For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Getting fat....
  • takumi2takumi2
    I have 5 1/2 year old male shiba, Takumi. I feed him 2 times a day (1/2 cup at a time). I rotate food reguraly (Orijen 6 fish Natural Balance sweet potato and fish formula, and Solid Gold Barking at the Moon. He used to weigh 37 lbs (Yes, he is a big shiba), but I weighed him about a month ago and found out he weighed 45 lbs!! I used to feed him 3/4 cup times 2 a day, but now I cut it to 1/2 cup times 2 a day. I try to make him exercise as much as I can, but he seems reluctant to do it because of the heat here in South Florida (I of course try not to walk him during the day when it's hot). I feel he does not like to run as much as he used to, maybe becuase of his weight?.... But I still manage to walk him at least total of 2-3 hours a day. It's been almost a month since I cut his food to 1/2 cup at a time, but he did not lose weight much....
    Looking at the instruction on a bag of Natural Balance on how much I should feed him, it says 2 1/2-3 cup a day for 30-40 lbs dogs. He eats much less than that, which makes me wonder if I feed him too little as well.... I can't say he is an active dog though. He is very lazy in the house. He likes to go walking tho.
    Speaking of treats, I give him variety of some low or no fat treats only one or two times a day. And I admit I give him some table food (human food) once in a while, but very very small piece....
    He also gets no fat yorurt 1/3 cup a day every day, and bully stick, which takes him to finish about a week.

Does he still eat too much?

Plesae advise. Thanks!
  • LosechLosech
    Don't follow the guidelines on the bags, they are almost always wrong for adult dogs, especially low-activity dogs. If I fed my dogs according to the recommended amount on any given bag they would be obese.
    Instead, feed him the amount that keeps him trim and in shape. Keep feeding him the lesser amount and if he doesn't begin to lose weight, increase his activity or reduce the food a bit more. I'd cut out most of the yogurt to a small spoonful a day, not 1/3rd cup. The bully stick is probably fine since it takes him a week to work through.

Also, take a look at this thread:
    http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/12185/activities-for-an-obese-shiba#Item_5
    Post edited by Losech at 2013-07-10 21:39:16
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    Yes, since we already have a thread on this topic, and there are other threads linked in that thread on the same topic, I'm going to close this thread. Feel free to reask your question in one of the other threads, if you like, but you should be considering calorie count, how much he needs, and going by that, not by what the bag says.

Here's a good feeding calculator: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-feeding-tips/dog-food-calculator/
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions