For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Perfectly potty trained puppy? Is that even possible?
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I'm not sure if it's that I managed to get a truly exceptional puppy, or that I've had enough dogs in the past that I've avoided previous mistakes... But Kira is perfectly potty trained. She turns 8 weeks old tomorrow and still has not made one mistake in the house or her crate! Is it possible, that I have a perfect puppy? I know that the breed have a tendency to become trained quickly due to the fact that they are meticulously clean, but is this possible? Has anyone else ever gotten a puppy that has never made a mistake? It can't just be me!
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • ArcticArctic
    There's still time! Don't start counting your chickens too soon!

I can't say my pup was perfect, but she had less than 5 mistakes total and after the ten week mark (I got her at eight weeks) she never had another one. She is my first dog ever, so I really think as a breed they are just exceptionally easy to house train.
  • I didn't get riku until he was 4 months but the previous owner kept him outside all the time so I still had to house train him. He had no accidents inside. ( there was one time he was sick and had diarrhea all over the kitchen that's when I found out he was allergic to chicken. He was so upset over it I found him under the bed. I dont count this as a accident because it wasn't his fault and I was at work. So I'm going to stick with him having a perfect track record).
  • DebDeb
    Yes, it is possible! However, don't get too down about it if she slips up some time. She's still pretty little. How long have you had her?
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Kobe had two 'accidents' that I can remember. My Sibe, to my knowledge, had none. So it is possible, but like others said, it's still early in the game.
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • CandyCandy
    We had only 2 pee's in the house with our guy, I was given advice from a long time Shiba owner. She told me the trick is to feed them and then walk them every time. now this sounds crazy but we did it until he was not waking up in the night. We would take him out to pee right before bed again in the middle of the night and then when my husband got up for work at 530am. We moved when this dog was exactly 3 months old and never had any accidents in the new house. As he got older we would space the pee breaks more. He would get his breakfast then walked 30 min or more and same for dinner and this created the schedule for doing #2- eat walk do your business.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    We picked up Kira when she was 7 weeks old. We've only had her a week, but I expected at least a few mistakes and am still wondering how I lucked out. True, there could be a mishap down the road. Counting my blessings now that I haven't had any. I used to be a puppy raiser for Guiding Eyes for the Blind, they taught me lots of training tricks for housebreaking - like the one Candy mentioned. I feed her, then within 15-30 minutes take her outside to wait for her #2.

It sounds like a lot of you have also been blessed with perfect puppy syndrome :D
    imageimage

• I think Shibas are just like that! Dakota had maybe two accidents as a puppy. Totally trained at 8 or 9 weeks.. Lucky all of us!! I have a friend with Chihuahuas who still pee and poop in the house -- and they are 2 and 3 years old!!
  • Smm22Smm22
    We have had Tuck since June (when he was 7.5 weeks old) and only had 1 "accident" in the house ... However I think it was more because he was spooked by the vacuum cleaner and not because he really needed to potty. He is our first puppy and I was prepared for him to have accidents during at least the first month (especially after babysitting my sister-in-laws Pug puppy that was not house-trained at all!) but Tuck has been really great. He will go to the side door and whine when he needs to go out .. I was thinking we got so lucky with him but it seems many people have had the same experience!
  • TengaiTengai
    I have had two, my first Shiba. He didn't have an accident until he was about 8 months old. Lifted his leg on the couch once. He was told no, never did it again. (he was intact).
    My second is a almost 5 month old pup. Has not had an accident yet!
    I've had a few in between who would occasionally have a mistake. I truly believe if a pup is having accidents you are doing something wrong, not the pup!
  • Hach is the same, no accidents. We made sure in the first week or 2 that he had someone home throughout the day and regularly took him outside. We spread out the intervals and he did great. At 3 months he could hold his bladder throughout the night! (8 hours). Ahhhhhh, sleep again.

He almost had a mishap once, caught him sniffing around very suspiciously and tucked into position to pee but we exploded up and threw him outside. Likely, he was probably showing signs that he needed to go out and it's very possible that we overlooked these. 4 months old now and a dry house. Fingers crossed.

Tengai, I'll have to look out for that lifted leg in a few months..............
  • Koji's momKoji's mom
    We brought Koji home at 6 weeks (don't recommend that!) and he went in house two times first couple days (one #1 and one #2) and after that never again, he was completely potty trained before he was 7 weeks old...awesome!

Of course thats with frequent potty outings...He was very good at crying to let me know he needed to go out...
  • sunyatasunyata

He almost had a mishap once, caught him sniffing around very suspiciously and tucked into position to pee but we exploded up and threw him outside. Likely, he was probably showing signs that he needed to go out and it's very possible that we overlooked these.

@ethirtydavid - WHAT?! Why would you explode at this poor puppy and then throw him outside? Especially since it was YOUR fault (as you admitted above) that you did not catch his hints that he needed to go out! I sincerely hope that you are dramatizing your actions and you told him no and then took him outside to potty in the appropriate place.

*shakes head*

Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • I said we exploded up. Exploded out of our seats. And I am overdramatizing. I scooped him up and placed him outside. Sorry if I made you panic, that maybe you'd thought I put a bomb in him and overhand fast ball pitched him to the yard
  • DabishDabish
    sunyata said:

He almost had a mishap once, caught him sniffing around very suspiciously and tucked into position to pee but we exploded up and threw him outside. Likely, he was probably showing signs that he needed to go out and it's very possible that we overlooked these.

@ethirtydavid - WHAT?! Why would you explode at this poor puppy and then throw him outside? Especially since it was YOUR fault (as you admitted above) that you did not catch his hints that he needed to go out! I sincerely hope that you are dramatizing your actions and you told him no and then took him outside to potty in the appropriate place.

*shakes head*

I think ethirtydavid just meant that they got up quickly, not that they exploded on the dog....hyperbole
  • In other related news.. :

• curlytailscurlytails
    @ethirtydavid As a visually oriented person, I gotta say... you sure know how to pick your images.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @ethirtydavid - I am glad that you were over dramatizing... I kind of figured, but I had to say something.

And yes... That image... Haha! :)
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • @ethirtydavid - sometimes people post stuff like that and it's not hyperbole so it makes those who've been on the forum a long time tense up to hear stuff like that.

You'd be surprised at the number of people who seem to boast about putting their dogs in a chokehold, or wrestling them down, biting them on the ears, etc.

[edited for a typo]
    Post edited by violet_in_seville at 2013-08-15 14:17:43
  • I'll have to remember this when I make comments here then, so I make sure not to offend or give the wrong impression. So ok, when man puts shiba in chokehold, wrestles them to ground and bites their ear- not ok.

When shiba puts shiba in chokehold, wrestles and bites the ear- cute.

• DebDeb
    That's right, you've got the picture! (Yes, I'm smirking.)
    Post edited by Deb at 2013-08-16 00:30:58
  • amtiamti
    I'm always amazed on the pictures people can find online! Perfect photos ethirtydavid!
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    An update on the perfectly potty trained puppy:

Kira has STILL never had a mistake in the house, she turned 4 months old this week. I'm still coming home during my lunch break to let her out and feed her lunch. Now my concern is... how to best transition her to 2 meals and staying in her crate for my entire 8-hour work shift?

I am not opposed to going home during my lunch break, but December is the busiest time of year at my work (FedEx) so I don't know if I can make it home during that time. She should be right around 6 months at that time, so I think that as long as I transition her slowly into a longer wait that she should be fine.

I was hoping that someone could give me a little advice on the best way to go about this transition? I was thinking about starting to leave her alone for gradually longer times starting in November - instead of letting her out at 1-2pm as I have been, coming around 2-3pm the first week; 3-4pm the second week, etc.

Any suggestions/opinions are much appreciated!
    imageimage

• BootzBootz
    @Kira_Kira

I personally dont like the idea of leaving puppies home alone that long without a potty/play break. But if its unavoidable i would recommend getting an expen so your Shiba can have more space.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @Kira_Kira - Six months, IMO, is too young to leave a puppy alone all day. My suggestion if coming home for lunch is not an option is to hire a dog walker or have a friend/family member come during the day to let her out and give her some mental and physical stimulation.

Remember, a puppy's bladder is not the only thing that you need to worry about when thinking about how long to leave him or her. Puppies need the mental and physical stimulation of interaction to remain happy and healthy.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • ArcticArctic
    I would mirror what @bootz said. If you absolutely must leave your pup for an entire workday, get an expen so there's some space to move around instead of just a crate (even a big one).
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Ya know, silly me. It didn't even dawn on me to use an ex pen. I have one that we use as a sleep playpen, so it would be perfect. Thanks for the input, everyone. Didn't even occur to me to use it for while I'm at work. #-o

Kira passed out

Kira in her Sleep Playpen
    imageimage

• Sorry to hijack this thread, but I've been looking around for a thread on potty training and whatnot to ask my question. My pup, Koebi, is 1 years old (finally!), and while she's pretty good about peeing/pooping in the house, there have been a few times where she's slipped up (but usually on her pee pad).

As some background, I had her almost fully trained to pee and poop outside about 3 months ago, but then I got hit by a car and spent some time in the hospital and at my boyfriend's house recovering. He was working, and I couldn't take her outside to pee/poop in the morning because I couldn't walk let alone hold her leash. My boyfriend tried to take her outside in the morning so she would pee/poop, but she sometimes refused to go (perhaps it was too early for her?), and so she ended up peeing and pooping in the house in the morning.

Now, I can take her outside and whatnot again, and have been doing so every day: once in the morning and as soon as I come back from work (8:00-5:00, so 5:00 PM). My neighbor comes over and takes Koebi out for a walk around 12:00~2:00 or so, and she gets another chance to use the bathroom then. However, I've noticed that sometimes, even WITH an extra walk from my neighbor, she'll pee/poop in the house (in the front area where she stays and not on her pee pad). Since I'm not home, I don't know if she poops in the morning before the walk or sometime afterwards. I also don't know how to get her to ONLY pee/poop outside and not inside. I've tried giving her treats after she poops/pees outside, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. Do you give her the treats right after she poops or while she's pooping? I ask because as soon as she's done pooping/peeing, she's dash away and start rubbing her feet on the grass to clean her paws, so it's really hard to treat her and have her associate poop outside = treat, instead of clean feet outside = treat.

So my questions are:
    How to train her to pee/poop only outside.
    How to train her to WAIT until we take her outside to go bathroom.
    How to associate pooping/peeing outside with treats so she'll WANT to go.
    Also, is there a way to train her to let you know when she needs to pee?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!
  • @LilMitsuko You should pretty much just consider it potty training from square one.

Do you also clean all her accidents with an enzyme cleaner? Sometimes they will mess that area because it smells like it.

You should pretty much just take her out every hour or so, or try to see when she is having accidents, and then make a note of the time. Or maybe you should crate her to make the process easier.

I always look for signs of when my dog needs to go out. Momo will look out the window, whine, and sit right at the door to let me know it's time~

Good luck!
  • It sounds as if she has regressed in her potty training so as rurouniinugirl recommended, you have to start from scratch.

Use a crate when you can't watch her, restricted access to the entire house (Kira only had living room access as a puppy), go outside every hour or after naps, playing, and meals.

Walk her until she uses the bathroom and use the same route/spot each time thereafter and give her a potty command while she sniffs in that same area. Praise and reward if she goes potty again. Shibas take a long time to go most of the time, so be prepared to take a long walk.

Watch for when she starts sniffing around, and quickly take her outside and give potty command.

Rinse and repeat. Definitely use enzymatic cleaner (Nature's Miracle for example) to completely eliminate the scent.

Edit: I would also stop using a pee pad in the house, you are sending your dog mixed signals with it. Put the pee pad outside since she is accustomed to using it so you can have her associate potty with having to go outside.
    imageimage

Post edited by Kira_Kira at 2014-09-22 00:21:45
  • Do you also clean all her accidents with an enzyme cleaner? Sometimes they will mess that area because it smells like it.

You should pretty much just take her out every hour or so, or try to see when she is having accidents, and then make a note of the time. Or maybe you should crate her to make the process easier.

I do use an enzyme cleaner to clean up the mess. She wasn't having accidents in the same spot, so I figure she just needed to go and wasn't able to go outside (or hold it until someone came to take her outside).

I suppose I can try taking her out every hour on the weekend when I'm home to see when she has to relieve herself.
    Kira_Kira said:

Use a crate when you can't watch her, restricted access to the entire house (Kira only had living room access as a puppy), go outside every hour or after naps, playing, and meals.

I normally keep her in her exercise pen when I'm at work and when I can't watch her while I'm at home. She does well in her pen, and she has access to just one room out of the whole house.
    Kira_Kira said:

Walk her until she uses the bathroom and use the same route/spot each time thereafter and give her a potty command while she sniffs in that same area. Praise and reward if she goes potty again. Shibas take a long time to go most of the time, so be prepared to take a long walk.

I do take her to the same place when she has to use the bathroom, but she's particularly picky about where she goes. If she's pooped in one area, she won't want to go there again; she'll sniff around but then refuse to poop there. We have to walk to another area for her to poop, even if it's just a bit away.

I try to reward her when she goes potty, but after she pees/poops, she immediately dashes away from the spot to rub her feet on the ground. Should I treat her while she's peeing/pooping? Or show her the treat and praise her while she's doing her business, then give it to her afterwards?
    Kira_Kira said:

Edit: I would also stop using a pee pad in the house, you are sending your dog mixed signals with it. Put the pee pad outside since she is accustomed to using it so you can have her associate potty with having to go outside.

I would like to remove the pee pad from the house entirely. Sometimes, I have to go to work on the weekend (like a regular work day: 8:00-5:00) and my neighbor can't come to let Koebi out for a walk/pee/poop break. That's why I still had the pee pad there (and in case she had an accident). I'll definitely try taking it outside and leaving it there instead.
    Post edited by Lilmitsuko at 2014-09-22 02:28:33
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    I agree with the advice to start potty training over from square 1. Block access, verbal praise with potty outside, ditch pads, and get her in a strict schedule. Unfortunately she has now learned that it is ok and desirable to go inside, and she is young enough that you can reverse this with some very consistent scheduling and expectations before she becomes an adult with a lifelong potty issue. My only additional suggestion would be to absolutely sign her up for dog daycare, 2-3 times a week and alternate it with days when you have a sitter/neighbor over.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • JuniJuni
    Like @lindsayt says, just praise her verbally when she goes potty outside, no need for treats.
  • As stated previously, verbal praise is just as good as treats.

I started by rewarding good behavior with treats and saying "YES" in a very excited tone. After a bit, I would reward with a pet or affection with the same "YES". Then after a while Kira associated the "YES" by itself with praise, no treats or physical contact was necessary anymore.
    imageimage

• I'm with @lindsayy and @kira_kira about the whole verbal praise.
    I also say to my dog "good [whatever your keyword is for potty]." So when I want her to hurry up, I say "go [keyword]" and she's fairly quick about it.

Some people also do bell training; the puppy/dog will ring a bell to indicate they want to go out.

Good luck!!
  • Number one problem with the bell... they start to ring it whenever they want to go out... like anytime. See a bird - ring. Hear a dog - ring. Want to feel the sun on her fur - ring. Haven't chewed grass in a few hours - ring.

We have a lot of owners in our puppy basic that want to figure out how to train them to stop ringing the bell...
  • I wasn't sure if verbal praise was good enough, but its' nice to hear that it can work (I remember when I first commented on here about praising Koebi for something, and someone laughed at me and said that I have a Shiba, and no amount of verbal praise was going to beat treats).

Thanks for all your help! I'll do my best re-potty training her. ;A;
  • BootzBootz
    @Lilmitsuko

Does that person have a shiba? Also take people's advice with a grain of salt. Different dogs, different owners, different experience.

Just because it doesn't work for one doesn't mean it won't work for all, and vise versa.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @Lilmitsuko - Remember that you have to associate your verbal praise with something awesome before they link the "good dog" with doing something appropriate. People do this in many ways, but the usual method is to start with treating AND verbal praise and slowly taper off the treats and just use a mixture of both and just verbal. You will never want to completely just use verbal praise, but keep it a mix of just verbal and verbal/treats.

And if your dog is not food motivated, you can substitute whatever works for your pup for treats. So tug, belly rubs, etc.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • kiba888kiba888
    Kiba hasnt had an accident in the house in over a year (about to be 2 years old soon). I use the bell; Kiba uses it just fine. If he wants to go outside -- I'm ok with it, I just let him mark something real quick and take him back in.
  • *Update*

Okay, so after reading everyone's advice, I decided to start the crate training over again and I removed the pee pads from her exercise pen to help avoid confusion. Every time we go outside, if she pees/poops I give her treats and praise her with excitement. I'll give her scratches and play with her, too (which I did before, but to a larger extent now). She seems to understand that going outside = treat because she'll come over to me after she's peed/pooped and wait for a treat.

However, I've run into another problem. She will use the bathroom outside in the morning with me (7:30-8:00 am) and then I leave her in the front part of the house while I'm gone (in Japan, there are "entrance spaces" in houses where people are allowed to come in (it's like public space, pretty much), and it's there that I leave her; it's almost like a room with a long hall that she has to herself - nothing she can chew on/destroy/etc.). My neighbor would come over and take her for a walk around 11 or 12, depending on when she was free, but Koebi would not poop with her. Instead, she would poop sometime before my neighbor came over (so from 8-10/11) on the ground. I would then take her for a walk at 5:00 pm after I got home from work, and she would normally do her business outside. I've cleaned the spots she's dirtied inside and made sure to use an enzyme cleaner to get rid of any smell. However, she still goes in that same general area (as if she's decided that that part = her toilet).

Lately, now, she has stopped pooping during our evening walk, but then doesn't go for the rest of the evening either, so that's okay(?) I suppose.

I decided to try something new today and put Koebi in a small cage after I left for work (and after she did her business outside). She would be in there for 2-3 hours until my neighbor came to walk her. I figured that if the cage was small (large enough for her to stand up and walk around in a little, little bit), it would deter her from pooping/peeing since she'd have to sit in it for awhile, and when she was taken out for a walk, she would go then. I told my neighbor that after she took Koebi out for a walk, she could let Koebi out in the front area (entrance area). The cage is blocking the place where she was pooping, though, so I'm hoping that she won't have gone by the time I get home.

I'm still at work, so I haven't gone home yet, but my neighbor let me know that she took Koebi out for TWO walks today, but Koebi didn't poop during those walks. I don't believe there's any poop in the cage, either, so I'm not quite sure what's going on.

Is leaving her in the cage while I'm not there okay to do? I don't want to leave her in there for nine hours (8-5), so I figured she could stay in there in the morning since that's when he accidents seem to happen. If she doesn't poop, though, when my neighbor takes her out for a walk, should she put Koebi back into the cage afterwards? If so, for how long? I don't want to leave her in her exercise pen while I'm gone because she doesn't mind peeing/pooping in there.

Would blocking off the area where she's been pooping in the house a good idea?
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Update to the original post!

Kira is now two years old and NEVER had and still hasn't had an accident in the house. We crated her while we were at work up until May of this year when we bought a new house. I decided since the majority of the house had hardwood floors, it was the perfect opportunity to test her being left loose in the house with our two cats. I couldn't have asked for a more well behaved dog. She is an absolute treasure and we are lucky to have her.

@Croakedj - Kira was, in fact, the perfect puppy. Since you mentioned yours was at 9 weeks (again he's still very new to your household so he isn't quite at the age where they start acting naughty) it is possible to have a puppy that isn't a "demon" like some puppies can be.
    imageimage

• CroakedjCroakedj
    Oh he can be a real turd sometimes, and you're right, he is young, but no accidents and he runs to the door and whines when he's got to go. I didn't teach him that. He did that on day one. Still, I think mentally I prepared for the worst, so all the little things he's does when he's bad don't get to as much. Here's to hoping he doesn't turn into hell hound!
  • Hi again guys,

Been having a few issues with potty training/house breaking lately, peeing never poop. She is 8 months and only a puppy.

Luna seems to go on streaks of no accidents and then today she had another accident again, and I am super frustrated at myself.

The longest she had gone was a month, then she got spayed and begun having sporadic accidents. Chalked it up to the surgery. Her streak up to today was 2 weeks and a half until she had a accident on a dog bed , I bought last week, placed in the living room.

I was just about to take her out, our schedule is between 10:30-11PM and her previous pee break was at 7PM. I went to go brush my teeth, a little before 11 and got ready to take her out, I went back to my computer to check something and there I saw it, a large stain on her new bed. I was deflated and frustrated, we were just seconds away from leaving and I couldn't believe it.

I'm sure many of us have had a similar experience, but I felt compelled to share mine

We give her a treat party every time she pees outside, this evening she got to come back inside instantly as it was raining (she hates it). We were doing so well, not sure what I did wrong, I honestly wish she would give a signal she would pee (not sure how to train this), she gives a signal when she needs to poop by jumping at the doorknob, however nothing for pee :(
  • sunyatasunyata
    @esteves91 - There are lots of threads on potty training (I would check those out for additional suggestions), but I would start with a vet visit. Make sure there is nothing physically causing these accidents (is she peeing in her sleep, maybe a UTI, etc.). If the vet visit shows nothing, then go back to potty training 101.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • I am going to have to agree with @sunyata, take her in for a vet visit to make sure everything checks out. Especially if she is having accidents while she is laying down. Sounds very similar to what I went through with Mira after her spay. Very inconsistent accidents, but we also had problems with her potty training from the very beginning. Just better to have things checked out :)
    photo d48c316d-ce82-4a25-89fa-c1b57a673aa8_zpsqzf1t0cc.jpg
    Forever in our hearts.
  • Just to clarify she's actually not having accidents will laying down. She's have normal squat accidents :)

I am assuming this is may be because the first month together, we had her on pee pads. For the past 5 months we've hired a walker. We'll see what vet says, I'm hoping its nothing serious
  • foxy5foxy5
    Hi , my puppy is almost 10 weeks old, i had him 2.5 weeks ago and potty trained him on the turf since we live in a apartment and i cant take him out till vaccinated. He got trained in 2 days , i take him out every 2 or 3 hours he went and peed on the turf played a little and back to his crate.But yesterday and today i take him out he goes up on the turf sniffs and come back down pee next to it and i think he knows he is doing wrong. I tell him bad boy and put him in his crate for 5 min. Anyone had similar problems. Maybe he is trying me by doing this? stubbornness? or ??
  • Don't punish your puppy for peeing in the wrong place. Are you rewarding him every time he potties in the right spot? The thing is, your dog is a baby; accidents happen; your puppy can't old it; don't punish him for it.

Also, are you sure you can't take him out to potty? Is there no clean spot where other dogs don't go? Switching him from pottying on the turf to pottying outside certainly adds another step to your potty training process.

But in general, any time your puppy potties in the right place, give him high value treats, praise him and a play time with his favourite toy. With Ham, my pup, I did all three every time he pottied outside. Teach him that pottying in the right place has tons of rewards. When he pees in the wrong spot, no reward. Your dog will then choose to pee in the right spot. The thing is puppies might not be potty trained until 6 months they don't have complete control over their bladder. So it's not stubbornness. Also, two days is a short time to say he's trained.

Something else, if your turf still smells like your dog's pee, he might not want to continue peeing on it. How often are you cleaning your turf and are you using an enzyme cleaner to clean it? I've always taken Ham outside since he was 8 weeks old, and the thing is, he'll pee in the same general area, but if it still smells like he was the last dog to pee on whatever tree it was, he'll pee somewhere else.

Post edited by Justifiedgaines at 2016-10-22 16:34:53
  • foxy5foxy5
    @justifiedgaines thanks for your reply. Actually i reward him alot when he pees on the turf and play with him and give him some of his kibbles as treat. The turf gets cleaned every other day. I did not think about that. I think thats y he is doing outside the turf because its full of his pees. I will try cleanin everyday and also in use enzyme cleaner.Btw i know its too early for him to get fully trained but i read some of the puppies never had an accident. So thats what worried me. Anyway thank you.
  • Accidents are just that. Some puppies have better bladder control. If your dog has an accident it doesn't mean he's a bad dog and it doesn't mean that someone else's dog is better for not having an accident. And it certainly isn't a reason to be worried, but you have to figure out how to prevent a similar accident in the future for your dog.

Kibbles might not be a high enough value treat. I used to give Ham boiled chicken or little cheese cubes. He would only get that treat when he pottied in the right spot. Ham didn't care about getting extra kibbles because he got kibbles anyway.

If you don't use an enzyme cleaner it will definitely still smell like pee to him so hopefully that works.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)