following this discussion. I hope the rescue will be able to take Momo to a better place! Thanks, @Gorosan
  • I have to apologize for my brother-in-law's wife. My family thinks she is crazy, but is trying to not make her angry so she will stay and care for her son... She certainly has issues, and I wish that I didn't have to rely on Gorosan to finish what I could not do before I left Japan.
  • GorosanGorosan
    You don't need to apologize. I am keeping to attempt to save Momo.
    If only the owner decided to leave Momo to us....
  • I think at some point, CAPIN or someone may need to go to Ookunitama to talk to the owner in person.

She is wagama and indecisive at the same time, so getting her to make a decision AND stand by the decision will be difficult.
  • GorosanGorosan
    I have suggested that to your brother-in-law by mobile text message already, but I have not received any reply. How can I do anymore for Momo..
  • curlytailscurlytails
    I appreciate the amount of diplomacy that may be involved in a rescue like this. It is not easy. Thank you both @Gorosan and @rollermonkey for continuing to do everything you can.

When you are able to get her to a vet (or obtain her veterinary records), I am curious as to the name of this disease that is particular to Nihon ken.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)