For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Shiba breeder in Washington died, dogs needing rescue
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    This summer a breeding kennel in rural Washington state is closing down. Pam Carlson, the Seattle Purebred Dog Rescue Shiba rep, has been asked to place the 10 Shibas there. She has assembled a trusty team of local volunteers, including myself. So far we have pulled 5 of them, given them baths, vaccinations, dewormers, microchips and flea meds. The dogs are now in foster homes. They are very shy, but they are learning to respond positively to strangers. One sweet old girl, Hana, was found to have a mast cell tumor. Her foster home got her into the vet to have the tumor removed the DAY after she was rescued! Hana was also spayed that day, and discovered to have closed pyometra! Hana is now resting in her foster home. Had we waited another week to pull her she likely would have died from a ruptured uterus. It breaks my heart to know there are other females there possibly suffering from pyo and other hidden maladies that we can't see until they are at the groomer and Vet. Another sweet girl, Candy, may have a a metabolic disease and we are still having her diagnosed. This weekend she will be spayed with the rest of her kennel mates.

The costs for these dogs has exceeded our expectations, and we are in need of funds to cover everything and allow us to pull at least 5 more. We are working with Seattle Purebred Dog Rescue, a 501c3 non-profit organization that has a special fund for shibas. If you would like to donate toward our effort, please go to SPDR's website:

http://www.spdrdogs.org/help/seven_ways.html, and click the donate button. Or mail a check to the address on their website. Our biggest needs are cash to cover ongoing veterinary expenses and a few supplies, and FOSTER HOMES!

If you would like to help one of these shibas learn to be a pet again, please contact us. So far the Shibas have been pretty good with other dogs, and have ignored cats. They are coming around quickly. Little Houdini was a shrieking mess when being put into the crate for the first time, but by the end of the day he was giving kisses at the vet's office. I have meet each and every one of the dogs, and they are worth saving.

No name girl, still needs rescue:

No name boy, waiting to be saved, now named Koji and in a foster home:

Lacey, still needs rescue:

Hana, feeling better after a good bath, in the arms of her forever home:

Koji, in his new foster home, recovering from fly strike:

Hunter, still needs rescue:

Hana, with her new mommy:

Daisy, saved, waiting for us to take her:
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
    Post edited by lindsayt at 2013-11-19 13:44:05
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    Wow, this is so sad. They're clearly very well bred Shibas, too. :( Thank you to you and all the other volunteers for getting them out, and I hope they find homes soon.
  • amtiamti
    What beautiful dogs... what dirty dogs... hope they all find good homes. I would take one in if I was closer... my Kaji is great at getting other dogs out of their shells and playing. He's still working on Sheba though.

What is fly strike? Does the rescue pay to pull these dogs or are they given by the ex-breeder
    Post edited by amti at 2013-07-31 03:30:04
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Those poor, beautiful dogs... Despite their condition, you can tell that they really have so much potential to be loved! Koji seems to be reaching out for human interaction -- and I just really, really want to Dremel those nails. And is Lacey a cream? It's honestly a little hard to tell...

Will check out the SPDR site. Please keep us updated.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Fly strike happens on ear tips usually when dogs are left outdoors in all weather. The flies bite the ear tips and they can shrivel up and turn black, or become infected.

Yes, Lacey is a cream (it's shocking).
  • amtiamti
    I did notice the black tips on their ears and thought it was just grime. Ugh... that's terrible. My Taisho was left outdoors for about a year and was really dirty, but it is obvious these poor dogs have been left out for years. They deserve better.
  • CrystalWolfCrystalWolf
    This absolutely breaks my heart. I so badly would love to foster. But I am on the other end of the states :( I just got paid today. So after I pay all my bills I should have a few bucks to spare. Won't be much though.
  • ArcticArctic
    Just like @CrystalWolf I'll be making a small donation. I'd volunteer to foster one of these cuties if I was closer.
  • sunyatasunyata
    Thanks for posting this, Lindsay! I saw the posts on FB and would have linked it myself this morning.

And a huge thanks to all the volunteers who are working with these dogs. This is why it is so important to get the word out about puppy mills and BYB's. These poor dogs are living in terrible conditions with little to no human interaction to supply puppies to pet stores and internet brokerage sites, or even to those buying directly from the kennel.

It is not just passion that makes us point out bad breeders and bad breeding practices, it is because these dogs deserve so much better. ANY dog deserves better than this.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • Have cross posted this discussion to the Bay Area and Sacramento Shiba Inu Meetups.
  • RikkaRikka
    Once I get home from work, I'll be donating.

I could also look into what options I could do as far as homing (or fostering) Lacey. My only concern is how Sagan would take it since he's been the only dog in the house -- great with other dogs outside, but inside, I'm a bit worried.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Lacey is very shy, and will not go out of her way to bother him, imo, but if you want to come and meet her when we pull her, even if it's just to help with grooming and transport, that would be very appreciated.
  • jennjenn
    @lindsayt I know we talked via email and I'm still more than willing to do whatever I can to help (grooming, petting, bathing). I'll make a donation as well so you guys can pull the other dogs. I'll talk to my boyfriend again about potentially fostering. What are the other females like? (No name girl, Daisy)
    Jenn, Shiba Slave to Rigby / http://hellorigby.com
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    There are 3 females still on location needing to be pulled, all quite shy, but not aggressive. Daisy Mae, Hana and Candy are all sweet and shy, but doing very well in their foster homes. We are trying to coordinate a day and volunteers and funds to get the remaining dogs over 1-2 days. I will post updates here for when our plans are cemented. @jenn, I'm sorry if I failed to get back to you via email, I set it aside as things fell into place and forgot to review it, but I really do appreciate the offer and will totally keep you updated. We need grooming help, and people willing to transport to our Renton vet right after grooming, and thank you tons for the donations everyone :)
  • jennjenn
    @lindsayt No problem! I know you're busy and just want to be available if you guys need the help. I'm in the Renton-area so I'd be happy to help with transport there if needed. :)
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    I was asked to update this post by Pam Carlson, prez of SIRRA:

"Can you tell the people on the shiba forum that they need to e-mail me their name if they have made an online donation? SPDR can't really sort out which donations are for shibas unless I tell them. Or they can mail a check. Use kato.dogandahalf@gmail.com. Thanks!"
  • amtiamti
    I posted "for shibas" in the item/goods area and put my donation amount as price per item. That should be clear, right?
  • Where on the site do we put the info? It made me donate through PayPal so I said it was for the 10 shiba rescue. Would that be ok?
  • RikkaRikka
    Hm, I wasn't under the impression that you had to choose which Shiba it went to, I thought it went to all of them (in a sense). It doesn't bother me too much where it goes, though. My boyfriend and I donated separately last night, his name being Jason V, and mine Lauren D.
  • amtiamti
    Rikka, it looks like the rescue works with different breeds. Without specifying, the donation may just go to their main fund.
  • Mailed my donation to them. Did an email letting them know it was coming and that the check would be marked "For Shibas". Got an email back confirming that donation would go for Shibas.
  • RikkaRikka
    Okay, I sent them an email.
  • ToshiToshi
    I too marked it for shibas in the items area.
  • jennjenn
    I marked it as well on PayPal, but just sent an email just to make sure it goes to help the Shibas. :)
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Thank you guys sooo much. This will make a huge difference for these dogs.
  • @lindsayt- Any updates on the situation? Hope that the remaining Shibas now have foster homes.
  • Yes, I was wondering if there were any updates myself.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    We have some great foster homes in line (we need adopters still), are arraigning transports for others to safe havens, and will be pulling some more within the week if all goes according to plans and if we get enough funds to cover everything. It's a lot of leg work, and we have to coordinate around people's schedules.
  • what do they have now and whats the goal fund wise?
  • i donated a substantial amt haha. most I have donated ever actually but i figured this time its going to 10 dogs not 1.
  • Koji's momKoji's mom
    Wondering how this rescue going and the fundraising...if any news...
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    We are in the middle of another pull this morning for some of the very fearful dogs. Wish us luck :)
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Dogs in hand and off to the groomer :)
  • redcattooredcattoo
    What awesome teamwork for everyone who was involved in this situation!

I hope that people recognize what an effort has been put forth and take a moment to remember that small things, like donations, can help in big ways for all local area Shiba organizations working so hard to be guardians for the Shibas who are in need of knowing they are royalty and shouldn't be taken for granted.
  • Great news to hear this!

@lindsayt- Let me know if you want me to look for adoption homes in the Northern CA or Bay Area. Can put info on both the Sacramento and Bay Area Meetup websites.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    We need foster homes in Washington or Oregon so we can do home visits, but thanks tho!

Here are the photos from today:

Arriving at the groomer with some wonderful volunteers ;)

A production line, very much a team effort (Nutmeg, Simon and Hunter)

Hunter with two awesome volunteers

Simon decided resistance was indeed futile

Miss Nutmeg, formerly "No Name Female" being cleaned up by her new foster

Hunter all clean at the Vet with his temporary fosters, who also have decided to keep his mother Daisy Mae. They are also fostering Candy, and brought her to the Vet to hand her off to her new permanent home. She looked great and was a totally different dog after 2 weeks of fostering
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Hunter during the bath

Hunter at the Vet, happy to be clean

Simon during the bath with me and the other volunteers

Simon with the Vet

Simon and previous rescue girl Candy

Nutmeg during the bath
  • Those poor dogs, but they look so much better, already, after being bathed. Hunter looked happy! Nutmeg is gorgeous, but she does look scared, as does Simon.

anyway, so glad that they are out of there, and you and the other volunteers were able to make this happen.
  • jennjenn
    Oh they look so much better after the grooming! So glad you guys were able to pull them. And wow, Nutmeg is a gorgeous girl!
  • sunyatasunyata
    Oh those poor pups! But I am so glad that they are getting happy endings. :)

@Lindsayt - Thanks for all your hard work, and thanks to all the volunteers!
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Yea, if I was a new dog owner and didnt already have a couch full of dogs, I would totally be taking some of these dogs home with me as they are very sweet and will be awesome pets (and they cleaned up great). I may still take one to foster if we can't get enough homes in time, but I need to wait till my pup is old enough to vaccinate.
  • Koji's momKoji's mom
    Thank you Lindsay and everyone! Simon is breaking my heart -the way he's hiding his face...Hunter looks so happy...yay...

Love seeing the pictures - I hope the fundraising is going well?
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Poor Simon. He was so fearful when I went into his kennel. He darted right into his "shelter", and then froze, allowing me to lift him out and carry him with no struggle. Poor little guy just wants to be invisible and hide, and is very gentle.

I am astounded at the generosity of the donors. It has literally saved some of these dogs' lives. My sincere thank you to those who have donated. I don't know specific amounts or donors, but Pam gave me a total figure and I was blown away. The amount has paid for all medical care for 8 dogs so far (spay, neuter, surgery, lab work, microchips, vaccines, grooming, transport) and we are arranging a third pull currently, as soon as we have fosters lined up.
  • So there are a couple more that need to be pulled???

If so, would a few more donations help?
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    There are 2 more that we have permission to take, but in actuality, they should all go (5 additional dogs that the owner is bonded to). It will be a long process of the owner surrendering just a few at a time on their terms, so we have to work around it...They all need to be spayed/neutered/teeth cleaned, chipped, and vaccinated, so additional donations would be most welcome.
  • CaliaCalia
    Lindsay, would it be possible to offer to spay/neuter the ones she's "keeping"? Even if she can't be talked into giving up the remaining dogs, at least doing that would help prevent more pups being born into that situation.
  • RikkaRikka
    That's super cool. Thanks for updating!
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    That's a good idea, I will pass it onto Pam. I know the females they are holding onto are older, but the males are young.
  • @lindsayt is it possible to adopt these dogs?
    Post edited by jaerynkarex3 at 2013-08-13 22:19:37
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    YES! Please fill out an SPDR adoption application and contact Pam Carlson (the SPDR rep). They are all doing marvelously in their foster homes, and they are all very nice dogs.
  • amtiamti
    Oh my gosh, these are some beautiful dogs! I'm glad they have nice personalities too! That photo of Simon... too cute and funny! Gotta love that boy!!! :D

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)