For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
  • RAM25RAM25
    Post edited by curlytails at 2013-08-15 21:36:34
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • RAM25RAM25
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
  • RAM25RAM25
  • Do you have any idea of her pedigree or breeding background? Is she a puppy mill dog?
    If so, this may explain some of the health issues.

Has your vet done any blood work on her on a repeated basis? Sometimes if there are recurring problems, it helps to do repeated blood panels, that may help identify lurking problems. For example, Sukoshi's liver function readings pointed the way to her liver shunt problem.

• ShibaLoveShibaLove
    I have no experience with SLE in dogs, but it is rampant in my family (and me) and I do research in the lab on SLE in mice. DLE (Discoid Lupus Erythematosus) or cutaneous lupus are not quite the same as SLE and are not as fatal as you described (~40% fatality w/in 1st year) because it is not systemic and is not affecting multiple organs. SLE patients can have some skin issue too though.

Another thing is this usually occurs in older living organisms, and your girl is only 10 months old, however that doesn't rule it out. She could just have an advanced form which would not be good.

With SLE, the most fatal problems are thrombosis and loss of kidney function. It could probably be diagnosed in a dog by getting a urine sample and measuring proteinuria for kidney function, drawing blood and measuring serum auto-antibodies and complement proteins involved in inflammation, and also levels of WBCs and platelets. They might want to take a skin scrapping as well.

This is probably getting ahead pf myself, but for the medications, try to get by without prednisone (like just the azathioprene and cyclosporin) first because prednisone can cause some serious mood and behavioral problems and they just aren't pleasant.

Well good luck! I ams uprised to hear about lupus in dogs but I suppose if mice can get it so can dogs. It can be quite difficult to diagnose even in humans that can describe their symptoms. I hope it isn't lupus but if so it is manageable as long as it is treated. Keep us updated

I suppose it isn't as rare of a thing. Here are some articles on genome wide associations with lupus in dogs:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20101241
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19636550
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17785296
    These may only have their abstracts available.
  • RAM25RAM25
    Post edited by RAM25 at 2013-08-16 11:17:57
  • RAM25RAM25
  • @RAM25-- Glad to hear that Shinobi comes from a reputable breeder. Several of us on the forum have had puppy mill dogs and many of the dogs have had major health and/or behavioral issues. My Sukoshi had hip dysplasia, a liver shunt, and heart issues. She passed away this March ( 8 yrs. old) from what appeared to be either a stroke or heart attack.
    Post edited by sukoshi’s mom at 2013-08-16 17:36:05
  • RAM25RAM25
    Post edited by RAM25 at 2013-08-16 18:45:32
  • @RAM25- No apology needed.
    I will keep my fingers crossed and think positive thoughts for Shinobi. Maybe she's just getting off to a slightly rocky start.

• RAM25RAM25

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)