For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Sudden shedding - inner coat and now outer coat
  • ladyritaladyrita
    Going to make an appointment with the vet in a bit but thought I'd put it out there anyway.

It's winter here in Melbourne, Australia and it has been pretty chilly the past few weeks. Tsumo started shedding his inner coat which he has done before (Melbourne can have warm days in winter - don't ask) so I didn't think much of it but it usually isn't a full blow of the inner coat. Just noticed today that he is losing thicker, red outer coat hairs and when I gentle pull at his fur, they come right out!!!

We found a little pea sized lump on him 3 weeks ago and the vet did a test thinking it was a benign histiocytoma but his lab results came back really strange - no histiocytoma cells or tumor cells, just inflammatory cells so she said we'd monitor it's growth. I applied some antibacterial and it disappeared. Wondering if he could still be having an allergic reaction to this stuff a whole month after I applied it (only applied once for 2 days) and after he's had 2 baths (one with his regular shampoo and one with just water to help brush out the loose fur)

Apart from the hair loss, he is happy and healthy - eating well (he's on a raw food diet) and playing nicely at the dog park. His behavior has not changed in the slightest and he isn't sleeping more or anything. Just weighed him and he hasn't lost any weight. Also his coat hasnt dulled and remains shiney despite the hair loss. Anyone else experienced this?
    Post edited by ladyrita at 2013-07-30 23:44:59
  • redcattooredcattoo
    How old is he? Has he been trough winter before?

I ask because beginning of winter (in my warm area though) is a shedding cycle for my boy, which I found odd. In some ways what you describe just sounds like a normal coat blow?

Is he getting bald areas? If so are they inflamed? Then I would have more concern or if you been through this season with him several times and previously he didn't blow his coat at this seasonal cycle.
  • ladyritaladyrita
    Hi redcattoo,

He is three, we've had him since he was a puppy so he's been through three winters. The first winter he still had his puppy coat so I won't count that. Last year he got incredibly plush and had the most luxurious coat. This year he was growing a fair bit of inner coat and then suddenly started losing it about a week after I applied the antibacterial. This could be a coincidence. We have double glazed windows and my (or his haha) room gets warm during the day and he loves sun baking so it could be a normal coat blow although losing his outer coat is worrying me :(
  • ladyritaladyrita
    No bald areas, no inflammation.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @ladyrita - If you did a search for coat blow/shedding, you would have most likely run up on a likely cause for this. Every few shedding cycles, Shibas generally blow both their undercoat and shed a large amount of guard hairs. This is most likely what is happening, but I would take him to the vet just to rule out any other medical conditions.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    This is my favorite part of the coat blow cycle...
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • ladyritaladyrita
    Thanks Sunyata! Will put off the vet visit for now :) I guess what I thought was Tsumo blowing his coat in the past wasn't actually him blowing his coat at all. I assumed him losing his undercoat in the Spring was the extent of blowing his coat...how wrong I was!!!

Lindsay T - it's about to get a whole lotta interesting. Took Sunyata's advice and did more snooping around the forum and found something you said back in 2009: "they will look dreadful and appear to be quite naked" - sounds about right :P
  • We are in South Florida, and this is actually the first year (she's 4), our female shiba "blew" her coat. So when I saw chunks coming out, I took her to the vet.The vet told us to brush the clumps out, as it will help for regrowth. Also, to give her Omega 3s as it will help the skin and coat. It took about a month to get back to normal. Good luck.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)