For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Ways to boost immune system?
  • AvehAveh
    Hi everyone!

My 11 month old Shiba "Haku" recently developed a wart on his bottom eyelid about a week ago. Since all we can do is wait it out until his immune system fights it off, I was wondering if any of you may know of ways or have suggestions on boosting his immune system naturally? I hear it can takes months for an eye wart to go away, so I am hoping this will help speed up the process of getting rid of the wart. This is important to me as Haku is extremely dog-social and loves to play - but I don't want to risk him passing the wart on to other dogs. Given that the wart is benign, I feel it is not worth the many $$'s to have it chemically removed by our vet.

I'm thinking along the lines of doggy vitamins, raw eggs, and other supplements and foods. FYI Haku's current diet consists of Orijen kibble and whole raw chicken, in separate alternating meals. As you can see he already eats well, but even so he still contracted the wart, so methinks there is still room to improve his nutrition and thus his immune system!

I'm all ears and open minded. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the wart is canine papillomavirus. Vet said it's like doggy chicken pox as it's highly contagious, especially among puppies, seniors, and other dogs with weak immune systems. Once your dog has it and fights it off, they won't get it again (although they may carry it).
    Post edited by Aveh at 2013-08-13 22:31:18
  • CandyCandy
    I give our dog Organic plain yogurt on top of his cooked homemade food during spring when he's eating a lot of grass, I think it helps.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Delay vaccines until it is gone. If its severe enough, you can always get his immune levels tested via bloodwork and supplement with immune globulins if they are low
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • DeacDeac
    I used coconut oil when my zyere had a case of kennel cough. He recovered very quickly after taking it. I would give him 1 teaspoon of coconut oil and 1/2 teaspoon of honey. He loved it. I still give him a teaspoon with his kibble 3 times a week to keep his immune system up. Here is an article on it's health benefits. http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/the-health-benefits-of-coconut-oil/

Here's a pic - http://www.vegangirl.com/img/post_imgs/coconut_oil.jpg

• sunyatasunyata
    My youngest Shiba, Nola, has a severely diminished immune system (her WBC count is practically zero). She gets weekly injections of ImmunoRegulin, which seems to help keep most infections at bay even though it really does not appear to boost her WBC count. She also gets some additional vitamin C via citrus fruits (mostly clementines) and leafy greens (kale and spinach).

So far, this has kept her infections down to a minimum, although we do deal with way more infections than I would like. And like @lindsayt mentioned, Nola is unable to have any vaccinations, so I have to be very careful with her (she is a pro at getting her feet wiped with antibacterial and antiviral wipes).

I know that Nola is an extreme case, but supplementing with vitamin C rich foods does seem to help (and Nola LOVES them!).
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • AvehAveh
    Thanks! I like the sound of the coconut oil, definitely will look into that. I will keep in mind to delay vaccines and anything else that may compromise his immune system.

So yesterday I started sprinkling some canine vitamin powder over his food, a little bit of probiotic yogurt, and also squeezed an omega 3 fish oil capsule into his food. It has since only been one day (3 meals) but this morning he woke up and it looks like his wart is better already!!! It has turned a darker colour, with some parts looking like it's "burnt" and shrinking. I'm going to keep going with the food boosters. Fingers crossed! I'll be so amazed if he heals in under a month- since the vet said it could take half a year to go away!
  • amtiamti
    I feed raw and give human grade Omega 3 supplements in the form of salmon oil. I use human grade because it is more regulated than dog grade and it lists all ingredients so I can stay away from any possible allergens. I didn't know your immune system can fight off warts.
  • We give Kai vitamin C. Just the tablets from Trader Joe's. She gets it to help balance out her pH so she doesn't get UTIs but vitamin C is an all around immune system helper. She gets a 500mg tablet broken in half every other day in a pill pocket. We can give her it every day, but she does well on this does and she is as healthy as a horse. You can give up to 500mg a day as per our vet. It might help you out. Also, I've heard Lysine is good to give for immune support and you can get that at a vet's.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)