For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Socializing new rescue dog
  • Post edited by sunyata at 2013-07-31 09:32:22
  • CrystalWolfCrystalWolf
    I'd say for starters let him watch from a distance all he wants. Once they are gone and out of site praise him with a treat. Same when meeting friends dogs. Lots and lots of praise. But until he is more constable with you and you with him hold off on alot of face to face meeting especially on his territory. Start if slow and let him watch from a distance them move up to taking him on walks with your friends dogs. Keep it posative and its crucial for praise and no bad experience. Any face to face needs to be closely monitored. But make sure you are not stressed or anxious because they can sense that. Good luck. Any pics or any habits or personality traits. Looks like this is your first post so tell us about yourself, the dogs name. We love details here in this forum.
  • curlytailscurlytails
  • amtiamti
    Do you think your dog is scared? What do you mean by a scream? Is he howling at the other dog or barking/growling?

My mom's dog Taisho was not very well socialized when we got him 7 months ago. He was 2 1/2 years old and would try to lunge at any dog that came near us. He would bare his teeth, bark and growl like a crazy dog. He's gotten a lot better. I don't know if you have another dog or not, but we do and our dog Kaji was a great help in getting Taisho a little tamer. Taisho trusted Kaji right away since Kaji was a pup and smaller, and is under the impression everyone (including dogs) loves him. Between Kaji and daily walks and outings, Taisho learned not all dogs are bad and they aren't all interested in him. I also realized Taisho was resource guarding his owners (my mom and me), so we stopped petting other dogs on walks. As long as we don't extend our hand to other dogs and keep a reasonable distance, we can chat with other dog owners and he will usually ignore them now. We still do not feel comfortable getting too close and hold the leash very close. We make sure we always praise him whenever he is being quiet around other dogs too.

Here is a really good post with a good video on how to train a dog aggressive dog. I have not used this method since Taisho is not treat motivated. Look for the video by Dr Sophia Yin: http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/8373/help-my-shiba-is-training-tips-for-the-new-owner/p1

Good luck!
    Post edited by amti at 2013-07-31 03:40:43
  • dhelsingdhelsing
    Good advice to give him time and space to adjust. Good idea to let him watch from a distance and if he seems anxious, limit his exposure. Based on my experience with 2 adult Shibas rescued from a puppy mill, these dogs are not well socialized with people or other dogs. I've gotten used to letting people know, as they approach, that my dog is very shy. Take it very slow. It may take weeks or months. It took our female a couple of months before her curiosity outweighed her fear of strange people and dogs. Pull off the sidewalk or road to let others pass. After a while he'll be more comfortable and you may see his curiosity start to take over. You may find that your pup is more comfortable with other Shibas than with other breeds at first. Give him time and give him space. Don't force interaction. When he starts to initiate - my girl will lean forward and sniff - then follow his lead.
  • I guess I should rephrase it in a different way. Keiko seems to be an alpha dog. He is not shy at all when it comes to other dogs. He tends to actually be more on the dominating side with other dogs when he has come across them during our walks. We don't know if this is him wanting to play or attack the dog.

When we have introduced him to two different dogs, that our friends have, he was off his leash and interacted with them fine and they became good friends. They did not fight at all. When we are walking and he sees another dog he starts to pull on the leash to get to the other dog. If we are at a distance, he won't he'll just watch. We have had a few of our neighbors bring their dogs up to Keiko, even after we say that it is not a good idea. Keiko, then lunges at them and barks/Shiba screams at the dog. Then our neighbors proceed to say something like I guess he's not a very friendly dog or he's not a happy one. One of the times, i was in the middle of picking up Keiko's poop and keiko was right next to me and the lady just walked right up and did not even ask. I felt bad because Keiko jumped at her dog, but it was kind of her fault wasn't?

So I guess what is a better way to introduce him to other dogs and to get to the point that when he sees another dog he just ignores or continues on with his business. I hope that this makes sense. Cause I read a lot of stuff on puppies, but there is limited on rescues.

Also, with his past owners he was an only dog. Then the people that they gave him to had another dog and the two did not get a long. Just some background info.
  • jennjenn
  • CrystalWolfCrystalWolf
    Well if he does that then you will have to decipher on your own. Riku pulls and tries to get at other dogs because he wants to meet them. I do not have a lot of ques on how a shiba acts when being aggressive but as long as teeth are not showing and fur is not standing on edge those are major signs of aggressiveness. When he lunged at the other dog did you get the sense he was being aggressive? He may not know how to act and the common courtesies for meeting strange dogs. He could be excited and just doesn't know how to act.

You will want to take some advice on other forum members but most of what I say still stays the same the only thing I will change is that if someone wants to introduce their dog to yours make him sit and calm down before you will allow the dogs to greet. This may be hard to do when you have people just walk up to you. If you see them coming in your direction call out to the, and let them know they need to be introduced slowly and he needs to sit before you will let him say hi. Always carry treats with you. To praise good behavior and to get him to sit and to show him these are good experiences.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    I agree with @jenn, it sounds like you might want to search information on leash reactive dogs.

Not because my boys are leash reactive, but just because when we are together on leash that is my time with them not their time with other dogs, I don't let them greet other dogs. If the occasion arises by someone invading our space or it is a dog they know from off leash time, I allow 4 or 5 seconds of sniffing and then back them off. I want them to know when on leash attention is with me and it is not time for them to socialize with other dogs of their choosing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)