For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Super Rant - Allergies and Treats
  • DabishDabish
    I didn't really know where to put this, but I just need to vent to people who probably understand.
    I have a 10 year old Dachshund with horrible allergies that we've been trying to pinpoint for a while.
    We switched him to grain free Wellness and his itching has been getting a lot better, but is still there. We're going to try Grain free Ocean wellness next to see if that takes away more of the itching.

But the problem I'm having is with people FEEDING MY DOG.
    We have a unique living situation, my mom owns her own assisted livings and our dog lives at one of her houses. The clients love him, and he loves them, and whenever family members come over to visit a lot of them bring our dog treats.

I've told them NUMEROUS times, as politely as possible, "Please don't bring any treats for Cosmo. We're still trying to work on clearing up his allergies." BUT THEY DON'T LISTEN. I caught him chewing on a treat the other day. And that night, he was thumping away all night, miserable, scratching.

It's so frustrating, having people sneak him treats and bits of food even though I say "please don't."
    IMO it's like if I went to their house, having one of them politely telling me "please don't give my child any candy, she has a gluten allergy" and then ignoring their request and sneaking their children reeces cups. I really just want to yell, STOP FEEDING MY DOG. YOU HAVE YOUR OWN DOG TO GIVE TREATS TO. :-L X(

[mod edit: changed category and title to reflect post]
    Post edited by sunyata at 2013-07-15 11:54:43
  • LosechLosech
    I don't say please anymore. Simple as that. I'm quite rude about it now, actually, since I am just sick of having to tell people over and over not to give my dog food that will harm him.
    I provide Conker-safe treats if they really wanna give him one.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    I agree that is really rude and some people just don't understand. The best advice I can offer is have a huge jar of treats he can eat that people can grab and feed him when they come by. While still not ideal as it is hard to regulate meal portions, at least it will hopefully help curb the allergy issue as you work on it by him only getting treats you know are appropriate.

It is always hard to balance the people in our lives and our dogs if we really want to be socially nice about it.
  • CaliaCalia
    Yeah, I hate when people give treats to my pups without my permission, who knows what crap could be in those. I often go to the extreme, telling them that the food might kill my dog and asking if they want to pay for the vet bills.

Have you thought of supplying treats for the guests to give him? Maybe they'd be less incline to bring their own if they knew that there were treats already available and at no cost to them.
  • Another option would be that instead of telling them to bring nothing, to specify only what he can have---so if they bring the right kind of treat, that's totally fine. You can supplement this plan by having treats they can give if a treat they brought has something he can't have.

For instance, maybe telling people they can bring him treats, but only grain-free fish treats? I know this can be hard if the diet is strict enough (we're just not moving Zim off of a Kangaroo, grain-free only diet so I totally feel you if this is unworkable) but it seems like they just want to bring stuff to be nice to the dog, so maybe making it so they can do it right will at least alleviate the problem.

Good luck.
  • DabishDabish
    These are actually great suggestions, the thought of providing our own treats for people to give never occurred to me. The only thing is whe haven't quite put our foot on what the allergy is, grain free has been an improvement but not perfect. So ATM I'd just rather have no one give him anything at all, until we're sure about what's safe and what's making him react. Poor bugger, he's been so uncomfortable :[
    Post edited by Dabish at 2013-07-14 12:11:43
  • AvehAveh
    Instead of those biscuit-type treats, what about treats that are all meat? I'm thinking chicken jerky, beef tripe, pork liver, dried sardines, dried cuttlefish, etc. There's a slimmer chance that your dog would be allergic to any of these treats, as they're sort of like feeding raw. You can even make your own treats so that way you know exactly what is going in then. There are lots of recipes floating around.

On a side note, I feed Haku Orijen kibble when I don't have time, and a raw chicken meal when I do. I also give him high quality meat treats. Because he gets fed so well, he shuns any type of biscuit-type treats or anything else with an excessive amount of grain. Sooooo maybe you could train your dog to reject treats by stranger! I bet they're giving him cheap treats anyway.
  • CaliaCalia
    You could always bag up some of his kibble and tell the people that those are treats, many can't tell the difference.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    @Calia has a good suggestion if you allocate his current kibble as treats and let people give him that, plus it helps you track how much he is eating better.

If the allergies are hard to isolate on kibble, you may want to consider researching raw diets, specifically the prey raw diet that centers on 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver, and 5% other organs. This quickly eliminates the usual suspects like grains, plus if it is a chicken allergy you will also be able to eliminate that quickly.

Problem with allergies is it can be so many things and not even always diet, it can be environmental from grasses, to pollens, to even the detergents you use on bedding, and it can even be flea dermititis (depending on your flea medication because even oral flea meds don't prevent flea bites it just prevents them from reproducing after biting your dog). Good luck in your quest to help eliminate the itching and finding ways to let other people feel connected to your dog via treats that are approved by you as you seek relief from itching.
  • MayamaMayama
    My bf has the tendency of feeding Maya whatever he wants to despite my warnings. If I get angry at him, he usually get angrier and says my silly "experiments" aren't working and Maya is still itchy anyways. It was till one day I played it out differently that made him really stopped. The day after he fed something I told him not to, I pretended to be very sad and told him Maya was super itchy that day and her face was covered in blood when I got home. He asked "is it because of the food?", I answered "maybe, I don't know", and he said "I think we should stop feeding her random things..." bingo!

Sometimes it's easier to play the pity card. Maybe show them a picture of Cosmo during his worst days and tell them this happened last time someone fed him grain, chicken, beef, or whatever...

When I take Maya to the office with me, I would always bring a pack of her treats as well. Somehow many people find it fulfilling to feed her, and it's always easier to have appropriate food around.

If you're still trying to figure out what he's allergic to you can try out Glacier Peak's allergy test. Maya seems to be doing better after we avoided all the trigger foods. You can find out more in this thread:
    http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/comment/204517

Hope he gets better soon!
    Shiba Inu Maya's blog and FB page
  • SayaSaya
    I hope you can find out what the dog is allergic to soon must be sad to go through. :(

Bella is minor enviromental allergies luckily not too bad, but still.

Dink our catahoula mix chicken and turkey gave her gas and loose poo. :\

She did fine with raw chicken and turkey, but cooked or kind in kibble she had issues with. Man her gas was horrible.

I do know some dog owner's who dog is allergic to raw and kibble chicken..

I do feel your pain once at the dog park this guy with five huskies came into the dog park it was nuts so many huskies in one time. Plus the three husky dogs from other owners so total of eight huskies. haha

Everything went fine Saya and Bella were having fun then all sudden the guy leaves the dog park goes to car and brings a big bag of ol roy dog treats. D: OMG yucky.

He then perceded to pass out the treats to all the dogs. I was like What the? he gave Bella a treat I told him not to, but too late he did. I ran and got the treat from her. She is fine with dogs, but is a resource guarder and you know how dogs are one dog has a treat all have to smell it.

I got to Bella in time took treat and three it in trash.

He tried give Saya one luckily she is smart she dropped the yucky treat and didn't want it at all. I told him to stop giving treats your going to cause a fight!

I'm all for giving dogs treats, but not at such an uncontrolled area as dog park. Some dogs resource guard and some who do fine with dogs they know some resource guard from strange dogs. Bah people sometime!

I hope you can get it through people to not give this dog wrong treats. If there is a treat that works for the dog maybe offer that? Or kibble Saya and Bella will eat kibble as a treat.

Providing your own treats is better way to go have them give those instead of the ones with the allergen.

Explain it's like giving a kid who is allergic to peanut butter results are not good for the kid/dog or the parent/owner.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • amtiamti
    Ugh, I hate it when people don't listen! We have a loveable cat. Yes, he was almost 18 pounds of love. He was a really big cat for starters, but all the neighbors he went to (5) were buying his love by feeding him. They had treats, kibble, bowls just for him. He could come freely from house to house and they all welcomed him with open arms. I asked them all not to feed him since I was trying to diet him because his steroid shots were making him gain too much weight. Most of my neighbors said okay but one said she was feeding him the best kibble money could buy so it was good stuff. I tried to explain to her that he needs to eat at home, but she didn't hear me. Another neighbor that told me they wouldn't feed Vader anymore told me a few months later that every time they feed him, he throws up in their house, so they were going to stop. It sounds evil, but boy was I happy. I think the neighbor that was buying the premium cat food stopped feeding him too for that reason. Vader's lost weight now and looks great. But unfortunately, I try to keep him indoors as much as possible because of his allergies. When he gets out, my neighbors usually call me after a few hours of keeping him. You'd think they'd get their own pets instead of hoarding mine, right?!
  • DabishDabish
    I've been researching raw diets for about 8 months, but I'm still unsure about it. I think it's something I'm going to transition my puppy to when she's around 6 months, but for Cosmo, I've been trying all summer to integrate small bits of raw chicken as treats to see if he's interested, but he just turns his nose up at it lol.

I think for now ill just put kibble in a treat jar, and put the jar on the stand by the front door so if people want to give him tid bits they can. He and my cat have a vet appointment coming up, I think I'm going to ask for a grass allergy test to see if that's part if the problem....if so that explains why he never wants to play outside anymore but is perfectly fine playing fetch in the house
  • DabishDabish
    and also maybe explains why keep trying to potty in the garden!!! He never used to do that before, but my mom and I keep catching him and are like :O COSMO NOOO!! just go on the grass!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (4)