For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Cohabitating Shibas
  • aevansaevans
  • BootzBootz
    My honest opinion. I think you guys jumped the gun.

"They behaved fairly well. Some growling, a little showing of teeth, but for the most part there was no problem."

If they're growling and showing teeth, you shouldn't have taken the new shiba home. I would have given it more time and see if their attitude change. Just because they didnt attack each other and "Only" show teeth and growled, doesnt mean they will get along well. Growling is good because the dog is giving a warning. If they actually just jumped into a fight, then that means you have to work on your shiba.

Spray bottle - bad idea. Don't do it.

Right now your new shiba just jumped into your current shibas territory. So i'm not surprised he's acting the way he is.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    I would do a search and find the threads that deal with multiple dogs. I know there is a good one that talks about the issues and how to slowly introduce them when adding another dog into the family. Every situation is going to seem different, but the underlying issues are the same. Online it is also hard to give exact advice, so if you do believe there is an issue, I would seek a good positive trainer or behaviorist to come in to do an assessment.

One place I train (they use Victoria Stillwell philosophy to train) they have a special packages that include home visits, so this way they get to know your dogs at home and at class if that is necessary to help with individual issues.
  • CrystalWolfCrystalWolf
    Don't use the spray bottle. You do not want to teach Gunther to no longer vocalize his awnings and just attack.
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Regarding female making a male act differently, your female is too young.
    As for what people have said, I think seeking a behaviorist is your best bet, plus it's only been a few days if I'm not mistaken since they were firs introduced.
    Well best of luck and again, please use the advanced search, I have read a few topics on this type of situation before.
  • sunyatasunyata

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)